Moving a reservation to 2021

uktog

8 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Darn it.  They have got you over the proverbial barrel. 

We always book direct with AQSC for no particular reason.  For ocean cruises we use an online TA that gives a lot of OBC.  But they have done nothing for us to get back what we are owed from Princess.

You are so right.  We used to always book direct (Azamara, Ama etc) however we had an issue once and it seemed the better service and prices came through agents.  Our agent is very nice but he is talking to his office, his office are talking to a UK agent of AQSC and I just feel so out of the loop and messages are getting confused.  I have learned many lessons as I try and unravel six trips/cruises this year - I certainly will be changing how we operate next year.  Some have really shone, they will get our pounds in future.  

I have had one more go at the barrel and then I will sleep on it before deciding what I do next.

4 hours ago, uktog said:

We the gun only slightly smoked.  They agreed to move us to next April or May for no fee and protecting our price BUT they want the balance paid in full by Monday which was the original due date for payment.  If we don't we are to lose all our deposit.  I have just spoken to our insurers and they would not look at a claim at this stage as it is too far ahead.  They would accept a claim from 1st August onwards and it would have to be based on FCO advice re overseas travel at that date.  Sadly a much wanted trip is turning into a nightmare!

Apart from the need to pay now, that certainly sounds like an improvement on what they were saying originally. By comparison you might be interested in our experience .

We are booked to sail on AQ on 7 September, we also booked with a UK TA but with a package including flights and hotel stays, we  paid a deposit of £1200. Our tour hasn't been cancelled but, in the current circumstances we are also not inclined to do the trip this year. We didn't want to cancel and lose the deposit, so I phoned the TA yesterday. They are offering the opportunity to reschedule for any date in 2021 with no additional fee, plus a monetary sweetener, but we would have to pay any additional cost in the price. It's likely that the increased cost will outweigh the sweetener. We'll probably book for next September, but need to decide by the time our balance is due in a few weeks. We will not have to pay the balance for the rearranged tour until 75 days prior to new departure date.

On this basis there should scope for a further negotiation with your TA. Good Luck!

Thanks so much, this is all so helpful.  There a're no sweetners on the table.  As far as I can see there is virtually no price difference between what we were paying for August and what a rebook for April would be.

I now know although I am with a large TA I am not getting the best deal.  I so wish we could have named TAs - as they work as independent operators under the umbrella of the same agency -  some of them it could even be that different deals are being booked by the same agency.  

I really do appreciate the cruise critic family helping us out here.

11 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks so much, this is all so helpful.  There a're no sweetners on the table.  As far as I can see there is virtually no price difference between what we were paying for August and what a rebook for April would be.

I now know although I am with a large TA I am not getting the best deal.  I so wish we could have named TAs - as they work as independent operators under the umbrella of the same agency -  some of them it could even be that different deals are being booked by the same agency.  

I really do appreciate the cruise critic family helping us out here.

Small steps!!  You are getting closer.  Our booking is ‘cruise only’ - maybe that is the difference?  I would stand your ground for your current deposit to be all that’s needed if you were to move at this point.  Is it not an option for you to wait until August (or the date your original/current booking is acceptable to your Insurers)?   You will be covered for the virus until then, and can make your future decisions at that point.  If you move now, your Insurance won’t cover COVID-19 in 2021. 
British Airways have been great in refunding all our flights, and all our other Hotel bookings were ‘Free Cancellation’, so nothing has been lost.  I hope you manage to get things sorted.

1 hour ago, Evesham said:

Small steps!!  You are getting closer.  Our booking is ‘cruise only’ - maybe that is the difference?  I would stand your ground for your current deposit to be all that’s needed if you were to move at this point.  Is it not an option for you to wait until August (or the date your original/current booking is acceptable to your Insurers)?   You will be covered for the virus until then, and can make your future decisions at that point.  If you move now, your Insurance won’t cover COVID-19 in 2021. 
British Airways have been great in refunding all our flights, and all our other Hotel bookings were ‘Free Cancellation’, so nothing has been lost.  I hope you manage to get things sorted.

