How About a Cruise With No Ports for Safety

cruzsnooze

16 hours ago, caribill said:

For those who get the Yellow Fever vaccination there is an International Certificate of Vaccination that was designed by the WHO and is accepted world wide. If a Covid-19 vaccination needs to be documented, it can be added to the same form.

Absolutely.  I never leave home for a foreign trip without that in my documents along with my Passport.  I have been faithful in having my doctors and my local public health department recording whatever vaccinations that I have received in that yellow document.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

That would likely violate HIPAA.

I know IRL of not a single person who has given their child every single vaccination recommended by the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/schedules/index.html).  Everyone draws a line; it's just not at the same place for everyone.  For instance, I don't of anyone who got their boys an HPV shot.

There's a 20-year rule for effectiveness.  By all means, if you want the vaccine, go for it.  You'll ostensibly be protected -- which means, in part, protected against those who don't want (or can't take) it.

If it violates HIPAA then HIPAA can be amended.

Refusing to have boys inoculated against HPV is just irresponsible.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

That would likely violate HIPAA.

I know IRL of not a single person who has given their child every single vaccination recommended by the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/schedules/index.html).  Everyone draws a line; it's just not at the same place for everyone.  For instance, I don't of anyone who got their boys an HPV shot.

There's a 20-year rule for effectiveness.  By all means, if you want the vaccine, go for it.  You'll ostensibly be protected -- which means, in part, protected against those who don't want (or can't take) it.

No it would not violate HIPAA because the person that performed the vaccination would only submit  the information at the request of the person being vaccinated.  They could refuse to have the information submitted.  Of course then the fact that they got vaccinated would not be documented and if it was required for entry into a country, they are out of luck.

Bottom line is if it was required by countries for travel there, or by cruise lines then you would either agree to have the information documented or just not travel.

It would only be a violation of HIPAA if the information was released without consent.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 12:23 PM, memoak said:

I still carry the yellow sheet with vaccinations when I travel along with my passport

I wish I had one. As an adult, I have gotten the ones I can. I haven't been very good keeping track of it in one place though. Good job.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vancouvergirl2010 said:

Gosh, my city just made drinking in the park legal. We never expected that! Many things are changing and flexibility and the ability to adapt could be significant strengths.

Well, here's the specifics (thanks to chengkp75):

The PVSA was revised a few years back to allow cruises to nowhere, and they are still legal under the PVSA. What has changed is that CBP has ruled that while crew on foreign flag cruise ships that call in US ports need a crew visa (C1/D1 depending on whether they are joining/leaving in the US or not), crew on a foreign flag vessel doing cruises to nowhere would need a H1-B work visa. The H1 work visa is more difficult to obtain, costs more, and has more financial and legal responsibilities placed on the "sponsor" (cruise line). The cost for a cruise line to get these visas for a thousand crew for one or two voyages (sometimes separated by months) would not be cost effective.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, here's the specifics (thanks to chengkp75):

The PVSA was revised a few years back to allow cruises to nowhere, and they are still legal under the PVSA. What has changed is that CBP has ruled that while crew on foreign flag cruise ships that call in US ports need a crew visa (C1/D1 depending on whether they are joining/leaving in the US or not), crew on a foreign flag vessel doing cruises to nowhere would need a H1-B work visa. The H1 work visa is more difficult to obtain, costs more, and has more financial and legal responsibilities placed on the "sponsor" (cruise line). The cost for a cruise line to get these visas for a thousand crew for one or two voyages (sometimes separated by months) would not be cost effective.

Wouldn't having the H1-B visa, which means the person is working in the USA at least while doing cruises to nowhere from a USA port, subject the person to USA income taxes?

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Wouldn't having the H1-B visa, which means the person is working in the USA at least while doing cruises to nowhere from a USA port, subject the person to USA income taxes?

