Regent Watercooler! Off topic and non-cruise discussion here!

Maybe no one is interested in this but I feel compelled to post about it.  With all the craziness going on in the U.S., I was particularly proud of our city today.  There are 100,000 people that live in our city (add to that about 20,000 people per month that visit here to shop when the Canadian border is open).  

We are in our "phase two" which has restaurants open at 50%, no bar seating.  There are only two restaurants that we are comfortable visiting.  One of them is a brewery/pizza house about 20 miles from our house - in the country (we are surrounded with woods, farms, and open spaces.  We went there for lunch today (only had one beer because I was driving).  The restaurant has people greet you outside to pick up orders and to wait to be seated (either inside or outside).  It caters to a younger crowd as it is on the way to Mt. Baker where people ski and snowboard.  

Every person that entered the restaurant on all of our visits wears a mask.  I saw three people almost leave their table to go to the restroom and stepped back to get their mask.  This is the kind of automatic behavior that makes me smile.  No one makes a big deal about it ....... tables are about 8-10 feet apart so we just feel as safe as we could possibly be during a pandemic.  

Many people have read about the chaos in Seattle.  We are close to 100 miles from Seattle and also had a protest march yesterday.  In our city, you need to get permission from the city to protest.  They insure that streets are blocked (if necessary) and that police are aware of the protest but are not in the middle of it.  I saw a photo of yesterday's march and saw men, women and children calmly walking down the street with banners and signs.  No one was screaming or destroying anything.  It was so good to see this.  Our town has a history of peaceful protests and I cannot recall a time when anyone was hurt or a building was harmed.  

Lastly, some black business owners were asked about how they are treated in our city.  The response was that they felt welcome here but there are times that children make it difficult for their children.  Still, they would rather live here than anywhere else.  Prior to moving here, we did a lot of research and visited several places (southern CA, northern CA, south and northern NV and Portland).  At that time we were rated the #3 place to retire in the U.S.  When we moved here over 18 years ago, it did not take long to know that we made the right decision.  Is it perfect?  No - is anywhere?  But, we appreciate every day that we are here.

P.S.  We are not perfect in terms of spreading Covid-19.  While our rates were extremely low in April and May, we have had increases since June.  Most of the gatherings have been in our county rather than in the city but we need to do better.  Sometimes I wish that the news would show towns that are doing things right/

• Like 2

greykitty:

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Keep watching (through a lot of commercials).  The narrative gets even darker in the second hour as the trio of "Devil" siblings plus the real ring leader perfects a plan to get the device to the target. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

Another reality accelerated due to current COVID-19 situation.  This concerns British Airways (BA) "retiring" Boeing 747s from its Fleet.  That was due to happen, anyway, sometime in 2020.  Now, a fact.

How nice it was to book early--via our Travel Agent--on a BA N/S flight either from SEATAC to Heathrow; or the reverse, while going to/returning from a European-based Regent or Silversea cruise; or before a few days in London before heading to France for a Uniworld river boat cruise. 

"Those were the days, my friends . . ."  Sorry for diverting to a Don McLean 1970s lyric.

747-400 Aircraft.  Two levels for Business Class seats.  The Main, and the "upper" accessed via a staircase.  Always went for, and acquired via staircase, that upper level.   Specifically Row 62, Seats A-B; or J-K.  Never disappointed.  Quiet, attentive service.

Well--we all have time to reflect on the past. That is my contribution. 

So-many uncertainties as to realistic expectations to resume either ocean or river cruising in the next 18 months. 

Take care, and keep those face masks on, please.

GOARMY!

We currently have a reservation on a BA 744 upper deck seats 64J and 64K, Heathrow to Cape Town in January 2021.
My understanding is that it is almost identical to the 747.
Obviously this flight will probably not happen, but maybe the experience you’ve had is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Blacksmith: 

I may have missed something, but do not see reference to a 744 aircraft in BA's fleet.  In any event, if you meant a 747, Row 64 seats (upper Deck) would be just-fine.  Any Row on that Deck is preferable due to being above the normal commotion below.  Also, we usually got the opportunity for a brief chat with the Captain or First Officer who made a point of short visitations with Crew and passengers while on a 'luv break.  Those were the days. . .

Bigger point:  given the run-away COVID-19 situation in South Africa (SA), cannot see Regent going forward with any cruises involving that country until, at-least, mid-2021.  What a shame.  One of our favorite parts of SA is in the Port Elizabeth area--about a 1.5 hours' flight from Cape Town.  That has been in conjunction with Safaris to "Camp Figtree", again, about a 1.25 hour Van ride from the Port Elizabeth Airport.   Addo National Elephant Game Preserve is the actual site, with Figtree being perched above on a hillside.  Such great memories. 

