Tipping

Few months back I fell at night hit my heavy duty night stand on the way down fractured 4 ribs! Ouch could not move without screaming hubby had to get me out of bed by pulling me up while I yelled. Luckily we had a lift chair so spent most of my time there. I tried Motrin but was taking too much still no relief . I finaley called my Doctor and she called me in a script for percocet. Sometimes we have no choice. I am just worried that when we absolutely need them they won't perscribe them. Fine line for them to walk.

Edited by Reader0108598

7 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

A few years ago I fell and broke my ankle & dislocated my shoulder. I needed surgery and then went to a rehab facility for pt.

The rehab doctor came once a week for an evaluation. The first day he asked me if I wanted opiods. I said NO. He couldn't believe it. He said that if he were offered opiods he would never turn them down and tried to make me feel foolish for turning them down. Well, my ankle hurt but my brain wasn't addled. Give me some tylenol.

What's wrong here? 

We did go through a period of time where some politicians / ivory tower brainiacks decided that pain was going to used as the "5th" vital sign. People were supposed to be kept pain free and doctors were even sanctioned for not controlling pain. Then when we ended up with the huge opioid crisis those same people turned around and blamed physicians for the mess. Politics and medicine are, and always will be, a dangerous combination. 

Now back to tips and tipping.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, Kimba_83 said:

Maybe you want to show me where I said that I "pulled the autograts"? Even if people do,  it is none of your business. I just showed you what the cruise line allows you to do. 

The way you to talk here on this thread is cheap. All that seem to matter is your opinion. 

HAHA....you think your opinion, a completely unknown person to me, matters in the slightest to me??

I did not use "you" to mean "you" specifically. I meant "you" as in "all y'all" or "any of of y'all" if that makes it better for you. But let me put it in clearer terms so and you can decide it if applies to you or not. Anyone (who has taken at least one cruise and therefore knows better) who pull their autograts is scum in my book. No need to tips extra if you don't but it is made perfectly clear multiple times pre-cruise and during the cruise that the autograts are expected to be paid. Those that don't (other than the possibility of clueless first time cruisers) are nothing but cheap scum. Not saying who do and who don't because I don't know until I start laughing at that person pulling their grats at Guest Services the last night of the cruise (or any time).

Fair enough?

8 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Anyone (who has taken at least one cruise and therefore knows better) who pull their autograts is scum in my book. No need to tips extra if you don't but it is made perfectly clear multiple times pre-cruise and during the cruise that the autograts are expected to be paid. Those that don't (other than the possibility of clueless first time cruisers) are nothing but cheap scum.

ROFL,   your comments left me speechless,  all I can do is laugh

10 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

HAHA....you think your opinion, a completely unknown person to me, matters in the slightest to me??

I did not use "you" to mean "you" specifically. I meant "you" as in "all y'all" or "any of of y'all" if that makes it better for you. But let me put it in clearer terms so and you can decide it if applies to you or not. Anyone (who has taken at least one cruise and therefore knows better) who pull their autograts is scum in my book. No need to tips extra if you don't but it is made perfectly clear multiple times pre-cruise and during the cruise that the autograts are expected to be paid. Those that don't (other than the possibility of clueless first time cruisers) are nothing but cheap scum. Not saying who do and who don't because I don't know until I start laughing at that person pulling their grats at Guest Services the last night of the cruise (or any time).

Fair enough?

Where is it made clear that they are expected to be paid?

• Haha 1

I live in a country where there is kind of a ”no tipping” culture. For example I have never ever tipped a bar tender or hotel cleners here, they get reasonable salary for what they do and so do I, the difference in income is not huge. No tips needed. Of course I tip when abroad.  Now we will pay 510$ service fee or ”auto grads” for seven day cruice. I think that sum as a part of our cruice fare and it should ease my life as an unexperienced tipper. BUT... as this conversation has shown are the autograds enough? What are the mandatory moments, when I have to tip if I don’t wish to be rude. The guy who carries my suitcase? if I order room service? suite lounge bar tender when getting a comlimentary drink? room steward??? 

