Colonnade Memories

Kauaijim

A cloudy sunrise here in North Florida so we decided to have breakfast outside . We are lucky enough to live on the ocean and hearing the wind and waves brought back great memories. We had breakfast In the   Colonnade outside from Greenland to Antarctica to the Faroe isles to The Turkish coast  . My favorite was the lingonberry Swedish pancakes but there was never a bad morning. We’ve cancelled and probably won’t be back to cruising . Cruising and Seabourn will be back stronger than ever but I think we will stay off the high seas . 

55 minutes ago, adoctor said:

Well I suspect buffet style dining will be a thing of the past. Waiter service in all restaurants.

..and hopefully that or any other waiter will not be an asymptomatic carrier (or even become symptomatic in a few days).

7 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

My favorite was the lingonberry Swedish pancakes.

I first ordered this on Royal Viking Sky in 1980.  I still remember them; so delicious.  HAL's breakfast menu has had these on the menu for some time.  They are very good, but more like crepes rather than true pancakes.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I first ordered this on Royal Viking Sky in 1980.  I still remember them; so delicious.  HAL's breakfast menu has had these on the menu for some time.  They are very good, but more like crepes rather than true pancakes.  

That is as it should be - somewhere between the American pancake and crepe:

What is the difference between Swedish pancakes and regular pancakes?

Pancakes are an American classic; these sweet, cake-like pastries are thick, fluffy and topped with sweet syrup and butter. Swedish pancakes are different. ... Swedish pancakes have many of the same ingredients as a simple American pancake recipe except they are much thinner.

Are Swedish pancakes the same as crepes?

Crepes — if done correctly — are a lot thinner (like paper thin) than a Swedish pancake, and if done with a crepe maker don't need butter or flipping. ... Swedish pancakes on the other hand are a little thicker, but not thick and fluffy like American pancakes. They are usually served with some kind of sweet topping.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It will be quite some time, I fear, before I will be able to enjoy this breakfast treat again!

I am afraid that you are right about this (unless we learn how to make them at home? 😀)

We usually skip breakfast, although it was always great on Seabourn.  Instead I have fond memories of dinner in the Collonade as it is so informal and pleasant.  The newer Thomas Keller dishes were pretty good.  But I just like the informal atmosphere, coupled with the table service.  Like a friendly neighborhood restaurant at home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Easy Swedish Pancakes at home:

1 cup Bisquick

1 cup milk

1 xl egg

Splash of vanilla optional

Batter should be thin, adjust depending on your humidity.

Mix togther. Butter in pan. Pour in a thin amount. First pancake is for the dog.

That's super simple.  But, it's the Lingonberry Sauce that I have much difficulty in finding.  

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Can we still imagine a world without Amazon & Google? 😀

I know!  In the interest of diversification I've been trying to use Duck Duck Go, Bing, and Walmart online more. But as evidenced by the Amazon lingonberry find I need to work harder. Ha ha.

Quote:" My favorite was the lingonberry Swedish pancakes but there was never a bad morning".

Thanks for the memories Kauaijim.

Following the theme of your post , my favourites at the Colonnade breakfast are the coddled eggs, beautiful fruit , yogurt and decious pastries. To be accompanied by many espresso coffees and lots of hot water and lemon. 

Lunch in the Colonnade , delicious salads, but most of all the many fish dishes from the Menu washed down with a glass of Prosecco or any delicious vino and sparkling water.

Dinner in the Colonnade, Indian night is usually amazing or Thai Cuisine if Chef Jez is on board. French evening if Chef Frank is cooking. His Bouillabase is to die for.

Let us hope for a vaccine in the near future , and or , sucessful treatments for this mysterious and life changing dilema. That the world will be a kinder more humane place to live in future. It is MHO this is our wake up call to reset our world. My wish is that you and your families and friends keep safe and in good health for these are biggest treasures.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, koalapanda said:

Let us hope for a vaccine in the near future , and or , sucessful treatments for this mysterious and life changing dilema. That the world will be a kinder more humane place to live in future. It is MHO this is our wake up call to reset our world. My wish is that you and your families and friends keep safe and in good health for these are biggest treasures.

What an uplifting message!  Thank you for your thoughts and I so much agree!

Thank you " rkaCruiser " for you kind comments. 

By the way I realised after posting my favourite eggs should have read "en cocotte".

