Taking a cue from hotels

drew69

While there has been much speculation on changes when cruising returns, it has mostly focused on the public spaces and modifications.  Based on what is happening with hotels - and I mean luxury hotels such as the Four Seasons, etc. - much will most likely change in the cabin, cabin service, butler service, etc.

Little or no interaction with steward or butler

No daily housekeeping - you make your own bed and tidy your own cabin.  Supplies - towels, toiletries, toilet paper, etc. are dropped off in a bag and you leave dirty towels in a bag to be picked up

Cabin stripped of many amenities/surfaces for easier cleaning - minibars, coffee makers/kettles, glasses, printed material, etc. removed from room

Limited room service, dropped off with disposable cutlery, dishes, etc.

Deep cleaning with rooms not being ready until much, much later upon boarding

No more unpacking - for anyone who did use this butler service - shining shoes, mending, etc. to minimize interaction with guests and guest belongings

No behind the scenes or bridge tours

Elsewhere, self-service  beverage stations gone.  Stacks of pool or gym towels gone, libraries gone, etc.

These are in addition to the impact to dining, bar service, public spaces, shows/events, ports, etc.

When cruising does return, after health considerations  - which are most important for everyone to decide if cruising still works for them - the many changes needed have to be weighed to determine the value proposition/bang for your buck - to see if it is still worth the price beign charged

• Like 2

I was in a Courtyard over the weekend and never informed that there would be no housekeeping.  Not that they cut the price any!  It's costing the housekeeping staff gratuities, as we tip based of nights of service. (Plz no flaming).  

I would be fine with the no printed materials in the room.  They're just in the way.  Stripping the mini bar (but keeping the fridge) would be fine too.  Towels are stored outside in UV light.  I don't see them as being an issue, especially if there's a hand sanitizer at the towel station.   No towels on the loungers to start the day...that may be a possibility.

We'll all have to get used to a few changes.  Here's hoping they don't become permanent.

• Like 2

It’s really going to be down to each individual. I personally feel many people will return to cruising but I may be wrong, we will know for sure in the next few months. If the first cruises run close to the capacity they decide on that’s going to be a good indication of demand moving forward. I’ve said this before that a great product does not become a poor one overnight just because of a virus. We are way more resilient than that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think this may be a template for at least some of the things the cruise companies will institute.

I literally have no desire to sail under such parameters.  I totally understand and support the need to do these types of things but this is not something that I would pay even a minimal (like 1/2 of what cruises have cost recently) amount to "enjoy."  Add to that that the initial cruises will likely be of short duration and in the Caribbean, neither of which we have even the slightest interest.  It will, however, be a good gauge of consumer interest.  Judging from many comments on here and by the general public, I fear that the interest, although there, may well be fairly limited.

Only time will tell (and who knows when that will even be! 🙂

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don't see half of this flying on a cruise ship, or even making a difference.  

I agree with the making a difference part.  Many of these measures get instituted with no reference to the scientific evidence that they'll prevent spread.  If the steward is tested negative, why can't he/she clean the room?  Because the passenger may be infected?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marieps said:

I agree with the making a difference part.  Many of these measures get instituted with no reference to the scientific evidence that they'll prevent spread.  If the steward is tested negative, why can't he/she clean the room?  Because the passenger may be infected?  

It seems that basic common sense has left the building on many thoughts about this virus.  

I'd sail tomorrow if they would go.  And I would like to have my room tidied up...and a towel outside around the pool.  And oh yeah, I need a mini bar to stash my extra waters and unopened BEERS in.  

• Like 3

This post caused me to look up the Four Seasons Covid-19 policies, and it led me to this article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/so-long-minibar-how-coronavirus-changing-your-hotel-stay-n1180226

It deals with the Four Seasons in New York City, which of course was the US epicenter of the disease.  Maybe more importantly, the hotel was hosting medical professionals on the front lines of treatment for the disease.  So the measures taken were extreme, and intentionally so.  I can't see most of them being implemented elsewhere, other than in the very short run.  

Tom & Judy

• Like 4

I don't view this as a viable model for any cruise line. While certain elements might work their way in - for example, delayed boarding while cabins are deep-cleaned -  such things as making your own bed or room service with paper plates and disposable cutlery just aren't going to fly.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TFree said:

This post caused me to look up the Four Seasons Covid-19 policies, and it led me to this article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/so-long-minibar-how-coronavirus-changing-your-hotel-stay-n1180226

It deals with the Four Seasons in New York City, which of course was the US epicenter of the disease.  Maybe more importantly, the hotel was hosting medical professionals on the front lines of treatment for the disease.  So the measures taken were extreme, and intentionally so.  I can't see most of them being implemented elsewhere, other than in the very short run.  

Tom & Judy

They were at the Courtyard on Hilton Head last weekend.  No housekeeping, just a pre-packaged towel assortment in a bag.  Roof top pool: People all over seemingly without a care.  Sun and a breeze are great disinfectants, which is why most warm weather cruising is safer than is being depicted, IMHO.

• Like 2

The ship is often the destination for us and I'm not paying over $20K to make my own bed, clean the suite, eat off of paper plates, use plastic glasses for champagne, etc. I'll stay home and enjoy my koi pond and spend my money on good wine and dinners out.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

If I want to clean my own room, & make my bed  I can do that at home. 

Totally !!!!!!!!  What's could be next, 'curb side; pickup for all food with orders done up in a nice take out box that you take back to your room to eat 🙂  The possibilities are endless but many won't be 'market' tolerated for the price.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The ship is often the destination for us and I'm not paying over $20K to make my own bed, clean the suite, eat off of paper plates, use plastic glasses for champagne, etc. I'll stay home and enjoy my koi pond and spend my money on good wine and dinners out.

Ya I think this is what makes the tolerable level of measures a bit different on a cruise. 

As someone else said, we shall see when people start sailing and until then it is a bit of a guessing game as to what it will really be like though we can be sure the earliest sailings will be the more stringent in what they do.