If refund...did you get a confirmation?

CHuntMD

Just checking to see if anyone got any type of confirmation that your in the process of getting a refund? So far no one in our group of 8 for a Aug cruise has received a email/letter. I was finally able to log into myvikingjourney.com this am (locked booking for the last 2 weeks) and everything is gone (as expected) but it would have been nive to see some sort of acknowledgement that a refund if in the works. There is a 12 June 20 deadline.

CEH in MD

Just checking to see if anyone got any type of confirmation that your in the process of getting a refund? So far no one in our group of 8 for a Aug cruise has received a email/letter. I was finally able to log into myvikingjourney.com this am (locked booking for the last 2 weeks) and everything is gone (as expected) but it would have been nive to see some sort of acknowledgement that a refund if in the works. There is a 12 June 20 deadline.

CEH in MD

We did not get an email confirmation, just kept checking our bank statement and saw the deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

4 hours ago, CHuntMD said:

CEH in MD

If you are worried, call your TA or Viking agent. They can confirm that you are in queue for a refund and not a voucher.

We received a letter giving us the choice of a voucher or a refund, mentioned  at the bottom of the email with a special phone number to call if we preferred a refund. We called and it took about a month for a full refund to arrive in our credit card account. 

17 hours ago, Krisval said:

We did not get an email confirmation, just kept checking our bank statement and saw the deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My cruise to Alaska was cancelled.  Called the next day for a refund and was told I would receive confirmation via e mail in 24 hours.  A week passed and still no confirmation.  I called Viking and told them.  They sent an e mail right away and it was just my original invoice showing Cancelled.  I was told my refund would take 45 days.  I haven't received anything yet but it has only been a week.

Hope this helps

Viking cancelled our July 28 cruise and when I called on Saturday to request the refund, the phone rep processed the request but said he could not send a confirmation email, but could send an email confirming the cruise was cancelled which we did receive.  He also stated the refund would take between 30 and 45 days to receive.

12 hours ago, flashfearless said:

Yes, but you must call first to make wishes known.  I was surprised this morning with a refund in less than a week!

Is Viking rolling in junk bond dough? Must be some reason they aren't dragging their feet lately.

25 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Is Viking rolling in junk bond dough? Must be some reason they aren't dragging their feet lately.

Possibly, but from my observations here, a majority of folks are taking 125% and rebooking now or holding out to rebook later.

They certainly are not dragging their feet!   We opted for the 100 % cash for the cruise we cancelled just yesterday and today we have the money credited to our account.  One day turnaround.  So there is cash in Viking somewhere!

48 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

They certainly are not dragging their feet!   We opted for the 100 % cash for the cruise we cancelled just yesterday and today we have the money credited to our account.  One day turnaround.  So there is cash in Viking somewhere!

Not necessarily a good sign. That cash is probably costing them dearly.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We cancelled our cruise late on a Thursday and had our refunded credited on Saturday as well. Did you get the whole amount? We are still short $1,000.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, stretchcruz said:

We cancelled our cruise late on a Thursday and had our refunded credited on Saturday as well. Did you get the whole amount? We are still short $1,000.

Two things.  Regarding the refund.  The $500pp deposit that had initially been on our credit card is still outstanding, but I was expecting that.  The big amount $15K that had been paid out of our checking account to get the 3.3% discount is what came back in one day.  I'm not worried about the credit card refund - it will come.

Second.  We got a detailed confirmation receipt of the cancelled cruise and amounts that would be refunded to each source.  We also got the confirmation that the $100pp penalty would be given back as a FCC.

I was completely surprised and a totally satisfied with the swiftness and documentation of the cancellation process.

We got a refund to our checking account within5 days for full amount minus the $100 pp for one cruise. 
    For the second cruise we were booked we got back our deposit on our credit card same tome minus the $100 pp. 

very quickly done by Viking and our cruisers were not cancelled. We just decided to cancel. 

I wonder if all of this happening so quickly now is because while we were all begging them to "Come on already, just cancel the darned cruises; you know you are going to have to, why the hold up?" Viking was busy reviewing all of our accounts, preparing vouchers to issue as part of the cancellation e-mails, and otherwise preparing for the onslaught.

IMHO, way to go Viking! 

• Like 2

Viking cancelled our August 24, 2020, 78 day cruise the first of June when they cancelled all of July and August cruises.  They emailed our travel agent and we also received an email. Our travel agent notified Viking that day we wanted a refund. We did not get any future information, but all of the money was in our checking account 6 days later.  Thank you Viking. 

Our TA handled our cancelation in May. The only confirmation I received was from her. The payment I paid direct  from my bank account was refunded in 3 days to my bank account. The credit card payment for the Drinks package was received the next week and the initial deposit from a now defunct CC I received last week by check from Viking. I am totally paid back less the $200 cancelation fee that was converted to a FCC. 

Edited by terrydtx

• 2 weeks later...

We canceled our April 2021 Southeast Asia cruise(final payment Sept 2020) on June 4, Viking posted a refund of $800 on June 9, but it wasn't posted to the credit card until June 16th.  We got our FVC vouchers, $100 each on June 22.  Very quick since it was a normal cancellation process.  For the canceled April cruise back in March, we were part of the first wave and it took a little while to get the FCV vouchers, issued on April 17th for cruises canceled by Viking March 11th.  

We had canceled a November Athens Oceania cruise on April 16th, again a normal cancellation process & we didn't get our $1500 deposit until early June.  

• 1 month later...

It sounds like there's a "luck of the draw" in how Viking processes refunds.

The NY Times had an article a few weeks ago about how the cruise lines process refunds, and also noted the wide range of outcomes.  Sometimes it moves quickly, sometimes it doesn't.

With the split between folks choosing a future cruise voucher and others selecting refunds, I recollect that article mentioned the lines have 18-24 months of cash at current burn rates