SeaDream are sailing in Norway

Scspartan76

Just got back from Seadream 2 Bergen-Oslo 7 day cruise. First timer on Seadream Yach Club, I jumped on the offer the day they became available for Finnish citizens too. I think this cruise was still limited to Norwegian, Danish and Finnish residents/citizens only. But this likely is already different for the next cruises as the EU rules change on a daily basis. 

The ship was at 100% capacity which created a few issues especially for dining as the weather didn't really permit use of open deck space except for the two last days. I really feel I need to try out the ship in the Caribbean as it was obvious we were missing out on many things being mostly stuck indoors. They were doing changes to the ship, adding heaters and wind blockers so probably the next cruisers will be able to dine on the deck and enjoy sunset drinks in the top of the yacht bar. Covid situation meant gym had to be booked in advance, 4 pax max for 1 hours followed by 30 min sanitization. Besides that and the obvious hand desinfectant stands everywhere things seemed pretty normal. 

The cruise was overall a great experience with the highlight being the food and the magnificent views of the fjords! 

Nice post TuomasV - we will be on Seadream I next Tuesday from Oslo to Tromsø - 12 days. I can see on weather forecast that the weather should be a a little better compared to your trip. Good to hear they take care of their passengers. I think our cruise was sold out within days, which will means it probably only will be passengers from Norway/Denmark/Finland. Thanks again for sharing.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kla203 said:

Nice post TuomasV - we will be on Seadream I next Tuesday from Oslo to Tromsø - 12 days. I can see on weather forecast that the weather should be a a little better compared to your trip. Good to hear they take care of their passengers. I think our cruise was sold out within days, which will means it probably only will be passengers from Norway/Denmark/Finland. Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks ThomasV for your report.

Looking forward to your report also.

Edited by ho-hum

3 hours ago, TuomasV said:

Just got back from Seadream 2 Bergen-Oslo 7 day cruise. First timer on Seadream Yach Club, I jumped on the offer the day they became available for Finnish citizens too. I think this cruise was still limited to Norwegian, Danish and Finnish residents/citizens only. But this likely is already different for the next cruises as the EU rules change on a daily basis. 

The ship was at 100% capacity which created a few issues especially for dining as the weather didn't really permit use of open deck space except for the two last days. I really feel I need to try out the ship in the Caribbean as it was obvious we were missing out on many things being mostly stuck indoors. They were doing changes to the ship, adding heaters and wind blockers so probably the next cruisers will be able to dine on the deck and enjoy sunset drinks in the top of the yacht bar. Covid situation meant gym had to be booked in advance, 4 pax max for 1 hours followed by 30 min sanitization. Besides that and the obvious hand desinfectant stands everywhere things seemed pretty normal. 

The cruise was overall a great experience with the highlight being the food and the magnificent views of the fjords! 

Welcome to SeaDream, Tuomas.  You just have to be lucky with the weather.  We did Copenhagen to Bergen this time of year a few years ago.  The weather was gorgeous, bordering on hot.  90F when we arrived in Bergen.  But we had dinner on deck every night.  I think they stopped serving in the dining room after the first night.  A SD dinner while sailing through the fjords may be the best time we have ever had on board.

SD has long had sanitizer by the dining room and outdoor dining, and added the hand washing station about a year ago.  Problem is, not everyone used them.  Now we are getting used to doing it all the time.  Some new good habits, I hope.

Haha, we were in Bergen last September and, as a Desert Rat, I could only call it Winter.  Bits of sun with lots of rain, sleet, and cold.  One of the locals told me they have 5 sunny days a year.  Otherwise, a beautiful place....😎

On 7/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, Jim Avery said:

Haha, we were in Bergen last September and, as a Desert Rat, I could only call it Winter.  Bits of sun with lots of rain, sleet, and cold.  One of the locals told me they have 5 sunny days a year.  Otherwise, a beautiful place....😎

We had quite the opposite experience. We were in Bergen for a few days at the end of a SD trip in July.  The weather was extremely hot and sunny. In fact, the only problem was that the air conditioning in the hotel did not work very well, and in restaurants it was non-existent. 

Edited by Zimmy

2 hours ago, Zimmy said:

We had quite the opposite experience. We were in Bergen for a few days at the end of a SD trip in July.  The weather was extremely hot and sunny. In fact, the only problem was that the air conditioning in the hotel did not work very well, and in restaurants it was non-existent. 

Hi Zimmy.  Wish we could travel with y'all again.  You have better luck with weather and kiddies than we.  

All the best, 

Jim & Lois xx🍸

It looks like all sailings [*] in Norwegian waters has been stopped by the authorities for at least 14 days due to the covid19 situation on the Hurtigruten.

😟

[*]Cruise ships with more than 100 people on board.

Heard that SD can complete the voyages already underway but no one can leave the ship along the way.  Unclear if those now on board disembark this weekend as scheduled or stay on to complete the 14-day quarantine on the ship.  Future voyages will have fewer than 100 guests to avoid the new restrictions.  No doubt SD is holding itself to higher health standards.

1 hour ago, JES4845 said:

Heard that SD can complete the voyages already underway but no one can leave the ship along the way.  Unclear if those now on board disembark this weekend as scheduled or stay on to complete the 14-day quarantine on the ship.  Future voyages will have fewer than 100 guests to avoid the new restrictions.  No doubt SD is holding itself to higher health standards.

Indeed ... thanks to your post I checked just now and the Norwegian voyages there yesterday have been removed ... the first voyages shown are in mid September in the Med which seems quite unlikely.  An inside source had said the other day, before the Norwegian restrictions, that only one of the two ships might go to the Caribbean this fall.  Or at least one first and hold the other back depending on demand and conditions in the region.  Anyone have further insights?

Just read on a website called cruiselawnews.com or something like that ... that a guest on  SD1’s last voyage tested positive ... ugh.  If true, very sorry to hear this news as it certainly makes it less likely that the planned and popular Norwegian voyages will continue as planned.

As for Norway, it probably doesn't make financial sense to try to operate with only 100 people on board. 

I had heard from someone who should know that SDII was going to be headed to the Caribbean for winter cruises, and that the Eastbound crossing was still on.  But who knows, and I suspect that things are very fluid at this time.  

5 minutes ago, JES4845 said:

Just read on a website called cruiselawnews.com or something like that ... that a guest on  SD1’s last voyage tested positive ... ugh.  If true, very sorry to hear this news as it certainly makes it less likely that the planned and popular Norwegian voyages will continue as planned.

Here is the link... https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/08/articles/disease/positive-covid-19-cases-on-the-viking-star-and-seadream-1-208-crew-and-guests-quarantined/

Ugh... that is depressing.  A year ago, we were embarking on our latest Hebridean cruise, and I'm seeing all of the memories of that on Facebook.    

COVID-19 is ruining the cruising industry.  I would have loved to have gone on one of the Norway cruises with SeaDream.  Now, it's hard to tell when we can cruise again without significant risk. 

I feel so sorry for the crew.