Carnival shares

Dorset Cruiser

Anyone with cruise line shares----do you have a certificate and or any other documentation from them?

I called Carnival and was told that I just need the print out of the statement from my trading website! It seems so not "official" to me. 

Guess I am too picky!!

3 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Anyone with cruise line shares----do you have a certificate and or any other documentation from them?

I called Carnival and was told that I just need the print out of the statement from my trading website! It seems so not "official" to me. 

Guess I am too picky!!

Since you, gmjc2, are in the U.S, when you hold the shares in a brokerage account ("street name" in Wall St. jargon), on the records of the company (e.g. Carnival), the brokerage is the owner. You are the beneficial owner by virtue of the brokerage holding the shares in your account for you (the only way to be the legal owner on the company's books is to have a certificate issued and these days, almost nobody does that as most brokerages charge to have a certificate issued). So in the end, it a copy of your brokerage statement that is the proof that you are the beneficial owner of the shares.

8 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Guess I am too picky!!

Statement or trade confirmation is good, just black out your account number and make sure the Firm's name is on the documentation.

Thanks. I guess I have seen too many movies where they have nice decorated bearer bond certificates and thought there should be something like that for shares also! I guess we will settle for the print out!

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Thanks. I guess I have seen too many movies where they have nice decorated bearer bond certificates and thought there should be something like that for shares also! I guess we will settle for the print out!

If you really, really want a Carnival Stock Certificate to impress your friends and relations, there is a blank one available on eBay for the bargain basement price of $125.00 + shipping... ☺️

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

If you really, really want a Carnival Stock Certificate to impress your friends and relations, there is a blank one available on eBay for the bargain basement price of $125.00 + shipping... ☺️

Very Funny!!!   

• Thanks 1

About 15 years ago when our son was a baby, I saw an ad for "One Share".  For his first Father's Day, DH got one share of Disney stock that came with a framed color stock certificate and a personal message inscribed.  I retrospect, I could have gotten several shares for that same price, but the framing and personalized message were the real gifts, right?  😊 Disney shares were in the $25 range back then.

Every dividend period for years, they have sent him checks for less than $1, sometimes less than $0.20.  I checked a few months ago about transferring that share to an account with a brokerage firm and found out if he decided to sell the share or transfer it to a different brokerage firm, he has to send in the certificate.  Well, we won't be doing that!  He can just hold that certificate in its frame forever!!! 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Guess I am too picky!!

I've always used the notice of annual shareholder meeting and proxy statement. It has the shareholder name and number of shares.

Y'know I've never seen a share 'certificate' for anything I've owned. I've heard about them but I think they're obsolete. Brokerage statements (account blacked out) work fine. KISS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I closed my ETrade account, I asked for the CCL certificate plus a few others to be mailed to me since we did not have  a brokerage account.  Somehow CompuShares (?) then took over the job of sending out the dividends.  Two years ago signed with a new brokerage company and turned over the certificates to them to transfer.

The problem with some brokerage statements is they have you full name on one page and just the account number on another showing your holdings.  This was insufficient for CCL/Princess the last time we sailed, and we had to get a letter from our broker.

This is a good reason for not waiting until the last minute to submit your request for shareholder benefit.

Thanks for all the great info and advice. You all probably gathered that we are new to this share thing!

It seems to me that the company you buy into should have a record of the number of shares a person owns! If they send out a meeting letter they must have some record, but yet Times Prince had a burden of proof!!

Oh well, we shall see when we get back to cruising some day soon!

20 hours ago, LoveThatCorgi said:

About 15 years ago when our son was a baby, I saw an ad for "One Share".  For his first Father's Day, DH got one share of Disney stock that came with a framed color stock certificate and a personal message inscribed.  I retrospect, I could have gotten several shares for that same price, but the framing and personalized message were the real gifts, right?  😊 Disney shares were in the $25 range back then.

Every dividend period for years, they have sent him checks for less than $1, sometimes less than $0.20.  I checked a few months ago about transferring that share to an account with a brokerage firm and found out if he decided to sell the share or transfer it to a different brokerage firm, he has to send in the certificate.  Well, we won't be doing that!  He can just hold that certificate in its frame forever!!! 

What a great story!  We have certificates for crossing the Equator and International Date line from 2 Pacific voyages on Cunard and they are really nice.

We paid $12.43 for Carnival and $9.00 for NCL so hoping they go back to the 50+ they were 2 years ago. Then we could sell and take that World cruise! We also bought some oil company stock at $0.27!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

It seems to me that the company you buy into should have a record of the number of shares a person owns! If they send out a meeting letter they must have some record, but yet Times Prince had a burden of proof!!

They don't. As I posted much earlier in the topic, when you hold the stock in your brokerage account (known as holding it in "street name" (street meaning Wall Street)), the brokerage is shown on the company's books as the owner. When a dividend is paid, the company sends it to the brokerage who then has the responsibility to send it on to the beneficial owner (that's you). Likewise when there's an annual report, notice of annual meeting, etc. to be distributed, the company sends them to the owner of record (the brokerage) and they then send them on to you. Most of that stuff is electronic these days but if you look at any emails you get about them, they come from the brokerage or the company the brokerage has hired to handle it - they do not come from the company itself. Bottom line is most companies do not know who most of their stockholders are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, denmarks said:

I  wanted to buy it at $7.50 but my brokerage account was closed due to inactivity. It took a week to reactivate it and it had gone up $5 by then. 😟

Had a similar problem...went to buy at $8.01 but had to re-activate my E-trade account...by the time I bought it, the coast was $11.72 a share...still not bad since it's over $16 today.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:31 PM, coo359a2 said:

When I closed my ETrade account, I asked for the CCL certificate plus a few others to be mailed to me since we did not have  a brokerage account.  Somehow CompuShares (?) then took over the job of sending out the dividends.  Two years ago signed with a new brokerage company and turned over the certificates to them to transfer.

Computershare also handles what was OneShare. 

11 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

We just sent a .pdf of our online Schwab statement to guestadmin@carnival.com for the proof.

I don't think you can e-mail your request for shareholder OBC.  I think you can only fax or send your request through U.S. Mail.

See the instructions here: "Please provide by fax or by mail your complete legal name, reservation/booking number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (for example, photocopy of shareholder proxy card, a dividend tax voucher or a current brokerage or nominee statement with your brokerage account number blacked out) no later than 3 weeks prior to your sail date to your travel agent or to the cruise line you have selected "

Booking Support 24303 Town Center Drive, Suite 200 Santa Clarita, CA 91355 Tel 800 872 6779 ext. 30317 Fax 661 753 0180 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

• Thanks 1