Fort Lauderdale- 1 or 2 days pre-cruise?

Ombud

I've always flown in embarkation day. But this time I'm thinking of staying at either Hyatt 17th St or Embassy Suites (belong to both Hilton & Hyatt -- my go to hotel chains). If I do, what do Floridians suggest for a 1-2 day visit in April? I don't like humidity (we don't have that in the SF area but we have beaches & vineyards) so I'm thinking of being hotel bound in the afternoon and venturing out mornings and evenings. 

What would be your top 3 suggestions? 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I've always flown in embarkation day. But this time I'm thinking of staying at either Hyatt 17th St or Embassy Suites (belong to both Hilton & Hyatt -- my go to hotel chains). If I do, what do Floridians suggest for a 1-2 day visit in April? I don't like humidity (we don't have that in the SF area but we have beaches & vineyards) so I'm thinking of being hotel bound in the afternoon and venturing out mornings and evenings. 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

We are flying into FLL for the first time. Our cruise is September 5th, out-of POM we usually stay downtown Miami. Have never stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. Booked two nights, just want to relax by the pool with the restaurants and shopping close by. The water taxi departs from the Hyatt, takes you to numerous places. An Uber to the beach are a couple of things to do.

• Thanks 1

Have you read down the board? Many suggestions...like the Water Taxi, which alone could be a full day, maybe two.

Both hotels are discussed here almost daily. Embassy Suites has a pretty nice pool, which might make your afternoons more enjoyable. Don't know what Hyatt has...haven't stayed there.

Sorry. The posts I saw seem to be about hotels (don't need help there as I'll stay where I get membership perks) or getting to the ship (don't need help there as I'll just uber). I'm just wondering if spending a few days in Fort Lauderdale before the Transatlantic cruise is worth it. What to do other than water activities (the beach is about an hour away from my house and I pass a great marina getting there). 

I posted a similar question last year about Charleston. TruckerDave and waterbug123 were awesome .... nothing like a local to clue me in to what to do

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have you read down the board? Many suggestions...like the Water Taxi, which alone could be a full day, maybe two.

Both hotels are discussed here almost daily. Embassy Suites has a pretty nice pool, which might make your afternoons more enjoyable. Don't know what Hyatt has...haven't stayed there.

You don’t have to spend all day on the water taxi. Go to a specific stop or two and then return. Spend a few hours seeing Fort Lauderdale.

• Thanks 1

If spending more than 24 hours, I suggest staying in 'downtown' Fort Lauderdale (Las Olas Blvd area), not 17th Street.  There are a number of new hotels (Delmar, Element, Hyatt Centric) plus the venerable (and cruiser favorite) Riverside and plenty of restaurants, galleries, museums, the water taxi, and the sun trolley.  There's also the sightseeing boat, the Carrie B, docked on the New River.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

If spending more than 24 hours, I suggest staying in 'downtown' Fort Lauderdale (Las Olas Blvd area), not 17th Street.  There are a number of new hotels (Delmar, Element, Hyatt Centric) plus the venerable (and cruiser favorite) Riverside and plenty of restaurants, galleries, museums, the water taxi, and the sun trolley.  There's also the sightseeing boat, the Carrie B, docked on the New River.

Thank you!! I was looking / booking in the wrong area. 

Edited by Ombud

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

I agree with his advice as well.  I have been a frequent visitor to Fort Lauderdale over the years and there is never any time when I ran out of something to do that I enjoyed.  Since you are flying from the West Coast, give yourself some time to adjust to the time difference.  You will want to embark your ship "ready to go" and not jet lagged in any way.  

I really like the water taxi option:  hop on/off.  Their schedule is frequent enough with two different routes (if I remember correctly) to provide a variety of inexpensive sightseeing and visiting of different areas.

• Thanks 1