Hopefully, another return in 2022 or 2023, health (and a vaccine) allowing.   

GOARMY!

Blacksmith: 

I may have missed something, but do not see reference to a 744 aircraft in BA's fleet.  In any event, if you meant a 747, Row 64 seats (upper Deck) would be just-fine.  Any Row on that Deck is preferable due to being above the normal commotion below.  Also, we usually got the opportunity for a brief chat with the Captain or First Officer who made a point of short visitations with Crew and passengers while on a 'luv break.  Those were the days. . .

Bigger point:  given the run-away COVID-19 situation in South Africa (SA), cannot see Regent going forward with any cruises involving that country until, at-least, mid-2021.  What a shame.  One of our favorite parts of SA is in the Port Elizabeth area--about a 1.5 hours' flight from Cape Town.  That has been in conjunction with Safaris to "Camp Figtree", again, about a 1.25 hour Van ride from the Port Elizabeth Airport.   Addo National Elephant Game Preserve is the actual site, with Figtree being perched above on a hillside.  Such great memories. 

GOARMY!

Yeah. We have a reservation with Long Lee (pre cruise) which is also about an hour’s drive from Port Elizabeth. Been looking forward to it for almost a year now. Regent hasn’t canceled yet (waitlisted) but we expect they will soon.
I don’t know anything about airplanes, but British Airways shows our plane to be a 744.
Sounds pretty close to 747 (-3). [emoji847]

Have been following the South Africa situation fairly-closely, given our visits to that country, and hope for return in late 2022 or 2023.  Prior have been in conjunction with Regent cruises, with a pre-cruise Safari.  BBC has done several programs in this regard, focusing on the Port Elizabeth area.  Collapse of health care system, which was, at-best, problematical even before COVID-19.  Port Elizabeth has become the template as to a history of political corruption and incompetence exacerbating health problems throughout the Country. 

Sorry to be a 'Debbie Downer on this one; but fear only a matter of time until cancelation is confirmed. 

GOARMY!

5 hours ago, blacksmith said:

We currently have a reservation on a BA 744 upper deck seats 64J and 64K, Heathrow to Cape Town in January 2021.
My understanding is that it is almost identical to the 747.
Obviously this flight will probably not happen, but maybe the experience you’ve had is still there.

744 short for 747-400 being retired 

Army,
Debbie Downer has been in our midst for months now so no need for you to be sorry. Thanks for the additional info. Eventually we are determined to make this trip.

Seaknot,
Thanks for the link. In a perfect world BA would let us know in a timely manner that our seats no longer exist in their fleet. Guess we all know that it’s not a perfect world.

Bob

blacksmith: 

When you are able to make that trip:  Suggest arriving at Cape Town several days before beginning a safari; which would be several additional days before actually getting on a ship.  Stay at the Victoria & Albert Hotel.  This is in the waterfront area about five miles from downtown.  Wonderful, relaxing time for us while getting over jet-lag after two long-haul segments, SEATAC to Amsterdam; then Amsterdam to Cape Town.  Many top restaurants in the immediate area.  Concierge available to facilitate visits to local spots.  Wonderful Hotel breakfasts complete with champagne included in the room rate.  Due to powerful American dollar (at-least it was),  very reasonable, about 1/3rd of what one would expect to pay at a large American city downtown 5 Star hotel. 

Regent ships dock (or used-to) in the immediate waterfront area.  So, upon completion of a safari; and pick-up at Cape Town Airport, direct transfer via van right to the ship. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GOARMY said:

blacksmith: 

When you are able to make that trip:  Suggest arriving at Cape Town several days before beginning a safari; which would be several additional days before actually getting on a ship.  Stay at the Victoria & Albert Hotel.  This is in the waterfront area about five miles from downtown.  Wonderful, relaxing time for us while getting over jet-lag after two long-haul segments, SEATAC to Amsterdam; then Amsterdam to Cape Town.  Many top restaurants in the immediate area.  Concierge available to facilitate visits to local spots.  Wonderful Hotel breakfasts complete with champagne included in the room rate.  Due to powerful American dollar (at-least it was),  very reasonable, about 1/3rd of what one would expect to pay at a large American city downtown 5 Star hotel. 

Regent ships dock (or used-to) in the immediate waterfront area.  So, upon completion of a safari; and pick-up at Cape Town Airport, direct transfer via van right to the ship. 

GOARMY!

