Regent Watercooler! Off topic and non-cruise discussion here!

4 minutes ago, diebroke said:

There have been a number of sometimes emotional posts in other threads about optimism vs pessimism. I was reminded of this short video of a speech by Jim Collins, author of “Good to Great.” The book sold over four million copies and went far beyond the traditional audience of business books.

In this video, Collins talks about the “Stockdale Paradox.” While the stress of living in these pandemic times (& in particular losing the privilege of luxury cruising when we want to) doesn’t compare to Stockdale’s experience as a prisoner of war, it does offer potentially helpful thoughts about dealing with the stress of these uncertain times & dialog that promotes reasonable expectations.

Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpgLAuZdutM

Thank you.  This is an excellent, short, thought provoking video.  A great way to frame the concepts about realism, optimism, and pessimism in current times.  I for one do not expect to be among those dying of a broken heart.

• Like 2

@diebroke, thank you.  I was not familiar with the book or video, and I agree it's illuminating.  I had not framed optimism, pessimism or realism in that fashion, but I hear truth in what Admiral Stockdale said, and the concept of resilience.  

I guess I also don't think I'd die of a broken heart, but I always have faith things will work out as they should in the end - whenever and however.  There are things/activities I mightily miss during my continued shelter in place, but not to the point of despair.  So far, anyway.  Then again, my challenges are basically those of a fairly comfortable first world life - hardly challenges at all in many ways.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when Regent will publish cruise itineraries for the second half of 2022?  I need a cruise to plan and fantasize since we’ve had one already cancelled and one we had to cancel. Thanks and I hope yous all have a great weekend. 

Z and TB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Does anyone know when Regent will publish cruise itineraries for the second half of 2022?  I need a cruise to plan and fantasize since we’ve had one already cancelled and one we had to cancel. Thanks and I hope yous all have a great weekend. 

Z and TB

The world cruise will be out in September. Usually it is announced in July, with the rest of the itineraries in August. So could be October for the rest of 2022. Of course, this is not a normal year, so it could be anytime.

I am not a betting person but I am 99 9/10% sure that the WC will be canceled.  By looking at the webinar that does not show any sailings in 2020, reading the news regarding which ports are open to U.S. citizens, the increasing cases in the U.S., there is no way they could go ahead with a WC.

The only way it would sail is if the virus "magically disappears" - most countries reopen and it is determined that it is safe to sail. Given the cases of the virus on two ships that were sailing (as of yesterday - the AIDA ship released passengers), everything looks grim.  And, of course, there is the fact the Crystal has already canceled their WC.  

I feel badly for the people that are booked on the WC.  Hopefully, they will be well and able to do the 2022 WC.  

54 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

And, of course, there is the fact the Crystal has already canceled their WC.  

What is your source for this "information"?  As far as I know, just today they have announced cancellations through the end of 2020, not affecting the world cruise.  Not yet.

Edited by SusieQft

On 7/31/2020 at 1:58 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

Hoping that you two (and the state of Florida) will not receive damage from the hurricane.  Please stay safe!

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hoping that you two (and the state of Florida) will not receive damage from the hurricane.  Please stay safe!

We live in Broward County and only got intermittent rainfall and wind gusts.  Very grateful to have dodged that bullet. On the other hand, Beebop Bonnie and her sister were apprehended for reckless endangerment  for surfing in the storm and resisting arrest. Bonnie was caught with a bottle of Hendricks she took from her last Regent Cruise. 
Damn, I need a cruise. 
Z and TB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

We live in Broward County and only got intermittent rainfall and wind gusts.  Very grateful to have dodged that bullet. On the other hand, Beebop Bonnie and her sister were apprehended for reckless endangerment  for surfing in the storm and resisting arrest. Bonnie was caught with a bottle of Hendricks she took from her last Regent Cruise. 
Damn, I need a cruise. 
Z and TB

Just want everyone to know that I was surfing in an attempt to catch up with Z who was waterskiing behind a boat chasing a Regent ship sighted off our coast.  He had a bit of difficulty staying upright cause of the bottle of rum in his left hand.  Happy and grateful to say that Z's beautiful wife, TB, posted bail for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just received an email from my TA... our next Regent cruise, scheduled for December has had its final payment postponed from August 16th to October 16th (60 days from sailing). How nice...