Thanks a lot, we are cruise only as well.  I agree British Airways, Intercontinental and IHG Indigo as well as a small little place in St Genevieve, log cabins in Shawnee and St Louis Cardinals have all been outstanding.  Examples of best practice all of them and we will remember that in future
Our risk is if we pay the final balance this weekend as demanded and the cruise does go and flights are running, we would lose that money as it’s disinclination to travel.  We cannot pay such a high figure for a cruise so far in the future because it date stamps as today so has no Covid cover as you rightly say.
Anyway, I think our least worst option (if that’s the right phrase) is to go back to paying the$500 change fee today otherwise we lose everything.  We will then debate the fairness of that ASQC charge with them in due course.  
Nightmare isn’t it, it should have been so simple 

Can I thank everyone here for all their information sharing, you are all the best.  So is AQSC.  I contacted them in the USA direct and I wish I could name and shame a large UK online cruise seller whom we’ve had our five holidays a year relationship with for many years.  AQSC confirmed there is no fee to move, they did not ask for full payment nine months ahead ahead and we can indeed make the switch to next year.

I’m just checking out flight availability (might need to flip to Memphis to New Orleans rather than the reverse to get them) and fitting in all the other things we’d planned.

But once onboard we will remember the kindness of everyone on this board who helped us on our way....and yes, we won’t be booking more through a certain agency.  
Thank you each and every one of you. 

30 minutes ago, uktog said:

Can I thank everyone here for all their information sharing, you are all the best.  So is AQSC.  I contacted them in the USA direct and I wish I could name and shame a large UK online cruise seller whom we’ve had our five holidays a year relationship with for many years.  AQSC confirmed there is no fee to move, they did not ask for full payment nine months ahead ahead and we can indeed make the switch to next year.

I’m just checking out flight availability (might need to flip to Memphis to New Orleans rather than the reverse to get them) and fitting in all the other things we’d planned.

But once onboard we will remember the kindness of everyone on this board who helped us on our way....and yes, we won’t be booking more through a certain agency.  

That's really good news, so glad you have been able sort things out.

We are in line to switch our September booking on AQ to next year, but trying to establish whether our annual insurance cover would be affected by the change of date, in the light of Covid-19.

Have you looked at this issue? It's impossible to phone our Insurance company, except for emergencies, so we have to wait for an email response.

I think each travel insurance company is different.  Our company said as we were transferring a deposit, the original booking predating covid it was covered this year - however the policy is due for renewal in the Autumn.  Again, they could not guarantee it but they said existing policy holders who renew are more likely still to be covered.

I think we will take that risk and be first in line for any vaccine once the most vulnerable have had there's!  I hope this is not cockeyed optimism

44 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think each travel insurance company is different.  Our company said as we were transferring a deposit, the original booking predating covid it was covered this year - however the policy is due for renewal in the Autumn.  Again, they could not guarantee it but they said existing policy holders who renew are more likely still to be covered.

I think we will take that risk and be first in line for any vaccine once the most vulnerable have had there's!  I hope this is not cockeyed optimism

We seem to be in the same insurance position as you.

Hopefully,  from our point of view, because of our ages, we will be towards the front of the queue for vaccines!!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Travellingtaff said:

We seem to be in the same insurance position as you.

Hopefully,  from our point of view, because of our ages, we will be towards the front of the queue for vaccines!!

technically dear husband will and I will not, but Im sure we will be able to sort that one

2 hours ago, uktog said:

That’s fantastic news, & exactly the same deal that we were given direct from AQSC.  When checking flights, don’t overlook that BA have a non-stop flight from Nashville if you are cruising New Orleans to Memphis.  Nashville is worth a stay over.

As for Insurance (with our Bank),  we will probably not be covered because it’s a new date booking.  Difficult to get through to them at the moment, but hoping there is a vaccine by 4th October next year, or else 😷.

We were originally flying New Orleans and home from Nashville, we are probably going to be doing the reverse next year.  I am just so relieved as I am sure you will appreciate that our deposit is not lost and we can look ahead and plan an adventure next year.

2 hours ago, uktog said:

We were originally flying New Orleans and home from Nashville, we are probably going to be doing the reverse next year.  I am just so relieved as I am sure you will appreciate that our deposit is not lost and we can look ahead and plan an adventure next year.

