New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020

mrlevin

Too long to cut and paste; here is link to new "protocols" on Regent:

https://www.rssc.com/HealthSafetyProtocols

Marc

edited to add:  Actually not too long so copying in case not on overseas sites yet.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises is working hand in hand with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and federal governments globally, to develop, implement and continually evolve industry-leading standards that will meet or exceed all requirements for health and safety protocols once those have been finalized by these authorities. These protocols will cover all aspects of onboard and shore-side operations to ensure the continuous well-being of our guests and crew. We are also putting in place a council of leading experts in health and safety to provide ongoing guidance for improving our health and safety measures.

SAFETY ON OUR SHIPS

• SANITIZED & CERTIFIED VIRUS-FREE SHIPS

All ships are disinfected, evaluated, and certified as virus-free when they re-enter service. This service is performed by Sabre BioResponse, the world leader in decontamination services.

• CONTINUOUS SHIP-WIDE DISINFECTION & DAILY FOGGING OF ALL SUITES AND PUBLIC SPACES

Our 24/7 prevention schedule will feature continuous disinfection of public areas and high-traffic touch points as well as daily fogging of all suites, public spaces, and guest corridors. The fogging process utilizes a hospital-grade oxidant that is natural, safe, and non-toxic. Guest suites will receive intensive microbial disinfection daily, which includes fogging of the entire space inclusive of bathrooms and closets.

• ALL-NEW HOSPITAL-GRADE AIR FILTRATION SYSTEM

New, upgraded HVAC systems will incorporate the latest advances to be superior to those found in land-based resorts. Each ship will utilize fresh-air induction and be equipped with the highest-tier HEPA 13 hospital-grade filters for all accommodations and public spaces.

• DEDICATED PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICER

Each ship will have a dedicated Public Health Officer on board, responsible for the oversight of all sanitation and outbreak prevention initiatives. Additionally, they will monitor the day-to-day cleanliness of all public areas and accommodations, maintaining compliance with the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program. They will work hand-in-hand with the ships’ medical team on board, as well as the corporate Public Health and Medical departments shore side.

• CHANGING ITINERARIES

We constantly monitor the global health map and cancel or modify itineraries to impacted areas. We also prevent guests and crew who have recently traveled through high-risk locations from boarding.

SAFETY FOR OUR GUESTS

• EXTENSIVE PRE-EMBARKATION HEALTH SCREENING

All guests will undergo extensive pre-embarkation health screening.

• SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE CHECK-IN

Once it is time to start your voyage, we’ve designed an enhanced, staggered embarkation and check-in process for proper social distancing that also includes new state-of-the-art touchless temperature screening. Embarkation terminals will be sanitized continuously, and terminals will be thoroughly sanitized and, where possible, fogged before and after each embarkation and debarkation.

• NO-TOUCH FOOD SERVICE SHIP-WIDE

No-touch food & beverage service is being implemented across all ships with service staff stationed ship-wide, including Coffee Connection, Pool Grill and all restaurants and lounges. Of course, all guests will be required to engage in frequent handwashing and hand sanitizer will be prominently placed and easily accessible throughout the ship.

• INCREASED SOCIAL DISTANCING THROUGH REDUCED CAPACITY

To provide even more space for responsible social distancing, we have reduced shipboard guest capacity. Reduced seating in entertainment venues, smaller group sizes for shore excursions, culinary classes, and onboard activities, along with increased spacing in dining venues, provide for effective social distancing practices.

• PARTNERS IN PREVENTION

We’re partnering with our local destinations and tour operators to ensure our industry-leading health and sanitation protocols extend to the shoreside experience. Embarkation terminals, tour coaches, and the attractions we visit must meet or exceed the stringent protocols we employ on board to ensure the continued health and safety of our guests and crew.

SAFETY FOR OUR CREW

• THE HIGHEST STANDARDS FOR STAFF AND CREW HEALTH

A healthy staff and crew helps ensure healthy guests. Constant monitoring of staff and crew health includes testing of crew members, temperature checks multiple times per day as well as rigid sanitation and hygiene protocols.

