How to get money returned from Princess. Any advice?

heidikay

I paid for my cancelled cruise by credit card but to the TA not directly to Princess.  If I dispute the charge will Princess or the TA be held responsible?  I need to be sure before I lodge a dispute.  Princess are deliberately sitting on 22k of my money and i am sick to the back teeth of promises that lead to nothing.

2 hours ago, stellacruises said:

I paid for my cancelled cruise by credit card but to the TA not directly to Princess.  If I dispute the charge will Princess or the TA be held responsible?  I need to be sure before I lodge a dispute.  Princess are deliberately sitting on 22k of my money and i am sick to the back teeth of promises that lead to nothing.

What did credit card statement say? Princess or your TA?

Sailing date?

ship?

cancellation date?

did Princess cancel?

have you called or emailed TA/ Princess to ask about refund?

have receipts, cancellation, contacts ready to file dispute

14 hours ago, dog said:

The 105 page thread on cc has a few posting refunds in March /April.

In March & early April
they did some refunds for March/April with FCC & credit cards 

by mid April started to see mainly FCC refunds

then by Mid May there were several FCC & credit card refunds

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stellacruises said:

I don't know in Australia.

In the US - the charges on our credit card say "Princess cruises" and not the agency. Though if we do dispute and win, the travel agent does lose her commission. One can make this up in other ways (gifts, sending them gift certificates, giving them money).

I don't know how things work in Australia. I understand about protecting the travel agent as they are not responsible for this.

Edited by Coral

Unfortunately the charges are named to the TA, not Princess, and I cannot cost her 20k because of Princess's shonky attitude.  Next time, with a different cruise line always, it will be paid direct to them so I have some control over it.

4 minutes ago, stellacruises said:

Unfortunately the charges are named to the TA, not Princess, and I cannot cost her 20k because of Princess's shonky attitude.  Next time, with a different cruise line always, it will be paid direct to them so I have some control over it.

I thought I heard that Australia handled things differently.

Our TA's took the payments but it was passed on to the cruise lines so showed up on CC as Princess not the TA. I am pretty sure that is how it is done here.

Still waiting for Cunard March 17th and Princess May 16th cruises.

I have posted on the other thread about refunds,so I will be brief.

We cancelled a Nov.5,2020 cruise from Brooklyn to the Caribbean about two weeks ago. It was our decision to cancel,the cruise still appears on the Princess web site.

I was told by the phone rep. that Princess was posting refunds according to the sail date of future cruises. Since this cruise is in Nov.,I was surprised to see a credit for the $200.00 deposit on my credit card today. Amex notified me of the credit via email. After reading so many posts of people waiting for a refund,I was surprised to receive ours in a rather timely manner.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I have posted on the other thread about refunds,so I will be brief.

We cancelled a Nov.5,2020 cruise from Brooklyn to the Caribbean about two weeks ago. It was our decision to cancel,the cruise still appears on the Princess web site.

I was told by the phone rep. that Princess was posting refunds according to the sail date of future cruises. Since this cruise is in Nov.,I was surprised to see a credit for the $200.00 deposit on my credit card today. Amex notified me of the credit via email. After reading so many posts of people waiting for a refund,I was surprised to receive ours in a rather timely manner.

I am glad to hear you were refunded in a timely manner. When the customer cancels before final payment is due, the deposit is usually promptly refunded. The delayed refunds have been for customers since March 12 whose cruises have been cancelled by Princess (many of them cancelled after final payments had been made).

31 minutes ago, CruzRamirez said:

I am glad to hear you were refunded in a timely manner. When the customer cancels before final payment is due, the deposit is usually promptly refunded. The delayed refunds have been for customers since March 12 whose cruises have been cancelled by Princess (many of them cancelled after final payments had been made).

NOT really, mine Sky Princess Sept 4 which cancelled by me on Mar 20 before final payment............still waiting for the $200 refundable deposit back, way too long........more than 60 days Princess quoted. So disappointed!!!

Yes, I realize that our situation was different than those customers whose cruises were cancelled by Princess. At the  time we cancelled! I thought our request would be added to the general line of refund requests from customers starting through March and moving forward.

