Regent Watercooler! Off topic and non-cruise discussion here!

9 hours ago, SusieQft said:

You are very lucky.  That is not the case in many cities across the US, where the activities in the streets would much more accurately be described as "riots" than "peaceful

The first night in Atlanta was chaotic, but since then, it has been peaceful.  I participated in a march and wore a mask and kept my distance.   Many families with kids attended and the police cleared the streets of traffic.   This picture I think accurately portrays how calm the policing was during the march.  

F8389B40-407A-4B5D-80AB-69051EB86F10.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/4/2020 at 3:54 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Bill:  welcome home to your daughter and glad she is back safe and sound. is she going to be a lifer like her pop?  I don’t miss the deployments, but miss the camaraderie.  
Z and TB

Z, thanks!  Sorry for the delayed response, it’s still kind of busy here, which is good, I think.

I'm not sure what my daughter’s long-term plans are but a military career wouldn’t surprise me.  She loves her career as a critical care nurse but I think after a deployment like this it might be a bit of a challenge to slip back into civilian life.  We’ll see what she chooses, but she’s an adult and a pretty sharp cookie so I’m sure she’ll do well with whatever she chooses to do.

• Like 1

This goes back to the posts abbot vaccines on page 6 above. I got the polio vaccine as a boy as soon as it was available, and it was an injection. Then in the early 60s the “sugar cube” method came out, and even those who had the shot years earlier were advised to take the sugar cube. I was in college at that time, and I remember the sugar cube being offered at public schools for $2, and recall that I got one. 

8 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

This goes back to the posts abbot vaccines on page 6 above. I got the polio vaccine as a boy as soon as it was available, and it was an injection. Then in the early 60s the “sugar cube” method came out, and even those who had the shot years earlier were advised to take the sugar cube. I was in college at that time, and I remember the sugar cube being offered at public schools for $2, and recall that I got one. 

Just heard a documentary piece on polio on CBC radio the other day, and it was quite poignant.  We of that age all have memories, to some extent, of the fear there was at that time.  Keeping us out of swimming pools, mothers taking kids to the country in the summer to escape the heat of the city, hearing about children dying, crippled, in iron lungs. And I'm sure most of us have known adult survivors and their health problems later in life.  And those shots, oh yes, I remember that.  Not sure we ever got a sugar pill.  Someone here on CC pointed out that the main reason the Sabin vaccine replaced the Salk was that it was cheaper, and didn't use live virus.  And of course, that sugar cube was easier for kids than the shot.

On a more cheerful subject, what is everybody doing while isolated?  No offices, no restaurants, no bars, shopping adventures.  Nothing but bulk trips to pick up the groceries and booze.  (I'm aware that many of you are still working, some very hard, btw.)

Since we got home in March, I started practicing the piano a bit (just old exercises, about grade 3 level but good for my wrists and my brain--I took lessons for 6 or 7 years when I was a kid.)  I've been dabbling in watercolor, and I do mean dabbling, ha ha; I'm pretty terrible.  And I'm deep into genealogy again--I did AncestryDNA some time back, and I've been exploring genetic matches to flesh out some missing links, so to speak, and extend my lineage back as far as I can (about 1600 in France, is the earliest so far.)

We have gone through almost every piece of music that we have, many favourites multiple times.  We are old-fashioned, so have lots of CD's, but when we travel to our other homes, we depend on my Ipod to carry our music around.  I discovered lots of ones that I hadn't digitized (ripped), so I sorted the whole collection alphabetically, and have been adding the missing ones to Itunes.  Our music tastes are eclectic, dominated by bluegrass and country perhaps, but a fair amount of classical, lots folk and 60's and 70's classics, world music of various kinds.  We were due in May to see Mariza, the wonderful fado singer from Portugal, and the gig got cancelled, of course.  So we listen to her a lot--I kick myself that we didn't see a fado performance during our visits to Portugal, so I guess we have to go back.

What tunes are you playing these days, and have you unearthed any long-lost hobbies?

Not exactly a hobby , but my band starts rehearsals Thursday for a July 4th gig.

I semi retired from playing out after our New Years Eve show and the band has been dormant since then.

Time to get the cobwebs out and get back on stage, after a long layoff it should be interesting. Most people don’t realize it but this is a physically demanding activity requiring moving hundreds of pounds of equipment and then standing for 3 or 4 hours with a guitar hanging around your neck.

Takes some effort when you are 69.

BTW, this is blues/rock, southern rock.

• Like 1

Wendy,

Here in Durango CO, the restaurants are allowed to open for dining in, provided that they  set up for 6' distancing. One must wear a mask when not seated. Not all restaurants are open, as some are so small they cannot operate with the distancing, but some are, at least. And many restaurants also have outdoor seating, which is nice this time of year. Further, the city is considering allowing restaurant seating on sidewalks and into the street on Main Avenue, where most are located. Problem is, this will cut down on street parking spaces which, like in all mountain towns, is a bit scarce already. And since most people in our market area live outside city limits and no bus transport and no "park and ride" lots exist and cabs and Uber are scarce, I don't know how that will work out.They are also working to get our scenic steam train going again at 50% passenger capacity in the cars, perhaps by the end of June. Retail stores for things like clothing are open if they have a door to the outside. So stores in malls are still closed, except for those that have such a door. The city and county are working on getting that rule lifted by the end of this month. Masks are required in all outdoor areas in the city where 6' distancing cannot be maintained, and in all retail stores. As we live about 3 miles out of the city in the mountains, we are free to go about with no masks, which is probably medically OK, as there is no density here. 

