‘ 7 Reasons You Should Delay a 2021 Cruise ‘.....

PEIpair

2 minutes ago, RickT said:

Title is incorrect.  The video is titled 7 Reasons You Should Delay Booking A 2021 Cruise Now

So the message is to wait until things shake out before booking?  Sorry, I'm not in a position where I can watch the video at the moment.

Nothing I've haven't seen discussed and/or theorized on the boards already.

1. Some cruise lines might not make it.

2. Itineraries will most likely change.

3. Prices Will Fall

4. Related Costs Will Rise (ie: gratuities, tour prices, transport to/from port)

5. Cruising Rules and Process changes are unknown (ie: screening, refund schedule, reinstating medical forms for seniors, etc.)

6. Access to Facilities (ie: how things work in general on board: theater capacity, gym capacity, swimming pool/bar capacity)

7. Travel Insurance (ie: will not cover Covid 19, Pandemic) Harder to obtain/more costly for older passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Appreciate the list and agree...much of this has been brought up on CC.  It's why we've waited to book anything.  I think reviews from those initial sailings are going to give some good insight about how the over all cruising experience will be...

Here is a summary of the video on the 7 reasons to delay booking a 2021 cruise.

1 minute ago, anna5545 said:

Nothing I've haven't seen discussed and/or theorized on the boards already.

1. Some cruise lines might not make it.

2. Itineraries will most likely change.

3. Prices Will Fall

4. Related Costs Will Rise (ie: gratuities, tour prices, transport to/from port)

5. Cruising Rules and Process changes are unknown (ie: screening, refund schedule, reinstating medical forms for seniors, etc.)

6. Access to Facilities (ie: how things work in general on board: theater capacity, gym capacity, swimming pool/bar capacity)

7. Travel Insurance (ie: will not cover Covid 19, Pandemic) Harder to obtain/more costly for older passengers.

Thank you as I was going to post it as well.  The funny thing is that the beautiful cruise ships and scenery in the video really got my I-need-to-book-a-cruise-now juices flowing!

Equinox photo.JPG

• Like 1

An excellent summary of the current state of affairs and the probable impact on 2021 bookings. I found it balanced and very neutral in tone, quite different than so many of the posts on CC. While it may not cover any new points for consideration, it covers them in a clear, concise and well packaged video. 

Thanks for sharing @PEIpair.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, RickT said:

Title is incorrect.  The video is titled 7 Reasons You Should Delay Booking A 2021 Cruise Now

Thank you for the correction.

I apologize. Had just posted it with the title as sent by the TA and I should have

double-checked.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

An excellent summary of the current state of affairs and the probable impact on 2021 bookings. I found it balanced and very neutral in tone, quite different than so many of the posts on CC. While it may not cover any new points for consideration, it covers them in a clear, concise and well packaged video. 

Precisely.

And the only reason I posted it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anna5545 said:

3. Prices Will Fall

I wouldn't count on it.  Cruise lines have taken on massive debt to survive the shutdown and they will undoubtedly have to reduce occupancy on future sailings.  Both of these factors will necessitate substantially increased fares in order to return to profitability.  Might there be some targeted discounting to encourage bookings?  Possibly, but I don't expect this to be widespread or long lived.  Even now we don't see aggressive across the board discounting to encourage bookings.  Just my opinion, but I think betting on future prices to fall is a losing bet.

• Like 4

Disclaimer since I didn't read the article!

But one reason NOT to delay booking for 2021 would be if passenger capacity is limited. With lift & shift 2021 cruises are being booked now and in tracking our 9/9/2021 Millennium sailing, cabin availability is decreasing daily. If ships sail half full waiting might lock you out. If prices do go down, you can still get the lower fare prior to final payment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I wouldn't count on it.  Cruise lines have taken on massive debt to survive the shutdown and they will undoubtedly have to reduce occupancy on future sailings.  Both of these factors will necessitate substantially increased fares in order to return to profitability.  Might there be some targeted discounting to encourage bookings?  Possibly, but I don't expect this to be widespread or long lived.  Even now we don't see aggressive across the board discounting to encourage bookings.  Just my opinion, but I think betting on future prices to fall is a losing bet.

