Is it possible that there will be no Hawai’i cruises until 2021?

Prost Seattle

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

When the financial pain hurts more than the fear of getting sick, Hawaii will reopen.

Somehow with Hawai'i being tourist driven for decades, they likely have analyzed this in advance.  Before they made these decisions and predictions.

Being a top 10 US destination right where we live, the Tourist Bureaus are making the same kind of assessments.

Most here would be more than happy to see tourism here (we were heavily over-touristed) reduced a bit, maybe 25% or so.  And just like Hawai'i, a chunk of the tourist money does not benefit locals but out-of-the-area property owners. 

Maybe it is the thinking here, but health is more important than tourist $$$.

4 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

When the financial pain hurts more than the fear of getting sick, Hawaii will reopen.

However, travelers that fly to Hawaii and spend time in hotels and resorts there, are considerably more valuable to the local economy than cruise ship passengers.  Risk vs Reward.

Expect Hawaii to open to land based travelers, well before opening up to cruise ship visitors.

Also expect them to open hotels and resorts, before allowing vacation rentals such as airbnb.  Largely due to the hotels and resorts filing reopening plans and being easier to trace and inspect.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

This is a statistical projection based on economic assumptions.

My Grandfather, an armchair philosopher, frequently said, "Liars figure and figures lie." Statistical projections are, at best, a guess. The numbers are heavily subjected to Statistician bias. I really hate to see statistical projects being presented as truth. Statistics can only hope to be accurate when they tell us what happened in the past, and even then, they are still subject to bias.

I have a cruise booked for Hawaii in November. Will it sail? I don't know. Do I want to be on the ship when it sails? I don't know. I don't have to decide today. I can live with ambiguity.

Hawaii has had the COVID 19 under control for some time and they still maintained “Safer at Home” orders for their residents.  They are now opening up, but still have the orders.

The way they are interpreting the data and science is very cautious with a lot of support from the Hawaii residents.  They still are not allowing anyone to fly from one island to another without being quarantined for 14 days.  
They have not had a death in several weeks, only occasionally have a positive test result, and must have a positivity test result well under 1%.  The irony is that 80% of their positive test results have been traced to returning residents.  

I am having a hard time believing that if this interpretation/approach continues that they would allow cruise ships with passengers from around the world to call in Hawaii.  It is their right and they will be the one suffering the consequences.

They have been discussing only allowing residents of select countries to visit while maintaining a 14 day quarantine for Americans from other states.

The above leaves me to conclude that cruise ships will not be visiting Hawaii in 2020.  They would need to be comfortable with tourist from other states and around the world first.

• Thanks 1

The economists who made this study commented in a later interview that this is based on a "worst case" scenario, and the assumptions are based on the current situation, and projected future situations, which could change at any time, and change this projection.

We were booked on the May 2021 Oahu to Vancouver. Did not think that was enough time for a vaccine , so we moved to May 2022. Actually cheaper, we upgraded to Aqua. Hope by then we will be back to a new normal.

• Thanks 1