• ENHANCED ONBOARD MEDICAL TEAMS AND HEALTH SERVICES

We are expanding our medical teams to provide an industry-leading Medical Staff-to-Guest ratio on board each of our ships. Enhanced onboard medical centers are abundantly stocked with common prescription medications, remedies, and the latest virus-testing equipment. All medical centers will have the ability to perform FDA- and CDC-approved PCR Point of Care testing. Complimentary consultations and treatments are provided for respiratory illnesses and each ship is equipped with dedicated isolation accommodations should the unlikely need arise.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Note - this is Phase 1 of the protocol...it will change as time goes on and situations warrant.

But this Phase 1 should be "worst" case; i.e., as situations improve (e.g., vaccine) then some of these restrictions should be relaxed.  I'm assuming that they will not publish the decreased capacity so they can claim "fully booked" at a much lower occupancy rate.

Marc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Too long to cut and paste; here is link to new "protocols" on Regent:

https://www.rssc.com/HealthSafetyProtocols

Marc

edited to add:  Actually not too long so copying in case not on overseas sites yet.

It appears Regent is now in compliance with CDC's requirement for establishing protocols in order to resume cruising, once the restrictions are lifted.  This is a positive and highly proactive step on Regent's part.  And it comes as no surprise.

7 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We didn't see an answer to a question many people seem interested in - do guests and staff have to wear masks when in public areas?

NO!  It is not in the protocol.

Also didn't see anything that says the CDC & USCCG actually approved these protocols, or is this the draft or an overview of what NCLH submitted?   My understanding was that the no sail order included developing plans - which need to be approved.

Develop plans with limited reliance on government support

The CDC's new order requires cruise ships within US waters to develop a comprehensive, detailed operational plan approved by CDC and USCG to address the pandemic 'through maritime-focused solutions, including a fully implementable response plan with limited reliance on state, local and federal government support.'

17 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

NO!  It is not in the protocol.

While it may not have been specified in the recently released protocols, the required use of face masks in public areas seems likely, given the current circumstances.  It pretty much goes hand in hand with social distancing, which was clearly noted in the protocols.

According to our Travel Agent, cruiselines have agreed to allow CLIA to represent each cruise line (Cruising Lines International Association) to develop the new Covid 19 Plan to be approved by CDC/USCCG.  

Once approved, cruiselines will implement accordingly.

13 minutes ago, WesW said:

According to our Travel Agent, cruiselines have agreed to allow CLIA to represent each cruise line (Cruising Lines International Association) to develop the new Covid 19 Plan to be approved by CDC/USCCG.  

Once approved, cruiselines will implement accordingly.

So, to be clear - nothing has been approved to date by the CDC/USCG, is that correct?  I wonder why NCLH would post anything other than authoritative guidance at this time.

32 minutes ago, FrequentFloater333 said:

While it may not have been specified in the recently released protocols, the required use of face masks in public areas seems likely, given the current circumstances.  It pretty much goes hand in hand with social distancing, which was clearly noted in the protocols.

You are correct.  And, as we know, Regent has hired a doctor and is working with him as well as the CDC to come up with protocols that exceed what is required.  Just as with the way muster is done on Regent ships, they exceed requirements. Regent is taking this very seriously (unlike a a couple of cruise lines that are already waffling about buffets).  I have no doubt that all protocols will be enforced.  It could end up being like passengers smoking in their suites when it was banned.  You get one warning and the you are disembarked at the next port.

greykitty - Regent would not publish anything that is not approved.  Frank Del Rio gave us an outline during his interviews but, unless something changes, these are what the protocols that will be in effect when cruising resumes.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are correct.  And, as we know, Regent has hired a doctor and is working with him as well as the CDC to come up with protocols that exceed what is required.  Just as with the way muster is done on Regent ships, they exceed requirements. Regent is taking this very seriously (unlike a a couple of cruise lines that are already waffling about buffets).  I have no doubt that all protocols will be enforced.  It could end up being like passengers smoking in their suites when it was banned.  You get one warning and the you are disembarked at the next port.

greykitty - Regent would not publish anything that is not approved.  Frank Del Rio gave us an outline during his interviews but, unless something changes, these are what the protocols that will be in effect when cruising resumes.

