Do you want cruising to return to what it was?

Can't go back, just wishful thinking. Maybe even wistful.  But time marches on and everything changes, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

I'm thinking COVID 19 will bring about sudden changes in many areas of our lives, not just cruising.  Hold onto your hats for this ride.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, ilikeanswers said:

Interesting CC article about annouced COVID19 related changes :

What New Health Protocols Are Cruise Lines Introducing?

It was kind of silent on the mass market lines of Carnival Corp, RCCI and NCL — which are the ones who should be speaking up if they want to build any customer confidence.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, evandbob said:

Can't go back, just wishful thinking. Maybe even wistful.  But time marches on and everything changes, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

Not all change is bad though. On another thread someone made an interesting point about whether we want the tourist industry as a whole to return to what it was just before the pandemic. There was a lot of problems with the travel industry and where it was heading. This pause in travel could be a good opportunity to re evaluate the way the industry has been run and if there are better ways to doing things. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

I'm thinking COVID 19 will bring about sudden changes in many areas of our lives, not just cruising.  Hold onto your hats for this ride.

Economics say otherwise.

Lots of folks are hoping coronavirus will lead to changes they prefer but are not economically viable.  The economics won't change so those changes won't happen.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It was kind of silent on the mass market lines of Carnival Corp, RCCI and NCL — which are the ones who should be speaking up if they want to build any customer confidence.

Almost all of the ones listed (with exception of the one river cruise company) operate mainly outside the US.

I'm guessing that the large lines like Carnival, RCCL, NCL are silent because they are having to develop procedures that will pass CDC approval for US operations.  This is probably hugely complex, in all areas of operations, not just a matter of "wash your hands/wear a mask/stay distant". 

Perhaps they don't want to say anything until these are approved...

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Almost all of the ones listed (with exception of the one river cruise company) operate mainly outside the US.

I'm guessing that the large lines like Carnival, RCCL, NCL are silent because they are having to develop procedures that will pass CDC approval for US operations.  This is probably hugely complex, in all areas of operations, not just a matter of "wash your hands/wear a mask/stay distant". 

Perhaps they don't want to say anything until these are approved...

Agreed, but those large lines are selling cruises NOW  — to customers who simply have no idea of what they are being offered.  Perhaps the old “caveat emptor” adage is simply passé.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed, but those large lines are selling cruises NOW  — to customers who simply have no idea of what they are being offered.  Perhaps the old “caveat emptor” adage is simply passé.

Indeed.  I'm more of a "wait and see" type. I won't even book on a new ship until she's had at least 4-6 months to work out the kinks.

17 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

I know this isn't happening because cruise lines want to please everybody, but I miss the days when cruising was an elegant vacation.

Times change.  Thinking of a cruise on a mass market ship as an “elegant vacation” is kind of like going to Walmart for an elegant shopping experience.

• Like 1

It is still possible to have an 'elegant' vacation on a cruise ship.  You simply have to be willing to pay a premium price for it.  You certainly cannot expect to have it on a mass market cruise line at mass market prices.  Even though there are some people who seem to cling to the notion that you can.

Not much different than any other consumer or travel offering.  Besides the obvious changes in travellers preferences over time  one can hardly expect a Ritz Carlton or a Savoy Hotel experience at a Holiday Inn rate.

Edited by iancal

5 hours ago, cruznjan said:

but I miss the days when cruising was an elegant vacation.

I've never thought of a vacation as being elegant. Maybe a night at a cultural event or one at an elegant restaurant. But an entire vacation? No thanks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, clo said:

I've never thought of a vacation as being elegant. Maybe a night at a cultural event or one at an elegant restaurant. But an entire vacation? No thanks.

Well, I’m not sure if it’s “elegant” but a week at my sister’s just outside of London - with a couple of plays in town, a gallery or two, at least one seated dinner with old friends and relatives followed by a (fairly formal) return to the US on QM2 is on a  plane quite different from  a week in a tent in Maine.  

You play the cards you are dealt (or deal to yourself) - I don’t see “elegant” as a derogatory term.

31 minutes ago, clo said:

I think we are in the same boat (pun intended) on this one.

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I don’t see “elegant” as a derogatory term.

