Are You Unlikely to Use Your Cruise Credit ?

richstowe

We ,like many, have significant future cruise credits (FCC) . There is a very good possibility it will not get used . In our case the credit must be used in less then 9 months , we would have to fly to cruise , and work schedules are an issue . I'm not complaining . We were fortunate enough to get our money back for our cancelled cruise so this is "found" money but still ....

What about you . Will your FCC likely go to waste ?

I have a large FCC with MSC. Am supposed to be on a Norwegian Fjords cruise right now.

MSC's policy is if you don't use your FCC by Dec 2021, you money will automatically be refunded.

I do plan to use it, but if I can't, I'm not losing anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I will be using mine!  It is nearly 6 grand!!!

Ms. Lois, even if it was only $100, I'd have to check your temperature if you said you wouldn't use it. :classic_tongue:

Edited by Aquahound

Our FCC's are all with Viking and we have 2 years to book a cruise. If not applied to a booking they will issue a refund.

However, we have already booked a River/Ocean Combo in May 2021 and will use the other one in 2022.

@richstowe you ask a good question.  I haven’t received confirmation on mine, but my understanding is I have to book by the end of this year and sail next year or it is forfeit.

No one knows when the ships will be sailing or what ships will sail and what itineraries will hold.  More importantly, if it’s not safe to sail, we won’t be on a ship.  So, it very much depends on what the future holds with this virus whether we will be able to use our FCC or not, sadly.

We have credits with Princess, and we have two bookings that were already in place before this all hit the fan. The first one is for Wester Caribbean next March. I'm doubtful about that one, especially since it would involve long flights to and from. The other one is for March of 2022, Mexican Riviera. No travel by plane for that one, so it's more likely. Too soon to say.

21 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Ms. Lois, even if it was only $100, I'd have to check your temperature if you said you wouldn't use it. :classic_tongue:

LOL.........Hi Paul🙂

I have a cruise booked on Princess for this Fall that has just been cancelled. I can get a cash refund for the cash I've paid to date, but part of my payment was a FCC from another cruise I cancelled a year before. I assume I will get that FCC back, but if it bears its original "sail by" date of December 2020, I will forfeit. 

My hunch is they will offer to extend that FCC for (say) an additional year. But even at that, I will likely forfeit. 😞   

• Like 1

All we have is 2 NCL CruiseNext deposits that are good through early 2024. I'm guessing we'll use them by then, but if not I'm not out a lot of money for them. There is a good chance we will not cruise in 2021, but probably will in 2022 or 2023.

An even bigger problem would be if one or more cruise lines go bankrupt and file for protection under our bankruptcy code.  Those that are waiting for cash refunds would generally be made whole because the credit card companies (for those who live in the USA) would issue refunds under the usual "charge back" guidelines.  But those that opted for FCCs (or were simply given FCCs) would likely get screwed. 

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 25% FCC w/Princess; I've applied it to a TA for May 2021.  I've little confidence that cruise will happen.  

I also have a Sept. 2021 Alaska cruise booked that I could move the FCC to if the TA doesn't go.  I feel a bit more confident about that cruise.

However, I'm 70+ and I must fly to any embarkation port, so I'm trying to take a hopeful wait & see.  (But I REALLY want to go!)

Hi. Does anyone know if we would be more likely to get our FCC returned — if, say, a line went bankrupt — if the FCC were attached to a booking rather than unbooked?  We have a large FCC, but are not interested in using it until safety measures are vastly improved. 

17 hours ago, Lauren and John said:

Hi. Does anyone know if we would be more likely to get our FCC returned — if, say, a line went bankrupt — if the FCC were attached to a booking rather than unbooked?  We have a large FCC, but are not interested in using it until safety measures are vastly improved. 

Hi, not sure.......good question.      I also have a FCC but don't know when I am going to use it up. I am not really

worried that the cruise line is going bankrupt though and am just leaving it as is (at this point). 

On 6/13/2020 at 10:31 PM, Lauren and John said:

The ability to get a cash refund for a FCC/FCV depends on the cruise line. However, if the cruise line goes bankrupt, best guess is you would be added to the list of creditors, regardless of whether the FCC/FCV is attached to a booking or not. After liquidation, at best, you may get pennies on the dollar.

Many countries have consumer protection legislation and agencies for travel providers, but not sure about the U.S.