Pan Pacific Vancouver denied our ccancellation request

CineGraphic

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

With all cruises cancelled by the government, one would think the hotel would be more understanding, but according to Hotwire, our cancellation request was denied by the property.

Was it prepaid? If full payment wasn't made you can always dispute it with your credit card company. Given its Hotwire, and that you most likely prepaid in full, barring insurance that covered it, you might be out of luck on this one. 

In most cases they would be obligated to refund you if they couldn't provide the services you paid for, but thats most likely not the case here. The cruise you were traveling for is cancelled, but in their eyes theres nothing stopping you from still staying at the hotel as the airlines will be running, the border will most likely be open at that point etc. If the Canadian border doesn't open before then you may have some recourse. 

Personally I hate booking prepaid, non cancellable rates at hotels as I like the flexibility to change or take advantage of more favorable rates as the date of travel gets closer. The often modest higher price for a more flexible rate is worth it to me and booking directly with the hotel often gives them the ability to make exceptions on things like cancellation. I admittedly very rarely, if ever, take out cancellation insurance but it would have really helped here. 

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

With all cruises cancelled by the government, one would think the hotel would be more understanding, but according to Hotwire, our cancellation request was denied by the property.

I didn’t get any love from German Rail or an expensive hotel in Milan either.  That’s why I have travel insurance.

2 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Was it prepaid? If full payment wasn't made you can always dispute it with your credit card company. Given its Hotwire, and that you most likely prepaid in full, barring insurance that covered it, you might be out of luck on this one. 

In most cases they would be obligated to refund you if they couldn't provide the services you paid for, but thats most likely not the case here. The cruise you were traveling for is cancelled, but in their eyes theres nothing stopping you from still staying at the hotel as the airlines will be running, the border will most likely be open at that point etc. If the Canadian border doesn't open before then you may have some recourse. 

Personally I hate booking prepaid, non cancellable rates at hotels as I like the flexibility to change or take advantage of more favorable rates as the date of travel gets closer. The often modest higher price for a more flexible rate is worth it to me and booking directly with the hotel often gives them the ability to make exceptions on things like cancellation. I admittedly very rarely, if ever, take out cancellation insurance but it would have really helped here. 

Yes, it was pre-paid, and yes, I bought the additional insurance, however in the fine print it excludes pandemics.

Since my flights were booked with Princess, they are cancelled too. Hotwire says that the hotel's current cancellation policy only covers up to the end of June, our reservation is in October, so they told me to try again. 

I've attached a few pages from the insurance coverage detailing their exclusions.

Hotwire alianz insurance coverage exclusions.pdf

Maybe when October rolls around you may get a different outcome.  Unfortunately, that probably means the US/Canada border is still closed.

Have you sent a sternly-worded letter to the Pan Pacific yet?

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I wonder if you would have had better success getting your reservation cancelled if you had booked with the hotel directly.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Today someone associated with the Pan Pacific corporate Facebook page reached out to me via Facebook Messenger, asking for my reservation details, so hopefully they will take care of this. From what I understand, Hotwire still has my funds and will only release them back to me if the property approves my cancellation request.

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Today someone associated with the Pan Pacific corporate Facebook page reached out to me via Facebook Messenger, asking for my reservation details, so hopefully they will take care of this. From what I understand, Hotwire still has my funds and will only release them back to me if the property approves my cancellation request.

You know, that’s way more than I would have expected and reflects well on the PP.  I know you haven’t got your money back but it’s certainly a far cry from being told nope, so sorry, you’re out of luck.  Good for you.

15 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You know, that’s way more than I would have expected and reflects well on the PP.  I know you haven’t got your money back but it’s certainly a far cry from being told nope, so sorry, you’re out of luck.  Good for you.

Let's be honest.....corporations hate to look bad on social media. I didn't trash them, I simply stated that Hotwire requested a cancellation on my behalf and the the property refused the request.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Let's be honest.....corporations hate to look bad on social media. I didn't trash them, I simply stated that Hotwire requested a cancellation on my behalf and the the property refused the request.

Its also an industry thats reeling form immense losses and I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck to their guns. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You know, that’s way more than I would have expected and reflects well on the PP...

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Its also an industry thats reeling form immense losses and I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck to their guns. 

I would agree with both of these points.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:29 PM, d9704011 said:

On 6/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, princeton123211 said:

Just to update everyone. Today I received an email from the hotel stating that they've approved the cancellation, stating that they're initial denial was not an "outright refusal", but that they were busy dealing with more recent reservations/cancellations. I called Hotwire, read them the email, they put me on hold while they called the hotel, and the refund is now being processed. 1-2 days for the processing and another 5-7 days for the bank to post the credit.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Just to update everyone.

Well, that turned out pretty good.  Congratulations on the results from your perseverance.  I’m anticipating a similar struggle with a hotel in Milan in September but I’m thinking my travel insurance will be a more appropriate means of addressing that.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I’m thinking my travel insurance will be a more appropriate means of addressing that.

I paid for insurance on this Hotwire deal too, but the fine print excludes pandemics and the like. The Hotwire customer service agent offered to give me a phone number to try and get my insurance premium refunded as well, but I declined. A $9 loss is much easier to accept than a $200 loss.

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I paid for insurance on this Hotwire deal too, but the fine print excludes pandemics and the like.

I think the group insurance plan I have will cover me.  They’ve sent out quite a number of communiques over the last three months and I ought to be alright.  I certainly hope so, the reservation is worth about $2,800 to me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Just to update everyone. Today I received an email from the hotel stating that they've approved the cancellation, stating that they're initial denial was not an "outright refusal", but that they were busy dealing with more recent reservations/cancellations. I called Hotwire, read them the email, they put me on hold while they called the hotel, and the refund is now being processed. 1-2 days for the processing and another 5-7 days for the bank to post the credit.

I am glad that this has worked out well for you.  My stays at the Pan Pacific have always been pleasant with customer service being excellent, thoughtful, and helpful.  It's good to know such service continues.

• Like 2

Although I didn't expect it, I was given a full refund of my post cruise hotel in Seattle and airfare.  I booked through Expedia and I know that no one had to give me a refund.   The air was with Alaska airlines but booked through Expedia.  I am very satisfied but in retrospect, I would probably book through a site next time separately for the hotel that has free cancellation.  I am happy that you are getting your refund.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:06 PM, princeton123211 said:

I couldn't agree more. Booking directly with the hotel always works better for me. Not worth it the cheaper rates. Sometimes, they turn out more expensive...

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, You're business dealings is with Hotwire. You are Hotwires customer. The hotels customer is Hotwire.

I'm glad it worked out for you this time.

I learned this lesson the hard way also. I still use these middle person web sites to research, but then I go direct to the source.

For the few $$ in savings, when things go TU,,,, it's much much better to pay the extra few $$ and be able to deal directly with the proprietor.

• Like 4