Cruising without a passport

So I applied for and got my passport March 19th, the next day they stopped issuing passports. My passport is wrong as it listed the wrong state of birth for me. Since I can't get this fixed and don't know if I will be able to prior to my August 29th cruise, what do I need to take with me instead? I've read I will need my birth certificate but since I changed my name when I got married do I also need my marriage license?

19 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

So I applied for and got my passport March 19th, the next day they stopped issuing passports. My passport is wrong as it listed the wrong state of birth for me. Since I can't get this fixed and don't know if I will be able to prior to my August 29th cruise, what do I need to take with me instead? I've read I will need my birth certificate but since I changed my name when I got married do I also need my marriage license?

Yes, bring your birth cert and marriage license and your driver's license. I believe that should cover you.  Also when you do online check on, make sure you indicate what form of id's you are using.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

Where are you cruising?  Be aware that the ship may not let you board without a passport in your possession.  If you have to leave the ship in another country, you can't fly back to the US without a valid passport.

5 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Be aware that the ship may not let you board without a passport in your possession.

not necessary, but as others have said if you have to fly back, could be problematic 

How would they know the state was wrong on your passport?

And it’s a little scary, that those doing passports, can’t read the Birth Certificate. Hmmmmmm

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

I thought the same but the last thing I would want is to miss my cruise because I thought it wouldn't cause a problem.

Seriously, they had my Ohio birth certificate in hand and put Arizona, guessing they screwed it up because I live in Arizona now.

If I were you, I'd just present the current passport.  I can't imagine that the fact that the wrong state of birth is listed will be a problem.  As crzndeb said, how would they even know? ...Generally speaking, a passport is a better travel document and more universally accepted....I think if you don't say anything, no one will ever know there is a mistake...

I'm not saying you shouldn't mention the error to the state department, but I'd wait until after you travel and after the passport offices reopen.  (Again I'm not advising you never fix the error, but I once knew someone who was a foreign born US citizen and he had the wrong birth date on his passport.  He just used the birth date listed on the passport as if it were correct and never had a problem.  Something to do with date of baptism vs. date of birth on one of the foreign language forms caused the error, I think.)

Edited by tqc_cruiser
  • Like 2

If it were me, I would send the passport back as soon as possible.  Knowing the government, if you wait, they may charge you the whole fee all over again.  It's their mistake and they should correct it for free if you do it right away.

You have almost three months before your cruise.  Hopefully things will be back to normal by then and you'll have your passport corrected and back in your hands.  If not, your birth certificate and marriage license will work in a pinch.

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

If it were me, I would send the passport back as soon as possible.  Knowing the government, if you wait, they may charge you the whole fee all over again.  It's their mistake and they should correct it for free if you do it right away.

You have almost three months before your cruise.  Hopefully things will be back to normal by then and you'll have your passport corrected and back in your hands.  If not, your birth certificate and marriage license will work in a pinch.

I would second this. When we applied for passports I misspelled DW's middle name (still haven't heard the end of that), her middle name is Anne and I omitted the "e". They fixed it with no additional charge and it took less than a month. 

5 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

If they send their passport back in, I don't have any faith that they will get it returned before their cruise. I sent mine in mid-march and they have had it on March 19th. Haven't gotten anything back, still listed as in progress, and they are still quoting 6-8 weeks for processing time. Even if they get back and running in the next month or so, I would assume that backlogged passports like mine would get handled first.

18 hours ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

I have a travel companion in the same boat as you and she plans to bring her birth certificate and other documents in case she doesn't get her passport. We sail on August 22nd.  Keep us updated! 🤞

22 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

If they send their passport back in, I don't have any faith that they will get it returned before their cruise. I sent mine in mid-march and they have had it on March 19th. Haven't gotten anything back, still listed as in progress, and they are still quoting 6-8 weeks for processing time. Even if they get back and running in the next month or so, I would assume that backlogged passports like mine would get handled first.

As I said  in the other post, if there is an error, it should be corrected right away as it was their mistake.  If you wait, they may charge you for a completely new passport.  That and the fact that you don't need a passport to cruise.  Only to fly back into the US and there is a very slim chance that that will happen.

I'm hoping that they start processing them again and that I can get an expedited corrected replacement as this is not on me.

I'm thinking of they aren't open I will take everything. I'll try to use my passport but if somehow someone notices the year than I will have my birth certificate and marriage license available.

Another question, As long as my name on the passport matches the name on my driver's license exactly and is not expired, it's not going to matter that I no longer live in Ohio is it? I had wanted to get my Arizona Real ID the same day that I applied for the passport but the post office gave me incorrect information and I did not have a 2nd birth certificate, then the Covid mess happened.

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

As I said  in the other post, if there is an error, it should be corrected right away as it was their mistake.  If you wait, they may charge you for a completely new passport.  That and the fact that you don't need a passport to cruise.  Only to fly back into the US and there is a very slim chance that that will happen.

Here's what the State Department website says regarding corrections:

A passport issued with a data error (e.g., name, sex, or place of birth) or printing error (e.g., data is missing on the biographical page, discoloration, crooked printing, etc.) can be corrected at no charge if the passport is still valid.

To correct a data or printing error:
  • Complete Form DS-5504.
  • Submit form by mail with your passport, one color photo, and evidence of the error (e.g. your U.S. birth certificate showing the correct spelling of your last name).
  • You will not have to submit any fees.
The validity of the new, corrected passport depends on when you report the error.