These delicious eggs often sat unoticed on the corner of the hot buffet items.

This crisis has shocked every nation.

We must maintain hope, whilst the height of the Virus is lessening in some parts of the world. It will be new medical advice, break through treatment,  plus our patience,  diligence and heightened awareness that will carry us closer to consideration of wether to cruise again. We all will require this positivitivity and confidence before making any future responsible decisions. 

In the meantime I would like to read more about your gastronomic delights enjoyed in the Colonnade.

Edited by koalapanda
  • Like 1

My favourite delights - for breakfast, blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and crispy bacon - something you do not often find in the UK, and usually delicious - and for lunch, either the special table of goodies when the chef has been on a morning shopping trip, or the occasional treat of prawn and vegetable tempura, with sweet chilli dipping sauce for the prawns and aioli for the vegetables.   Heaven on a plate for me.  Preferably in the shade,  outside, on a hot sunny day,  with a view.  

I can't even remember what we were eating, but my most fond memory is: Having dinner outside the Colonnade (snuggled in a blanket) while Captain Larsen took us into this teeny tiny fjord in Norway.  We just barely cleared the sides and then he did a 360 degree turn once it was wide enough.  Then, he went back through.  It was magical with the walls of the fjord so close and towering overhead.  That is why I can't remember what we were eating.  Just wonderful.

Thank you for that great memory of dining outside at the Colonnade and our late Captain  Larsen  - the best in our fleet, or any fleet - getting us slowly through the very narrow fjord and then doing the 360. We'll sadly have to be satisfied with these memories until a foolproof way is devised to get us sailing again safely.

Fortunate enough to be on a January Caribbean sailing only 4 short months ago (seems like a lifetime ago looking back now) and enjoying a leisurely breakfast outside every morning that would last sometimes longer then I care to say! with our closest friends. We would joke with each other at how long our breakfasts would last over way to many cups of coffee! Nothing better then a relaxing early morning in the Caribbean when it is freezing and snowing in NY!

Looking forward to when we will be doing that again in the future !

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, robertmartha said:

Fortunate enough to be on a January Caribbean sailing only 4 short months ago (seems like a lifetime ago looking back now) and enjoying a leisurely breakfast outside every morning that would last sometimes longer then I care to say! with our closest friends. We would joke with each other at how long our breakfasts would last over way to many cups of coffee! Nothing better then a relaxing early morning in the Caribbean when it is freezing and snowing in NY!

Looking forward to when we will be doing that again in the future !

A great memory!  Thanks for sharing it.  

My pleasure rkacruiser - the memories of that cruise are what is getting me thru these unprecedented times - now and for the foreseeable future or at least until a vaccine is available. Already told my wife and my adult kids/with their significant others that as soon as a vaccine is out and available we are talking that long overdue family get away. One thing that this situation has opened my eyes to is to live in the present and enjoy what you have and don't take anything for granted! I look at the Seabourn site every day - can't tell you how many (of the same!) searches I do looking at sailings for next year! Will be back on that outside deck of the Colonade at some point !

• Like 1

it is so refreshing to read  your positive thoughts "robertmartha". We also choose  😉  a long languid brekky with anyone who cares to join us. For it is these times we have met the most delightful people. As you said, "many cups of coffee later and yet another Croissant " we rise with new friends. Speaking of the food, one such friend was crazy about the lamb chops for breakfast. On the Colonnade outside deck we have had the happiest experiences being looked after by our favourite waiter and much loved character is Jose.

Edited by koalapanda
sp

Koalapanda

Would that be Jose on the Odyssey? If so...that is a very small world!

After a somewhat stand-offish waiter in The Restaurant the first evening - we were fortunate enough to be seated in Jose's section the second evening - and he took great care of us every evening after that for the remainder of the sailing! And we always tried to grab an outside table in the mornings in his section to the left 😉   ! 

33 minutes ago, robertmartha said:

Would that be Jose on the Odyssey?

Hi robertmartha, we did first meet Jose on Odyssey. Then to our delight our next few cruises on Encore we were so happy to see him again. There may be more than one Jose waiting on Seabourn. This happy chappy is of short stocky stature with a wicked sense of humour. He knows your every desire and is a true professional. Many of Seabourn's staff and crew have given us much joy and wonderful memories over the past years. More food we are salivating in memorial about are risotto and Ghanaian prawns in the Colonnade.