New Brochure

happy v

We had a long stay there on a repositioning back from ?Genoa.  We’re there till about 7pm I think.  We walked round near the airport and found quite a nice beach (few facilities though).  It couldn’t work if lots of people did it and the walk was not very pleasant, with the usual crazy traffic volume.   It is on a bus route though, so I suppose a bit of research hold be useful

However, despite enjoying the rock, the Trafalgar cemetery and associated history, and that beach, I think it is a poor port of call, particularly the awful, crammed, walk-off.  No social distancing possibly there!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Nor me been there too many times.  We have done all of the possible tours so now we just walk into town have a stroll around the tat shops and stroll back to the ship. We are definitely not the visitors they want, I can't remember the last time we spent anything other than to buy a coffee.

Fair enough, we've actually gone on a holiday there for five days - really like the place, but not everyone's cup of tea.  

We always make use of the duty free allowance too for spirts and perfume/aftershave - usually the best value on the cruise and certainly better than the on board prices in most cases.  As it's usually the last stop, P&O tend to be more liberal with the "take it off you" stance from our experience.  Can be helpful 😉

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

OMG. I know we are all different, horses for courses etc - and I'm not judging anylone else's tastes but I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend a whole day in Gibraltar...

I quite agree. Especially if you have been before.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

OMG. I know we are all different, horses for courses etc - and I'm not judging anylone else's tastes but I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend a whole day in Gibraltar...

Quite agree. 1 hour is an hour too long for me! I think the place is a dump. P&O should replace it with Ceuta, directly opposite across the straights of Gibraltar. It has a beautiful old town, historic buildings, lovely gardens, beaches, two nice promenades to walk along, lovely scenery and even a beautifully landscaped water park (not slides etc but gardens and huge landscaped pools).  We went there on Aurora last year and it was an unexpected highlight of the cruise, unlike Gibraltar which is a space filler. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were looking forward to having a whole day in Gibraltar back in May.  The previous times, we considered that half a day wasn't enough for us to independently do the cable car.  Too mean to get a cab to the cable car station and so thought maybe not enough time to make it worthwhile.

Oh well see what happens if there's a next time.

We stock up with cigars (for me) and gin (for both of us), for the year. Well, OK,  6 months😉

We actually quite like it; yes, it could be a bit less frantic at times and 6 or so hours is probably enough most of the time, but a full day would give us the chance to explore a little more widely. I'd certainly be happier to spend more time there and less in somewhere like Vigo, for instance. 

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I could do without Vigo - been there too many times.

I quite like Vigo. There is a nice African gentleman in the market who sold me a Rolex for 25 Euro.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 5:55 PM, Happy afloat said:

We stock up with cigars (for me) and gin (for both of us), for the year. Well, OK,  6 months😉

We actually quite like it; yes, it could be a bit less frantic at times and 6 or so hours is probably enough most of the time, but a full day would give us the chance to explore a little more widely. I'd certainly be happier to spend more time there and less in somewhere like Vigo, for instance. 

Again, just shows how we are all different as I much prefer Vigo. Whilst it isn't the most exciting or glamorous city, at least it is authentically Spanish as opposed to Gib's quasi-British atmosphere. I'd rather have a Cafe Cortado or an Estrella Galicia than a pint of John Smith's...

Edited by Britboys
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Again, just shows how we are all different as I much prefer Vigo. Whilst it isn't the most exciting or glamorous city, at least it is authentically Spanish as opposed to Gib's quasi-British atmosphere. I'd rather have a Cafe Cortado or an Estrella Galicia than a pint of John Smith's...

I'd rather have an Estrella than a John Smiths also, can't stand the stuff! We couldn't find very much to do or interest us in Vigo is all, at least in Gibraltar there's the cable car, tunnels, beach, and a bit of military history. As you say, we're all different, perhaps that's why we choose cruise holidays, for the variety of destinations. 

Here's to the next one, whenever it may be!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Doesn't matter what you call it, you were still ripped off.

A Rolex for less than €50. How can that be a rip off? I paid €15  for an Omega,  and the date never changed!  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Doesn't matter what you call it, you were still ripped off.

If you know it is fake and you are happy with the price you have not been ripped off.. 

Rolex have, but the buyer hasn't, unless you genuinely think you are buying a watch worth thousands for £15 Euro... 

I had a real one for a short time and the irony was, everyone thought it was a fake... 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

If you know it is fake and you are happy with the price you have not been ripped off.. 

Rolex have, but the buyer hasn't, unless you genuinely think you are buying a watch worth thousands for £15 Euro... 

I had a real one for a short time and the irony was, everyone thought it was a fake... 

Andy 

Oddly enough, I had a fake Omega, and a chap who had a real one thought mine was real.  Another Vigo bargain as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

My wife has 2 fake Rolex, she paid $5 for one in Penang and $7 for one in Istanbul, have to say they keep perfect time and she still has them almost 20 years later.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, jeanlyon said:

Whisky at £5 per bottle is a bonus and I quite like sitting in the square having a coffee.  Half a day is plenty if you have been a few times.

I agree Jean. We normally pick up a couple of bottles. It's nice to while away an hour or so in the square with a decent cup of coffee and people watch.

Avril 

On 6/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, jeanlyon said:

Whisky at £5 per bottle is a bonus and I quite like sitting in the square having a coffee.  Half a day is plenty if you have been a few times.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:38 PM, Adawn47 said:

I agree Jean. We normally pick up a couple of bottles. It's nice to while away an hour or so in the square with a decent cup of coffee and people watch.

Avril 

On my last couple of Med cruises, they have been selling standard gin on board for about £10 a bottle, so by the time I have my discount, it's not worth me getting off to save £4-odd, so I just enjoy the relative peace and quiet on the ship.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Ardennais said:

Vigo can be quite nice especially if you venture a few miles further to the Samil Beach area.

Well said, you beat me to it. Praia de Samil is lovely and just a short bus or taxi ride from the port. We'd choose Vigo over Gibraltar every time.

PraiaDeSamil5-495x330.jpg

• Like 1