I realize that it probably won’t sail, however I can now hold off on final payment. 

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

4 hours ago, bebop bonnie said:

Just want everyone to know that I was surfing in an attempt to catch up with Z who was waterskiing behind a boat chasing a Regent ship sighted off our coast.  He had a bit of difficulty staying upright cause of the bottle of rum in his left hand.  Happy and grateful to say that Z's beautiful wife, TB, posted bail for me!

You guys are hysterical.  Think that I need to visit Miami and monitor the situation with the four of you!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking for some at home 'spa' treatments to play with, and found this - have most of this at home, and I bet I can sub grapefruit essential oil for lemon.  Maybe this will put some 'zest' back in my day!

Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Honey Lemon Sugar Scrub

Regent Seven Seas Cruises has introduced a Serene Spa & Wellness™ program that offers a  menu of services reflecting treatments originating from many of the 450 destinations to which the cruise line sails.  These include facial therapies, body treatments, massages, manicures, pedicures, fitness classes, and personal training, plus a series of wellness tours and nutritionally mindful cuisine selections served in restaurants on board. Here is one of Regents Seven Seas Cruise treatments that can be created at home. 

Ingredients: 

2 1/2 cups of sugar 

1/2 cup of sweet almond oil 

4 teaspoons of lemon juice 

4 tablespoons of honey 

4 drops of lemon essential oil 

Directions: To make the Honey Lemon Sugar Scrub, combine sugar and sweet almond oil in a large bowl. Mix well. Add lemon juice and stir thoroughly. Finally, add honey and lemon essential oil and stir. In the shower, apply the mixture in circular motions to gently exfoliate. Rinse to reveal smooth, nourished skin. 

https://www.justluxe.com/fine-living/health/feature-1970364.php

• Like 1

Trying to keep a "glass half full" attitude toward our travel restrictions.  And reminding myself to be grateful and thankful for what we have.  I invite others to share of their "positives" here.

We are "stuck" in Canada.  Right now, that's a wonderful thing--the government, in general, are taking care of business, the populous is for the most part pulling together to keep the virus clamped down.  And the weather is glorious, and we get to spend time at our summer home on the river.

But, we may very well be obliged to spend the winter in Canada.  Quite a different matter--if so, it would be our first northern winter in 9 years.  So I'm collecting positives if that happens.  First big positive is that we will get to see an artist loved by us, Mariza, a very famous fado singer.  She has come to Toronto before, and her concerts are sold out instantly, since we have a large Portuguese diaspora here.  But we had managed to get tickets for last May.  That concert was cancelled because of the pandemic, of course.  It's been re-scheduled for February, with a reduced audience and physical distancing in place, and presumably mask-wearing.  We love here music, so this would be a bonus.  If you're interested, have a look at her music--some of it's on youtube. 

https://www.mariza.com/en

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 11:46 PM, GOARMY said:

Bottom line:  "October Films", a London, England-based Production Company, has completed a series titled "Devil Among Us."  Six "notorious" murders committed in the USA are chronicled.  The above Chugiak investigation will be the lead-off Case.  A two-parter. Airing in the USA will be via Comcast Cable Discovery Channel on a program titled "Investigation Discovery (ID)"   

Hello "Jim"/GOARMY,

What a twisting, convoluted tale!  After reading your note, I had set my DVR to record this episode over the weekend.  I hadn't realized the intensive investigative work that the Postal Inspectors do, and appreciate that you and all of your team were able to bring this case to a close - twice!  Thank you so much for sharing your good work with your fellow Regent travelers.

ChicagoHen: 

Appreciated your feedback as to "Devil".  There is a possibility that London production company will do a similar treatment on another Alaska investigation in which I participated.  That was in the mid-1990s and involved the murder of a Postmaster during a botched robbery  of a Post Office in a remote section of Alaska; and subsequent arrest of the killer a few weeks later after he robbed another Post Office near Fairbanks, AK.  Unfortunately, due to COVID-19--it may be late 2021 or into early 2022 before that Project has any chance of moving forward.

Take care, all, and Mask Up!

GOARMY!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been obsessed with virus statistics since February when the best site available was a Chinese government site only available in Chinese.  I moved over to the worldometer site by the end of February as it was in English and split out Chinese data separately for Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan; and, of course, had the rest of the world as the virus spread.  I looked at the Johns Hopkins site as it became the "bible" but have stayed with the worldometer site as you can slice and dice the data and it has links to all of its sources (which I have found fascinating).

