Has anyone received their refund from NCL?

On 6/2/2020 at 7:20 PM, Capitan Obvious said:

....Kidding aside, when you dispute a charge you are telling the bank that the cruise line fraudulently charged your credit card without your consent...

That is completely, totally untrue!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drsel said:

So what does one do if you have paid by debit card and they don't refund your money?

Shouldn't that be 'So what does one do if one has paid by debit card and they don't refund ones money?'

We're in the same boat with most of you.  We requested a refund on March 23 for our spring break cruise and were told it would be 90 days.  In April, we called NCL to request an update on our refund status and were given the biggest run-around ever so we filed a complaint with Citi VISA.  They reversed the charges, but now we are seeing them returned to our card.  NCL's response documents state that we were given a FCC, but it neglects to mention anything about refund requests.  When they responded to Citi, they made it sound like an FCC was our only choice.  

I can't believe they have time to fight all of the credit card reversals, but they don't have time to refund our money.  We won't be sailing with them again.  

15 minutes ago, southerngirloutwest said:

We're in the same boat with most of you.  We requested a refund on March 23 for our spring break cruise and were told it would be 90 days.  In April, we called NCL to request an update on our refund status and were given the biggest run-around ever so we filed a complaint with Citi VISA.  They reversed the charges, but now we are seeing them returned to our card.  NCL's response documents state that we were given a FCC, but it neglects to mention anything about refund requests.  When they responded to Citi, they made it sound like an FCC was our only choice.  

I can't believe they have time to fight all of the credit card reversals, but they don't have time to refund our money.  We won't be sailing with them again.  

Wow! Do you have a confirmation email of your refund request that you can provide to Citi to prove that you requested the refund?  NCL sent me a confirmation email, but it was super vague and sketchy. Did not contain our reservation number, sail date, passenger names, amount, or any other details. I’m beginning to think they did that on purpose. 

Would be interested to know about the run-around you got. Mine was something like, “I don’t handle those things. I have no way of checking the status. They’re busy. I’m sure they’ll get to it soon.”  

Please  keep us updated on your status. I hope you get your refund soon. 

Edited by CarolinaMamma
Typos

I am still waiting for a refund from an early May sailing. It was cancelled beginning of April, we requested refund on April 13th. We bank with USAA, and I have disputed once. Only time and LAST time I have paid for a cruise with a debit card (still don't know why). The temporary credit was reversed because NCL gave USAA some bs story. I escalated and am waiting for a callback from a department manager at USAA. To say the file at USAA has grown would be an understatement, although I have a feeling they will rule in our favor.

I'm sorry but AFTER 90 days is not an acceptable time frame for a refund. I do not care about their cash flow, and the work from home excuse is old. Most everyone has been working from home since March, so that argument is invalid. I paid for something that I did not receive, give me my money back NOW.

Now we wait for all the NCL apologists...

All cruise lines are really bleeding now.

there is no income no cash flow and huge expenses.

I guess they will only give a fcc to everybody.

*You chose Norwegian in preference to all the other Cruise lines for a very specific reason*

So why not accept a fcc and cruise with them again next year or when the virus becomes extinct or a vaccine is available. Instead of getting stress and anxiety and high blood pressure over it.

Believe me it's not worth stressing over. The company is legitimate, they are not cheats.

If they give you a fcc in view of the cancelled Cruise, technically it is not a default.

You will only lose the interest on the amount blocked.

Is the fcc 125% of the amount you paid?

You chose Norwegian in preference to all the other Cruise lines for many valid and specific reasons.

Try to remember all the reasons why you chose Norwegian.

Try to remember all the lovely memories you had on your last few Norwegian cruises.