3 minutes ago, Littlestar80 said:

I live in a country where there is kind of a ”no tipping” culture. For example I have never ever tipped a bar tender or hotel cleners here, they get reasonable salary for what they do and so do I, the difference in income is not huge. No tips needed. Of course I tip when abroad.  Now we will pay 510$ service fee or ”auto grads” for seven day cruice. I think that sum as a part of our cruice fare and it should ease my life as an unexperienced tipper. BUT... as this conversation has shown are the autograds enough? What are the mandatory moments, when I have to tip if I don’t wish to be rude. The guy who carries my suitcase? if I order room service? suite lounge bar tender when getting a comlimentary drink? room steward??? 

Cruise ship employees make almost nothing in actual wages, and the bulk of their money in tips. It's shameful, and they really should organize and unionize - but here we are. My husband & I paid the automatic gratuity, but added small tips at the time of service for bartenders & room service delivery and larger tips at the end of the cruise for our cabin steward and dining room staff who attended us all week. 

I always tip, I used to work in hospitality field myself and also as a pizza delivery guy and I valued tips a lot. Those who never worked in these fields will never know that tipping is like 80% of the overall salary. So yes, I always tip and I tip well cause everytime I see a boy or a girl serving me something I remember myself being that very person. Desperate and ready to work their ass off just to make a living. I have only respect for these guys 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I just can't see it on the Royal Caribbean website, in their T&Cs or indeed on my booking confirmation.

Let's try and use a little common sense, okay?

First, you have been here around 11 years so I find it hard to believe that this is your first tipping thread read. But if it truly is your first tipping thread, please read on.

Second, if you have cruised for a while (or have read threads here), gratuities used to be placed in envelopes (cash) left in your room and you usually handed them out the last night. So many people just decided to skip going to the MDR the last night so they wouldn't have to tip those folks without having to do anything special. Almost all cruise lines, because of this, adopted the autograts where they are put onto your Sign & Sail card automatically and if you don't want to pay them you have to actually go to Guest Services and remove them. So the fact they are automatically charged and you are forced to remove them should be a clue that they are expected to be paid.

Third, as for not being able to see it on the Royal site, I guess you missed this page.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense Interesting to note, it states you can only modify, not remove autograts during your time on board for not receiving satisfactory service but of course folks that remove them don't allow such things as wording get in the way of their behavior.

Edited by Computer Nerd

9 hours ago, jencendiary said:

Cruise ship employees make almost nothing in actual wages, and the bulk of their money in tips. It's shameful, and they really should organize and unionize - but here we are. My husband & I paid the automatic gratuity, but added small tips at the time of service for bartenders & room service delivery and larger tips at the end of the cruise for our cabin steward and dining room staff who attended us all week. 

Certain cruise ship employees. Not all.

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I always tip, I used to work in hospitality field myself and also as a pizza delivery guy and I valued tips a lot. Those who never worked in these fields will never know that tipping is like 80% of the overall salary. So yes, I always tip and I tip well cause everytime I see a boy or a girl serving me something I remember myself being that very person. Desperate and ready to work their ass off just to make a living. I have only respect for these guys 

I don't know how it is now but I worked as a driver at Domino's in a college town back in the early 80s. We received at least full minimum wage, a 6% commission because we used our own vehicles, and pretty much all of the pizza we could eat. Tipping contributed very little to our overall salary.

9 hours ago, jencendiary said:

The uniformed officers ,including the Captain ,Accountants and many other ship personnel make decent wages.

7 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

First, you have been here around 11 years so I find it hard to believe that this is your first tipping thread read. But if it truly is your first tipping thread, please read on.

