What to do with the grandkids in Seville & Ceuta, Spanish Morrocco Spain

For hotels also look at the Cromwell Rd area of South Kensington.  Great connections everywhere and across the road from the Natural History Museum, the V&A, etc.  Very near Hyde Park.  Or around Brompton Rd in Knightsbridge, up the road from South Kensington, near Harrods, Buckingham Palace.  Lots of restaurants and places to stay in the area.  

The Tower Bridge area is convenient for the Tower of London, but too far from other main attractions.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, marazul said:

For hotels also look at the Cromwell Rd area of South Kensington.  Great connections everywhere and across the road from the Natural History Museum, the V&A, etc.  Very near Hyde Park.  Or around Brompton Rd in Knightsbridge, up the road from South Kensington, near Harrods, Buckingham Palace.  Lots of restaurants and places to stay in the area.  

The Tower Bridge area is convenient for the Tower of London, but too far from other main attractions.  

Agreed, the Marriott is on Cromwell road and our kids loved the Natural History Museum and the V and A is great too.  The Premier Inn is just off it.  

A thought about Barcelona, the Park Guell is built on a the side of a hill and will be difficult to walk.  IMO I would scrap it for the much more impressive interior of La Sagrada Familia.  

Edited by bennybear

Ollienbertsmum: You have mentioned wanting to visit Tower Bridge,… ideal location for our last trip because We stayed opposite Aldgate Station, however it might be too far east for you.  I would be looking for something perhaps more central.  Personally I would consider Covent Garden, Bloomsbury, Kensington.

I will look into those three areas.  Thank you.  That is what I need.  It is really hard to figure out areas when you have no idea of anything.  Imagine trying to book a hotel in Los Angeles for Disneyland and Universal Studios by just using a map.  It is really hard.  The distance doesn’t look far in the picture but miles wise it is about 40 miles.  With traffic that makes the trip anywhere from an hour to two hours easily.  That’s if you don’t get lost and choose the right freeway since there are many to choose from.

You can’t judge distance or area by just using a map. I don’t mind a little walking or jumping into a cab for a mile either.  I am just trying to figure out WHERE using a name.  That’s the hard part.  Once I have that figured out I’ll be able to figure It out.

I have to know a name to put into the search.  I just picked Tower Bridge because I can find it on maps and I know we want to go there.  I want to go to lots of other places too but to find the hotel you need to know neighborhood names.  I spend hours, and I mean hours, putting in different locations, scrolling around the map and checking out the results.  Then I start again.  I then find I am back to the beginning of not having a clue.

There are hotels that have singles but they charge close to a double cost.  Also, hotel names are quite different so then I have to also research the hotels themselves.  Then back to location.  It is a vicious circle.

I don’t feel I am the best person to help for your location because I want to go somewhere that allows me to walk everywhere.  Again, I don’t mind walking, I just know where I’m walking to and from.

bennybear: I know everyone keeps mentioning the amount of luggage but this is how I look at it.  The luggage will be included in the airline price.  We have to handle it from the car to the check in counter and from the carousel to the car and then into the hotel.  All are short distances.

Repeat: to car to ship check in.  Return from cruise: car to airport to check in to carousel to car to hotel to car to check in to carousel to car.  We won’t be taking any public transportation – ever – with luggage.  Yes, I know it will be a hassle but everyone can suck it up for the transfers.  If they want to pack less they can but we will have the same issue for the rest of us. 

Yes, we will have two pieces for the flight but again, the carry on will be in the overhead bin where it should remain for most of the trip. It is possible that the kids might want to forego that one but it really won’t be necessary.  The one under the seat will be the one that everyone will use for the flight.  The flight going is minimum of 11 hours going and 17 coming back.  It is a must that we all have access to that for entertainment, medications etc. 

I just need to add that I have bought everyone new luggage that they will be getting for Christmas.  Star Wars theme.  The plus is that they are unique and easy to find.  The minus is that they are unique and people might want to steal them.  They include: Darth Vadar, new Stormtrooper, old Stormtooper; Multi BB8, R2D2, maps of the galaxy. Just something fun.

For London you could look at Premiere Inns,  For eating,  In England the grocery stores, Marks and Spencer, and Boots have meal  deals,  a sandwich or salad, drink and snack for a reasonable price.  Also the large department stores in France often have a food store in the basement level.  …told our kids they could have a pop drink from the grocery stores … The price of a coke in France at a restaurant is crazy.

I for sure can make this mandatory.  One kid doesn’t drink soda and the other three only drink it as a treat.  They (we) can all live with out coke for a few days.  Thanks for yet again, another tip.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Agreed, the Marriott is on Cromwell road and our kids loved the Natural History Museum and the V and A is great too.  The Premier Inn is just off it.  

