A Marina PH2 question

GeorgiaPeach51

Well, we took a deep breath today and booked Marina, South America, February 17, 2021.  

We booked a PH2, cabin 11008, port side, forward.  There are others to choose from.  We thought deck 11 would be safe with cabins above and below.

It seems close to the bridge....wondering if anyone has any input regarding our choice?

We previously had booked for the first time on Insignia for this August but cancelled due to this wicked virus.  At that time we had three cruises booked.  One on Celebrity, our first on Cunard and the Oceania one.  Of the three, Oceania gave our money back first.  Celebrity just this week, and Cunard has apparently fallen off the planet cause it’s crickets from them.

Thanks in advance for any cabin suggestions you might have!  We feel quietly encouraged to have a cruise booked.  Something to look forward to in these tough times.

9 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Well, we took a deep breath today and booked Marina, South America, February 17, 2021.  

We booked a PH2, cabin 11008, port side, forward.  There are others to choose from.  We thought deck 11 would be safe with cabins above and below.

It seems close to the bridge....wondering if anyone has any input regarding our choice?

We previously had booked for the first time on Insignia for this August but cancelled due to this wicked virus.  At that time we had three cruises booked.  One on Celebrity, our first on Cunard and the Oceania one.  Of the three, Oceania gave our money back first.  Celebrity just this week, and Cunard has apparently fallen off the planet cause it’s crickets from them.

Thanks in advance for any cabin suggestions you might have!  We feel quietly encouraged to have a cruise booked.  Something to look forward to in these tough times.

We prefer PH2s on both the R and O ships for the same reason.  We are sensitive to noise, and the location of PH2s tend to be between decks with cabins and are more protected from floor or ceiling noises from public areas like the pool and  loud activity areas.

Hi there,

We always book PH2.  I would recommend deck 10 over deck 11.  The pool deck is above deck 11 and it cantilevers over deck 11 obstructing the upward view.  Many people don’t mind that but we like to see the sky.  Deck 10 PH’s are not tucked under the overhang.

Also, avoid the forward cabins or either deck 10 or 11.  The bridge does block the view forward on either deck.  We were in 10005 once and it was very disappointing.  The PH’s were all booked so we could not change staterooms.

We are on Marina right after you sailing from Rio up the Amazon then back to Miami.  Next year we are on her again going around the horn as she is going to Antarctica, I believe for the first time.

I hope this helps!  Enjoy!!!

Oh, my, great info to have, TMPTB!  Yikes.  We prefer the port side but I think the only other two are across from the stairs and elevators..on 10....10028 and 10030.  But I think I would prefer that to looking forward to the bridge and not seeing the sky.

will give a call to O tomorrow to see if they were hiding something else!  🤔😀. Thanks so much for your response.

GP

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Oh, my, great info to have, TMPTB!  Yikes.  We prefer the port side but I think the only other two are across from the stairs and elevators..on 10....10028 and 10030.  But I think I would prefer that to looking forward to the bridge and not seeing the sky.

will give a call to O tomorrow to see if they were hiding something else!  🤔😀. Thanks so much for your response.

GP

We have never found staterooms close the stairs or elevators to be a problem, but we've never had one exactly at the elevator/stairs vestibule.

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

We have never found staterooms close the stairs or elevators to be a problem, but we've never had one exactly at the elevator/stairs vestibule.

Our cabin on our March cruise on Riviera (so same ship layout as Marina) was exactly across from the aft elevators.  There absolutely were no noise issues at all, and it certainly was very convenient for all dining.  

2 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Our cabin on our March cruise on Riviera (so same ship layout as Marina) was exactly across from the aft elevators.  There absolutely were no noise issues at all, and it certainly was very convenient for all dining.  

We too prefer the cabins near the aft elevator - very convenient to most dining venues.

Less movement than the front in rough seas as well.

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We are booked on the 1/28 cruise just before youRs in a PH2. Deck 10 for us, dead center port side.

We don’t like the obstructed view on Deck 11, nor the noise from above.

If you are forward on 11 you are under the Oceania suites, which is not going to be a problem for noise, the overhang is another situation altogether, but not a problem for many of us. 

Many thanks to all who posted.  We decided the combination of the huge overhang and being able to read the name tags of the officers on the bridge was not appealing, so thank you to the posters who gave us that insight.

We moved this morning to 10028, port side, across from the stairs, but a cabin down from the elevator lobby.  A few reviews made us think any noise at the stairs would be more easily dealt with than noise from people waiting for and getting off the elevator.  I will let you know what we think!

Excited for our first Oceania cruise and for having that little carrot out there to look forward to.....thanks to all who responded.  You were very helpful!

GP

We have been in 10028 a few times.  No noise at all.  Honestly, we always book close to stairs and elevator.  The ship is much more convenient when close to elevator and stairs and not having to walk up and down a long hall every time you need to run to the room.  Also, another bonus is that the laundry is right down the hall.  Comes in handy for longer sailings as O is notorious for taking a very long time to return laundry.  Enjoy!

I have seen complaints (or maybe just questions) here about being close to the elevator or stairs.  When we have been in those locations it was never a problem.

It's true that some people think they need to talk loudly, no matter what the time of day, when they are "chatting" with each other while they walk up/down stairs or wait for an elevator.

We live in Brooklyn Heights, a very quite residential neighborhood in NYC (aka Brooklyn).  Most of the time it's extremely quiet at night. We have a duplex apartment on the first and second floors.  When I sleep on the first floor sometimes the students who know live in a nearby dorm -- after a night of drinking -- will walk down the street, loudly talking to each other.  This is very rare but it DOES happen.  That noise is much louder than what I ever heard on an Oceania ship, even when near the suspect locations.

We also never had a problem when located near to a laundry room, not that anyone has asked recently ...

On 6/1/2020 at 7:09 PM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We have been in 11010 quite a few times and have loved it always.  No noise and good location.  Every time we book a PH we try to get that cabin or 11008 if our first choice not available.  PH in mid ship could be pretty noisy as they are under pool where the chairs are always moving or the Terrace where they move the tables pretty early in the morning.  11008 a very good   choice in my opinion.  Happy sailing and stay safe. 

On 6/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

GP

One deck makes a world of difference...

Sailed Marina 2 years ago to French Polynesia in 10030 .... absolutely superb cabin and super duper convenient. It's front door is between the 2 openings to the elevators and stairs, thus very little foot traffic as most people either head aft or forward. The best part is the view as the overhang of top deck barely interferes at all... 

IMG_2381.thumb.JPG.fe878efdbdc84ada5b19f36c043ad701.JPG

Sailed in 11063 Rio - Buenos Aires just this February 2020. Superb cabin inside, however the exterior site lines were ruined, especially for photos. I found to take decent  photos I had to basically almost lie down on the ground. I won't book on deck 11 in the future.

Photo below obviously is railing level at the belly button, how about when you're standing up another 2-3ft higher?

IMG_5340.thumb.JPG.b274cbae7f1579e0b347a88dbb441650.JPG

And even from inside the cabin, the overhang gets in the way in my opinion

IMG_4681.thumb.JPG.29d970a702b29931b71ed0c2a6435391.JPG

Thanks, pinotlover for responding!

Hoopster, you are my hero, for finding those photos and posting them.  So kind.

I showed them to my husband and we are both very happy we changed.  That overhang would drive me nuts.  So thankful to all you generous souls for responding so we could make an informed choice!