For what is worth the first picture is of the Hotel/Mall area which is a short distance (long walk or short taxi ride from where the Navigator docked on 2018WC. The last two pictures are at sail away....a favorite time on any port call! 

jsw_dscn8486.jpg

jsw_dscn8943.jpg

jsw_dscn8937.jpg

greykitty:  (and Maxmann65)

You earlier referenced Ann Rule, a Seattle native.  Ann and I discussed this Case on two occasions in 1996, or thereabouts, as a possible "Project".  She demurred, citing commitments on other Projects for the next five years.  However--

Starting in 1997, began working with a scriptwriter hired by "SHOWTIME" to develop a screenplay based on Anchorage-Chugiak.  I was still "on active duty" as an Inspector.  The Postal Service and the Inspection Service fully-cooperated on that Project  That effort resulted in being at Vancouver, B.C. for several weeks as Technical Advisor/Consultant during filming of---wait for it--

"The Inspectors"

Very-interesting experience literally "seeing" how some suggestions regarding speaking lines, and investigative techniques were portrayed and incorporated into the final product.  More important:  Was able to keep some real gaffs as to story line(s) and character portrayals on the cutting room floor and OUT of the Final Script.

The actor portraying the Lead Inspector (a fictionalized amalgamation of several Inspectors) was Academy Award Winner Louis Gossett Jr.  ("An Officer and a Gentleman")   He was also one of the Producers.  Now, this was Hollywood stuff, with about 60% of our actual Case incorporated into the story line.  Still--the basics were there, particularly monitoring of electronic communications and analysis of those prison audio tapes.  His sidekick--another Inspector--was played by Jonathan Silverman.  Both Gossett and Silverman took great pains to get the law enforcement aspects and techniques accurate.  "So, Inspector, show me exactly how you would do this. . ."  And so-forth.  The actual story line--well, it was Hollywood.  The final product was shown as SHOWTIME's first "feature movie" during its 1998 season.  Got good reviews, as I would like to recall.  

So--in 1999, Gossett and Silverman reprised their characters in--wait for it--

"Inspectors II"

Another stint, one of my last before retirement, at Vancouver for filming.  That was really a fictionalized story line based on Identity Theft.  It aired in late 1999 on SHOWTIME. 

Should one want to do a deeper-dive into the archives:  "Forensic Files--Court T.V."  11/16/2005.  That time when back at Anchorage was as a retired Inspector.  Technical Advisor and Narrator for that effort titled:  "Signed, Sealed, and Delivered".  Very-accurate as to forensics involved in "recreating" the 1990 Glenn Highway shooting; then how the Inspection Service's Crime Lab at D.C. was able to reconstruct elements of the device's "fire train" from the little that remained at the September, 1991 blast site. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blacksmith said:

Thanks Army & cwn for all the great info.
I mustered all of my tech skills and took screenshots of your posts. I’ll print them out and put them in our file for later reference. Hopefully not too much later.

Since you are making notes this is from the 2018WC for Cape Town......

We take the ship’s shuttle over to Victoria and Alfred Mall in the Waterfront area. Dick gets a hair cut at Mr Cobb’s the Barber by Jonathan. He has given Dick the best two haircuts Dick has ever had! Dick stumbled on the shop when we first visited Cape Town in 2009. He went back in 2015 and now he has the third one. We do a little shopping and then pick up the Hop On/Hop Off bus, we plan to do the red and yellow routes. The red route has stops at the Waterfront, the Clock tower, the Convention Center and 81 Long Street which is also the connection for yellow bus for the downtown route. We get off at 81 Long Street to do some shopping at Greens Square Market, one of the few things we have not had time for on past trips. 

At the Market stop, where venders from all over South Africa gather, we look for some bead work and luck out. We also peek in some of the shops along the street before going back to the Long Street stop and boarding the yellow bus for the downtown tour including St. George’s Cathedral, South African Museum, Mount Nelson Hotel, South African Jewish Museum, District Six Museum and Castle of Good Hope then back to the 81 Longstreet stop where we change back to the red city tour bus and go on to Table Mountain and out to Camps Bay and drive the coastal route, with stops at the President Hotel, St John’s Road and the Winchester Hotel then back to the V & A waterfront. We are riding and taking pictures just for the pleasure of seeing Cape Town again. This turns out to be an excellent way to get an overview of the city. It is a glorious day, blue skies with white fluffy clouds, so the coastal drive is spectacular! 

We get back to the V & A mall in time to catch the 3:30PM shuttle back to the ship.  It is a hike back to the shuttle as the HOHO drops off at the top of the Mall on the harbor side and the bus pick up is at the bottom of the mall on the Ocean side! We get back to the ship about 4PM and cool off and rest with a drink on the balcony before we leave again for our free ship’s tour, “Sundowners on Signal Hill,” departing at 5:30PM. If you are the ship when it offers this tour...take it! The next day we did the ship tour High Tea at Mt Nelson. This is worth doing alone or with the tour. We have done it both ways, fabulous food and beautiful setting.

I hope your cruise sails....we love South Africa. Spent two weeks there in 2009 and three weeks in 2015.

