October Cruise - should I book it?

I have a 48 hour hold on an aft-wrap balcony cabin for an October 18 sailing on the Magic from Miami, 7-days, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Mahogany Bay. I'm going completely stir-crazy right now, especially since we were supposed to be on an 8-day cruise this week, and my wanderlust is making this sooooo tempting. On the other hand, we've had two cruises cancelled already and the thought of having the rug pulled out from under me again is crushing. I desperately need a vacation, too, since I am considered an "essential worker" (whatever that means...) and I've been working through the last miserable three months. 

So...do I book it, hold my sanity together with duct tape for another 4 months to go on vacation, and hope for the best? Or do I just abandon the idea of a cruise this year and find a beach house to crash at for a week this summer? Decisions, decisions...

I think if you are really and truly going to be disappointed (you will really be crushed and not just saying it), then I would plan something with more certainty if you really and truly need a vacation, any vacation, and not specifically a cruise. I had an April cruise canceled and was more relieved than anything to have that decision to go/not go taken from me. I also have August, September, October and December cruises booked. These, I am more certain that I would take if they sail but I'm expecting all but the December cruises to be cancelled and I'm fine with that. I'll start 2021 with hella PTO available.

• Like 2

I'm booked Oct 4th though out of Galveston. I truly think we will go. Texas is opening up here. 

If disney and six flags can open we can cruise.

I know what you mean about stir crazy. I need one too. And I'm over 65 so have to put up with lectures. I'm going though I might check in a little later to avoid crowds and a few things like that.

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I have a 48 hour hold on an aft-wrap balcony cabin for an October 18 sailing on the Magic from Miami, 7-days, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Mahogany Bay. I'm going completely stir-crazy right now, especially since we were supposed to be on an 8-day cruise this week, and my wanderlust is making this sooooo tempting. On the other hand, we've had two cruises cancelled already and the thought of having the rug pulled out from under me again is crushing. I desperately need a vacation, too, since I am considered an "essential worker" (whatever that means...) and I've been working through the last miserable three months. 

So...do I book it, hold my sanity together with duct tape for another 4 months to go on vacation, and hope for the best? Or do I just abandon the idea of a cruise this year and find a beach house to crash at for a week this summer? Decisions, decisions...

Book the cruise.

I'm booked in August and October.  What do you have to lose?  If they cancel, even more credit!

I haven't had a break since December.  Two cruises and multiple theme park trips all scrubbed.  Might as well work.

Just have a backup plan.  Disney, Universal and SeaWorld will be open and always fun.  You'll likely fine the same guidance as on the ships so shouldn't be a deal breaker.

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

I think if you are really and truly going to be disappointed (you will really be crushed and not just saying it), then I would plan something with more certainty if you really and truly need a vacation, any vacation, and not specifically a cruise. 

7 minutes ago, boatseller said:

I'm booked in August and October.  What do you have to lose?  If they cancel, even more credit!

I guess it really boils down to this: will I be crushed if it gets cancelled and what do I have to lose?

Yes, I will be crushed. And the thing I have to lose is the ability to take a vacation - any vacation - this year. Because of my work obligations right now, I can only take a vacation before mid-August, the week of October 17th, or wait until at least March next year. My job is high-stress, so vacation time is sacred. That's why I'm skittish about hanging all my hopes (and sanity) on a cruise in October. 

But that aft-wrap is calling my name...     

1 minute ago, JimnKaren said:

Will you be driving from Virginia? Or, will you fly?

Jim

We would be flying. I made the drive from Florida to Virginia when we moved and it's not one I ever want to make again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

UPDATE: Hubby said "book it" and he promised to keep me sane between now and then. I'm thinking lots of wine will be involved! 🤣

Awesome. Honestly at worse it's still reduced capacity. They have already cut off other bookings on not full ships. Maybe no self service drinks, they fill them and hand the drink to you. They were already doing the crazy salt and pepper shakers, where they keep taking them away and wiping them down. Probably have to wash your hands to enter buffet.

But honestly disney or other land vacations are doing a lot of this too.

If you love the crowds you might be disappointed. Carnival will almost for sure do limited capacity

59 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If you love the crowds you might be disappointed. Carnival will almost for sure do limited capacity

Reduced capacity would be great, plus hopefully less kids since it's October.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Awesome. Honestly at worse it's still reduced capacity. They have already cut off other bookings on not full ships.

Hi firefly,

Is there a source you can direct me to, for reassurance that my September cruise , will sail with the folks, like me who booked?  

I’m concerned they will book a full ship, get my hopes up, then say something like “oopsie-daisy, we’re sorry we overbooked”. Come sail during ________month instead.

Thank you

Bobbi 

7 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I guess it really boils down to this: will I be crushed if it gets cancelled and what do I have to lose?

Yes, I will be crushed. And the thing I have to lose is the ability to take a vacation - any vacation - this year. Because of my work obligations right now, I can only take a vacation before mid-August, the week of October 17th, or wait until at least March next year. My job is high-stress, so vacation time is sacred. That's why I'm skittish about hanging all my hopes (and sanity) on a cruise in October. 

But that aft-wrap is calling my name...     

If you will be crushed by a cancellation, I wouldn’t book the cruise. Why set yourself up to possibly being disappointed if the cruise gets cancelled, which is definitely a possibility. We have already had several cruises cancelled due to this virus and I expect a few more will be cancelled in the next few months. However, I fortunately have a lot more flexibility when it comes to taking time off from work. I understand how your work schedule makes this decision even tougher for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markmom18 said:
3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Hi firefly,

Is there a source you can direct me to, for reassurance that my September cruise , will sail with the folks, like me who booked?  

I’m concerned they will book a full ship, get my hopes up, then say something like “oopsie-daisy, we’re sorry we overbooked”. Come sail during ________month instead.

Thank you

Bobbi 

I see you live in calif. Your governor is resisting opening the economy and hawaii hasnt really opened.

I live in texas and can see what's going on here, six flags over texas is opening, my favorite book store, restaurants and I can finally get my hair cut.

There is probably a good reason ccl is choosing to open with 8 ships out of texas and florida, trying not to get political, just saying calif and ports out of calif I would think have more obstacles. If you do manage to cruise I heard it's not transmitted thru water. Spend a lot of time at the pools onboard.

I would guess west coast, ny and nj will be the last to open, but idk. I just know the governor here and in florida pushing to open asap. Every state will handle it differently. Hawaii requires 14 day quarantine so that's out and some from NE go to canada, and canada hasnt opened either. 

I feel a lot more confident the OP can saill in oct out of florida than about out of calif. 

17 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

just to clarify i think you mean Oct 17th...we are booked as an ultra cruise, looking forward to it but not the end of the world if it gets cancelled. First world problems eh

I was originally booked on  the Horizon 10/31/2020 but switched to 5/1/2021 on the Horizon. My reasoning was if one person on the ship tests positive for COVID-19 will the ship be prevented from docking in the US until all on board is tested and how long will be at sea ,etc. There are too many unknowns. 

4 hours ago, grimpil said:

just to clarify i think you mean Oct 17th...we are booked as an ultra cruise, looking forward to it but not the end of the world if it gets cancelled. First world problems eh

Oops, yes I did mean Oct 17 - thanks for the catch! I showed hubby a video of the aft wrap balcony and he basically said if I didn't book it, he would. He will probably spend the entire week on that balcony and just order room service! 😂

We were cancelled in April but a booked in early October on the Panorama and are reasonably confident she will sail.  Our biggest concern is what will Mexico do about opening their border.  Also it will be interesting to see what changes have been made to boarding protocols and on board.  Can't wait!