There are strong arguments to be made on both sides. If Celebrity is willing to take a slower return to profitability while trying to rebuild its client base, prices may be reduced. Conversely, if they want to reduce their debt as soon as possible, but at the risk of losing clients, prices may well remain inflated. I'm not convinced that Celebrity knows yet which approach to take, as there are too many issues still to be decided. JMO

• Like 2

Yes it’s one a saw a while ago, I would agree that if we had not already booked I would certainly be holding on until later this year to book. Other than that it’s still a lot of guesswork.

January/February is when we would normally cruise but it's not worth the hassle this year. Too many unknowns. I'm not even convinced cruising with proceed by then anyway. Instead we booked a fully refundable resort, don't have to pay until arrival and will book flexible air tickets when the time comes. More expensive than the cruise cabins I usually book, but it's a way easier option. 

I've seen this before.  I think we can make our own decisions.  I have re-booked three of the cruises from 2020 that I really wanted to take and which were unusual itineraries.  All three are close to being sold out for 2021.  So, in my view, waiting for those was not a good strategy.  Your view may be different.  If you're just talking a run-of-the-mill 7-night Caribbean cruise, his strategy may well be viable.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 4

If capacity is forced down for a few weeks  and demand is up as cruises start then theres no reason prices will fall --- If we're back to norm by 2021 then theres less reason prices will fall (in fact its a reason to take advantage of any low deposit or switch/price gurantees now) - the rest is pretty much how longs a piece of string - clickbait - roll the bones guesswork..

I will watch for myself what happens when the industry begins to restart then choose to cancel or move dates based on how the experience looks.. 

I have been suggesting all these issues, and more, over the past 5 weeks.  Much of it falling on deaf ears, which is sad.  Even though I understand and share the desire to travel, one much be realistic regarding the venues.

Cruise lines will keep prices as high as possible, to include limiting capacity or placing "almost sold out" notices on cruises.  They have a need to generate both interest and revenue, and the easiest way is to generate artificial demand.  Once booked (hooked) the only way out is via FCC.  Don;t forget the increased "nickel and dimming" when on board.

Cruise line front offices don't have a clue as to what will be actually required in 2021 and later.  The closest I have read was the recent statement from NCL on how they see cruising changing.  Reflective of these 7 comments.  

Don't forget, you are playing on their turf.  They own the rules.  They can change itineraries and prices and rules/procedures on a whim and you have no recourse (like that FCC instead of refund?).  Cruise lines will be doing everything they can to take and keep your money.  Now more critical than ever after their $billion loss per month from cessation of cruising.

"New normal" for the future of cruising.  

All of this has been discussed here previously, a You Tuber  just wants to show off with his shirt. See you at sea soon.

Regarding prices, I am seeing the opposite, all my cruises are early bird bookings, and the opposite is happening, prices are increasing frequently. Also with so many cancellations in 2020, it is creating high demand in 2021 causing prices to rise and availability is being limited on popular cruises.

4 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Once booked (hooked) the only way out is via FCC.  Don;t forget the increased "nickel and dimming" when on board.

That's not true.  One can cancel prior to final payment and get the deposit back.  At least in the US.  Post final payment, it is still an option to request a refund as opposed to a FCC.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 12:33 PM, Fouremco said:

Thanks for sharing @PEIpair.

I may get my hand slapped for saying this because I think the video host is a TA, but I have watched several of his cruise videos on YouTube and found them to be helpful, thoughtful and well done.

He doesn't relay any earth shattering info for experienced cruisers like the good folk on these boards 😉, but I have recommended his videos to newbies.

We were researching river cruises about a year ago and watched his river cruise videos, showed us some positives and negatives about different river cruise lines that we didn't even think to consider

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

My Celebrity 1/30/21 cruise out of San Juan already changed the ports to be visited !! Out were Curaçao and Bonaire and in were Barbados and St Lucia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yet it still includes Aruba, if I'm looking at the right cruise. Very strange. I would have thought that they would drop it too if they are going to drop 2/3 of the ABCs and add something else from the Western Caribbean.

I am happy that folks are delaying making cruise reservations.   I have been able to book my favorite stateroom/suites.   If they have to limit the number of passengers, I already have my place booked so hopefully I won’t be one of the passengers denied boarding.