Buffets are back....

40 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I’ve seen it done. Every item on a separate plate. You pick and choose. Or take two if you want a larger portion. Rectangular plates to fit on a tray.

Yes. When I started on Royal in the 80's Food in WindJammer was on the plates, Cafeteria Style. Even had trays carry multiple dishes

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes. When I started on Royal in the 80's Food in WindJammer was on the plates, Cafeteria Style. Even had trays carry multiple dishes

I remember trays. The pre plating must have been before my time.

I have been to Colon Corral. There is no way a cruise could be worse. Although I have never cruised before, feeding this many people requires efficiency and a buffet is a necessity. I am guessing they will have servers putting food on people's plates as they request them.

4 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I have been to Colon Corral. There is no way a cruise could be worse.

I agree. It can’t be worse. I’ve only been to Golden Corral twice in my life. First time I got sick with vomiting and diarrhea. I gave it a few years before giving it a second shot. Second time I wasn’t even halfway home when I felt an explosion coming. Haven’t been back since. 

I have been to Colon Corral. There is no way a cruise could be worse.

I agree. It can’t be worse. I’ve only been to Golden Corral twice in my life. First time I got sick with vomiting and diarrhea. I gave it a few years before giving it a second shot. Second time I wasn’t even halfway home when I felt an explosion coming. Haven’t been back since. 

Lol Colon Corral. I’ve never been there and have no interest in ever going - especially after Tapi’s runny endorsement.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I remember trays. The pre plating must have been before my time.

Yes, WJ also had Tea Time in afternoon with Special bells sounding off Daily at 3pm. Would serve little sweets and finger sandwich's. Was a Single Father raising 3 on my own and every other year when on Leave we'd take a Cruise. Unless with a Parent Royal requested kids under 10 be with a Parent all times, which were, and in WJ carry Trays for them. My Girls 4 and 11, Boy was 7 figured he could help dad while girls sat at Table. Plates in WJ  were not plastic, as we are walking back to the girls I hear CRASH, as weight of his porcelain plates shifted off his tray hitting the Tile Floor breaking into one hundred pieces... 

• Haha 1

Nothing new at the end compared to what was said before. It just suggested again that we will see changes and some of these will be for the long run. Hence some sort of Windjammer we will have going forward but you will not have anymore the passengers be able to take the food, instead the food wil be served by a crew member. RCL will surely use this opportunity to think of ways to reduce the food waste at this venue, hence plates with mountains full of food will very likely be a thing for the past.

I don't understand why some people keep mentioning reducing food waste at the buffet over and over again as if it is such a huge problem. Everything about cruising is an indulgence. What about the carbon footprint of cruising. Why focus on the food? There always seems to be plenty to go around.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I don't understand why some people keep mentioning reducing food waste at the buffet over and over again as if it is such a huge problem. Everything about cruising is an indulgence. What about the carbon footprint of cruising. Why focus on the food? There always seems to be plenty to go around.

Why would any cruiser be worried (or care about) the carbon footprint of cruising? If someone were so concerned they could just not cruise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pratique said:

You need to start somewhere, so why not start there. In general there is a lot of food waste on a cruise ship if this can be reduced in a venue where this food waste is the highest why not. All of us here in this forum want to continue cruising and these kind of vacations are surely not the best for the environment, but why can't we support workflows that will make this type of vacation less harmfull to the environment.

35 minutes ago, Pratique said:

People love to attempt to control others through correction and language. By manipulating an argument or topic they make themselves 'right' even if their argument is flawed or off-topic.

You don't have to defend your position if you label the other person as bad or take the moral high ground!

Edited by ToroAzul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

Lol Colon Corral. I’ve never been there and have no interest in ever going - especially after Tapi’s runny endorsement.

Come on. Free band-aids in the spaghetti! 

21 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Exactly!  Seems most people go cruising so they can indulge in the things they wouldn't do at home.  Buffets are very popular (except to the super elite who wouldn't be caught dead eating anywhere but their specialty restaurants) and regardless of how food will be served, they will still be there in some form.  If someone is concerned about food waste on a ship, maybe they shouldn't be on a ship. What about all the alcohol that is served?  Do they think that should be limited?  Seems there are a lot of armchair quarterbacks on these boards.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Exactly!  Seems most people go cruising so they can indulge in the things they wouldn't do at home.  Buffets are very popular (except to the super elite who wouldn't be caught dead eating anywhere but their specialty restaurants) and regardless of how food will be served, they will still be there in some form.  If someone is concerned about food waste on a ship, maybe they shouldn't be on a ship. What about all the alcohol that is served?  Do they think that should be limited?  Seems there are a lot of armchair quarterbacks on these boards.