Not at all. My point was that if you want to be elegant for an entire vacation you probably wouldn't be happy hanging out with us. We're always going up those side streets, eating weird food and hanging out with the locals.

30 minutes ago, clo said:

Not at all. My point was that if you want to be elegant for an entire vacation you probably wouldn't be happy hanging out with us. We're always going up those side streets, eating weird food and hanging out with the locals.

Which is probably in the middle ground (which we also occasionally inhabit) -  between our fairly posh dinner/gallery/theatre events and our sleeping out and cooking over wood fires options.

But, if you are planning a week or two packing can be a real ***** if all three tiers must be planned for.

Diversity make life more interesting.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, clo said:

Thinking about this as the cruise lines have gone forward to a less elegant model, so have we. After booking our very first cruise, DW was excited about the concept of formal nights. She went out and bought a pattern and material and made her dress for those nights. Now she would just as soon skip the dining room entirely and just eat at the buffet.

53 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which is probably in the middle ground (which we also occasionally inhabit) -  between our fairly posh dinner/gallery/theatre events and our sleeping out and cooking over wood fires options.

Diversity make life more interesting.

Did you watch Downton Abbey? That to me is what being elegant all day every day would be like. 

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Times change.  Thinking of a cruise on a mass market ship as an “elegant vacation” is kind of like going to Walmart for an elegant shopping experience.

Which cruise ships do you use for your elegant vacations?  

I don't see the point of indulging in nostalgia -- I have no wish to see cruise lines go back to some golden era. But I think the OP rather meant to ask whether we want to see cruising continue as it was before COVID-19 or do we hope the lines will make some changes that may be permanent...

Personally, I not convinced that long-term changes will occur as a result of this, at least not if it is up to the cruise lines themselves. They will do what they can, within the (absolute) limit of the law in order to make as much profit as possible. In my opinion, that is neither a good nor sustainable way to operate, but many of my fellow citizens will say that this is simply capitalism. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't see the point of indulging in nostalgia -- I have no wish to see cruise lines go back to some golden era. But I think the OP rather meant to ask whether we want to see cruising continue as it was before COVID-19 or do we hope the lines will make some changes that may be permanent...

Personally, I not convinced that long-term changes will occur as a result of this, at least not if it is up to the cruise lines themselves. They will do what they can, within the (absolute) limit of the law in order to make as much profit as possible. In my opinion, that is neither a good nor sustainable way to operate, but many of my fellow citizens will say that this is simply capitalism. 

What is wrong with capitalism ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Which cruise ships do you use for your elegant vacations?  

I do not choose any cruise ship “FOR” any vacation.  I do choose QM2 as a way to come home from what is the closest thing I have to “elegant vacations” : my visits with rather formal sister’s family in England.  I choose QM2 (which is perhaps one of the most formal ships sailing) - not for her formality, but because of the fact that she offers the most comfortable way to come home from frequent trips to visit that formal family in England.  She sails from Southampton - perhaps three hours away from my sister’s house, and she lets me off in Brooklyn - about an hour away from my house.

it is purely coincidental that the ideal way to cross the Atlantic happens to be similarly formal to the week or so preceding that crossing.  Frankly, I would prefer a less formal shipboard environment — but the convenience of the itinerary makes sense.

6 hours ago, clo said:

Our idea of a vacation is to be pampered. We like elegant cruise ships. Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and so on have done a pretty good job at providing an elegant setting (though more casual now than in years past).  We figure we can be casual for free when we hang out at home though, so if we are going on a cruise vacation we want it to take us away from the craziness of every day life.  It's a breather for some yet obviously not for everyone, but you sure can get used to it.   

29 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Our idea of a vacation is to be pampered. We like elegant cruise ships. Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and so on have done a pretty good job at providing an elegant setting (though more casual now than in years past).  We figure we can be casual for free when we hang out at home though, so if we are going on a cruise vacation we want it to take us away from the craziness of every day life.  It's a breather for some yet obviously not for everyone, but you sure can get used to it.   

So do you do elegant all day? 

2 hours ago, clo said:

So do you do elegant all day? 

generally one does not do elegant as it not really action

The meaning... from what the OP was getting at, elegant meaning :- 

Classy,  Fine,  Graceful, Majestic, Refined, Stately,  Tasteful

Or the English meaning doing things properly

Edited by getting older slowly