If... Then...
Reported within one year of issue date The new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date it is issued.

Reported after one year of issue date

The new passport will be valid until the expiration of the original, incorrect passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

I'm hoping that they start processing them again and that I can get an expedited corrected replacement as this is not on me.

I'm thinking of they aren't open I will take everything. I'll try to use my passport but if somehow someone notices the year than I will have my birth certificate and marriage license available.

Another question, As long as my name on the passport matches the name on my driver's license exactly and is not expired, it's not going to matter that I no longer live in Ohio is it? I had wanted to get my Arizona Real ID the same day that I applied for the passport but the post office gave me incorrect information and I did not have a 2nd birth certificate, then the Covid mess happened.

As long as the name on your passport matches your booking that is sufficient, there is no need to show the DL (although many people use the DL in port as their ID to return to the port area).

My passport renewal application was received on March 2. I have not received my new passport yet. It shows "Being Processed" on their website. Maybe with more and more offices opening up, they will send it to me before my October 3rd cruise. Heck, I can't even renew my license plate on my car, as the County Clerk's office is still closed.

5 hours ago, tybrkr17 said:

I have a travel companion in the same boat as you and she plans to bring her birth certificate and other documents in case she doesn't get her passport. We sail on August 22nd.  Keep us updated! 🤞

We are sailing 8/22 on the Horizon as well.  My older son's passport expires on 8/11.  He is 15.When we went to the post office in early April, we were advised not to send it in for processing as they are only fulfilling emergency passport requests,  I keep checking the website and it still urges not to send in your documents at this time.  We have had passports for the boys since they were infants and have never sailed without them, but I guess we will take the chance this time if we are able to sail and the passport agency does not get back to normal.

15 minutes ago, bambilin said:

We are sailing 8/22 on the Horizon as well.  My older son's passport expires on 8/11.  He is 15.When we went to the post office in early April, we were advised not to send it in for processing as they are only fulfilling emergency passport requests,  I keep checking the website and it still urges not to send in your documents at this time.  We have had passports for the boys since they were infants and have never sailed without them, but I guess we will take the chance this time if we are able to sail and the passport agency does not get back to normal.

Carnival's site says if your son is under 16, he needs a birth certificate for cruises that begin and end in a US port.  If he will be 16 or older he needs one of these:

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only 

I have always brought my children's passports even when they were expired.  Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much. I know he can travel with the birth certificate but I always prefer to have the passport. He also has a valid global entry card. We will definitely carry the expired one with is just in case!

Edited by bambilin
  • Like 1

Here is our situation.  Let me know your thoughts.

DD was married in September of 2019.  She has a new drivers license with her married name.  She has her marriage certificate.  Her passport has expired and now they aren't processing them.  She will have her birth certificate and an expired passport in her maiden name.  We sail for their anniversary cruise in early September.   Will she be ok with 2 pieces in one name and 2 pieces in another name? Birth certificate and expired passport in maiden name and driver's license and marriage certificate in married name.  Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, junglecat said:

DD was married in September of 2019.  She has a new drivers license with her married name.  She has her marriage certificate.  Her passport has expired and now they aren't processing them.  She will have her birth certificate and an expired passport in her maiden name.  We sail for their anniversary cruise in early September.   Will she be ok with 2 pieces in one name and 2 pieces in another name? Birth certificate and expired passport in maiden name and driver's license and marriage certificate in married name.  Thoughts?

I would bring all of it.  Is the boarding pass in her married name? If so, I would think the marriage cert would show the change of name from the birth cert and the driver's license is govt approved ID with her married name, which hopefully is the name on the boarding pass. Are you flying to the port? If so, make sure her driver's license qualifies as ID to get on the plane.  If for some reason she would need to fly home from a foreign port, the expired passport might help at the embassy.

This is what I would do, but I hope others would chime in with more info.  

Have a wonderful cruise!

10 hours ago, junglecat said:

She can’t use an expired passport to board the cruise. She can use a current drivers license with a birth certificate and marriage license to bridge the name change. It wouldn’t hurt to bring the expired passport and may help get an expedited replacement if you needed to fly home. But I don’t think anyone will accept it as is as a boarding document so wouldn’t even show on ship.

17 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

that’s fine. I was just adding my experience to suggest that there’s a good chance that even with 3 months left they song get their passport back in time for their cruise. So they would have to choose between sending it back to get it fixed to avoid fees or keeping it for this cruise and then sending it back. It does appear from another post that there won’t be a fee either way.

17 hours ago, bambilin said:

Thanks so much. I know he can travel with the birth certificate but I always prefer to have the passport. He also has a valid global entry card. We will definitely carry the expired one with is just in case!

If it gets to be close to sailing and the passports still aren't figured out, you can always try to make an appointment at the Passport Agency in Philadelphia which will do same-day issuance.  You might have to take a day off work and it's a bit of a hassle to come all the way down here, but it's an option to consider, the agency in Philly is still open and taking appointments if you are within a week of travel.

I wouldn't travel internationally without a passport, nor would I take my kids out of the country without one, so I completely understand your dilemma!  I'm lucky in that the agency is only about 20 minutes from me, so it's not as big a deal for me to get there.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/philadelphia.html

Edited by Jobeth66