It's about only taking things on your plate that you will eat and not have half full plates ending in the garbage. This is not about cruising this is about being educated with proper manners and should be applied at land and on sea.

23 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It's about only taking things on your plate that you will eat and not have half full plates ending in the garbage. This is not about cruising this is about being educated with proper manners and should be applied at land and on sea.

Good luck with that!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Where I come from, it is poor manners to criticize the way someone eats.

Have you noticed how little agreement you are getting for your ideas to interfere with people's meals?

If the cruise lines thought food waste at the buffet was such a problem, why do they do nothing to stop it? 

I guess no one asks for second helpings at your house :classic_laugh: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LXA350 said:

Now time to go even more off-topic and virtue signaling.

What about the farmers, transporters, processing plant employees, cooks, and waste management people? Buffets help provide jobs to thousands of these workers. Workers that may have been living in poverty but have the opportunity to earn a living thanks to those buffets. Personally I think anyone involved in buffet work are heros who are involved in farm to to table to provide nutritional support to those lucky enough to afford a cruise with buffets!

Do you want to sacrifice those people's livelihood? Think of the children! 

Edited by ToroAzul

25 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Where I come from, it is poor manners to criticize the way someone eats.

Have you noticed how little agreement you are getting for your ideas to interfere with people's meals?

If the cruise lines thought food waste at the buffet was such a problem, why do they do nothing to stop it? 

I guess no one asks for second helpings at your house :classic_laugh: 

I guess that's why the part of the world I come from has a much healthier lifestyle and much less deaths due to obesity than where you come from. Obviously I am getting so little agreement on this forum as most members of the forum are comming from the US where it's all about to live to eat instead of eating to live 😄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I guess that's why the part of the world I come from has a much healthier lifestyle and much less deaths due to obesity than where you come from. Obviously I am getting so little agreement on this forum as most members of the forum are comming from the US where it's all about to live to eat instead of eating to live 😄

Have you ever been to the U.S. or do you just like to stereotype? I have spent loads of time in Europe so I am well aware of how socializing and family gatherings revolve around food there.

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Have you ever been to the U.S. or do you just like to stereotype? I have spent loads of time in Europe so I am well aware of how socializing revolves around food there.

I am not stereotyping, just look at how most of you are going all in panic about maybe loosing the buffet, so what. Have you also seen what people eat in Europe (UK maybe excluded). Take Italy for instance, it's all about food there, but lot's of fish, veggies etc. People maybe eat a lot also in Europe but we are much more health concious than in the US, hence if you have been in Europe you will have noticed this as well.

24 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I am not stereotyping, just look at how most of you are going all in panic about maybe loosing the buffet, so what. Have you also seen what people eat in Europe (UK maybe excluded). Take Italy for instance, it's all about food there, but lot's of fish, veggies etc. People maybe eat a lot also in Europe but we are much more health concious than in the US, hence if you have been in Europe you will have noticed this as well.

So I take it you have not been in the U.S. as you seem to be pretty clueless. As for me, there is no IF I have been to Europe, I HAVE been to Europe. In fact, as a kid I probably spent as much time with the family in Italy as I did with my family here. I am actually an Italian citizen. I try not to comment on too many things that I don't know anything about as it would tend to make look rather ignorant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

So I take it you have not been in the U.S. as you seem to be pretty clueless. As for me, there is no IF I have been to Europe, I HAVE been to Europe. In fact, as a kid I probably spent as much time with the family in Italy as I did with my family here. I am actually an Italian citizen. I try not to comment on too many things that I don't know anything about as it would tend to make look rather ignorant.

I have been to the US many times and as you have been spending a lot of time in Europe you should be able to see the differences between the "New" and the "Old" world when it comes for food for instance.

Just now, LXA350 said:

I have been to the US many times and as you have been spending a lot of time in Europe you should be able to see the differences between the "New" and the "Old" world when it comes for food for instance.

That surprises me as you come across as having quite a distaste for us.

• Like 2