Surely you can have the same good times again in the future

May 16 NCL Jade cruise was cancelled by NCL on April 24, 2020.  After applying for a cruise refund between May 7-15, 2020, I called NCL twice in May and was on hold for > 1 hour. I never spoke to anyone from NCL. On June 8, 2020 I web chatted with Amex.  I explained that I had tried to reach NCL by telephone, I gave the days of charges and the amounts and this morning, the credit appeared on my account.  I also used Alaska Visa for a payment on this cruise and after providing (by telephone), Alaska Visa (Bank of America) with the needed information,  the call was noted and I was told that the investigation may take 90 days.  Nice to think that the money is refunded or close to being refunded.  Time will tell. 

58 minutes ago, drsel said:

So why not accept a fcc and cruise with them again next year or when the virus becomes extinct or a vaccine is available. Instead of getting stress and anxiety and high blood pressure over it.

Believe me it's not worth stressing over. The company is legitimate, they are not cheats.

If they give you a fcc in view of the cancelled Cruise, technically it is not a default.

it’s not that simple for some of us. I have one kid in college and two at different high schools with different calendars and different summer activities, so it’s hard to even find a time when we can all travel.  On top of that, I have an auto-immune condition that makes me not want to go on vacations that involves being in an enclosed space sharing air with a lot of other people until there is a vaccine. 

1 hour ago, drsel said:

*You chose Norwegian in preference to all the other Cruise lines for a very specific reason*

Believe me it's not worth stressing over.

It's not worth stressing over.  That's why I filed a dispute with my CC and I received a provisional credit, vs. waiting and hoping that I would eventually receive a refund.  

They have given me several "very specific reasons" to not do business with them in the future.  NCL has been great when things go well.  But even before the pandemic and cruise shutdowns, if there was an issue or a problem, they would hassle me to no end.  If they should go as far as telling my CC company that I chose FCC and made them reverse my charge back, as one post above just claimed.  Then seriously, how could I ever do business with them and be able to look at myself in the mirror?  

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, southerngirloutwest said:

They reversed the charges, but now we are seeing them returned to our card.  NCL's response documents state that we were given a FCC, but it neglects to mention anything about refund requests.  When they responded to Citi, they made it sound like an FCC was our only choice.  

If they intended to make things right, the easiest action would have been for them to do nothing.  Your CC card would have already refunded your money for you.  This just doesn't make sense unless maybe they really intend to withhold your refund?  The only things that this can accomplish is to further alienate customers and/or give them an angle to $crew people out of their refund?

3 hours ago, drsel said:

All cruise lines are really bleeding now.

there is no income no cash flow and huge expenses.

I guess they will only give a fcc to everybody.

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

It's not worth stressing over.  That's why I filed a dispute with my CC and I received a provisional credit, vs. waiting and hoping that I would eventually receive a refund.  

They have given me several "very specific reasons" to not do business with them in the future.  NCL has been great when things go well.  But even before the pandemic and cruise shutdowns, if there was an issue or a problem, they would hassle me to no end.  If they should go as far as telling my CC company that I chose FCC and made them reverse my charge back, as one post above just claimed.  Then seriously, how could I ever do business with them and be able to look at myself in the mirror?  

Probably comes down to personal circumstances.  I went for the refund, but mainly because my wife didn't want to take the risk of NCL getting out of this alive (ironically her view could ultimately lead to that!).  If you plan on cruising again and expect NCL to get through this (and they seem to have secured sufficient funding to do so), then the FCC is probably fair.  While I understand the "it's my money, they shouldn't hold onto it", I suppose there is a bit of "if I let them hold onto it, at least they will be around for future cruises!".  

I did hear reasons like "$x is too much money for us not to get refunded, we have bills to pay etc" which made me wonder how these funds were needed - if they had gone on the original cruise those monies would be gone (and more including spending).

39 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Probably comes down to personal circumstances.  I went for the refund, but mainly because my wife didn't want to take the risk of NCL getting out of this alive (ironically her view could ultimately lead to that!).  If you plan on cruising again and expect NCL to get through this (and they seem to have secured sufficient funding to do so), then the FCC is probably fair.  While I understand the "it's my money, they shouldn't hold onto it", I suppose there is a bit of "if I let them hold onto it, at least they will be around for future cruises!".  

