NCL Survey - Loyalty program

fshagan

I received a survey from NCL for their loyalty program, which I rate as very poor and not a factor in choosing to sail with them over any other cruise line. What was "interesting" is the number of questions about a "paid add on" to the loyalty program with an annual or monthly fee to increase the benefits of the program.

It's not hard to read into this program as another revenue choice for the line. With the poor performance of the Latitudes program I wonder how many cruisers would pay extra for what amounts to a real loyalty program. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, fshagan said:

I received a survey from NCL for their loyalty program, which I rate as very poor and not a factor in choosing to sail with them over any other cruise line. What was "interesting" is the number of questions about a "paid add on" to the loyalty program with an annual or monthly fee to increase the benefits of the program.

It's not hard to read into this program as another revenue choice for the line. With the poor performance of the Latitudes program I wonder how many cruisers would pay extra for what amounts to a real loyalty program. 

I would pay nothing extra. It looks like is another move by Del Rio to keep isolating former loyal customers. I hope i get that survey. 🙂

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

dont they nickel and dime their passengers enough without thinking about an add on. it's bad enough when the free at sea ends up with service charges. we are platinum plus, and the only real useful thing i use on the cruise 1s the $50 plus 15% off on shore excursions, and even then, in a number of ports i hire a taxi.

• Like 5

I suppose it would depend on what they were charging and what you get in return.  But probably not - unless it gives me a better discount on my base fare, excursions or service charges.  And while they are at it, give those of us who don't drink another option over the booze.

• Like 6

We are Plat Plus.  It should be just the opposite, making the program better by adding benefits to encourage us to book.  A booking discount (full time vs. once in awhile promo) would be nice.

Besides, if you go beyond the quota on your free meal you get charged so they already have some of this in place, for your convenience, of course.

Edited by dexddd
  • Like 9

Interestingly the Latitudes 15 points I would have gained from my cancelled TA back in April are still reflected in my Latitudes account; I went from Platinum to Platinum Plus!  I've read several other posters having the same thing happen to them.

Yeah, I had the same survey emailed to my Latitudes email address also.  "Reading 'tween the lines" it looks like FDR & NCL are prepping to start charging $$ for Latitudes perqs versus earning them by actually cruising.  They've already begun this earlier last year when they started offering "Priority Embarkation Package" for $150 (not sure if it was per person or per cabin?).  'Reading...' again I also think they're prepping a 'Latitudes Annual Fee' or some such.

I guess $$ is more important to NCL than customer loyalty...sigh

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 6

As long as they won`t charge for something which is currently complimentary i don`t care about their offers for add-ons for money.

I mean they could offer a hundred different things you can get if you pay extra.I think there will be customers for almost every thinkable extra-stuff.

Their current latitudes prrogram for me is no reason to book them again.I book them because i like their ships and their itineraries,but not because the latitudes program is so good.

• Like 1

except that it's more than "a little extra" dollarwise to get into 1st class. just look at the difference between a suite and the same type of room as a haven suite. even better, the club suite vs haven. you're looking at a difference of 1000's of dollars

Not sure what people expect,   but,  I've never sailed for any loyalty program.     I'd rather have nothing and a discounted rate.    

Platinum-   has the benefits and frankly,  it isn't very hard to obtain that level.    Little difference for the two that follow.   

I've been speculating that this is going to be reformulated.    And if they do,   it would not surprise me to see reduced benefits at the platinum level.        Especially the   specialty dinners,   with the reduced capacity,   I don't see how they are going to accommodate everyone??    

• Like 2

Neither DW nor I have received this survey.  We're both Platinum Plus.  I agree with those who say it doesn't matter one way or the other if NCL wants to offer some added benefits for a fee.  If you don't want them,  just don't pay extra.  We haven't sailed enough times on any other cruise line to have received comparable benefits from other loyalty programs, so we're really not in a position to compare them.  I would say, however, that some of the Latitudes benefits do influence us to choose NCL over another line if all other circumstances are equal.  We have enjoyed the discount on shore excursions several times, and the free laundry is always a plus.  The last time we were on Holland, laundry cost us about $60 or $70.  Not a deal-breaker, but an inconvenience.  The things we enjoy most about being Platinum Plus are the two extra nights in specialty restaurants and dinner with an officer.  We've had dinner with two dozen NCL officers and have become good friends with many of them.  It's always a pleasure to sail with an officer we know from a previous cruise, and you never know when they may be able to help when you have an issue they can resolve for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Neither DW nor I have received this survey.  We're both Platinum Plus.  I agree with those who say it doesn't matter one way or the other if NCL wants to offer some added benefits for a fee.  If you don't want them,  just don't pay extra.  We haven't sailed enough times on any other cruise line to have received comparable benefits from other loyalty programs, so we're really not in a position to compare them.  I would say, however, that some of the Latitudes benefits do influence us to choose NCL over another line if all other circumstances are equal.  We have enjoyed the discount on shore excursions several times, and the free laundry is always a plus.  The last time we were on Holland, laundry cost us about $60 or $70.  Not a deal-breaker, but an inconvenience.  The things we enjoy most about being Platinum Plus are the two extra nights in specialty restaurants and dinner with an officer.  We've had dinner with two dozen NCL officers and have become good friends with many of them.  It's always a pleasure to sail with an officer we know from a previous cruise, and you never know when they may be able to help when you have an issue they can resolve for you.

the officer dinner is usually in the main dining room.  Sometimes the officer has an obligated edge.  -   So hardly any big deal for me.     I've actually found some more painful than enjoyable.   