A thought about Barcelona, the Park Guell is built on a the side of a hill and will be difficult to walk.  IMO I would scrap it for the much more impressive interior of La Sagrada Familia.  

benynear and notentirely - 

I agree about Park Guell.  The interior of the Sagrada Familia is extraordinarily beautiful.  IMO, it would be a shame to miss it. (Book ahead of time! https://sagradafamilia.org/en/home)

I also recommend the Casa Batllo and Casa Mila (La Pedrera), both within 3 blocks of each other on the Passeig de Gracia as a better option than the park.  They both have elevators for the visit. Just ask.

https://www.casabatllo.es/en/

https://www.lapedrera.com/en

• Like 1

Hmm, I missed these last two comments.  I will check out the two locations.  Thank you.  For Barcelona we plan to have a guide as well as a  driver.  We are going to Park Guell.  Michael requested that location so it is in the plan.  I doubt we will spend much time there but it is in the works.  We are also going to the Chocolate Factory and will sign up for the Lollipop activity.  The kids will get to make their own and it will be something they will always remember.  After that we will end the tour at La Sagrada Familia before heading back to the ship.  We will see what we can in the time left.  Our tour is 8 hours.

11 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

Ollienbertsmum: You have mentioned wanting to visit Tower Bridge,… ideal location for our last trip because We stayed opposite Aldgate Station, however it might be too far east for you.  I would be looking for something perhaps more central.  Personally I would consider Covent Garden, Bloomsbury, Kensington.

I will look into those three areas.  Thank you.  That is what I need.  It is really hard to figure out areas when you have no idea of anything.  Imagine trying to book a hotel in Los Angeles for Disneyland and Universal Studios by just using a map.  It is really hard.  The distance doesn’t look far in the picture but miles wise it is about 40 miles.  With traffic that makes the trip anywhere from an hour to two hours easily.  That’s if you don’t get lost and choose the right freeway since there are many to choose from.

You can’t judge distance or area by just using a map. I don’t mind a little walking or jumping into a cab for a mile either.  I am just trying to figure out WHERE using a name.  That’s the hard part.  Once I have that figured out I’ll be able to figure It out.

I have to know a name to put into the search.  I just picked Tower Bridge because I can find it on maps and I know we want to go there.  I want to go to lots of other places too but to find the hotel you need to know neighborhood names.  I spend hours, and I mean hours, putting in different locations, scrolling around the map and checking out the results.  Then I start again.  I then find I am back to the beginning of not having a clue.

There are hotels that have singles but they charge close to a double cost.  Also, hotel names are quite different so then I have to also research the hotels themselves.  Then back to location.  It is a vicious circle.

I don’t feel I am the best person to help for your location because I want to go somewhere that allows me to walk everywhere.  Again, I don’t mind walking, I just know where I’m walking to and from.

bennybear: I know everyone keeps mentioning the amount of luggage but this is how I look at it.  The luggage will be included in the airline price.  We have to handle it from the car to the check in counter and from the carousel to the car and then into the hotel.  All are short distances.

Repeat: to car to ship check in.  Return from cruise: car to airport to check in to carousel to car to hotel to car to check in to carousel to car.  We won’t be taking any public transportation – ever – with luggage.  Yes, I know it will be a hassle but everyone can suck it up for the transfers.  If they want to pack less they can but we will have the same issue for the rest of us. 

Yes, we will have two pieces for the flight but again, the carry on will be in the overhead bin where it should remain for most of the trip. It is possible that the kids might want to forego that one but it really won’t be necessary.  The one under the seat will be the one that everyone will use for the flight.  The flight going is minimum of 11 hours going and 17 coming back.  It is a must that we all have access to that for entertainment, medications etc. 

I just need to add that I have bought everyone new luggage that they will be getting for Christmas.  Star Wars theme.  The plus is that they are unique and easy to find.  The minus is that they are unique and people might want to steal them.  They include: Darth Vadar, new Stormtrooper, old Stormtooper; Multi BB8, R2D2, maps of the galaxy. Just something fun.

For London you could look at Premiere Inns,  For eating,  In England the grocery stores, Marks and Spencer, and Boots have meal  deals,  a sandwich or salad, drink and snack for a reasonable price.  Also the large department stores in France often have a food store in the basement level.  …told our kids they could have a pop drink from the grocery stores … The price of a coke in France at a restaurant is crazy.

I for sure can make this mandatory.  One kid doesn’t drink soda and the other three only drink it as a treat.  They (we) can all live with out coke for a few days.  Thanks for yet again, another tip.

A tip for the Uk - ask for tap water.  Specify ‘tap’ and they will not charge you.  Some establishments are starting to bring it to the table anyway as part of the service.  I cannot recall the custom in France.  I know that in Spain we ask for water, they bring it bottled and we have to pay.  One of our family always drinks it and it frustrates me that we have to pay for what could come out of the tap.  