The rep that I spoke with was working from home. It took a bit of time for her to get our information and request entered into the program.

She did tell me that the credit may not appear on the next credit card statement and that it may take a few months to see the  credit. 

I can empathize with those customers who have made final payment and are waiting for a full refund. I am certain that it is frustrating to be waiting for thousands of dollars to be reinstated to the initial form of payment.

In my other post, I suggested that my information might help other customers as something to be brought up to Princess. If certain people are getting timely refunds,why can’t all refund requests be handled in a timely manner?

• Thanks 1

hello puppies- 

That is very frustrating. Perhaps you could try to call Princess again to check on the status of your cancellation request ?

I put up my information to try to help others that are still waiting for a refund.

It would be interesting to know how certain people are getting refunds while others are still waiting. I put in the request in the middle of May, you put in your request in March. It seems that you should have received a refund before me.

Apparently ,there is no rhyme or reason to how Princess is going about trying to satisfy customer requests.

Hoping you get satisfaction soon from Princess.

• Thanks 1

OK, so my refund showed up today finally. Here's what I did to speed things along:

1. Sent an email to:
     customerrelations@princesscruises.com, csteinke@princesscruises.com, lwarren@princess.com, jswartz@princesscruises.com. Make sure the subject line of your email is something positive to entice them to read it. "Status of my refund" will get it redirected to email hell but "Why Princess is my favourite line" will undoubtedly suck someone in to read it. They need all the good news they can get right about now.
  2. Make sure your contact info is in the email and ask for a call back, not an email response.  Send a follow up email at least twice a day asking for a response and telling them you haven't received one yet. Princess President's office did call me eventually.
  3. Call your credit card company and tell them the dates that you sent emails or called and received no response. Challenge the charge because of the lack of response. 
  4. Wait. My cc company said they would give Princess 7 days to respond and after 7 days if no response was received, the charge would be removed from my card pending further investigation which could take 50 days. Meanwhile, on those 50 days the charge is not on your card.

Today I received a call from Princess telling me that my refund had been released - exactly 7 days after my call to the cc company. They called today and told my wife that although they were refunding in chronological order, they wanted me to know they refunded ours in part to ease our concerns from the multiple emails. I'm sure a call from the CC company helped as well.

Don't give up folks - keep on them and don't forget, they started this mess when they stopped the refunds. Don't take any pity on them because they're busy. That's nonsense.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

OK, so my refund showed up today finally. Here's what I did to speed things along:

1. Sent an email to:
     customerrelations@princesscruises.com, csteinke@princesscruises.com, lwarren@princess.com, jswartz@princesscruises.com. Make sure the subject line of your email is something positive to entice them to read it. "Status of my refund" will get it redirected to email hell but "Why Princess is my favourite line" will undoubtedly suck someone in to read it. They need all the good news they can get right about now.
  2. Make sure your contact info is in the email and ask for a call back, not an email response.  Send a follow up email at least twice a day asking for a response and telling them you haven't received one yet. Princess President's office did call me eventually.
  3. Call your credit card company and tell them the dates that you sent emails or called and received no response. Challenge the charge because of the lack of response. 
  4. Wait. My cc company said they would give Princess 7 days to respond and after 7 days if no response was received, the charge would be removed from my card pending further investigation which could take 50 days. Meanwhile, on those 50 days the charge is not on your card.

Today I received a call from Princess telling me that my refund had been released - exactly 7 days after my call to the cc company. They called today and told my wife that although they were refunding in chronological order, they wanted me to know they refunded ours in part to ease our concerns from the multiple emails. I'm sure a call from the CC company helped as well.

Don't give up folks - keep on them and don't forget, they started this mess when they stopped the refunds. Don't take any pity on them because they're busy. That's nonsense.

Glad you got your refund!

I find it interesting that they are STILL outright lying about processing in chronological order. They are NOT. This has been admitted on TA webinars as well as via email to TAs from our BDM contacts. All this does is make customers who have not been refunded from March even more angry when they see customers with April and May sailings getting their refunds. Princess could learn a lot about transparency, consistency, and communication.

