Weymouth bay

London-Calling

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

In that case  P&O must have decided that cruises won't restart until much later in the year, if at all. 

Why do you think that wowzz? They're only using Ventura.

Avril 

Just now, Adawn47 said:

Why do you think that wowzz? They're only using Ventura.

Avril 

But why would you go to the expense of sailing Ventura all the way to India and back if you thought there was any chance of cruising resuming in the near future.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But why would you go to the expense of sailing Ventura all the way to India and back if you thought there was any chance of cruising resuming in the near future.

Okay. 6 week return trip. P&O have stated that all cruises are cancelled up to July 31st. Ventura should be back in the UK by mid July at the latest if she departs May 16th or 17th. After this pandemic it's only right that the crew go home for much needed R&R with their families. When cruising begins again the airports will also be open so P&O can fly in the replacement crew as usual. That to me doesn’t necessarily mean that there will be no more cruises until next year. That depends on covid19. 

Avril 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

P&O can fly in the replacement crew as usual.

But in this case they will need to fly in the entire complement of crew for all P&O and Cunard ships.  You are talking well in excess of 10,000 people. That's a logistical nightmare, and would take weeks to accomplish.

Another possibility is that the contracts of those crew returning by ship don't end until after Ventura arrives in India, and that she is bringing back crew whose contracts start round about the time Ventura leaves India.  Which would enable those crew members to be in place to commence operations soon after they get to the UK.

Of course, the date when passenger operations commence will probably be influenced more by politicians than Carnival.

Edited by Son of Anarchy

35 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Okay. 6 week return trip. P&O have stated that all cruises are cancelled up to July 31st. Ventura should be back in the UK by mid July at the latest if she departs May 16th or 17th. After this pandemic it's only right that the crew go home for much needed R&R with their families. When cruising begins again the airports will also be open so P&O can fly in the replacement crew as usual. That to me doesn’t necessarily mean that there will be no more cruises until next year. That depends on covid19. 

Avril 

The pandemic won't be over until next spring. Professor Whitty has already highlighted the threat of a second wave as the northern hemisphere flu season starts in the autumn.

Airports will be strictly limited on social distancing and there is talk of quarantining incoming flight pax, so I can't see cruises starting properly for at least 9 months in the UK.

45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But in this case they will need to fly in the entire complement of crew for all P&O and Cunard ships.  You are talking well in excess of 10,000 people. That's a logistical nightmare, and would take weeks to accomplish.

Ventura is the only ship repatriating  crew members. That's not 10,000 people. 

Avril 

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Ventura is the only ship repatriating  crew members. That's not 10,000 people. 

Avril 

No, but don't forget all the crew that have already been repatriated. Basically, all hotel staff will have left all the Cunard and P&O ships. So, to restart cruising, you have to replace the entire staff for both fleets.

Of course, P&O have already stated that when cruising does resume, it will be a gradual build-up rather than all ships setting sail within days of each other.  No doubt Cunard will be the same.

Interesting to see that Carnival Cruise Line says it is planning to resume sailing in North America on 1st August...

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-announces-plan-phase-service?fbclid=IwAR155gD7j4qT5HEAa1jgTNpr9ASxE4PQDL4aPeRIBJodzjv225goLXfBaqc

30 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Of course, P&O have already stated that when cruising does resume, it will be a gradual build-up rather than all ships setting sail within days of each other.  No doubt Cunard will be the same.

Interesting to see that Carnival Cruise Line says it is planning to resume sailing in North America on 1st August...

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-announces-plan-phase-service?fbclid=IwAR155gD7j4qT5HEAa1jgTNpr9ASxE4PQDL4aPeRIBJodzjv225goLXfBaqc

Yes, and no....

Sailings from 1st August relate to eight ships operating out of Miami, Port Canaveral and Galveston.  Followed by:

"our pause in operations will be extended in all other North American and Australian markets through August 31 ."

And a few others on top.

Interesting that there's no mention of the European operation at all.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

If it's a phased restart then that should not present a major problem, and there are some crew remaining on the ships, so it's not a full complement that's needed.

2 hours ago, jake 26 said:

The pandemic won't be over until next spring. Professor Whitty has already highlighted the threat of a second wave as the northern hemisphere flu season starts in the autumn.

Airports will be strictly limited on social distancing and there is talk of quarantining incoming flight pax, so I can't see cruises starting properly for at least 9 months in the UK.

I certainly have grave doubts whether this Winter's fly cruises to the Caribbean will take place, given the need to fly several thousand passengers out every fortnight to join the ships.

Edited by Denarius

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Yes, and no....

Sailings from 1st August relate to eight ships operating out of Miami, Port Canaveral and Galveston.  Followed by:

"our pause in operations will be extended in all other North American and Australian markets through August 31 ."

And a few others on top.

Carnival only seem to operate a very small European programme, so maybe that's why.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

If it's a phased restart then that should not present a major problem, and there are some crew remaining on the ships, so it's not a full complement that's needed.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
Incomplete

Indeed. 

Ventura can carry up to 3727 pax.

Crew for:

Azura - 1226

Arcadia - 880

Oceana - 870

Aurora - 850

Britannia - 1350

QM 2 - 1253

Queen Victoria - 900

Queen Elizabeth - In Manila

Total: 7329

Most of the deck officers and engineers live in Europe or as Terriorjohn says will be already be on board forming part of the skeleton crew. Some of the senior hotel staff are also based in Europe.

A lot of crew are from the Phillipines, so unless the intention is to fly them to India to transfer them to Ventura, they could fly out from the Phillipines.

Effectively then, Ventura could accommodate over half of the crew needed for the ships mentioned above.

Doable if need be.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 6:11 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Yes, and no....

And a few others on top.

I personally think it will be way into next year until we see any American ships in Southampton. You would need a vaccine in place before ships from there came here to sail cruises from. Also I still think some of the American lines are damaged brands.  I was vaguely looking last year at Princess cruises around the UK , but I would not sail with them now.  

10 minutes ago, the english lady said:

I personally think it will be way into next year until we see any American ships in Southampton. You would need a vaccine in place before ships from there came here to sail cruises from. Also I still think some of the American lines are damaged brands.  I was vaguely looking last year at Princess cruises around the UK , but I would not sail with them now.  

I would have thought that hopefully Carnival would have learnt their lesson from the various Princess issues, and therefore in future all Carnival lines would operate to the same standards . Therefore there would be no difference between P&O and Princess in terms of anti CV19 procedures.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I would have thought that hopefully Carnival would have learnt their lesson from the various Princess issues, and therefore in future all Carnival lines would operate to the same standards . Therefore there would be no difference between P&O and Princess in terms of anti CV19 procedures.

Not sure the american lines have if you look at their start up dates. Might only be in american waters, but the fact they are even thinking of putting passengers on ships within a couple of months suggests they havent.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, the english lady said:

Not sure the american lines have if you look at their start up dates. Might only be in american waters, but the fact they are even thinking of putting passengers on ships within a couple of months suggests they havent.

P&O and Cunard are American as well!