Will NCL’s Solo Cruiser Discount ever return?

coastcat

Remember way back when, before the latest website redesign, when NCL made it effortless to search for cruises with lower solo supplements? The redesign removed that tag and clicking on Cruise Deals->Solo Cruiser Discounts->View Cruises just takes you back to the regular search page.

I got an email from my new PCC, so I wrote back and asked about the SCD disappearance and if he knew anything about its return. His rather unhelpful response was that NCL offers Studio cabins on some ships. Dude, that wasn’t the question. Based on his answers to my other questions, I’m not entirely certain he knows what a “cruise” is.

Has anyone heard anything from any better-informed NCL reps regarding the missing Solo Cruiser Discount? 

I can find reduced solo supplements on certain TA websites and NCL isn’t offering many right now anyway. Royal Caribbean, on the other hand, is offering lots and lots...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure they took it away because they do not want to give Solo discounts.  I am like you and used to use that trying to find cruises with discounts for me.  I believe they are trying to push Solo people to the Studio cabins because they are making almost the same as a inside cabin with a much smaller room.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Studio Cabins but NCL is making making plenty of money on the program.

21 hours ago, MikeAndNick said:

I am sure they took it away because they do not want to give Solo discounts.  I am like you and used to use that trying to find cruises with discounts for me.  I believe they are trying to push Solo people to the Studio cabins because they are making almost the same as a inside cabin with a much smaller room.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Studio Cabins but NCL is making making plenty of money on the program.

That strategy will backfire with me. Price the Studio cabin at $200 more than a regular inside? Hah, I can easily drink $200 worth of espressos and lattes from the Studio Lounge before we reach the first port.

Royal Caribbean doesn't make it easy either - you have to consult a third-party site to see the sailings with lower supplements. You also just have to know which ships offer single-occupancy cabins (Quantum class). However, I've successfully booked a Studio Balcony on Quantum OTS and it'll be interesting to compare the solo experiences.

I think it depends on supply and demand(as usual). As long as the demand is high enough they will not give any discounts.

If the demand decreases after some time then they will give the solo discounts again. As long as the total price is not too high i don`t care about the supplement.I checked a few cruises out of the blue and currently the solo supplement is somewhere between 45 and 95 % (at least at their german website)

Also found a nice looking cruise on RCCL for next year and for this specific cruise the solo supplement was 220 % (!)

I was wondering whether due to Covid, the cruise lines would reduce the capacity of passengers on future cruises; and because of reduced passenger capacity not offer or reduce the solo supplements.  

Unfortunately, IMHO, I think the cruise lines will continue to charge us solo cruisers the solo discount. Especially if they have to sail with reduced capacity, they won't want to give up the additional revenue. But, as the above post says, it may be a matter of supply and demand. If the demand for cruises is low, the cruise lines may lower or even eliminated the solo discount on select cruises (we can only hope). As a new solo cruiser, I still can't stomach having to pay double for a stateroom. And, I don't like NCL's solo cabins. Way too small and no window or balcony. Hopefully, we'll all be back to cruising sooner than later!

1 minute ago, farmersfight said:

Unfortunately, IMHO, I think the cruise lines will continue to charge us solo cruisers the solo discount. Especially if they have to sail with reduced capacity, they won't want to give up the additional revenue. But, as the above post says, it may be a matter of supply and demand. If the demand for cruises is low, the cruise lines may lower or even eliminated the solo discount on select cruises (we can only hope). As a new solo cruiser, I still can't stomach having to pay double for a stateroom. And, I don't like NCL's solo cabins. Way too small and no window or balcony. Hopefully, we'll all be back to cruising sooner than later!

I meant charge us the solo supplement (not solo discount).