Reduce occupancy who cruises and who doesn’t?

15 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

If you want a real barometer, watch for final payment stats. And the ultimate test will be actual sailings.  Don't kid yourself. The industry is about to fall off a cliff.  If you see a promising near future for the cruise industry, it means you've spent a lot of time here with a like minded group that is in no way indicative of the general public or even the majority of cruise customers.

I agree with this.

The industry is pretty decimated.  There are tens of thousands of employees stuck on cruise ships not being paid and desperately wanting to get off the ships and never get on one again.  They've had crew members commit suicide by jumping off the ships.

They are hanging signs and banners and calling the local news stations trying to get the press to pressure the industry into getting them home.

There are dozens of ships floating off the Florida coast and Bahamas.

I don't know how they are going to staff any of these ships or ports that are going to let them enter.

2 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

I agree with this.

The industry is pretty decimated.  There are tens of thousands of employees stuck on cruise ships not being paid and desperately wanting to get off the ships and never get on one again.  They've had crew members commit suicide by jumping off the ships.

They are hanging signs and banners and calling the local news stations trying to get the press to pressure the industry into getting them home.

There are dozens of ships floating off the Florida coast and Bahamas.

I don't know how they are going to staff any of these ships or ports that are going to let them enter.

I will agree with some of your points, but it's my belief that you're being a bit dramatic and over the top trying to prove your point.  You seem to give new meaning to the expression Debbie Downer.

Your last paragraph makes it seem like there will be no workers on the ships or no ports for them to visit.  The majority of the current employees stuck on the ships at sea will indeed resign their next round of contracts because unfortunately being employed by the cruise lines is the best way for them to provide for themselves as well as their families back home.

Ports will slowly start to open up, supposedly possibly starting in June in China. In the meantime,  try to look at the positives every once and awhile.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I will agree with some of your points, but it's my belief that you're being a bit dramatic and over the top trying to prove your point.  You seem to give new meaning to the expression Debbie Downer.

Your last paragraph makes it seem like there will be no workers on the ships or no ports for them to visit.  The majority of the current employees stuck on the ships at sea will indeed resign their next round of contracts because unfortunately being employed by the cruise lines is the best way for them to provide for themselves as well as their families back home.

Ports will slowly start to open up, supposedly possibly starting in June in China. In the meantime,  try to look at the positives every once and awhile.

I would suggest you start reading our local South Florida news.  

It is very bleak for these workers stuck on these cruise ships.

54,000 employees stuck in US waters alone.  100,000 around the world.

3 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

I would suggest you start reading our local South Florida news.  

It is very bleak for these workers stuck on these cruise ships.

54,000 employees stuck in US waters alone.  100,000 around the world.

Do you have a current source? This video and information is old. Many crew have been repatriated home via charter flights from Barbados or are on ships heading toward their home countries. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, island lady said:

I am on the Allure TA (or so I think I might still be on it anyway...maybe?... 😮 )....plus being on the roll call thread.  I am guessing more than half of the cruise mates on our thread have already posted that they have canceled the cruise (many having done the L&S).   If you go in to look for additional cabins for booking...you won't find any.  Then extrapolate out on the booked pax on that cruise that don't post on CC.  

IMHO...RCI is not letting those canceled cabins go back into inventory.  Thus...automatically reducing percentage.  

I think the problem will not be having to kick booked pax off a ship....but trying to convince anyone to stay on it. 

Actually, we've only had about 30 people tell me on the roll call that they have left.  Before Covid we had over 425 people on the roll call.  We are currently at 396.  I'm sure there are more that have cancelled the cruise but didn't let us know.  It will be interesting to see how many are on the TA (if and hopefully it happens).

Edited by Teeara
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Teeara said:

Actually, we've only had about 30 people tell me on the roll call that they have left.  Before Covid we had over 425 people on the roll call.  We are currently at 396.  I'm sure there are more that have cancelled the cruise but didn't let us know.  It will be interesting to see how many are on the TA (if and hopefully it happens).

