Cruise Critic Community
jimbo5544

Hawaii Journey cruise bad news?

"officials predict the state will not see cruise traffic until the second half of 2021.."

Does this mean the cruise ships are deciding not to visit Hawaii, or the cruise ships are not allowed to visit Hawaii?  

"Hawaii will welcome 3.4 million visitors in 2020.."

So, Hawaii isn't shutdown? 

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

"officials predict the state will not see cruise traffic until the second half of 2021.."

Does this mean the cruise ships are deciding not to visit Hawaii, or the cruise ships are not allowed to visit Hawaii?  

Land vs sea are totally different 

Hawaii is pretty much shutdown at the moment. Waikiki is a ghost town with hotels boarded up, 250,000 unemployed, etc. But the fish are returning!

10 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

yes it is, check Google, we have very good friends we were to visit and they think the fall might be a stretch

I think same as posted before .... says assume. 

Who knows in a year. Might be a vaccine before then.

15 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

Yep, it's gonna hurt for sure, but with some lowering, and extension, of Kama'aina rates, they will have some cash flowing . . . albeit much less than normal.

Everyone has choices, I just hope one person is not making decisions for many that are foolish.  

Posted (edited)

Hawaii is not going to starve. They will take care of their own without mainlanders going there and spreading the virus. Have faith.

"Kama'aina" means....local?

Edited by fyree39

8 minutes ago, coevan said:

maybe the lock down is why the number are so low. They do not want main landers there yet, totally understandable

I have seen nothing factual that supports that.  As I said before, it is their choice (at least I hope it the choice of the islands vs one person).

Hawaii is hurting - 20% of the economy is tourism and that is gone. It will be years before it fully recovers.

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

All of this with a grand total of 14 covid deaths, starvation is not all that far off.  

I know haircuts are still a ways off.

We opened up for hair/nail salons,tattoo parlors and a few other businesses. Tomm we open parks, water park, Sea Life Park. Restaurants are opening, but not bars yet. I came home from the mainland and had to quarantine for the 14 days. Sure glad I had friends who could deliver me food, and BEER. Instacart only works with a few stores. Beaches reopened. Memorial Day, beaches were packed. We went 6 days with no new cases and had 3 each day for the last 2 days. Governor is being pushed to open InterIsland travel and has stated that the quarantine will be in effect "past" June 30 for mainland/international travel.I believe we are 25% unemployment, with so many employed in the hospitality industry. Private home rentals are down to single digits compared to somewhere in the 75-80% normal range.

There is a new form you must fill out upon arrival. Only 10 pax at a time allowed to disembark. National guard takes your temp, then a interview about your purpose for coming. Several arrests have been made for violating quarantine. Hotels, that are open, are watching their guests and reporting violators. This staying at "vacation rentals" are being monitored by a task force. Don't even think of going to Kauai.

The latest plan is to create a "travel bubble" to only include visitors from Japan. Don't see how they think they can only allow visitors from a foreign country to visit and not other from the other 49 states that we are in union with. Oh yeah, Japan just had 65 new cases today.

Oh well, time to head to the beach. My growler needs an outing.

49 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

We opened up for hair/nail salons,tattoo parlors and a few other businesses. Tomm we open parks, water park, Sea Life Park. Restaurants are opening, but not bars yet. I came home from the mainland and had to quarantine for the 14 days. Sure glad I had friends who could deliver me food, and BEER. Instacart only works with a few stores. Beaches reopened. Memorial Day, beaches were packed. We went 6 days with no new cases and had 3 each day for the last 2 days. Governor is being pushed to open InterIsland travel and has stated that the quarantine will be in effect "past" June 30 for mainland/international travel.I believe we are 25% unemployment, with so many employed in the hospitality industry. Private home rentals are down to single digits compared to somewhere in the 75-80% normal range.

There is a new form you must fill out upon arrival. Only 10 pax at a time allowed to disembark. National guard takes your temp, then a interview about your purpose for coming. Several arrests have been made for violating quarantine. Hotels, that are open, are watching their guests and reporting violators. This staying at "vacation rentals" are being monitored by a task force. Don't even think of going to Kauai.

The latest plan is to create a "travel bubble" to only include visitors from Japan. Don't see how they think they can only allow visitors from a foreign country to visit and not other from the other 49 states that we are in union with. Oh yeah, Japan just had 65 new cases today.

Oh well, time to head to the beach. My growler needs an outing.

Perfect example of the few (maybe one) who decide for the many.  Leaders lead, rulers dictate.