FWIW I am still waiting on a March 14th sailing - originally chose option 1 to stick with them. No FCC and no refundable amounts. Every person I have spoken to has given me a different excuse. I have since filed a dispute with my credit card for the full amount. They can keep their FCCs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Glad you got your refund!

I find it interesting that they are STILL outright lying about processing in chronological order. They are NOT. This has been admitted on TA webinars as well as via email to TAs from our BDM contacts. All this does is make customers who have not been refunded from March even more angry when they see customers with April and May sailings getting their refunds. Princess could learn a lot about transparency, consistency, and communication.

FWIW I am still waiting on a March 14th sailing - originally chose option 1 to stick with them. No FCC and no refundable amounts. Every person I have spoken to has given me a different excuse. I have since filed a dispute with my credit card for the full amount. They can keep their FCCs.

Our refund was from a cruise we cancelled on March 16

• Thanks 1

I called Princess for a refund of my future cruise credit deposit the beginning of April. Everytime I call I get a different answer.  Two weeks ago it shows no longer in my account. The last representative I spoke to said that means they are working on this manually. She was the first person who couldn't say when it would be posted back to my credit card. Princess has done a very poor job in this matter. I know several people who got their money back  from other lines within a week. 

• Like 1

I called Princess a few minutes ago.  The agent gave me a lot of this or that and nothing she can help me but advise me to wait patiently for my time (June 13, 2020 sailing which we cancelled on March 23) and she does not know when it will be because the peoples are working from home etc.  It is very poor excuses Princess told their people at the front line to LIE to all of us about our money.

Edited by ChattTenn
  • Like 1

We received cruise money credited to our CC account. Also received FCC posted to our Princess accounts.

We received 2 emails apologizing for the delay of refund prior to receiving the refund. It took 60 days from

cruise date (3/29/20) received the refund (5/29/20). Still waiting for refund of taxes, fees and port expenses.

Sent an e-mail to Contact Us and received a confirmation number. Customer Relations will be in contact in

the order they received it. We will see.  

On 5/26/2020 at 5:14 PM, nbsjcruiser said:

That's the part that Princess has successfully confused almost everyone with.

Princess stopped the refunds in mid-March. I've been saying that for weeks and it was confirmed by someone who was in on a TA Webex call with Princess. They now have a backlog of refunds that are dribbling through their overloaded systems - an overload that they themselves created. This is 2020, not 1920. Companies do not have employees sitting at desks processing refunds one at a time like some Charles Dickens counting house from 1850. Their refund system is an automated one that processes refunds as soon as the TA clicks "cancel".  Someone high up in Princess stopped those refunds so that they could use the money belonging to their "loyal" customers to play balance sheet gymnastics and now they're lying about it. At a time like this one would think that the last thing a company would want to do is create another black eye for themselves needlessly.

Princess stepped in it and now they're walking it around the room and they're hoping that their false look of confusion is enough to stop everyone from tapping them on the shoulder and pointing out where that God awful smell is coming from.

This is my opinion too, everything else I had booked for this year has been refunded at the touch of a button. If they are struggling to process refunds they need to employ more staff or start supervising the useless ones.

Edited by darknightsdespiser
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 8:24 AM, gmjc2 said:

No one doubts that it " was not their fault" but what is their fault is the lack of real time info and slow responses to refund requests. You were lucky to get yours early on. Although I am sure your experience was not the vacation you had hoped for!

Many other companies have had to deal with massive refund requests and have employees working from home etc but they have issued the refunds in a timely manner. Carnival and Royal Caribbean plus many airlines to name a few. As for furloughing employees, why would they do that when they know hoe many refunds have to be processed! Sorry but sympathy for Princess is in short supply by many!

Not entirely true, I am waiting for refunds from both Delta and American  airlines 

6 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

This is my opinion too, everything else I had booked for this year has been refunded at the touch of a button. If they are struggling to process refunds they need to employ more staff or start supervising the useless ones.

File a dispute with your credit card