A Tip for When Starting a Viking Roll Call

Dukefan

Many folks only put the name of their ship and the date of the cruise in the title when starting a Roll Call for a Cruise.   Please also include the name of the cruise (i.e Alaska and the Inside Passage or Mediterranean Odyssey or Vikings Homelands, etc.).   There are many of us that like to review the posts from a past or upcoming Roll Call on a cruise we have scheduled to get ideas for our cruise.   By including the cruise name along with the ship and cruise dates, it makes it significantly easier for folks to do this. Thanks to those of you that already follow this practice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Many folks only put the name of their ship and the date of the cruise in the title when starting a Roll Call for a Cruise.   Please also include the name of the cruise (i.e Alaska and the Inside Passage or Mediterranean Odyssey or Vikings Homelands, etc.).   There are many of us that like to review the posts from a past or upcoming Roll Call on a cruise we have scheduled to get ideas for our cruise.   By including the cruise name along with the ship and cruise dates, it makes it significantly easier for folks to do this. Thanks to those of you that already follow this practice.

Thank you Dukefan.  I heartily agree.

Actually, even CruiseCritic recommends the format that includes all you mentioned.  It makes it so much easier to look for specific itineraries you might be interested in reading about.  Just a date and a ship name doesn't tell you much (like the one just posted for Jupiter June 26, 2021).    A good example is:   Viking Jupiter - May 23, 2021 - Homelands.

Another optional addition is the departure and arrival ports which then gives people complete information.

For instance:   Viking Venus - July 12, 2021 - Into the Midnight Sun  London-Bergen

• Like 3

CCWineLover,

I like your CruiseCritic handle as well as your home city.  We are also wine lovers and go on tasting trips regularly from our home in North Carolina.  We have been to Paso Robles for tastings twice in the past five years.  Love the area and winemakers there.  It reminds us of Sonoma thirty years ago and Napa forty five years ago before they got over run with tourist.  I liked your addition to my post.  The "from-to" information in the title would also be useful.   Cheers!

As long as we are talking Roll Call subject lines, let's talk about the correct for the syntax for the date. 

VERY IMPORTANT. Unless it is done correctly, the Roll Call will not be picked up by the "Find My Roll Call" tool, which will lead to duplicate roll calls for the same sailing.

For the FIND MY ROLL CALL tool to properly see the date:

• The preferred format is January 1, 2020 
  • the correct date of your cruise is  always the date given on the Viking website as Day 1 -- not the day you fly out and not the start date of your pre-cruise extension
  •  there must be a space at the beginning of the date and a space at the end, so that it is clearly separated from the rest of the text. If you want to surround the date with dashes or starts, make sure that there is a space separating them from the date itself
  • use the full, unabbreviated name of the month -- no Jan, Feb and no numerical equivalents
  • DO NOT forget the year
  • spacing within the date must correct be -- space after the month, comma-space after the day
  • NO dashes in the date -- January 1-8, 2020 will not work.

For more info:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2594925-how-to-create-a-new-roll-call/

And while we are talking about what to put in the subject line, if the roll calls are already grouped by ship do we need to name the ship at all?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chpal said:

Hi,

I just started a roll call but neglected to add the departure and disembarkation ports in the title.  How do I fix that?

Thanks!

Quick .. While it is still there. Hit the EDIT at the bottom of the post and see if it will let you edit the subject line of the topic.

Edit function is available for about 20 minutes after you post

On 5/31/2020 at 11:37 AM, CCWineLover said:

Thank you Dukefan.  I heartily agree.

Actually, even CruiseCritic recommends the format that includes all you mentioned.  It makes it so much easier to look for specific itineraries you might be interested in reading about.  Just a date and a ship name doesn't tell you much (like the one just posted for Jupiter June 26, 2021).    A good example is:   Viking Jupiter - May 23, 2021 - Homelands.

Another optional addition is the departure and arrival ports which then gives people complete information.

For instance:   Viking Venus - July 12, 2021 - Into the Midnight Sun  London-Bergen

To people who've spent time working with databases and queries of or naming files or folders you want to search for later - whatever you can add - in a compact way - makes perfect sense. 😎

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 8:44 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Quick .. While it is still there. Hit the EDIT at the bottom of the post and see if it will let you edit the subject line of the topic.

Edit function is available for about 20 minutes after you post

CCforum's advanced search option will let you include the content of posts in your search but then the search takes WAY longer to do. The faster mode is to search thread titles. 

7 hours ago, CharTrav said:

To people who've spent time working with databases and queries of or naming files or folders you want to search for later - whatever you can add - in a compact way - makes perfect sense. 😎

Agreed !!  (Also spent lots of time with databases and queries)