The rules and regulations here are a bit of "mish-mash" as they are everywhere, because governments and health authorities were just not prepared for this -- nor could they have been. And of course (as all here might suspect) the idea of us going through airports and getting on a commercial flight is simply out of the question at this time. Only Southwest is promising to reduce the number of passengers on their planes and it does not serve us. So we will be in SW CO for the duration..

Edited by Dolebludger

Tubeamps,

Saw your post just above, and I know what you mean. Playing gigs is major work!  I assume you play electric guitar, as I do, but I don't gig anymore due to old age (and perhaps lack of talent). And I assume by your screen name that you insist on all tube amps, as I do. And just in case the opportunity ever arises, I have rid myself of a couple of 2X12 100 lb combo amps (Mesa and Carvin) and now use mainly a Soul Tramp head and a couple of 1X12 cabs where noting weighs more than 35 lbs. 

And what's your genre of music?  Of course,I play classic rock, blues, a bit of pop and early 80s metal. But in recent years I have gravitated toward slow, smooth jazz, like from the 40s. It seems to fit me better as I AM from the 40s! 

In any event, I would like to see a post from you, because we clearly have two loves in common -- cruising and electric guitar.

• Like 1

Hi Dolebludger,

Im mostly a blues/rock guy, and yes I insist on using a good tube amp. Sold the 4x12s and 2x12s years ago. Now I use a head and 1x12 cab made of lightweight pine (Bob Burt Custom Cabs).

The heads can be a bit heavy, mine run from 38 to 45lbs (Komet Constellation, Louis Electric KR 12, Bluetron Bluedrive) all of which sound great, but my main head these days is 6 1/2 lbs, all tube, the Khan Pak amp, 18 watts.

I also own a pristine 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb, almost showroom condition, incredible sound but it doesn't leave the house.

Ive recently gone into a lot of acoustic these days . I figured my gigging days are closing and wanted a nice acoustic to play at home. Picked up a Boucher OM (Canadian builder) and have enjoyed relearning a lot of Beatles tunes and others from the 60s.

Guitar has been a life long passion and even though Ive played since I was fifteen I was never able to do the band thing until I retired from the real world (corporate taxes) because as you know bands take time, work and commitment. 

BTW, I retired at 53 so Ive had a good long run with music to fill the time.

I used to tell people that when you get on stage its an adrenalin rush and you almost feel like you are 25 again, except you play better than you did at 25.

and yes love cruising, really hate missing the Barcelona to Dubai itinerary in November.

• Like 1

I feel like a new person!  Regular dentist check up & cleaning on Monday and hair cut today. as we entered a new phase June 1.  Both places were following all CDC and other professional guidelines, and I felt  very comfortable at both places.  I admit I wondered how getting a cut while wearing a mask was going to work, but ended up not even noticing.  Both are large practices, so every other exam spot/stylist seat was kept empty.  I did miss the water/tea/coffee usually offered, but not a big deal.  Both places took my temperature but easy peasy.

We're basically opening restaurants up to outdoor seating/take out - with physical distancing. Tables are on sidewalks and in the street where it's possible to divert traffic.  Vet was still curbside service, but they're offering check ups and routine dentals/bloodwork now.  I honestly may miss the light traffic once things really get rolling again, as well as the senior hours at Trader Joe LOL.  Gyms and health clubs are open, I believe, for individual appointments or small group classes outside.  It'll be interesting to see how all that reopens.  

tubeamps, 

Thanks for the response. and I'd like to get some more info on the Kahn Pak 18W amp that weighs only 6.5 lbs. and is all tube. Perhaps there is a link you could post? One of the last gigs I did was a benefit-type thing (got paid nothing) with other players I had just met. Even though it was an outdoor gig and I was using a Bugera V22 on the 13W setting at the time, I could cut through the bass and drum that were way too loud! That was about ten years ago, when I was a kid at age 66!  I have found that one doesn't need a lot of wattage unless playing in an arena, which I will never have the chance to do. It is kind of fun for me to play for free. If somebody complains about the music, I can just say "you are getting what you paid for".

I retired at age 50 and am now 76. I'll probably never gig again, though it was my part time paying job when I was in college and law school back in the 60s. But if the opportunity should ever arise (and I keep looking for it)  I designed our home here in Durango CO to have a door from the music room directly out to the garage where we keep our SUV for easy loading. You never know.

We like to cruise also. I have lost count of the ones we've taken on Regent and just a few other lines. Even with pandemic issues, I'd take a Regent cruise tomorrow if we didn't have to go through airports and fly commercial air. My doc says avoid crowds. There aren't any on Regent. But friends who have flown in the last few days tell me that airports and the planes are getting crowded again. So, I guess that I'll just hang around SW CO and play my guitars for a while.