I have a feeling that indeed many have not bothered to respond/post that they have cancelled.  Looks to be 2-3 posting their cancellation a day with the ones that do respond.  

Then...wonder what percent of the non CC members are cancelling?

This is another logistical nightmare in one man’s opine.

More questions than answers, more pissed off guests, More FCCs to be issued, how is that working out, oh maybe they will start a new program

Future Unsailed Credit ?abols.....

Life is a risk, make the cruise as safe a reasonable, if you try to protect me from very condition, the cruise will be nothing in a plastic bubble.

20 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Do you have a current source? This video and information is old. Many crew have been repatriated home via charter flights from Barbados or are on ships heading toward their home countries. 

22 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That's probably an old number - RCI probably has very few left in US waters, or even anywhere near the US.

Here is an article that is a week old.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/05/18/100000-cruise-ship-crew-members-remain-trapped-at-sea/

It would be all over our local news, Miami, if any of these people flew out.  The Miami news is also the local news for parts of the northern Bahamas and Fort Lauderdale to Key West.

You can choose to ignore this all you want or think it isn't true but it is.  These ships are still full of crew members.  They aren't far off our South Florida shores so you can see the cabin lights.

I cannot see how at all these ships will start sailing again at all.

16 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Here is an article that is a week old.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/05/18/100000-cruise-ship-crew-members-remain-trapped-at-sea/

It would be all over our local news, Miami, if any of these people flew out.  The Miami news is also the local news for parts of the northern Bahamas and Fort Lauderdale to Key West.

You can choose to ignore this all you want or think it isn't true but it is.  These ships are still full of crew members.  They aren't far off our South Florida shores so you can see the cabin lights.

I cannot see how at all these ships will start sailing again at all.

The article you linked to is 10 days old. Crew are flying on Charter flights from Barbados, not Florida, as I mentioned in my previous post.

Barbados - Cruise Ship Repatriations

Harmony of the Seas arrives in Barbados for Repatriation flights

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

The article you linked to is 10 days old. Crew are flying on Charter flights from Barbados, not Florida, as I mentioned in my previous post.

""Yearwood said that since the first charter flight went from Barbados on March 24, there had been another 27, taking in excess of 9 450 crew to many parts of the globe.""

Your comment just proves my point.  In over two months, they've only gotten 9,450 crew members off ships.

I'm not trying to argue here, all I'm pointing out is that there are still tens of thousands of crew stuck on these cruise ships.  Do you think they will really want to get back on one to work when ports open up?

5 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

""Yearwood said that since the first charter flight went from Barbados on March 24, there had been another 27, taking in excess of 9 450 crew to many parts of the globe.""

Your comment just proves my point.  In over two months, they've only gotten 9,450 crew members off ships.

I'm not trying to argue here, all I'm pointing out is that there are still tens of thousands of crew stuck on these cruise ships.  Do you think they will really want to get back on one to work when ports open up?

I disagree that there are tens of thousand of crew stuck on cruise ships. And whether they choose to go back to work when cruises sail again remains to be seen. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I noticed that also.  It is strange not seeing Harmony come in and out of our port here in PC.  Most times she was hanging out just off shore of Flagler county...but had to search for her.  Lots of ships there in Barbados right now.  

• Like 1

Don’t think reducing capacity will be as big an issue as some believe. There are a lot of cancellations currently for both 2020 and 2021cruises, and all a RCL has to do to effectively reduce capacity on those cruises is to simply take the cancelled cabins out of inventory. For cruises later out in 2021 and 2022 that might have the same capacity restrictions ( a big unknown at this time) that haven’t been fully booked yet, they just need to take the unsold cabins out of inventory.

21 hours ago, Teeara said:

Thank you for the factual update. 

I am not sure what is factual any more. Too many variables. I do agree that there are crew members that are still on ships because they cannot be flown home. If you look at all the amenities on the ships, they have things they can do and in many cases it is far more than most of us can do with lockdown. There is an entertainer from RCL that is "stuck" on CocoCay posting YouTube videos. I would much rather be stuck there than where I am.