Second, if you have cruised for a while (or have read threads here), gratuities used to be placed in envelopes (cash) left in your room and you usually handed them out the last night. So many people just decided to skip going to the MDR the last night so they wouldn't have to tip those folks without having to do anything special. Almost all cruise lines, because of this, adopted the autograts where they are put onto your Sign & Sail card automatically and if you don't want to pay them you have to actually go to Guest Services and remove them. So the fact they are automatically charged and you are forced to remove them should be a clue that they are expected to be paid.

Third, as for not being able to see it on the Royal site, I guess you missed this page.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense Interesting to note, it states you can only modify, not remove autograts during your time on board for not receiving satisfactory service but of course folks that remove them don't allow such things as wording get in the way of their behavior.

You quoted a passage from the FAQ section of the site that says the gratuity can be “modified”. When you go to GS it’s an all or nothing proposition; so in this case “modified “ means removed. 

9 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I've cruised for years..not in enormous numbers but I've had my fair share.

As you'll see with my posts earlier in the thread I'm actually quite a fair person, I accept we all want different things from our holidays and we all have different cultures. 

The only time I get a bit naff is when someone tells me that I do it wrong and they do it right. Your entitled to your opinion as much as I'm entitled to mine. In my opinion you're only adding fuel to the flames of cruise companies paying their staff so poorly.

To finish, as said before, I'm just so glad you go out to work every day just to pay part of my "cruise fare", thank you for those hours you put in to allow me not to have to. 😂

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:03 AM, Billy Baltic said:

If the model works so well why only apply it to some people who provide a service? Why stop there? Why not pay a pilot $20k a year and they get the other $180k based on their arrival time stats for the year. 

Absolutely no thanks! I don't want us to have to depend on tips for our income.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:21 PM, Computer Nerd said:

........online times are quite often missed by things that are beyond a pilots control so if you didn't tip a pilot because you ran through a storm and were late you'd be punishing the wrong person (not that that doesn't happen anyway).

👍

On 6/9/2020 at 1:50 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

You quoted a passage from the FAQ section of the site that says the gratuity can be “modified”. When you go to GS it’s an all or nothing proposition; so in this case “modified “ means removed. 

While I have never tried to "modify" my gratuities on Royal, I have on NCL because of a change in their policies and was very successful in "modifying" my gratuities without fully removing them. I suspect you are incorrect in your assumption and that Royal will "modify" gratuities as well. It is not an all or nothing proposition.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:55 PM, amurray88 said:

I've cruised for years..not in enormous numbers but I've had my fair share.

As you'll see with my posts earlier in the thread I'm actually quite a fair person, I accept we all want different things from our holidays and we all have different cultures. 

The only time I get a bit naff is when someone tells me that I do it wrong and they do it right. Your entitled to your opinion as much as I'm entitled to mine. In my opinion you're only adding fuel to the flames of cruise companies paying their staff so poorly.

To finish, as said before, I'm just so glad you go out to work every day just to pay part of my "cruise fare", thank you for those hours you put in to allow me not to have to. 😂

Awesome way to rationalize you being wrong. Good job. 🤣

FYI, the article on the Royal site is not my opinion. I do not work for Royal and had no say in the article. I simply know how to comprehend English correctly. 😉

On 6/7/2020 at 5:31 PM, Computer Nerd said:

Anyone (who has taken at least one cruise and therefore knows better) who pull their autograts is scum in my book. No need to tips extra if you don't but it is made perfectly clear multiple times pre-cruise and during the cruise that the autograts are expected to be paid. Those that don't (other than the possibility of clueless first time cruisers) are nothing but cheap scum. 

45 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

While I have never tried to "modify" my gratuities on Royal, I have on NCL because of a change in their policies and was very successful in "modifying" my gratuities without fully removing them. I suspect you are incorrect in your assumption and that Royal will "modify" gratuities as well. It is not an all or nothing proposition.

So just to be clear, it is OK to modify gratuities just as long as they are not removed completely?

• Thanks 1