When do you think you'll cruise again?

grest

I hate the uncertainty, but I'm not sure.

I've had two great cruises canceled this year so far:  Japan on Westerdam (April), and T/A on Zuiderdam with stops in Iceland and Greenland.  I have BTB Med cruises on Celebrity scheduled for October but feel there is less than a 50/50 chance they'll sail (and not sure I will feel comfortable sailing by then anyway...

I also have a SA and Antarctic cruise on the books for January 2021. Realistically I think that's the first one for me that COULD be a go. I am just trying to stay flexible -- however, it could be that I feel more comfortable doing land travel for a while....  (not in the US, though, so I'd still have to face a long flight.)

• Like 1

When there is a vaccine for covid-19. If a vaccine is developed, but is contraindicated for me to have it, then there would need to be a significant amount of herd immunity before I will be willing to venture out. How much is 'significant'? I don't know. 
There can't be outbreaks of covid where I plan to be, either. 

• Like 1

No idea.  Not enough data.  No vaccine.  A very wild guess would be late 2021 or 2022.  

Certainly not going to risk our health or well being for the sake of a cruise.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

Just booked for Sept 25, 2021 around Hawaii. Figured by then this thing had better be contained, controlled, or vaccinated. If not - will not matter as we will be totally lock-down stir crazy and it will not matter. 

That cruise was about as far out as the cancelled 2020 cruise FCC would let us book, and the cruise is mainly US states. If the pandemic gods smile down on us, and we get this under control earlier - we will consider an additional earlier cruise.

• Like 2

After having two cruises cancelled I’m not sure.  I have two cruises booked for later this year.  One in November and another for Christmas.  I’m willing to go but it is out of my control.  Final payment for November comes early August if there is no sailing plan I’ll need to cancel November.  Also if all our refunds aren’t processed I’ll cancel.

To be honest, I think that the big cruise companies are running out of time. Possible that cruises could resume in late summer in Asia. China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam with Asian companies. Australasia might resume small ships activity (under 500 pax) solely for domestic customers. But, it look like the Northern European and Alaska season is fini. Don't know if the Mediterranean season can resume in December?

As long as there is significant community transmission in many countries, the pandemic is still on. Right now, Russia, Mexico and Brazil are in the growth phase. USA, UK, Sweden will have community transmission for a long time. The entire western hemisphere is no go for 2020. Thanks to the freedom lovers!!!

Even if a country is able to squash the curve, it will require months for gradual easing. Backed up by border restrictions. International tourism being the lowest priority. Likely see 14-day isolation requirements for the foreseeable future. Not good

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/provincial-health-officer-says-physical-distancing-in-phase-2-going-well-as-b-c-records-10-new-cases-1.5582033

Keep track of the border closures here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_restrictions_related_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic#Europe

Stay Safe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our plan is to sail 10/2021....

The FCCs were burning a hole in our pocket......booked the Ryndam TA.....We will cruise sooner if the price and itinerary is right.

Let's get going......

• Like 2

The magic date for us will be when the Travel Advisory level now (no non-essential travel) goes to a level under which insurance companies can resume selling Travel Medical with no restrictions.  I can't see travelling internationally without having full travel medical.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mrs Banjo and I are scheduled to cruise in September, but we are planning to cancel that one and then in January.  We are cautiously optimistic that the ports and Australia & NZ will be open.  If they are still closed we will cancel that cruise as well and wait until thing open up again.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Latest information from Europe is that Spain will open for 'Foreign' (ie non european) travelers in July.  Italy will open before that.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/spain-awaits-you-from-july-prime-minister-says-pledging-to-protect-tourist-safety-39229714.html

Good for them. I will not be going to Spain if they allow visitors from countries with community transmission.

The big question here is when the CDC withdraws the advisory on travel on cruise ships?

Edited by HappyInVan

Not planning to cruise, and might not feel comfortable for years. 

Vaccines are hoped for but not a sure bet.  Season flu has vaccine that is modified every year but not anywhere near a guarantee against getting the flu.  In the US, flu season takes 12,000 - 60,000 people's lives, and that is with flu vaccines widely available.  Now the US is in the 100,000 deaths range after only about 8 weeks, and climbing, with our [US] overall rate of climb not changing significantly yet.  

Many types of viral infections do not have vaccines - Hepatitis C and HIV for example, but treatments have been developed although these are long-term, expensive and can take a toll on the recipient.  No corona-type virus has had a successful vaccine developed, but of course we are hoping that will change! And we hope that it will be shown to be effective and not harmful, something which will take some time to establish.  

In 2017 DH and I were on a fabulous cruise, R/T Ft Lauderdale to the Med, 48 nights.  Fabulous itinerary.  We didn't get to enjoy half of if because we became ill, cancelled many excursions, stayed aboard and took room service to "lay low" and avoid getting worse, trying to regain our wellness; first we contracted nasty colds with deep coughs like so many on board, then Noro, then DH was diagnosed with beginning pneumonia... we were aided by meds from ship's medical, but also warned we could be put ashore in Sardinia, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco or Madaiera... our return-route ports.  This got our attention!  We began our vacation healthy and fit, then got progressively worse in the cruise ship "petri dish" environment.  We had no underlying medical issues, took the normal precautions of frequently washing hands, using hand sanitizer, avoiding buffet utensils, took immune system boosting vitamins, etc.  We work as EMTs with our volunteer fire department and consider ourselves healthy and relatively savvy.  But we still became ill, unsettlingly ill.  

In 2018  we took a different type of vacation and were happily well.  Then in the fall we enjoyed a 21 night B2B in the Caribbean on Koningsdam, but by then end of it I had the usual cruise crud cold, nothing dramatic but noticeable and disappointing. 

We will not cruise while COVID is a significant risk.  We don't want to be on a ship wearing masks, with closed hot tubs, exercise rooms, pools, libraries; no shows, limited seating in music venues, dining venues...  not our idea of a relaxed cruise vacation. 

With the deaths still climbing in the US and other parts of the world, no clear means of effective mitigation or vaccine in sight...  no, we will not be cruising.  We will stay out of the petri dish, maybe do some local kayaking this year.... 2021 is too far away to plan for.  Yes, we will miss it, we have loved our cruises but it may not be for us any more.  Maybe not ever?  Dunno...   we'll see too if the cruise lines survive as we knew them or if they morph into some other form.  For right now, we are staying home, and feeling blessed that we are well!  

Maureen

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

when we have a vaccine, if I can take . I’ve had adverse reactions to two flu shots spaced several years apart, so not sure my neurologists will even allow me to take it. I have a feeling it will be a long toile before I can get on a cruise ship again.

Great question. Will likely not get on a big ship for years. 

May not be much difference but somehow in my way of thinking, river cruising seems to be a "logical" alternative. Will likely do a few before considering ocean cruising. 

Last river cruise was on Uniworld three years ago. A few less people when full than many of their competitors who pack a few more staterooms in. Kind of surprised we haven't done it again having sailed 9 times since then on ocean type ships. Now's our opportunity. 

We have really enjoyed the cruises we have taken that allowed us to see parts of the world we never dreamed of visiting. Since starting in 2003 we have always had one or more booked but not now. Don't know if and when we will go on a cruise but I know it will not be this year and probably next.  We live in Las Vegas and also do a "Staycation" at Wynn once or twice a year but even if they reopen on June 4th as is currently projected(the Governor will make an announcement on Tuesday) we have no plans to go there either. Our dining out is now dining take out and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. No desire to go on a cruise ship, Resort  or restaurant were we have to wear a mask, can't enjoy the amenities as we like and are fearful that someone nearby can spread Covid 19. 

• Like 1