Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

My apologies.

Nevertheless it takes 120 days or more for most people to get their refunds - official policy or not.

Hi Paul,

Money back on 118 days Happy to get it after all this time ,if there comes a time in the future that I am able to book a cruise again I will try to wait until the last minute to book and pay .

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone.

Crystal’s refund indebtedness to me has now reached 132 days, but there’s always “hope”.

At least, that’s what the Crystal reservation department recently told my travel agent when she asked when I might expect to receive my refund.  “I hope we can get up to date soon on these refunds soon,” was the reply from Crystal’s reservation support department.

In the spirit of Crystal’s message of “hope”, I have developed a number of other “hope” key messages that Crystal management can use in response to other types of questions as follows:

Q: Is it safe to cruise in the Strait of Hormuz given political tensions in the region?

A: We hope your ship doesn’t get attacked and sunk.

Q: What is your plan should the ship have an outbreak of COVID-19 on board?

A: We hope you like cruises with lots of days at sea.

Q: Do you have adequate food storage and handling protocols in place on the ships?

A: We hope you don’t spend too much time vomiting in the bathroom.

Q: How well equipped is the medical facility on board ship?

A: We hope you don’t need to find out.

As I said, with Crystal there is always "hope"!

Edited by commodoredave

You certainly can apply a pending refund to a future booking.  Crystal would love that.  But keep in mind that if you do, and eventually that booking is cancelled for any reason, you could be back in line for a refund.  And this could all be long after it is too late to dispute on your credit card.  Just another factor to keep in mind.

I applied part of my refund for April/May to a booking in January.  Now I have cancelled the January booking and as a result, I added an extra 130+ days to the  time line for that part of my refund.  Fortunately, I will still have the option to dispute it on my Citi Visa card for at least a few more months.  From what I hear here, it would already be too late if I had used Chase.

The Chase  rep told me they allow 536 days after the payment to lodge a dispute. 

I never entered my info on this thread, but I wanted to remark that today is day 90 for me. When I first requested a refund I actually thought that I would have it back by now!!🙄😆😷

Patty

1 hour ago, Benita said:

The Chase  rep told me they allow 536 days after the payment to lodge a dispute. 

That is less than 18 months.  Often too short if booked well in advance, then cancelled, especially if you wait 90-120 days before filing.  I will hit 536 days for the deposit 74 days after requesting my refund.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

That is less than 18 months.  Often too short if booked well in advance, then cancelled, especially if you wait 90-120 days before filing.  I will hit 536 days for the deposit 74 days after requesting my refund.

That is why I am through with booking early. I am open to most cabin types and will take my chances on a cruise being sold out. If the time would run out while waiting for a refund, I would put in a dispute before that time. Just because Crystal asked for 90 +days, does not mean you have to give it to them.

Edited by Benita
Typo

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

You certainly can apply a pending refund to a future booking.  Crystal would love that.  But keep in mind that if you do, and eventually that booking is cancelled for any reason, you could be back in line for a refund.  And this could all be long after it is too late to dispute on your credit card.  Just another factor to keep in mind.

I applied part of my refund for April/May to a booking in January.  Now I have cancelled the January booking and as a result, I added an extra 130+ days to the  time line for that part of my refund.  Fortunately, I will still have the option to dispute it on my Citi Visa card for at least a few more months.  From what I hear here, it would already be too late if I had used Chase.

I booked the 2021 full World Cruise on March 1, 2019, using my AMEX card.  I cancelled well before the deadline for the balance due date.  I've been trying to get my large deposit back from Crystal and finally contacted AMEX last month.  They immediately started processing it as a disputed charge, even though it is well over a year since I made the charge.  I suspect I will now hear from Crystal.  Nice service from AMEX.

My credit card says it has posted a permanent credit to my account and the dispute with Crystal has been closed.   138 days from cancellation.    Sadly, I think it really did take intervention through my credit card for this result.  Thank you for everyones tracking information, made this a bit easier to know you aren't the only one waiting.

5 hours ago, brlight said:

Nice service from AMEX.

I have has great results disputing other, smaller, charges with Amex in the past.  I agree they do a great job with it, and my future cruises will be booked with the Amex card!  When I booked my recently cancelled cruises, I did not have an Amex card that could beat the 3% cash back on my Costco card.  Now I do.  Of course, now I will have to pay that 3% back on my Costco card, whether I dispute it or not.  But the same would be true for points on my Amex.

Not that it is the greatest source of cruise news but USATODAY has an article about potential cruise refund regulations:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/29/cruise-refund-challenges-abound-fmc-report-recommends-changes/5528121002/

There have been several articles there recently about people having trouble getting refunds from cruises.  Also, on the site is an interesting article about various lines getting rid of ships.

Raptordash,

Yes, that is correct.  On Chase Sapphire Reserve card I did get a final payment refund this July for a October 2019 charge.  Not sure why you did not get refund for October 2019 payment.  I had all the documentation for both Crystal cancelled the cruise email and my payment on Chase statement..

Santonio,

Thanks for the reply.  I have asked for a manager at Chase to call me regarding this.

Marc

I want to thank those people who suggested that we file a claim with our credit card company. Every time we spoke with Crystal, all we got was excuses and delays. Within three days of filing our dispute with Capital One, we received our money. Thank you.