Yes it does.  And many collective bargaining agreements make the company liable for the US taxes, not the employee.  Further, both employer and employee are subject to Social Security withholding, meaning the employer has to contribute the 6.75% employer contribution, raising their payroll cost.  And, when the crew files taxes, due to their low pay scale, their taxes will be very low if not zero.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vancouvergirl2010 said:

Interesting facts...now time for US visa rules to adapt to new times IMO. 

Given the current economic situation, I don't see very many politicians pushing to make it easier for foreigners to get jobs in the US.  (I'd love to see cruises to nowhere but I just don't think it's  in the cards right now.)

I posted this in another thread yesterday:  

Carnival issued a press release that gives a hint of how they plan to restart cruising.  It says in part:

"The company expects to resume guest operations, after collaboration with both government and health authorities, in a phased manner, with specific ships and brands returning to service over time to provide its guests with enjoyable vacation experiences. The company anticipates that initial sailings will be from a select number of easily accessible homeports. "

wonder when the next group of cancellations will come out ... maybe after CDC lets the current ban expire ( 7/19 or so ?)

or extends the ban - hopefully not another 100 days

but even then , ports have to reopen ... 

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

wonder when the next group of cancellations will come out ... maybe after CDC lets the current ban expire ( 7/19 or so ?)

or extends the ban - hopefully not another 100 days

but even then , ports have to reopen ... 

https://cruising.org/news-and-research/press-room/2020/june/clia-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruise-operations-from-us-ports

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

So now it is until Sept 15 until cruises can restart.  I wonder if some cruise lines will be able to hold on till then. It makes a cruise to no where more appealing. 

Cruises to nowhere will not happen because of the US tax implications that would be involved.  The top 4 cruise lines corporations (Carnival,  RCCL, Norwegian, MSC) will be in OK shape even if there are no cruises till 2021.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:43 PM, chengkp75 said:

But then it would not be a "cruise without ports" or a "cruise to nowhere".  But then again, going from Florida to the USVI isn't a "cruise without ports" that the OP suggested.  And, as I think about it, I'm not sure that a round trip Miami/St. Thomas/Miami would be legal since that would be a closed loop US cruise possibly without a foreign port, since I'm not sure what the actual legal designation of the US territories that are not covered by the PVSA is, since they are part of the US.

What if a cruise line had charter aircraft or vessels taking PAX from Ft Lauderdale to Freeport, Bahamas and the cruise to nowhere would start and end in Freeport?  For that matter would the cruise to nowhere be able to begin in Freeport and end in Ft Lauderdale or vice-versa? 

• Like 1

@Daniel A we'd be on a cruise like that if we could board in PE which involves no flights for us

sidenote: what's the status of the New York ports as the SKY is scheduled to port there from a TA on Nov 3rd, I believe to start

a repo to PE for the season

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

@Daniel A we'd be on a cruise like that if we could board in PE which involves no flights for us

sidenote: what's the status of the New York ports as the SKY is scheduled to port there from a TA on Nov 3rd, I believe to start

a repo to PE for the season

I'm not aware that the Port Authority ever closed down the cruise ports.  To get a clarification straight from the horse's mouth, you could call or e-mail one of the folling:

Rado Saragih                   212-435-4259                  rsaragih@panynj.gov

Andrew Sharo                 212-435-4250                  asharo@panynj.gov

Nick Raspanti                  212-435-2796                  nraspanti@panynj.gov

Francis Caponi                212-435-4229                  fcaponi@panynj.gov

Nichol Polidoro               212-435-4264                  npolidoro@panynj.gov

• Thanks 1

What if a cruise line had charter aircraft or vessels taking PAX from Ft Lauderdale to Freeport, Bahamas and the cruise to nowhere would start and end in Freeport?  For that matter would the cruise to nowhere be able to begin in Freeport and end in Ft Lauderdale or vice-versa? 

They could charter aircraft and you could cruise to nowhere out of the Bahamas if the Bahamas allows that. (I am not familiar with Bahamas regulations.) There is nothing to stop cruise lines from homeporting there. There used to be cruises that homeported out of Barbados.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1