The meal deals can be good.  All those lovely parks to picnic in too.  I have a lovely memory of being in London alone.  I bought my picnic in MandS on Kensington High Street.  The squirrels loved my fruit salad.  

• Like 1

To save some money in London for a quick meal look for Pret a Manger.  It's a nice alternative to heavier restaurant food, at a good price.  They seem to be as ubiquitous as Starbucks.  

https://www.pret.com/en-US

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

A tip for the Uk - ask for tap water.  Specify ‘tap’ and they will not charge you.  Some establishments are starting to bring it to the table anyway as part of the service.  I cannot recall the custom in France.  I know that in Spain we ask for water, they bring it bottled and we have to pay.  One of our family always drinks it and it frustrates me that we have to pay for what could come out of the tap.  

In Spain: agua corriente (running water) or un vaso de agua corriente (a glass of tap water) .

In France: une carafe d'eau (a jug of water)

In Italy: un bicchiere d'acqua (a glass of water) or acqua corrente (running water) 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally found this thread again so thought I would give you an update.

I have booked our airfare.  What a screaming deal.  I didn't want to wait too long because we all know that when Covid is over that prices will need to go up.  As it turns out we can stay all we need before the cruise but we have time constraints afterwards.  I needed to get Michael back to school in time to get his preferred vocation.  However, before hand - lots of time.  So, we will leave from LA to Paris and stay for 2-1/2 days.  I got an airbnb 50 yards from the Eiffel Tower.  The guy whose apartment it is has a guy that will pick us up and return us to the airport.  Plus, he will be a guide while we are there.  Screaming deal.  Three bedrooms and 6 beds.  What more could we ask for.

We then fly to London for 8 days.  I got another bnb that is right off the subway so we can easily walk there and get into town.  Both times the whole place to ourselves.  Five beds, 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms.  It could be closer to town but it is still doable at an excellent price of about $1400.  I still have to plan our stay but now that I have that done I can start that planning.  I have to be more careful because any tickets I buy in advance now are probably not going to be refundable.

After the cruise I have yet another airbnb that is close to LHR.  I got it for two nights even though we will only be staying one night.  BUT since we can't check into it until 3:00 pm I didn't want to spend the day dealing with luggage.  I wanted to be able to use that day.  It is only 8 miles from Windsor Castle so we can use that day to see that.  My DH can then come back and relax while my son can take the kids anywhere else they can plan.

The only unresolved thing going on STILL is the port of Cueta.  Princess has at least put up some shore excursions that don't revolve around just walking around the town.  They are pricey and mostly a long bus ride with 40 of your closest friends.  I will try again to find a private tour guide but it isn't looking good.

Oh, I was able to use air miles in economy for the three youngest girls.  Premium economy was only $100 more then economy so my DH, myself, my son and my grandson will be in Premium economy.  I didn't have enough miles to upgrade to Business for me and DH but I can live with it, I guess.  The total air cost to go from LA to Paris to London to LA - $7,700 for all.

Sounds like a great trip!  We have a trip planned for next September to Europe and I've been debating if we should book flights or not.  I don't usually book this far out, but I agree prices will probably only go up once things open up again.

It was literally less air miles to get Business class than it was to get Premium Economy.  Huh?  My issue with getting a better deal were: I had 7 people I had to get from A to B to C to D.  I needed them to be all on the same flight and they only give "x" amount of seats for each deal.  It was easy to get some of us on flights but when I tried to use miles those flights disappeared.  It literally took me 3 hours to book these flights AFTER all my research.  I can't complain about he deal though.  Oh, originally I booked us on British Airways but there fees were almost $700 so I switched to American for less than$200 for all.  Something to think about when you book.

Then I had to pay $15 each to book our seats on the Paris to London leg with BA.  That leg was in Economy since it would be around $2000 for that one hour flight.  I can suck it up and sit next to my DH.  The agent I had was super awesome.

🙂  The kids have just said that if I can book a show at the Theatre they want to go.  Apparently number choice is The Play that goes Wrong, Mary Poppins and Wicked.  I asked about museums and got from my granddaughter and Theatrical from my grandson.

Don't miss the Play That Goes Wrong.  I saw it 2 years ago and I am still laughing.  It's a masterpiece of staging and it would never have the same effect as a movie.

The other two, of course, have been made into movies and you have probably seen them or can easily do so.

Edited by marazul

It is now on my list of things to do.  It looks like I have to book around 3 months out at this point but maybe as we get closer there will be a longer period.  I will have to keep on it as I don't want to miss it once Covid stops pissing us all off.

Weirdly, I have put feelers out to car services in London and limo services here in LA.  I have heard nothing back from any of them.