When do you think you'll cruise again?

grest

21 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

There are plenty including the famous Dr Fauci.

You mean this Dr. Fauci?

"Dr. Anthony Fauci on Wednesday called for a cautious approach to reopening the US and implored Americans to wear face masks in public, comments that are at odds with President Donald Trump's push to have America quickly return to normalcy...

Fauci said he believes that while wearing a mask is not "100% effective," it is a valuable safeguard and shows "respect for another person."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/fauci-coronavirus-wear-masks-cnntv/index.html

6bcb54a9-42c4-4b24-bf18-57629e78dc4d.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

You mean this Dr. Fauci?

"Dr. Anthony Fauci on Wednesday called for a cautious approach to reopening the US and implored Americans to wear face masks in public, comments that are at odds with President Donald Trump's push to have America quickly return to normalcy...

Fauci said he believes that while wearing a mask is not "100% effective," it is a valuable safeguard and shows "respect for another person."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/fauci-coronavirus-wear-masks-cnntv/index.html

6bcb54a9-42c4-4b24-bf18-57629e78dc4d.jpg

Here he changed is tune. Prior to this date he had said they were of little use for the public.

9 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Here he changed is tune. Prior to this date he had said they were of little use for the public.

Do you know when he last said that masks were unnecessary?

It was the same for DR. Bonnie Henry, our Public Health Officer. Finally, she changed her tune when it was realized that covid19 was different from SARS. Viral shedding can begin before symptoms appear. So, the doctors listened to the evidence and corrected their mistakes.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

That's why the doctors are more trustworthy than the people who believe that they're smarter than the scientists.

Anyway, masks are the best and final defense when distancing isn't possible...

"Hairstylist with COVID-19 served 84 clients while symptomatic, Missouri officials say"

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hairstylist-covid-19-served-84-232558330.html

Fortunately, Carnval will be sailing under the guidance of science...

"Carnival Corp. CEO Arnold Donald: Science Will Drive Cruise Changes and Return Dates"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5366/?et_cid=3334830&et_rid=17086816&et_referrer=Boards&fbclid=IwAR3VmUeSqASOqdvH9yqUZl5wRHXwdPJncZsLmYHQTFVVkjEHh-RB1g_ujcE#

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

There are plenty including the famous Dr Fauci.

Dr. Fauci never said that social distancing and masking were silly.  As for the rest of the "plenty," can you name names?

12 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I'm not aware of an epidemiologist who regards social distancing and mask wearing as "silly."  Can you point to one?

Those "silly" rules are an example of why one should not put epidemiologist in charge of an economy.  It can be argued that those "silly" rules have done more harm than the virus.

Back to the question.

I may consider a cruise in the future depending upon what the product is for the travel to the cruise, what is the product during the cruise and the return.

Every facet from leaving the front door of my home to the return would be analyzed to determine if the benefits are substantially higher than the costs of $, time, risk, inconvenience etc.

The benefits would have to be substantial.  Also, like many other posters on CC, we are now examining other vacation options.

Cruising has fallen from the 1st consideration in vacation planning, to the last.

I suspect I am not alone in this paradigm shift.

Also, due to the useless Cdn $, I have severely reduced any planned travel outside Canada. Not prepared to pay 30-40% more for a cruise or tour etc.

I have friends who have just purchased RV's, friends who have purchased very high end SUV's, as they have stopped foreign travel and will spend their vacation time in Canada and the US visiting friends across North America. 

All the above does not support the cruise industry.

Here we were told masks will not help anybody and we don’t have to wear it. Then the industries starting producing millions of masks and China sold there masks all over the world - then everybody turned to : everybody have to wear a mask....
so I will also say : silly ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

14 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Back to the question.

I may consider a cruise in the future depending upon what the product is for the travel to the cruise, what is the product during the cruise and the return.

Every facet from leaving the front door of my home to the return would be analyzed to determine if the benefits are substantially higher than the costs of $, time, risk, inconvenience etc.

The benefits would have to be substantial.  Also, like many other posters on CC, we are now examining other vacation options.

Cruising has fallen from the 1st consideration in vacation planning, to the last.

I suspect I am not alone in this paradigm shift.

Also, due to the useless Cdn $, I have severely reduced any planned travel outside Canada. Not prepared to pay 30-40% more for a cruise or tour etc.

I have friends who have just purchased RV's, friends who have purchased very high end SUV's, as they have stopped foreign travel and will spend their vacation time in Canada and the US visiting friends across North America. 

All the above does not support the cruise industry.

As I am from the US, the Canadian comments are not applicable to us.

The other comments reflect how we now view travel plans.  There are too many unknowns to even consider a cruise at this point.

As the experience becomes clearer in the future, maybe.  Now...it's a no go.

B

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Those "silly" rules are an example of why one should not put epidemiologist in charge of an economy.  It can be argued that those "silly" rules have done more harm than the virus.

So you can't point to a single epidemiologist who believes that social distancing and mask wearing are silly.  I get it now.

And you're claiming that social distancing and mask wearing damage the economy?  Wow.  Now that's out there, even for Alabama.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

So you can't point to a single epidemiologist who believes that social distancing and mask wearing are silly.  I get it now.

And you're claiming that social distancing and mask wearing damage the economy?  Wow.  Now that's out there, even for Alabama.

