Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

just wonder if "size' of refund coming has anything to do with the timing...TER777 should know that if the one of 3 that got refund is possibly had a smaller refund?

4 minutes ago, docmark said:

just wonder if "size' of refund coming has anything to do with the timing...TER777 should know that if the one of 3 that got refund is possibly had a smaller refund?

The one who got the refund had the largest refund.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the very few who got quick refunds.

i agree in full waiting for refunds for quite substantial amounts is just horrible ...

but the policies of some airlines are quite similar , forcing people to go for "vouchers" instead of refunds 

one airline in europe does make it impossible to  ask for refunds for a cancelled flight online 

pax are forced to call a service center : average waiting time 45 minutes ...😡 

in my case still no refund for flights normal dep 19 th march...

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

i agree in full waiting for refunds for quite substantial amounts is just horrible ...

but the policies of some airlines are quite similar , forcing people to go for "vouchers" instead of refunds 

one airline in europe does make it impossible to  ask for refunds for a cancelled flight online 

pax are forced to call a service center : average waiting time 45 minutes ...😡 

in my case still no refund for flights normal dep 19 th march...

Wait time for Delta has been upwards of nine hours.  

9 hours ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

See my earlier post.  It’s total chaos !

Didn’t I post at the beginning of this thread that there would literally be no pattern to the refunds, and not to be frustrated when they didn’t see a pattern???

Even before COVID, and nothing Crystal-specific, there are multiple “gates” in the cancellation process that vary the time it takes for any travel supplier to process a refund.  The big difference is that it’s taking exponentially longer for cruise lines and tour companies to work through this mess, but the process is still the same inconsistent slog.

Literally, on a good, pre-COVID day, two people can submit a request to XYZ Airline within seconds of each other.  If EVERYTHING that could possibly go easily happens, and it sails through every single step smoothly and the luck of the stars is shining down on someone, that passenger could see a pending refund on their credit card within 24 hours and receive their money within 3 days.  Another passenger requesting a refund just seconds later, maybe even on the same flight, could take longer in any of those steps or could need different handling for a host of reasons, and gets their refund in 7-14 days,  That’s just the way it’s always worked.

Vince

According to the spread sheet, the number of people who have passed the 90 day wait is growing. I hope it is because the credit card companies have delayed crediting the refund and not that Crystal is extending the wait from the promised 90 days. 

12 hours ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

Very interesting.  Everyone I know of who has received a timely refund also paid with AMEX.  Why would this be?  Anyone knowledgeable on a difference in crediting to the various cards? 🤔

Actually we got ours back on Visa. It took the bank just over three weeks from the time they got the money from Crystal to actually credit it back to our card account, so you should factor that into the timeline as well.

I was due a refund from another cruise line, they said it would be on my card by the weekend and it was, so for me I don't think it is my credit card company holding up my refund

I paid on an Amex Platinum and still haven't seen a refund.  I explained what a res agent told me yesterday about handling the refunds in the other refund thread.

Posted (edited)

I have to disagree with what has been posted on processing time from when the cruiseline processes the refund to when it is posted based on personal experience. I had four refunds I was waiting for from Oceania, Celebrity, Seabourn and Crystal.  When I was following up on them (and eventually received the )they were posted 48-72 hours after the cruiseline said it was processed.

I have cancelled a lot of airline award tickets and received the money for the taxes/fees/FS back on my CCs within 48 hours.  Maybe I am just lucky.

In any case, my Crystal refund is the only one outstanding.

Edited by cruisr

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

I have to disagree with what has been posted on processing time from when the cruiseline processes the refund to when it is posted based on personal experience. I had four refunds I was waiting for from Oceania, Celebrity, Seabourn and Crystal.  When I was following up on them (and eventually received the )they were posted 48-72 hours after the cruiseline said it was processed.

I have cancelled a lot of airline award tickets and received the money for the taxes/fees/FS back on my CCs within 48 hours.  Maybe I am just lucky.

In any case, my Crystal refund is the only one outstanding.

In our case the refund appeared on our statement May 13, Value Dated April 24, so while we received the refund on Day 56, Crystal actually paid it on Day 35.  Not saying it will happen in every case, but there have been a few reported on some of the other threads, and as Vince pointed out on the Refund thread, card companies have 3 to 30 days to post a credit once received.

I was due a refund from  Viking earlier this year for a cancelled cruise for September 2020.They told my TA the number of days it would take for the refund and i received a credit to my Visa card on the expected date.
Based on the lack of any pattern on the Crystal refunds there seems to be no system in place. So all is random. This confirms my decision not to make any payments on my 2021 cruise in advance of the final payment date, and to cancel early unless the world situation is looking much more rosy. Better to lose a deposit than be waiting an indefinite period of time for refund of a full cruise fare. 
I love Crystal, but this is not good customer service and does not promote confidence.