So, I have been checking these statistics (I won't call them data as there are just a conglomeration of reported data) closely for seven months.  In late June, when cases here in Texas were spiking, I came up with my personal measurements on when I would think that the USA had a handle on this and was heading in the right direction.  There were two separate statistics that both had to reach a certain level to make me feel that we had reached that state.  Today, for the first time, both of my favored statistics reached the necessary levels so I am celebrating with a nice dram of Highland Park 18 year old whisky.  I won't state my statistics (and open myself to ridicule) as each of us need to have our own "happy place."  I am in mine tonight.

Many thanks to the Scots for providing such enjoyment.

Marc

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Less gloomy posts on this thread, okay?

Here's one--what pursuits, hobbies, pastimes have you taken up or renewed in the last six months?

I spent about 6 weeks at the cottage this summer, and have become an avid mushroom hunter.  My son and I share this passion.  I was always too nervous about eating wild mushrooms in the past, but knowledge is power, and I've now eaten six different species.  And taken a lot of photographs of fungi, and am learning so much about this huge kingdom.

I also dabble in watercolour painting, but I'm terrible at it, and admit to being in denial (that river in Egypt?) about hunkering down and doing it.

As with most of us as well, I've been reading a huge amount, although not as much as my husband.  Non-fiction, literary fiction, mysteries, scifi, everything--the ebook revolution of the public libraries has really revolutionized our ability to find books.

We also listen to a lot of music.  At the cottage, a lot of country, bluegrass and roots music on a local "country" FM station, or our fairly good collection on my ipod.  Listening to Marvin Gaye right now.

• Like 1

Thanks Wendy for sharing your hobbies.  I should be so happy to have the opportunity to be writing all day!  Not to be.  The sheer feeling of relaxation thwarts all my need to sit down and write.  Also, DH decided we need a "pandemic puppy" to keep us happy by being caring and nurturing a baby.  What he didn't bargain for is that the lovable rascal would also keep us exhausted!  Now that I will not be going to the gym (although recently opened, I decided against any unnecessary exposure), our puppy makes me run around the neighborhood and keeps me exercised...unfortunately, DH does not join us in these adventures... DH and I both work out around 40 minutes in the treadmill after dinner, after which we fantasize our butler brings us a Glenlivet or better as a reward.  We actually do have a "scotch repas" after exercise, and watch Netflix series or movies.  Right now we are watching, in Spanish, Money Heist, which you can watch in English and is quite entertaining.

My gym reopened, but my doctor advised against the exposure for now.  My area has been blessed with pretty nice weather and I've been walking through a lot of the local state forest preserves - a resource I never spent enough time exploring. Also improving my culinary skills a bit.  Thanks to my local library, I've started just 'picking a book, any book' and exploring new authors/genres.  And, no doubt for nostalgic reasons, started binging on old TV shows (thanks, NBC.com!).  This week it's been the Equalizer - I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoyed Edward Woodward and the rest of the cast.

@Camillus112 , my internist is very fond of 'prescribing' a dog to many of his patients.  He finds it promotes exercise and socialization, as well as so many other good results.  I wish you many years of happiness with your pup.  I just have a senior kitty but she tries to ensure I'm up and at it every day; Lord forbid her breakfast isn't served at 5:00 am!

We've been dog-less for quite a few years and probably will remain so.  Didn't seem fair when we wanted to travel so much, and then we bought a place in Florida where they're not allowed. And now I can't imagine the three-times daily walks, especially if we're stuck here in Canada for the winter.  Lost what I called my "last" cat two years ago, and although I do miss having a furry one to love, I'm content.  Very jealous of all the people with puppies and kittens, however.

@Wendy The Wanderer, I think it's great you put the needs of a dog or cat first, though.  That's very generous of you.  And, yes, on really cold Chicago days I'm happy to just be scooping litter boxes, not out walking the dogs like many of neighbors, even if it is great exercise! LOL

I will say that having a pet does tend to weigh in heavily on my travel plans, though.  I know I wouldn't do any long trips now, even if it were safe, as my girl cat is 17 1/2 and has renal issues.   Of course, COVID makes that an easy decision now.  

• Like 2