Then why is there no reference to either the CDC or the USCG?  I mean, if I had gained formal approval from those very important agencies, I'd be listing that in giant letters at the very top of my joyous announcement.  At the very least, I'd have a citation stating that these protocols are approved by those agencies.  

Oddly as well - I can't seem to google any news stories about CDC/USCG approving any cruise ship protocols, as of today.  I'd expect a cross reference somewhere.

This May 29 article is the closest I could find to a current status report of how the big cruise lines and the CDC are working toward protocols.  I believe it's been posted on other CC forums as well.  Pretty interesting, I thought, including the quote from the CDC rep.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242945396.html

7 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Then why is there no reference to either the CDC or the USCG?  I mean, if I had gained formal approval from those very important agencies, I'd be listing that in giant letters at the very top of my joyous announcement.  At the very least, I'd have a citation stating that these protocols are approved by those agencies.  

Oddly as well - I can't seem to google any news stories about CDC/USCG approving any cruise ship protocols, as of today.  I'd expect a cross reference somewhere.

Regent does not tend to mention the CDC, or CLIA in their literature.  When the CDC approves the resumption of cruising from the U.S., we’ll know that the cruise line protocols have been approved.  Regent likely has tentative approval but everything is subject to change when it comes to Covid-19.  

Interesting summary.  I presume it will evolve further.  Particularly with place-holder-like statements like this one, that has no detail whatsoever about what this health screening would entail: 

EXTENSIVE PRE-EMBARKATION HEALTH SCREENING

All guests will undergo extensive pre-embarkation health screening.

Another one that seems very interesting to me.  Sounds like prices will skyrocket:

INCREASED SOCIAL DISTANCING THROUGH REDUCED CAPACITY

To provide even more space for responsible social distancing, we have reduced shipboard guest capacity. Reduced seating in entertainment venues, smaller group sizes for shore excursions, culinary classes, and onboard activities, along with increased spacing in dining venues, provide for effective social distancing practices.

Another price-sensitive addition would be this; more staff, more equipment, more space:

ENHANCED ONBOARD MEDICAL TEAMS AND HEALTH SERVICES

We are expanding our medical teams to provide an industry-leading Medical Staff-to-Guest ratio on board each of our ships. Enhanced onboard medical centers are abundantly stocked with common prescription medications, remedies, and the latest virus-testing equipment. All medical centers will have the ability to perform FDA- and CDC-approved PCR Point of Care testing. Complimentary consultations and treatments are provided for respiratory illnesses and each ship is equipped with dedicated isolation accommodations should the unlikely need arise.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

"To provide even more space for responsible social distancing, we have reduced shipboard guest capacity."

So...if this is still in place in April, 2021, on our Tokyo RT which has been sold out for almost two years, I wonder how they are going to choose who doesn't get to go???

• Like 1

taxare: 

We are on the next segment--pre-cruise three-day stay at Tokyo; then Explorer cruise via Russia and Alaska to Vancouver, B.C.  That segment is, and has likewise been at capacity for over a year.  So, share your concern as to who will not  "make the cut" to allow additional space for medical staff and a quarantine area. 

But, frankly, given the relatively-low possibility of a viable vaccine by next-April being available to, literally, billions of people; and the Japanese Govt.'s total focus on "guaranteeing" a COVID-19-free July, 2021 Olympic Games environment--doubt either yours, or our segments will "go".   The last-thing Japanese authorities will want to risk is having any foreign-flag cruise ship visit a Japanese Port shortly prior to July 2021 and have either passengers or crew exhibit any adverse symptoms. 