Wonderful.  Enjoy the planning.  Our 2020 cruise this month was to celebrate 3 x 70th birthdays and a 49th Wedding Anniversary on board the American Queen - looks like it’s going to have to be the garden instead😂.  Like you say, we have something to look forward to next year.

Edited by Evesham
  • Like 1

An update

Sadly we are not at the end of the saga - despite what we were told by AQSC, the travel agent is insisting in payment in full now saying that is what AQSC is after if we are to move at no cost otherwise we have to pay £180 to move. We have the new flights booked 🙂 so will just sit tight a little longer and see what happens when the payment deadline arrives.  I will never ever use this agency/agent again and so wish I could name and shame but they are online based in Redditch

Wow.  Liars. That is a shame.  If there is a way to leave a negative review for this outfit, I sure would do so.  I know you cannot mention names in this forum, but you can tell your friends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

An update

Sadly we are not at the end of the saga - despite what we were told by AQSC, the travel agent is insisting in payment in full now saying that is what AQSC is after if we are to move at no cost otherwise we have to pay £180 to move. We have the new flights booked 🙂 so will just sit tight a little longer and see what happens when the payment deadline arrives.  I will never ever use this agency/agent again and so wish I could name and shame but they are online based in Redditch

Long shot, but is it worth you e-mailing AQSC direct, quoting your booking ref, and the name of your TA, and asking whether - in line with their current guidelines for Domestic & International customers -  they would be willing to take on your booking direct to avoid the problem you are experiencing.  If you can get AQSC to confirm in writing that they would not insist on full payment or extra charge, it may help you with your TA.  At best, the AQSC may agree to take up your booking direct & use the deposit you’ve already paid.  
Your TA is being extremely short sighted considering the amount of business you do with them.

5 minutes ago, Evesham said:

Long shot, but is it worth you e-mailing AQSC direct, quoting your booking ref, and the name of your TA, and asking whether - in line with their current guidelines for Domestic & International customers -  they would be willing to take on your booking direct to avoid the problem you are experiencing.  If you can get AQSC to confirm in writing that they would not insist on full payment or extra charge, it may help you with your TA.  At best, the AQSC may agree to take up your booking direct & use the deposit you’ve already paid.  
Your TA is being extremely short sighted considering the amount of business you do with them.

I did that, AQSC have confirmed in writing that they did not ask for full payment or additional charge but the agency will not honour that even after I shared the email with them.  They have lost our business and others we know who use them are aware of this situation.  I will still have that AQSC voyage next year by hook or by crook!!!!

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

I did that, AQSC have confirmed in writing that they did not ask for full payment or additional charge but the agency will not honour that even after I shared the email with them.  They have lost our business and others we know who use them are aware of this situation.  I will still have that AQSC voyage next year by hook or by crook!!!!

Wow.  They deserve to lose your business.  And are you sure that the AQSC won’t take  over your booking so that you can wave bye bye to your TA.  Not totally in the spirit of things, but then your TA isn’t playing fair.  I would seriously fight tooth & nail to avoid paying in full during this Pandemic, especially when your Insurance probably won’t cover you if a 2nd wave next Spring & things go pear shaped again.  

1 hour ago, Evesham said:

Wow.  They deserve to lose your business.  ......I would seriously fight tooth & nail to avoid paying in full during this Pandemic, especially when your Insurance probably won’t cover you if a 2nd wave next Spring & things go pear shaped again.  

They have - and that is exactly the reason we will not pay in full.  In addition to advising the agent that his is not what AQSC are saying I have advised him my insurers will not agree to the transaction (I had already checked that).  As I say this saga still has legs in it but I will come out of this on top I know that!!!

8 minutes ago, uktog said:

They have - and that is exactly the reason we will not pay in full.  In addition to advising the agent that his is not what AQSC are saying I have advised him my insurers will not agree to the transaction (I had already checked that).  As I say this saga still has legs in it but I will come out of this on top I know that!!!

Well done.  This is going to be one well earned holiday 😂.

• 1 month later...

Finally today I have the reservation for our cruise that we moved to April 2021 - thanks to everyone who gave us such good advice.  It was a nightmare and I will never use the agency involved again but we are there.  Now we just have to cross our fingers and hope we can indeed holiday in April 2021

Stay safe everyone