What's ahead for repatriated Filipinos NCL crews - quarantine bottlenecks heading home !

mking8288

A.P. Newsflash - https://apnews.com/e29d2830a0f15d531894db7b700db7ff

The massive bottleneck in the Manila Bay and on land for the tens of thousands of Filipinos appeared to be finally easing up.  That is good news for NCL crews currently at sea and going back home - with the Escape still in the Atlantic, not scheduled or expected to reach its last stop in Manila until early July.  Once they are tested, all returning OFW are still subject to a mandatory 14 days quarantine or isolation and held at a hotel.  

Warm weather in places like India not helping at all in keeping down Covid-19 infection - "prime minister said there was a “long battle” ahead against the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19" with nearly 8,000 new cases reported.  https://news.mb.com.ph/2020/05/30/india-posts-record-jump-in-covid-19-cases-modi-says-long-battle-ahead/

Recalling the oversea labor pool and seafarers for the cruise ship industry is going to be a challenging logistic on how to bring them back, IMHO.  The skeletal crew currently working on board the ships to maintain hot laid-up will have to be changed.  

Fresh cold water Atlantic lobsters from New England & Canada are inexpensive this season here in NY and plentiful - isn't that great !   Stay safe, be well & healthy.  Social distancing and wearing a mask is a must here in NY until further notice - it can and save lives, including that of healthcare and frontline workers putting theirs at risks everyday. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Recalling the oversea labor pool and seafarers for the cruise ship industry is going to be a challenging logistic on how to bring them back, IMHO.  The skeletal crew currently working on board the ships to maintain hot laid-up will have to be changed.

Hopefully, the calls by the IMO, ITF, ILO and other organizations for essential status for merchant mariners, who carry 80% of the world's economy, and who have been faced with severe restrictions and outright bans on crew changes all around the world, will get governments to act, and then the cruise ship crew will not be treated as second class citizens, as they currently are in the US, and will be free from most travel restrictions.  Civil aviation appears to be facing similar challenges.  Cruise ship counts are dropping, but merchant ship crews accumulate 100,000 crew changes monthly.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is interesting to hear what the crew is going through. Hopefully, when they start sailing, starting up just a few ships at a time will help with the logistics of getting crew back on board. I watched an interesting video from a crew member on RCL Quantum of the Seas. The ship is in Manila and has been sending crew members ashore about thirty people a day. I was a little surprised that he and his girlfriend were able to opt to stay on board. He was from Alaska, and she was from Malaysia. Even though they weren't getting paid anymore, they seemed to appreciate what they had as far as room and board and free internet. They felt safe staying on board. Of course it is easier when you are young and in love!

2 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

It is interesting to hear what the crew is going through. Hopefully, when they start sailing, starting up just a few ships at a time will help with the logistics of getting crew back on board. I watched an interesting video from a crew member on RCL Quantum of the Seas. The ship is in Manila and has been sending crew members ashore about thirty people a day. I was a little surprised that he and his girlfriend were able to opt to stay on board. He was from Alaska, and she was from Malaysia. Even though they weren't getting paid anymore, they seemed to appreciate what they had as far as room and board and free internet. They felt safe staying on board. Of course it is easier when you are young and in love!

Most would rather stay on the ship if they are not Filipinos.  There are few international flights and very difficult to get hotel rooms unless you are being quarantined for another 14 days.  All recent flights to Singapore by Philippine Airlines have been cancelled.

How anyone can read stories like this and think cruising is starting up in ANY capacity before MAYBE Spring 2021 (and no Seaman I don't care about some ferry or river cruise or whatever) is beyond me. 

Edited by HavenHater55
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HavenHater55 said:

How anyone can read stories like this and think cruising is starting up in ANY capacity before MAYBE Spring 2021 (and no Seaman I don't care about some ferry or river cruise or whatever) is beyond me. 

what about this cruiseline , or is that going to be omitted as well?  