Today is Day 133 of waiting for Crystal to pay me back my cruise deposit. It kind of feels like what happens to me when I lend money to my adult children. They keep promising to pay it back by a certain date, but never do. And when they finally do pay it back, it’s less that what I lent them (maybe it’s an administration fee), and they don’t pay any interest on it.  Maybe my kids can get a job at Crystal because it sounds like they have the same innovative approach to finance and payments.

So I’m wondering if this innovation can be applied in both directions. For example, if I book a future cruise with Crystal, would it be okay with them if I paid the final balance 90 days or more after it is due, and applied an administration fee to my payment?  Everyone who thinks this would be cool please raise your hand.

Several days ago my TA tried another approach to obtaining my refund after she had again been told to be patient a little longer. She first surveyed several other TA’s In her company about their experience with Crystal refunds. After finding their experiences were consistent with her own she contacted her General Manager, who then tried connecting with his main contact at Crystal. After 3 days of no response he got the reply that my refund was initiated on July 25th (coincidental??), and should appear in my CC account in a few days. I will report back when/if the refund appears.

I disputed the 2 Crystal charges, 2018 and 2019, for the same cruise with Citi on July 13. Citi immediately put a conditional credit on our account for both charges, pending investigation.  

On July 27, Citi made 2019 charge a permanent credit.  The 2018 charge is still conditional, pending investigation. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:28 AM, ak1004 said:

@commodoredave we actually contacted Crystal by email and asked them to confirm that our refund is pending, including the amount and the last 4 digits of the credit card. Which they did. We printed the email along with the booking confirmation and sent it to CIBC Visa couple days ago. We are now on day 120. Enough is enough.

But your post game me an idea. We are now considering booking 2023 World cruise, paying in full and requesting to allocate some of our payment for our refund. Would it be fair?

Cool Cruiser, could I ask you to clarify which credit card you are referring to -- is it the one you used to book the cruise? Thanks 

- CD

We were booked on the October 29th Cruise out of MIA.  As many of you know, it has been cancelled.  After reading this roll call, I am leaning towards filing a dispute with my credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) for the deposit.  It is only $200 so we are not breaking the bank.  We had a spring cruise with Regent that was cancelled as well and got back our full payment in 56 days.  It looks like Crystal is not stepping up to their obligations like Regent did.  What are your opinions about how to proceed?   Thanks for your help.  

2 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Cool Cruiser, could I ask you to clarify which credit card you are referring to -- is it the one you used to book the cruise? Thanks 

- CD

Yes. CIBC visa wanted to see this info probably to make sure we did not the refund by check or some other method. Silly I know.. but this is what they wanted so we got confirmation from Crystal.

2 hours ago, forgap said:

We were booked on the October 29th Cruise out of MIA.  As many of you know, it has been cancelled.  After reading this roll call, I am leaning towards filing a dispute with my credit card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) for the deposit.  It is only $200 so we are not breaking the bank.  We had a spring cruise with Regent that was cancelled as well and got back our full payment in 56 days.  It looks like Crystal is not stepping up to their obligations like Regent did.  What are your opinions about how to proceed?   Thanks for your help.  

We were on that cruise with you.  I will wait a bit to see how this plays out. We are Regent cruisers, as you know, and I found them much shorter and easier to get refunds. 
sheila

1 minute ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We were on that cruise with you.  I will wait a bit to see how this plays out. We are Regent cruisers, as you know, and I found them much shorter and easier to get refunds. 
sheila

Yes, we have mostly cruised Regent but I was excited to try Crystal...but I didn’t want to risk my life for the experience.  We are booked on an April Regent Cruise but will most likely cancel that so we can see if and when the vaccine plays out.  

4 minutes ago, forgap said:

Yes, we have mostly cruised Regent but I was excited to try Crystal...but I didn’t want to risk my life for the experience.  We are booked on an April Regent Cruise but will most likely cancel that so we can see if and when the vaccine plays out.  

We were anxious to try Crystal Cruises. It was a good opportunity. Perhaps, if they ever offer the special again, we will try it. 
We have Regent cruises booked for December 2020 (think that will be canceled), January and February 2021 plus others at the end of 2021 and early 2022. 🤞.

Hope to see you in the future. 
sheila

On 7/29/2020 at 6:28 AM, ak1004 said:

We are now considering booking 2023 World cruise, paying in full and requesting to allocate some of our payment for our refund. Would it be fair?

You could do this, and I'm sure Crystal would be very happy.  But keep in mind that the date of your original payment would still apply in terms of any future credit card dispute, and by 2 years from now it will probably be too late to dispute it.  If it were me, I would make the minimum deposit needed on the 2023 WC with a new payment, rather than using your pending refund.   If you are talking about your refund that is at 121 days, you should get it soon (hopefully) or maybe you could dispute it now to speed them up.

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

You could do this, and I'm sure Crystal would be very happy.  But keep in mind that the date of your original payment would still apply in terms of any future credit card dispute, and by 2 years from now it will probably be too late to dispute it.  If it were me, I would make the minimum deposit needed on the 2023 WC with a new payment, rather than using your pending refund.   If you are talking about your refund that is at 121 days, you should get it soon (hopefully) or maybe you could dispute it now to speed them up.

This was supposed to be a joke. 🙂 Sorry for the confusion.