Edited by Dolebludger

Dolebludger,

agree you don’t need a lot of power in most cases. I only bring out the heavy stuff for outdoor gigs where you can open the throttle.

Most of my club gigs have house sound and I usually have a mic on the cab so low power works well.

Im sort of a purist, just guitar and amp, no pedals. 

Google Khan Pak amp, 2 models single channel runs $900, 2 channel is $1200. Its an amazing piece of engineering considering the size.

I like your idea on the music room. Unfortunately mine is on the second floor.

4 hours ago, tubeamps said:

Not exactly a hobby , but my band starts rehearsals Thursday for a July 4th gig.

I semi retired from playing out after our New Years Eve show and the band has been dormant since then.

Time to get the cobwebs out and get back on stage, after a long layoff it should be interesting. Most people don’t realize it but this is a physically demanding activity requiring moving hundreds of pounds of equipment and then standing for 3 or 4 hours with a guitar hanging around your neck.

Takes some effort when you are 69.

BTW, this is blues/rock, southern rock.

Oh boy, I sure wish I could go to your gig.  More than anything, we both miss live music gigs,, both here in Toronto and in Florida.  Mostly local bands, mostly in small bars that will have great difficulty with distancing when they are allowed to re-open.  Even if they are able to open on a limited basis, room for bands is going to be tough.  The city does have a plan coming for the summer, with street closures and patios expanded out onto the street, almost like our usual many summer street festivals.  So we will see how that goes--we'll be there for the first gig we can go to!

Have fun with this!  Southern rock sounds good!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Someone here on CC pointed out that the main reason the Sabin vaccine replaced the Salk was that it was cheaper, and didn't use live virus.

Actually, the Salk vaccine was with killed virus, and the Sabin vaccine was with live but attenuated virus.  There was just one batch of the Salk vaccine that did not adequately kill the virus, but the "live" virus in that batch was unintentional and tragic.  

• Like 1

I know no more about the early polio vaccines beyond what I have already posted. And that is in the early 60s public health officials advised all (including those how had the earlier shot) to take the sugar cube. I recall it well. 

a bunch of us fraternity brothers were in my car bound for a bar to drink some beers (which were 35 cents then) and went by a school with a sign about the cubes being available there. Ansd we debated about whether to buy beer or be safe from from polio. Even a bunch of Frat Rats made the right decision.

Tubeamps,

If there is a tone you want that you aren't getting from the amps you have I recommend you google up Soul Tramp Amps,  and speak with Don Hills. He is the builder.and very popular on the My Les Paul forum. A few years ago I did just that and told Don about the tone I wanted over the phone and he nailed it! And if he doesn't, he will revoice the amp, but I'll bet he will get it on the first try. As difficult as it is to describe a tone in words, Don seems to understand. And I will check out the amp you posted about too.

2 hours ago, forgap said:

@tubeamps @Dolebludger  I think a terrific Regent activity would be to gig with the band.....who knows how many former and current rockers sail!  Some Regent activities are a real snooze fest.....let’s go from rocking in rockers to rocking out with rockers! 

I am up for it. But it might be a comedy show!  And how do we get the gear to the ship? Airlines do not treat guitars well, as every player knows. And I fear they are no better with tube amps. And shipping via FedEx and UPS has gone to Hades around here, so I don't think any player would trust them either. If somebody can get my beloved gear safely to the ship and back home, I'd be happy to do my best for my fellow Regent cruisers, 

Edited by Dolebludger

Thanks for the tip on Soul Tramp, I’m pretty happy with my lineup. My amps need to be able to from clean to mean with just the use of the volume on your guitar. Sounds simple, but difficult to achieve while keeping the output constant.

But I’m an amp slut so I’ll check them out.

TrulyBlonde, our current set list includes One Way Out, Southbound,Whipping Post.

we used to do Midnight Rider and Blackhearted Woman but haven’t played those in awhile.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tubeamps said:

Thanks for the tip on Soul Tramp, I’m pretty happy with my lineup. My amps need to be able to from clean to mean with just the use of the volume on your guitar. Sounds simple, but difficult to achieve while keeping the output constant.

But I’m an amp slut so I’ll check them out.

TrulyBlonde, our current set list includes One Way Out, Southbound,Whipping Post.

we used to do Midnight Rider and Blackhearted Woman but haven’t played those in awhile.

The late drummers wife is one of my best friends. You need to add some "Sweet Melissa".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

And how do we get the gear to the ship?

Perhaps an “unplugged” set a la Eric Clapton.....I bet there are acoustic guitars on the ship that can be loaned out.  I know, it’s like cheating on your wife....

48 minutes ago, forgap said:

Perhaps an “unplugged” set a la Eric Clapton.....I bet there are acoustic guitars on the ship that can be loaned out.  I know, it’s like cheating on your wife....

the thing is most musicians recoil at letting a stranger play their instrument. 
I wouldn’t like to be asked , but it’s a nice idea. Sometimes it works well.

Clapton is a particular favorite of mine, has been since the BluesBreaker days.