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/bahamas-paradise-plans-to-become-first-cruise-line-to-resume-service

these are older ships purchased from the big 3. So we shouldnt hear  "its not a real cruiseship"

4 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/bahamas-paradise-plans-to-become-first-cruise-line-to-resume-service

these are older ships purchased from the big 3. So we shouldnt hear  "its not a real cruiseship"

You will be wrong about this like you've been wrong about *every* *single* *prediction* you've made to date 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

I don't care whose scrap metal they bought, It's not real cruising. It's a two day gambling trip that goes to and from the Bahamas. And it certainly isn't anywhere close to being a major cruise line.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I don't care whose scrap metal they bought, It's not real cruising. It's a two day gambling trip that goes to and from the Bahamas. And it certainly isn't anywhere close to being a major cruise line.

lol , even though those ships were used by the major cruiselines, this is just an attempt to dismiss, that any type of cruise is going to be starting,  very small of some of you. 

fyi if any big 3 go in august it will be a short trip and small ships used, will you dismiss that too ,to save face? 

Edited by seaman11

20 minutes ago, HavenHater55 said:

Well, taking the Philippines as an example, while Filipino crew on cruise ships are having to take a 14 day quarantine, and the cruise lines are using the ships as quarantine facilities, any Filipino on-signer has no restrictions signing on any ship in Philippine ports, so getting crew  back onto the ships is not a problem.  Further, Manila is open for international flights, so crew flying to join ships will be able to get back without a whole lot of hassle.  The USCG has been among the most lenient in the world in allowing ship crews to crew change, designating them as essential personnel, and therefore exempt from travel restrictions, with the sole exception of the cruise ship crews.  These crews have been under quarantine longer than anyone has been in the US, and have had no passenger exchanges, and I've not heard of any new cases onboard, so IMHO, the CDC order, which was justified at the time of the shutdown and large numbers of passengers and crew who had not been in quarantine were trying to disembark, is now merely punitive, and not nearly as punitive to the cruise lines as to the crew.  Even India has started to allow crew changes with a mandatory covid testing within the port confines, before the crew is allowed to travel to the airport, and I think this could be done very easily in the US, without subjecting anyone to potential contact, and with keeping anyone who tests positive on the ship, and sending it back to anchorage.

Do I foresee a limited startup of cruising this fall/winter, yes.  Crew availability will not be the issue, it will be the other requirements of the CDC order that will need to be addressed.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Yes, it was a former Carnival ship, but to compare it to a major cruise line cruise in the Caribbean/Bahamas, is to compare the Oasis of the Seas to a Star cruises cruise.  Both Bahamas Paradise and Star cruises are designed for one thing, to separate the gambling public from their money.

And, if anyone believes that they are taking a 30+ year old ship, and without the use of a shipyard are going to "implement a fresh air ventilation system" is smoking something that's not legal in all 50 states.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, it was a former Carnival ship, but to compare it to a major cruise line cruise in the Caribbean/Bahamas, is to compare the Oasis of the Seas to a Star cruises cruise.  Both Bahamas Paradise and Star cruises are designed for one thing, to separate the gambling public from their money.

And, if anyone believes that they are taking a 30+ year old ship, and without the use of a shipyard are going to "implement a fresh air ventilation system" is smoking something that's not legal in all 50 states.

The point isnt how big the ship is . its the fact of the social gatherings around ports and on board these ships.and getting crew ready.  many thought that will not happen for some time.  rcls grandeur of the seas is near 30 years old I believe , does that not count? 

as i said some want to save face so they will omit these sailings. I have a feeling they will also omit any big 3 small ships also when they go .  

Edited by seaman11

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

lol , even though those ships were used by the major cruiselines, this is just an attempt to dismiss, that any type of cruise is going to be starting,  very small of some of you. 

fyi if any big 3 go in august it will be a short trip and small ships used, will you dismiss that too ,to save face? 

As usual you're making things up. All I've ever said is that Big 3 cruise holding companies can't possibly restart before August 1 at the earliest because they've already cancelled all sailings until that date. It's a simple fact. You can continue to post to the contrary 100 times a day, but you'll be wrong 100 times a day.

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

As usual you're making things up. All I've ever said is that Big 3 cruise holding companies can't possibly restart before August 1 at the earliest because they've already cancelled all sailings until that date. It's a simple fact. You can continue to post to the contrary 100 times a day, but you'll be wrong 100 times a day.

