No Hawaii cruises until last half of 2021

Going to be a lot of unhappy people on here if that it true?

Going to be  a lot sea days in a row from Vancouver to Singapore when you leave Hawaii out of the mix?

Edited by Jimbo

9 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

I read on the Norwegian board. This is from Hawaii.gov.  I have Serenade 5/5/21 booked, should I trust what they are saying?

https://dbedt.hawaii.gov/economic/qser/outlook-economy/

I think it's like anything else. You have to wait and see what happens. Things are always changing.  My son has a land trip trip to Hawaii booked with Airbnb in August. His June California trip was canceled and in order to get a full refund he had to book a new trip. I don't understand this but that was the deal. I would bet that it's a no go but he will get a full refund if this trip gets canceled. Hawaii is still doing the 14 day quarantine and I don't see that being lifted by August.

1 minute ago, sjpsoccer14 said:

I am booked on the 9/6/2020 and 5/5/2021 Hawaii voyages on Serenade and hope this article is incorrect.

Might be time to do some more lifting and shifting once itineraries come out for 2022

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Might be time to do some more lifting and shifting once itineraries come out for 2022

The outlook of Hawaii’s economy is based on the following assumptions:

No cruise visitors until second half of 2021.

it says assumptions .... doesnt say cruises banned until then... def of assumption ... for instance what if there is a vaccine by then? That is over a year away. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

The outlook of Hawaii’s economy is based on the following assumptions:

No cruise visitors until second half of 2021.

it says assumptions .... doesnt say cruises banned until then... def of assumption ... 

Might......

25 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Going to be  a lot sea days in a row from Vancouver to Singapore when you leave Hawaii out of the mix?

There is no telling if the SG government will allow the ship to dock.

Far too early to tell and too many things can change by then.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Could take the Alaska, Kamchatka, Japan route.  As a Risk player would love to add Kamchatka to my visited territories list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think it's like anything else. You have to wait and see what happens. Things are always changing.  My son has a land trip trip to Hawaii booked with Airbnb in August. His June California trip was canceled and in order to get a full refund he had to book a new trip. I don't understand this but that was the deal. I would bet that it's a no go but he will get a full refund if this trip gets canceled. Hawaii is still doing the 14 day quarantine and I don't see that being lifted by August.

Airbnb refunded 0% for me when the travel ban to Europe was announced and I couldn't use my booking in Spain.    If your son had to book a new trip to get a refund that doesn't sound like a refund.   I sincerely hope your son does better than me based on my experience.   

• Like 1

Amazing they have such clarity over the next 16 months.  On the other hand Hawaii was devastated by the introduction of disease by early explorers/conquerors hundreds of years ago so I guess I can understand their approach to such a contagious virus.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

Airbnb refunded 0% for me when the travel ban to Europe was announced and I couldn't use my booking in Spain.    If your son had to book a new trip to get a refund that doesn't sound like a refund.   I sincerely hope your son does better than me based on my experience.   

He booked the original trip over a year ago and I guess Airbnb paid the person. They gave him a credit and told him that it was refundable if He couldn't travel. I'm concerned since technically he can go to Hawaii but would have to quarantine 14 days under the Covid restrictions which would have been the same for California had he gone. I told him to push it until next year but what do I know?  No cancel for any reason insurance for NY state either.

An update to the report.

It seems there was no decision made by the state of Hawaii to block cruise ships as this may have been interpreted, rather this was an economic forecast intended to warn the state that there won't be significant cruise visitors coming so they can plan accordingly for a loss of revenue from cruise ship visitors.

Regarding the cruise visitors to Hawaii, that is a pure assumption by a group of economists within the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, the assumption is NOT a decision of government officials.  Our assumption is on the conservative side, the purpose is to provide the economic impact of a conservative scenario.  The assumption is based on two factors: (1) the projected COVID-19 pandemic will finish by the end of 2020 worldwide; (2) people are reluctant to travel via cruise for a few month after the ending of the pandemic.