We still have a few months before having to make a decision as to final payment.   (For context--two of our 2020 Regent cruises have already been canceled.)   My wife, a retired R.N. with significant experience at a King County, WA Community hospital in matters related to public health, has given me the mandate:  NO Vaccine; NO cruise.   Therefore, we may defer to 2022.

Stay safe.

GOARMY!

34 minutes ago, taxare said:

So...if this is still in place in April, 2021, on our Tokyo RT which has been sold out for almost two years, I wonder how they are going to choose who doesn't get to go???

Either there will be vaccine, and they can go back to full capacity, or else they are counting on many people to cancel since there is not a vaccine.  Many may cancel before final payment anyway.  It is hard to imagine, but could happen, that they don't get enough cancellations.  Then if they are serious about keeping capacity down, they will need to bribe people to cruise at a later time.  I think there is some precedent for that?

5 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

The last-thing Japanese authorities will want to risk is having any foreign-flag cruise ship visit a Japanese Port shortly prior to July 2021 and have either passengers or crew exhibit any adverse symptoms. 

If Japan refuses cruise ships until after the Olympics, it sounds like they are going to use the Olympics to "test" the safety of huge tourist crowds.  I'm not sure that would be any safer than a cruise ship.  I am also scheduled to be cruising Japan in March 2021 (on another line), and if Japan won't allow it, it will definitely have an impact.

Keep in mind that the vaccine (if/when it is developed) will likely not be 100% effective.  Therefore, cruise lines need to keep up the sanitation indefinitely.

We feel that a cruise ship will be safer than most places in the U.S. because protocols will be strictly followed.  Our Japan cruise is in October 2021 so it will be after the Olympics.   

Susie:  As to precedent for "bribing" folks to forego an-already scheduled cruise--

You betcha.  Voyager.  January-February 2014 extended cruise beginning at Sydney.  Ended with add-on from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, and return.  We scheduled this cruise with our dear friends and my brother and his wife in mid-2013.  Everything paid-for, including several-days' early arrival at Sydney; three days additional post-cruise stay at Kuala Lumpur, and so-on. 

Early January.  Received first notification through our TA that Regent had, obviously, over-booked this cruise.  Great itinerary, so no surprise.  But, cash offer to defer.  The first offer was total refund, of course; credit for that cruise; and $10,000.00 cold-hard cash.  No.  As the days progressed--that cash offer kept escalating.  

I posted this saga several years ago on another Thread now probably lost to history.  The cash offer finally came to about $23,000.00.  That last, best bribe was received about two days before we departed SEATAC, via air, via San Francisco, for Sydney.  Aboard that flight were our friends, who were presented with a similar offer.  My brother and his wife later joined us at Sydney.  Wonderful cruise.  Full ship. 

While aboard, over cocktails before dinner, we, from time to time, cogitated as to what the breaking-point, cash-wise, would have been to take the money and run to a similar itinerary offering for the next year.  If it had just been my wife and me--we would have taken the offer.  The other couples felt the same way.  However, just too complicated for three couples to reschedule for the next year, on another cruise.  So--we deferred.   

I am sure Regent found others willing and able to take the offer. 

GOARMY!

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Keep in mind that the vaccine (if/when it is developed) will likely not be 100% effective.  Therefore, cruise lines need to keep up the sanitation indefinitely.

If the majority of people are immune, the virus will have much more difficulty finding a host, so even those for whom a vaccine was not effective will have some protection from herd immunity.  And we will hopefully have more effective treatment options as well, making the mortality risk lower.  We won't see the "pandemic" level of transmission.  It will probably become more like the flu in that regard, unless we are all very lucky and it disappears like SARS-1 and MERS.  It will probably still be a concern, but not at the current level.

Of course attention to sanitation and infection control is always a good idea, and will help cut back on the flu and other infections as well.  So one could argue that this is something that should be continued indefinitely, and also that it should already have been in place before this hit us.  But I suspect that once the immediate crisis has past, human nature and budgetary concerns will take over and any extraordinary measures might be scaled back to something more like existed a year ago.