Well you were correct it seems on the cdc not rescinding the order,  many have said no cruises at all till fall , 2021 , 2021 spring and so on, I have been saying august for some time, i had no june or july cruise booked as a matter of fact. 

As far as the paradise cruise ships, they are still cruises, i dont care about the semantics of size and not a part of the big 3. which i cant find anyone  till recently mentioning "just the big 3"  they were talking about. 

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

rcls grandeur of the seas is near 30 years old I believe , does that not count? 

Grandeur launched March 1, 1996.  Do you believe 24 is near 30?  Just my opinion, but it does not count.

12 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Grandeur launched March 1, 1996.  Do you believe 24 is near 30?  Just my opinion, but it does not count.

The point is there are old small ships and still part of the "big 3" so will it not count towards a "real" cruise? 

11 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

The point is there are old small ships and still part of the "big 3" so will it not count towards a "real" cruise? 

Must be more than a two day gambling trip.

The operator of short cruises between the Port of Palm Beach, Florida and Grand Bahama Island plans to resume cruises on July 25, just one day after the expected expiration of the Centers for Disease Controls’ current “no sail order.”

This is a lot of hot air. Assuming that CDC order will expire and just disappear. It is not going to happen.

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

Philippines claims there are 300,000 more OFW's headed home, so Manila is gonna be crowded for a while.  NCL Escape pulling in July 2nd.

The vast majority of these will be flying in, and the current inbound travel requirement is for a swab test upon arrival, and to be put up in hotel until results come back, and then a 14 day self-quarantine at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The vast majority of these will be flying in, and the current inbound travel requirement is for a swab test upon arrival, and to be put up in hotel until results come back, and then a 14 day self-quarantine at home.

This is true, but when the hotels get full then they suspend all incoming flights for a week at a time.  Could be a few months until 300,000 go through the process, waiting for test results sometimes for 5 days.

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, taking the Philippines as an example, while Filipino crew on cruise ships are having to take a 14 day quarantine, and the cruise lines are using the ships as quarantine facilities, any Filipino on-signer has no restrictions signing on any ship in Philippine ports, so getting crew  back onto the ships is not a problem.  Further, Manila is open for international flights, so crew flying to join ships will be able to get back without a whole lot of hassle.  The USCG has been among the most lenient in the world in allowing ship crews to crew change, designating them as essential personnel, and therefore exempt from travel restrictions, with the sole exception of the cruise ship crews.  These crews have been under quarantine longer than anyone has been in the US, and have had no passenger exchanges, and I've not heard of any new cases onboard, so IMHO, the CDC order, which was justified at the time of the shutdown and large numbers of passengers and crew who had not been in quarantine were trying to disembark, is now merely punitive, and not nearly as punitive to the cruise lines as to the crew.  Even India has started to allow crew changes with a mandatory covid testing within the port confines, before the crew is allowed to travel to the airport, and I think this could be done very easily in the US, without subjecting anyone to potential contact, and with keeping anyone who tests positive on the ship, and sending it back to anchorage.

Do I foresee a limited startup of cruising this fall/winter, yes.  Crew availability will not be the issue, it will be the other requirements of the CDC order that will need to be addressed.

Yet there are still cruise lines crew members testing positive on Cruise ships.  50 days after the last passengers left.

http://health.gov.vc/health/images/PDF/stories/News-Release---Seven-new-confirmed-COVID-19-Cases-NEOC-18.docx.pdf

Royal Caribbean on the 26th was taking crew to St Vincent.  The government of St Vincent required tests of all of the crew being returned.  The first test was the quick antibody tests in returned 29 positive reponses so the government required PCR tests to look for active cases.  7 have tested positive out of the first 77 tests.  They are currently waiting for the remaining 295 tests.  This is for crew that have been "in quarantine/isolation since May 5 according to other news reports.

Just maybe if the cruise lines were to test the crew, and be open in the actual status of illness on cruise ships, the CDC might take a different view concerning crew members and the current travel restrictions.  But as the CDC says on their page discussing the repatriation requirements.

At this time, given the limited availability of testing onboard ships and inconsistent reporting from cruise ships, CDC does not have confirmation or evidence that any cruise ship is free of COVID-19.

As of this time 7,599 crew have been repatriated in accordance with the CDC requirements according to their web site.  

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1