• Like 1

No survey here either.  😞 One benefit I wish they would offer to Plat Plus or Haven  passengers is unlimited internet!  I’d rather have that than shore excursion credits.  I have even written to management suggesting that but no reply.  As to paying for any other extras, I guess it depends on what is offered and how much they are charging.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

the officer dinner is usually in the main dining room.  Sometimes the officer has an obligated edge.  -   So hardly any big deal for me.     I've actually found some more painful than enjoyable.   

About 3/4 of our officer dinners have been in the MDR, but we've had three in Le Bistro and one in Cagney's.  Maybe three or four of our dinners have been real yawners with officers who acted like they lost a bet to eat with the riff raff, but most have been enlightening and entertaining. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

About 3/4 of our officer dinners have been in the MDR, but we've had three in Le Bistro and one in Cagney's.  Maybe three or four of our dinners have been real yawners with officers who acted like they lost a bet to eat with the riff raff, but most have been enlightening and entertaining. 

I'll speculate that when cruising starts up again.    The specialty "gift" you have gotten, in the past, probably, won't be common with all the new qualifiers.     You likely were also sailing on the same ship?      It is not a common exception otherwise.       Most often,  it's going to be in main dining room.      

1 hour ago, mertziek said:

No survey here either.  😞 One benefit I wish they would offer to Plat Plus or Haven  passengers is unlimited internet!  I’d rather have that than shore excursion credits.  I have even written to management suggesting that but no reply.  As to paying for any other extras, I guess it depends on what is offered and how much they are charging.

We are Platinum Plus and didn't get the survey.  Did this survey only go to those that are below Platinum?

I like the idea of giving us Platinum Plus a choice of benefits.   How hard would it be to let us choose from a menu of benefits?

I'd rather have a couple of cans of Diet Pepsi than the wine🤔

• Like 1

we've been platinum and platinum plus for a number of years, and the last thing i care about is  having dinner with the officers

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we've been platinum and platinum plus for a number of years, and the last thing i care about is  having dinner with the officers

My point.   🙂    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sand and Seas said:

We are Platinum Plus and didn't get the survey.  Did this survey only go to those that are below Platinum?

I like the idea of giving us Platinum Plus a choice of benefits.   How hard would it be to let us choose from a menu of benefits?

I'd rather have a couple of cans of Diet Pepsi than the wine🤔

funny, the last thing i want is the internet. im on vacation, but the first thing my wife does is sign up in the internet cafe for the unlimited wi fi. . by the  way, plus also gets  2 extra dinners, while in and of iyself, that aint bad, you're looking at maybe $30 per person for 4 dinners it's about $120.  seems to me that when we're spending $1,000's of dollars on a cruise, plus the airfare, possible hotels etc, two extra dinners per person doesnt entice me.

• Like 2

oddly enough, they sent the survey to my 20 year old grandson. he got all his latitude points when he turned 18, and at that point he has enough for platinum + and that was also the last time we took him on a cruise...... go figure!!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I'll speculate that when cruising starts up again.    The specialty "gift" you have gotten, in the past, probably, won't be common with all the new qualifiers.     You likely were also sailing on the same ship?      It is not a common exception otherwise.       Most often,  it's going to be in main dining room.      

We have enjoyed 15 dinners with 24 different officers on 11 different ships.  Most of those were in the MDR, as you mentioned.  The ones in a specialty restaurants were on four different ships with officers with whom we had established a previous connection, usually traveling with them on a previous cruise before receiving a special invitation to join them in Le Bistro or Cagney's.  Getting to know your officers really can reap rewards.  There is nothing special about it.  Simply show an interest in the officer's career, be personable, and get to know them.  A dinner invitation could be yours.

7 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

We have enjoyed 15 dinners with 24 different officers on 11 different ships.  Most of those were in the MDR, as you mentioned.  The ones in a specialty restaurants were on four different ships with officers with whom we had established a previous connection, usually traveling with them on a previous cruise before receiving a special invitation to join them in Le Bistro or Cagney's.  Getting to know your officers really can reap rewards.  There is nothing special about it.  Simply show an interest in the officer's career, be personable, and get to know them.  A dinner invitation could be yours.

I do know multiple officers.    But,  I am not one to intrude and "get to know" them.   🙂    I'm not looking for any "rewards" either.      As I mention-   Platinum Plus has a LOT of members.    Ambassador is headed there.    You'll have more- options for your "rewards"  when you get to Ambassador-   if that is what your agenda is.    But-   it absolutely does vary  depending on staff and ship.