Cruise ships with over 500 passengers to be banned from Canadian ports until Oct 31, 2020

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Two questions — has Royal been refunding NRD for cruises they cancel (or Canada cancelled 😕)?  Also, my Pinnacle cruise freebie was scheduled for late August to Canada.  Any guesses as to if I can get the Pinnacle cruise certificate reissued?  I am waiting until I hear info from Royal before I call.  Thanks for any thoughts.  Katherine

I received their update as it related to the October 1 Grandeur Canada/NE (I'd give odds you are booked on that one, also!). What I don't see yet is any official cancelation. My concerns is the possibility of being restructured to a Boston/Bermuda or Bermuda/Bahamas and using the "itinerary is subject to change" approach. I'll/We'll see on June 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Two questions — has Royal been refunding NRD for cruises they cancel (or Canada cancelled 😕)?

Any sailing cancelled by RCI is eligible for refund, regardless of booking type.

5 minutes ago, John Reid said:

I received their update as it related to the October 1 Grandeur Canada/NE (I'd give odds you are booked on that one, also!). What I don't see yet is any official cancelation. My concerns is the possibility of being restructured to a Boston/Bermuda or Bermuda/Bahamas and using the "itinerary is subject to change" approach. I'll/We'll see on June 2.

All three of my upcoming are out of Cape Liberty.  I think that also might affect if we are able to sail at all. 

On 5/29/2020 at 10:41 AM, pink845 said:

I agree with the Canadian ban.  We need to protect our country and our citizens.  Justin Trudeau our PM is speaking right now and he is saying that this ban is to protect our coastal communities from the very serious Covid 19.  Yes, he understands it will be a big hit to the economy but health is his primary focus right now.   We will all be better for this ban in the future. 

I am booked on Oct. 19th Vision from Quebec to FLL.  Thankfully, refundable so no issue cancelling. 

Here are some Covid 19 update numbers for Canada (you can easily search): 

We've had a total of 7,073 deaths in Canada thus far with the majority (4,363) being in Quebec.  2,247 deaths in Ontario.  Coastal communities deaths:  British Columbia - 164, Nova Scotia - 59, New Brunswick - 0, PEI - 0.

90% of deaths over age 60.  And our Toronto Star says 82% of deaths have been in long term care homes.  Four provinces with no deaths at all, including two of the coastal communities.

Economic devastation for shutting down all these provinces????  Maybe Trudeau will give us those numbers.

NJ 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Amen to that! I wrote MBayley this a.m. and asked him to do that. Especially now with the latest announcement about Canadian ports. 

I got the email of intentions on letting us know the full facts by Tuesday.  I am already cancelling everything that was connected to my Alaska cruise.  No way they can pull that rabbit out of the hat now with Canada extension.  😮

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

I am booked on Oct. 19th Vision from Quebec to FLL.  Thankfully, refundable so no issue cancelling. 

Here are some Covid 19 update numbers for Canada (you can easily search): 

We've had a total of 7,073 deaths in Canada thus far with the majority (4,363) being in Quebec.  2,247 deaths in Ontario.  Coastal communities deaths:  British Columbia - 164, Nova Scotia - 59, New Brunswick - 0, PEI - 0.

90% of deaths over age 60.  And our Toronto Star says 82% of deaths have been in long term care homes.  Four provinces with no deaths at all, including two of the coastal communities.

Economic devastation for shutting down all these provinces????  Maybe Trudeau will give us those numbers.

NJ 

I live in one of those coastal communities.  Most people here don't want the cruise ships to dock this summer as it isn't worth the risk.  While this year will be hard for the tourism sector, many businesses are hoping to benefit from locals who will be forced to vacation closer to home. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

I live in one of those coastal communities.  Most people here don't want the cruise ships to dock this summer as it isn't worth the risk.  While this year will be hard for the tourism sector, many businesses are hoping to benefit from locals who will be forced to vacation closer to home. 

Best wishes for your community.  Hope the locals have enough $$ to make up the tourism shortfall.  And hopefully things will get better.

NJ 

5 hours ago, lr657 said:

I totally agree with this, especially since it's still not definitely determined when Australia will allow cruise ships to return.  Their current ban through September 17th could be extended. We are booked on the September 6th Serenade Vancouver to Honolulu sailing. I'm expecting it to be cancelled when the update from Royal occurs on Tuesday. 

Also, if Australia will allow cruising by then, demand likely will be lower once things start up again, hence this reduces the chance even more for Serenade to even be sent down under.

5 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Radiance sailing from Vancouver-Tokyo and Tokyo-Singapore still show for sale on the RCI website while other cruises involving Canada ports/embarkation are gone. What will June 2 announcement mean for Radiance? An itinerary change? or cancellation? I'm hoping for cancellation. 

For our 2/24/20 Quantum cruise out of Hong Kong RCI changed it to round trip Singapore, then later cancelled it 10 days before sailing.  Wound up with three sets of useless airline tickets.

7 minutes ago, mugtech said:

For our 2/24/20 Quantum cruise out of Hong Kong RCI changed it to round trip Singapore, then later cancelled it 10 days before sailing.  Wound up with three sets of useless airline tickets.

Cha ching!

So got the email that we all expected today basically telling me that I can choose 125% FCC, lyft or full refund, no mention of other options for a cruise, our cruise was on August 3.  I have a feeling cruises will not be starting by then