Is this the first of many bans? Canada

CanadianKate

"Cruise ships with overnight capacity for more than 100 crew and passengers will not be allowed to operate in Canadian waters at least until November, the minister said. The ban on large cruise ships, many of which were hit by COVID-19 outbreaks, began in March."

This doesn't affect Windstar since the Breeze Alaska sailings have been cancelled and I'm pretty sure there wasn't an east-coast fall cruise schedule for the colours. 

BUT in the ban that was declared in March,  Windstar was small enough that it would be allowed. Now Canada has made the size of ship to be too small for most cruise lines.  And, of course, it means all cruises to Alaska won't be running unless the US changes their regulations for non-US registered ships since there will be no non-US port they can use. So running from Seattle doesn't help. 

My concern is that this is the first of the cancellations and other countries will be following suit. Specifically in the Caribbean this winter. 

Forgot to add the link:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-canada/canada-extends-ban-on-large-cruise-ships-until-oct-31-transport-minister-idUSKBN23522Y?utm_source=reddit.com

Edited by CanadianKate

Many of the Caribbean islands have already announced they’d be closed until at least Sept to outsiders (non-residents). The BVIs just now let their residents return with a mandatory quarantine.

I’d bet before the season starts (late Nov), they’ll allow ships again in limited capacity or at least have a plan for reinstatement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They might open but they may require a 14 quarantine on arrival or you might need to stay home for 14 days when you get back. We don't know yet how this will be played out. In the carribean, will you be allowed to visit 6 country in a week and then go home??

There are few cruise ships in the Caribbean from May to late October. Not many land based visitors during hurricane season. I think a lot of countries have given up on this season and are waiting for the traditional fall/winter season. We will see what happens with the "early openers"....