I did hear reasons like "$x is too much money for us not to get refunded, we have bills to pay etc" which made me wonder how these funds were needed - if they had gone on the original cruise those monies would be gone (and more including spending).

Yeah they probably would have spent more but they also probably would have been coming back to a job and even paid through vacation pay. Many people found themselves without a job and guess no emergency fund (which is on them...) and those thousands tied up could be put to good use.

Both me and my wife lost our jobs but had some money set aside and with cutting back were able to pay all our bills. I still requested a refund and rather have it sooner rather than later once the money is in my hands there is no more risk (no matter how small or large).

We also took the refund because none of the stuff they offered blew us away. We looked at the same trip we were to do and money wise it was actually more expensive but if you added all the perks in then it sort of broke even though most of the perks we don't care for (like open bar).

I rather wait till next year and evaluate our options maybe it will be a cruse maybe it will be something totally different what ever gets us the most bang for our buck.

On a side note anyone who requested a refund in April get it yet?

• Like 3

My cruise was cancelled by NCL in April.  I initiated a chargeback with Capital One and NCL sent a 30 page dispute in response. I submitted proof of the cancellation from NCL and the form they asked me to fill out for a refund. As of today, NCL is still disputing the charge. Capital One has all my documentation but I was informed that NCL has not been issuing refunds. Apparently NCL is calling COVID 19 an act of GOD so they don't have to pay out. NCL SHAME ON YOU!!!!! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chobo2 said:

On a side note anyone who requested a refund in April get it yet?

There is another thread on here with a spreadsheet tracking refunds.  So far, it looks like the only refunds of paid-in-full, NCL-cancelled cruises are for Pride of America sailings. 

For some reason, people who requested refunds on deposits before final payment are getting refunds more quickly. 

2 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

There is another thread on here with a spreadsheet tracking refunds.  So far, it looks like the only refunds of paid-in-full, NCL-cancelled cruises are for Pride of America sailings. 

For some reason, people who requested refunds on deposits before final payment are getting refunds more quickly. 

Can you link to it, I am not seeing it.

17 hours ago, southerngirloutwest said:

I waited for NCL to cancel the cruise and filled out the refund form and they still disputing it. I also did a charge back and then it was reversed when NCL sent a 30 page dispute. According to Capital One, they are disputing everything. 

4 minutes ago, kisbel65 said:

My cruise was cancelled by NCL in April.  I initiated a chargeback with Capital One and NCL sent a 30 page dispute in response. I submitted proof of the cancellation from NCL and the form they asked me to fill out for a refund. As of today, NCL is still disputing the charge. Capital One has all my documentation but I was informed that NCL has not been issuing refunds. Apparently NCL is calling COVID 19 an act of GOD so they don't have to pay out. NCL SHAME ON YOU!!!!! 

Why would they give us the option for a refund, and then turn around and say they’re not going to pay it because Covid is an act of god? Something isn’t adding up here.

4 minutes ago, Murph269 said:

Why would they give us the option for a refund, and then turn around and say they’re not going to pay it because Covid is an act of god? Something isn’t adding up here.

"Don't Believe Everything You Read On The Internet"

~ Abraham Lincoln, 1870.

4 hours ago, drsel said:

You chose Norwegian in preference to all the other Cruise lines for many valid and specific reasons.

Try to remember all the reasons why you chose Norwegian.

Try to remember all the lovely memories you had on your last few Norwegian cruises.

Surely you can have the same good times again in the future

I am a hospice provider and will never set foot on a cruise again. Nice try NCL. My money now!!!

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

"Don't Believe Everything You Read On The Internet"

~ Abraham Lincoln, 1870.

Call Capital One and they will tell you the same thing they said to me. NCL is giving them the excuse that COVID 19 is an act of GOD. Not making it up. 

21 minutes ago, chobo2 said:

Can you link to it, I am not seeing it.

Here is the thread with a spreadsheet tracking refunds. Hope more folks will add their info so we can get a better picture of what is going on. 

• Like 1