• Like 7

Wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be true.  Hawaii has always managed within a bubble to some extent to protect their ecosystem.  They may take the long term view and sacrifice some (very little, relatively speaking??) short term financial benefit by banning cruise ships. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

An update to the report.

It seems there was no decision made by the state of Hawaii to block cruise ships as this may have been interpreted, rather this was an economic forecast intended to warn the state that there won't be significant cruise visitors coming so they can plan accordingly for a loss of revenue from cruise ship visitors.

Regarding the cruise visitors to Hawaii, that is a pure assumption by a group of economists within the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, the assumption is NOT a decision of government officials.  Our assumption is on the conservative side, the purpose is to provide the economic impact of a conservative scenario.  The assumption is based on two factors: (1) the projected COVID-19 pandemic will finish by the end of 2020 worldwide; (2) people are reluctant to travel via cruise for a few month after the ending of the pandemic.

This is based on the assumption that the No Sail Order by CDC is still in effect and a vaccine is available end of 2021. Otherwise we may not have a cruise industry anymore.

We just cancelled our land based trip to Maui for October. Originally it was booked for this April. Currently (to the end of June) any visitors have to quarantine for 14 days, and are not allowed to rent a car.  They are not allowed to shop, go out etc...  Room service, food delivery is the way you survive.  Hawaii will be there later on, is the way we see it. 

On a side note, I got my 2 night deposit back in 48 hours with the click of a mouse. 

• Like 5

Temper Tantrum GIF by memecandy

She said, throwing her Hawaii cruise reservation across the room............................

I'll just hope for the best for my Princess Hawaii cruise.  Refundable deposit, but it's got drinks, wifi, tips, and a $310 Big Box Store cash card included.  Plus, I got a $160 price drop yesterday.

I will hold on to it until it disappears from Princess' schedule.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

He booked the original trip over a year ago and I guess Airbnb paid the person. They gave him a credit and told him that it was refundable if He couldn't travel. I'm concerned since technically he can go to Hawaii but would have to quarantine 14 days under the Covid restrictions which would have been the same for California had he gone. I told him to push it until next year but what do I know?  No cancel for any reason insurance for NY state either.

Under the quarantine policy in Hawaii most AirBNB's do not qualify as quarantine locations.  So if the quarantine is still in place he will not be able to use the airbnb reservation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hawaii+quarantine+airbnb&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS733US733&oq=hawaii+quarantine+airbnb&aqs=chrome..69i57.5731j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Short term rentals are not a valid place for tourists to quarantine upon arriving in the Islands. The city clarified Thursday, even permitted vacation rentals should not be open.

"We set vacation rentals, legal or illegal, as nonessential. So if someone's coming to Honolulu and lands at Daniel K. International Airport, and they're going to stay at a vacation rental, they can't. They're nonessential, they need to be closed."

I was supposed to be in Hawaii right now.  😞  

Was to fly in to the Big Island last Friday for a week, then 2 weeks in Maui.  Was to celebrate my milestone birthday and our 24th anniversary.  We had been planning the return to Hawaii (where we spent our 10th anniversary) for over a year now. 

Cancelled for same reason, quarantine...   Our resort is closed as well (though they never emailed to tell me...would have been "homeless" 😮 ).  

Sooo I booked Harmony to replace the Hawaii trip, which would have been this Sunday......so much for that.  😕

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, npcl said:

Under the quarantine policy in Hawaii most AirBNB's do not qualify as quarantine locations.  So if the quarantine is still in place he will not be able to use the airbnb reservation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hawaii+quarantine+airbnb&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS733US733&oq=hawaii+quarantine+airbnb&aqs=chrome..69i57.5731j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Short term rentals are not a valid place for tourists to quarantine upon arriving in the Islands. The city clarified Thursday, even permitted vacation rentals should not be open.

"We set vacation rentals, legal or illegal, as nonessential. So if someone's coming to Honolulu and lands at Daniel K. International Airport, and they're going to stay at a vacation rental, they can't. They're nonessential, they need to be closed."

I think that this is what happened to his California Airbnb.