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

I was due a refund from  Viking earlier this year for a cancelled cruise for September 2020.They told my TA the number of days it would take for the refund and i received a credit to my Visa card on the expected date.
Based on the lack of any pattern on the Crystal refunds there seems to be no system in place. So all is random. This confirms my decision not to make any payments on my 2021 cruise in advance of the final payment date, and to cancel early unless the world situation is looking much more rosy. Better to lose a deposit than be waiting an indefinite period of time for refund of a full cruise fare. 
I love Crystal, but this is not good customer service and does not promote confidence.

First, I want to point out something regarding the credit card brands from upthread.  It shouldn't take one brand of credit card longer than another to see a posted transaction.  What MAY happen on one type of card vs. another, is that you may see a "pending" credit on one type of card before it posts (like you do for a charge) vs. another type where the credit suddenly appears as "posted" without having that "pending" preview period.  Other than that, Visa/Mastercard/Discover/AmEx/etc. doesn't matter on processing time.  

I assure you, it's not random at any company, you just can't see the process from the outside because of the various branches in the process.  The same would be true at my company if someone tried to spreadsheet millions (in our case) of refunds and decipher patterns without knowing the different gates the reservations have to go through and how they were batched.

I'm not saying Crystal is doing a good job of communicating, or that this is good customer service.  But as I can tell you painfully well right now, with 51% of the entire US travel industry out of work right now (and climbing rapidly, according to USTA stats) more communication and faster refunds take more resources, which cost significantly more money and complicates the refunds.  That said, we're getting reports all over the map for all lines.  Some people have posted they got a refund from Crystal right when they said, some haven't.  Some have received their refunds from Regent when they said, some haven't.  I'm sure Crystal is probably taking longer on average than most lines -- they have by FAR the fewest resources to pool from for processing -- but we've all seen plenty of people say they've had contradictory experiences with refunds between Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Viking.  (I personally haven't heard much from Silversea.)

Vince

SuzieQft,

Please note booklovers102s post 245 in the other refund thread.  And thanks for all your hard work on this.

3 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

SuzieQft,

Please note booklovers102s post 245 in the other refund thread.  And thanks for all your hard work on this.

I had already updated the spreadsheet, as best I could since @BookLover102 did not provide any actual dates.  The listing is at the bottom of the page with the others that are "missing some data."

First 2 cruise adventures (multiple b2b’s) was Feb 19 recd refund Feb 21. Then I cancelled another set of b2b’s on March 12 and recd refund May 29. I now have all money previously paid to Crystal, less admin fees. The travel date for the refund just received was for June 2022. 

Here is our information:

Sailed on 2020 World Cruise. Embarked Jan 5, 2020.

Feb 27, 2020: Crystal notified WC guests on board of option for early termination of the cruise, with disembarkation in five days in Sydney on March 3, 2020, and refund of unused nights of the cruise fare paid. We notified Concierge Desk on board that day of our intention to accept offer of early ending of cruise.

(Original WC was to sail until April 21, 2020, so unused days would be around 48 days, depending on exactly how it is calculated.)

March 3, 2020: Disembarked.

May 24, 2020: Credits posted to our credit card account for our expected refund.

This would be 82 days of processing, if the March 3 date of disembarkation was used as starting date of refund process.

Sail Date 18th May 2020

Crystal Cancelled 19th March 2020

Requested 100% refund 20th March 2020

No refund received yet (68 Days)

On 5/30/2020 at 10:24 AM, Roland4 said:

Actually we got ours back on Visa. It took the bank just over three weeks from the time they got the money from Crystal to actually credit it back to our card account, so you should factor that into the timeline as well.

Was the refund for the WC that ended in late March?  Even with the wait with your CC, appears it took less than sixty days.

2 hours ago, almostretired said:

Was the refund for the WC that ended in late March?  Even with the wait with your CC, appears it took less than sixty days.

Yes it was, and as noted in Post 63 above, we got it on Day 56, but Crystal paid it on Day 35, which was also they day Crystal called me to verify the credit card information.

Just following up that we received our 100% refund on 5/29 for our cruise that was cancelled on 2/26. We also received our 25% FCC in April. We have not received our $500 per person for air yet.

Sail date  ~  22nd. May, 2020

Crystal cancelled  ~  3rd. April, 2020

Requested 100% refund  ~  9th. April, 2020

No refund received  ~  now 53 days after request. 

Sail date 5/24/2020

I cancelled on 3/9/2020 and I will get 25% cash refund + tax/fees (75% FCC)

No refund yet, will be 90 days on June 6.

Thanks Susie for the effort!