Can you point to a single economist who thinks social distance, wearing masks, and all the other silly rules has improved the economy?  And yes, because of those epidemiologists, their silly rules, and their models did cause the GDP to drop and employment to crater.  

Edited by RocketMan275

2 hours ago, bellebaby said:

As I am from the US, the Canadian comments are not applicable to us.

The science is the same. As is the cost of inept leadership.

"New Study Suggests U.S. COVID-19 Cases Could Have Been 35 Times Higher Without These Measures...

The results imply that by April 27, the number of cases would have been 35 times higher without any of the measures — suggesting the U.S. would have reported 35 million (rather than 1 million) COVID-19 cases...

“Our results suggest that light measures don’t work, and strong measures do, but they don’t really say anything about intermediate measures — like opening restaurants at reduced capacity, or allowing socialization with masks,”

http://gatton.uky.edu/about-us/stay-connected/news/2020/new-study-suggests-us-covid-19-cases-could-have-been-35-times

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

The science is the same. As is the cost of inept leadership.

"New Study Suggests U.S. COVID-19 Cases Could Have Been 35 Times Higher Without These Measures...

The results imply that by April 27, the number of cases would have been 35 times higher without any of the measures — suggesting the U.S. would have reported 35 million (rather than 1 million) COVID-19 cases...

“Our results suggest that light measures don’t work, and strong measures do, but they don’t really say anything about intermediate measures — like opening restaurants at reduced capacity, or allowing socialization with masks,”

http://gatton.uky.edu/about-us/stay-connected/news/2020/new-study-suggests-us-covid-19-cases-could-have-been-35-times

Computer models have been shown to grossly overestimate the effects of the virus.  

The question remains whether the effects on the economy have been worth the shutdowns.

49 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Can you point to a single economist who thinks social distance, wearing masks, and all the other silly rules has improved the economy?  And yes, because of those epidemiologists, their silly rules, and their models did cause the GDP to drop and employment to crater.  

Double wow.  I've been to 45 of the 50 states -- I can see why I've never been to Alabama.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the grocery store, where I'll be practicing social distancing and wearing a mask.  Who knew that I was wrecking the economy by doing so?  

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Double wow.  I've been to 45 of the 50 states -- I can see why I've never been to Alabama.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the grocery store, where I'll be practicing social distancing and wearing a mask.  Who knew that I was wrecking the economy by doing so?  

Was that really necessary?  Snarky never helps.

I expect there are many who agree the CDC recommendations...together with the

CDC changes from time to time...have done a great deal of harm to the economy.

Edited by DFD1

10 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Dr. Fauci never said that social distancing and masking were silly.  As for the rest of the "plenty," can you name names?

Dr. Fauci said this in a March2020 interview. He literally stated that it’s not necessary to wear a mask during a pandemic. He said it may block a droplet or two but only gives people a false sense of safety. 

The Canadian Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Tam only advised Canadians to wear a mask on May 20.  Said individual advised against closing the border as it would be a racist act.  Canada still gets flights each day from China. Dr. Tam is a fervent supporter of the WHO.

Considerable push back on the late Canadian border closing, so many feel the galloping along early closure of Canadian ports to Oct 31 was a way to try to make up for this.

Given that Canada had considerable experience with SARS, Toronto being the epicentre, we were not well prepared at all.

33 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

Was that really necessary?  Snarky never helps.

I expect there are many who agree the CDC recommendations...together with the

CDC changes from time to time...have done a great deal of harm to the economy.

To your question:  Yes it was, actually, to show the nuttiness of the position.

Perhaps you can explain how social distancing and wearing a mask harm the economy.  Our Alabama friend says these two measures are "silly," so please address them in particular -- not the other CDC recommendations.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Dr. Fauci said this in a March2020 interview. He literally stated that it’s not necessary to wear a mask during a pandemic. He said it may block a droplet or two but only gives people a false sense of safety. 

Can you provide a link?  I've Googled "Fauci" and "silly," and I've found no evidence that he ever said social distancing and mask wearing were silly. 

53 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Wearing a mask won't make you any safer at the grocery store.  That's why it's a silly rule.

BTW, those rockets that took us to the moon were designed in Alabama.

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

BTW, those rockets that took us to the moon were designed in Alabama.

Yes, and Bull Connor and George Wallace were Alabama politicians at the time.  Now Roy Moore and others have carried on that proud lineage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Yes, and Bull Connor and George Wallace were Alabama politicians at the time.  Now Roy Moore and others have carried on that proud lineage.

There's no need to inject politics into this thread.  

Besides, if you read the rules, you'll learn that politics are prohibited.

You might want to do some research on the effects of these shutdowns on the economy and personal well-being.  You might try the Wall Street Journal, or Market Watch, or Baron's, etc.

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There's no need to inject politics into this thread.  

Besides, if you read the rules, you'll learn that politics are prohibited.

You might want to do some research on the effects of these shutdowns on the economy and personal well-being.  You might try the Wall Street Journal, or Market Watch, or Baron's, etc.

You were the one who brought up Alabama in the 1960s.

We're not talking about shutdowns.  We're talking about social distancing and mask wearing -- period.  You denigrated those measures, and I responded.  Don't shift the subject.

Edited by DaveSJ711