DSCN8498.JPG

DSCN8656.JPG

DSCN8776.JPG

DSCN8794.JPG

DSCN8906.JPG

DSCN8897.JPG

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Blacksmith: 

GOARMY!

You mentioned Addo National Elephant Game preserve. We visited the Preserve for 3 days staying in the Park's cottages. They were very nice and we had a wonderful self drive safari. in 2015. We were on a three week driving trip from Kruger National Park which we love to Cape Town to meet the Queen Mary to sail back to England the US. (We don't like long haul flights.) Just a couple of wonderful memories.

jsw_rnn_0480.jpg

jsw_rnn_0309.jpg

12 minutes ago, cwn said:

You mentioned Addo National Elephant Game preserve. We visited the Preserve for 3 days staying in the Park's cottages. They were very nice and we had a wonderful self drive safari. in 2015. We were on a three week driving trip from Kruger National Park which we love to Cape Town to meet the Queen Mary to sail back to England the US. (We don't like long haul flights.) Just a couple of wonderful memories.

jsw_rnn_0480.jpg

jsw_rnn_0309.jpg

Were you able to ride an African elephant while you were there?  It was one of the top experiences of my life.  The elephants are free during the day but are called in at night for protection (they do respond and go into their safe place).  We were able to feed them (into their mouth or trunk).  African elephants are very different than Asian elephants.  As long as you respect them (like not walking in front of them), you are fine.  

I wanted to ride an African elephant so badly that I had knee replacement surgery 11 months prior to our visit to Addo so that I could sit on the elephant without pain.  I will remember our beautiful elephant forever (note:  you do not sit in some silly basket  but sit on a blanket that covers the elephants back).  His trainer was with us - the only thing I had to hold on to was the belt loops of the trainer's pants.  In order to mount the elephant, you go to the second story of a building.  Quite the experience!

Edited by Travelcat2

cwn:

Great pictures bringing back great memories.  Our stay was at Camp Figtree, a British-themed Lodge complex above the Game Preserve.  Our TA advised, in advance:  "request a tent"   We did. What a tent! Hardwood floors covered with oriental rugs.  Marvelous service, and a fine way to meet with seven other couples with whom we would spend several weeks later-on when aboard Mariner en route from Cape Town to Rio. 

As to visuals:  somehow, I will try to enclose a video clip (about 30 seconds) my wife took of a big bull elephant with whom our Land Rover had a close encounter on a dusty side road during one afternoon excursion.   Our Game Warden/Guide was cool.  Turned off the engine as the elephant walked, silently, toward the vehicle.  Sue was seated next to a side door.  Good, unobstructed view.  Got her gadget out, and started "filming".  He just-kept walked toward us, so-close that his head took up the entire field of view.  He looked right at us--and just kept walking.  That 30 seconds was worth the whole trip.   

GOARMY!

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We stayed at Eagles Crag. We had a lovely cabin with glass in three sides, that opened completely....with a dip pool facing the mountains. The safaris were really good. Great experience. 
sheila

And we were with you and Herb at Eagles Crag and on the safari jeep (thanks to you requesting that we be on the same vehicle as you two).  What a wonderful time!

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 10:16 PM, GOARMY said:

"Those were the days, my friends . . ."  Sorry for diverting to a Don McLean 1970s lyric.

Did Don McLean record that?  I thought the original was recorded by Mary Hopkin, and I think Roger Whittaker covered it, but those are the only 'bigger' recordings I'm aware of...

Sorry, drifting off-topic, but since we can't play Trivia in the Observation Lounge, well, ya do what ya gotta do...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Did Don McLean record that?  I thought the original was recorded by Mary Hopkin, and I think Roger Whittaker covered it, but those are the only 'bigger' recordings I'm aware of...

Sorry, drifting off-topic, but since we can't play Trivia in the Observation Lounge, well, ya do what ya gotta do...

There is no topic on this thread.  We an talk about "almost" anything!

UUNetBill: 

You may be right---again!

I may have gotten this confused with Don's "Bye, bye Miss American Pie.  Drove the Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry.  Good 'ole boys drinking whiskey and rye . . ."

Until we cruise again. 

GOARMY!

There have been a number of sometimes emotional posts in other threads about optimism vs pessimism. I was reminded of this short video of a speech by Jim Collins, author of “Good to Great.” The book sold over four million copies and went far beyond the traditional audience of business books.

In this video, Collins talks about the “Stockdale Paradox.” While the stress of living in these pandemic times (& in particular losing the privilege of luxury cruising when we want to) doesn’t compare to Stockdale’s experience as a prisoner of war, it does offer potentially helpful thoughts about dealing with the stress of these uncertain times & dialog that promotes reasonable expectations.

Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpgLAuZdutM

• Like 4