Which are the best balcony cabins on Preziosa?

sidekick180

I am looking at booking a cruise on Preziosa sailing out from Southampton.

I have never sailed with MSC before, only P&O so far. I have looked at Balcony cabins with either Fantastica Experience or the Aurea Experience. I have no clue which is the best experience to go for or if any of the balconies are better or worse on any of the decks.

I am also very confused about the drinks package offer on the Aurea experience. It simply states 'Unlimited Drinks package', but it doesn't say whether this is Unlimited 'Easy' drinks package or Unlimited 'Premium'. So far, from what I have already been reading, the Easy package is not worth doing because of the restricted variety of Draught beer and spirits.

I would be very grateful for any advice to help me make the right decision before I go ahead and book a cruise, then regret not choosing the right package and cabin.

Many thanks

I would advocate for the aft facing Fantastica balcony on decks 10 or 11, 12 is also okay but not quite as deep of a balcony.  Beware of the very small two person balcony cabins in the mid/aft "hump" wider section of the ship.  All the other balcony cabins are the same size inside. 

Bella experience is no frills and cabin locations are not usually very good.  Fantastica gives better cabin locations and gives little perks like priority choice of dining time and no charge for room service (the food itself may have a charge, apart from continental breakfast).  Aurea gets the very basic Easy package with considerably limited choices, but unlimited amount.  Many MSC sailings have a promotional rate where Easy package is included at a discount for Bella and Fantastica.  Aurea gets lots of other little perk that vary in value based on the ship.  Aurea gets thermal spa access (fairly weak on Preziosa), one 50 minute massage per adult, a restricted access sun deck (not very nice on Preziosa), an open dining time, priority embark/debark and a few other minor things.  Yacht Club suite cabins are a private, luxury ship within a ship concept with better drinks package, internet, butler, concierge, pool, restaurant, etc....  There's no right or wrong choice, just pick the option that includes what you find of value. In most cases you can add these perks separately, exceptions being Yacht Club perks and the Aurea dining time choice that can't be purchased separately.

Draught beer choice is only Heineken for Easy package, US sailings usually have one other.  It is overall pretty restrictive to me, but some people like it.  Every once in a while MSC UK offers the promotion of Premium package with Fantastica and Aurea bookings, others here can comment on the frequency.  You can search drink menus here and see what is offered for less than €6, not much.  Only look at recent menus prices as older ones are no longer accurate.  MSC offers a Premium package, drinks to €12, and a Premium Plus package that covers all drinks by the glass.  So your can choose a Fantastica or Bella cabin at the usual cruise only rate and purchase the package you desire, or wait for a promotional rate, like the "All Inclusive" that includes Easy, internet and sometimes OBC. 

The aft facing cabins book up fast so you need to be quick.  MSC will usually let you refare to another promotional rate if something more interesting to you comes along after you booked.  I have a little more flexibility by booking in the US so one strategy I use is to book far out to get a very specific cabin then wait for a drinks package promotion and pay the extra price increase to get that side fixed.  If cabin choice is not as important as price it has been better lately to wait as long as you can, usually after final payment.

47 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

I am looking at booking a cruise on Preziosa sailing out from Southampton.

I have never sailed with MSC before, only P&O so far. I have looked at Balcony cabins with either Fantastica Experience or the Aurea Experience. I have no clue which is the best experience to go for or if any of the balconies are better or worse on any of the decks.

I am also very confused about the drinks package offer on the Aurea experience. It simply states 'Unlimited Drinks package', but it doesn't say whether this is Unlimited 'Easy' drinks package or Unlimited 'Premium'. So far, from what I have already been reading, the Easy package is not worth doing because of the restricted variety of Draught beer and spirits.

I would be very grateful for any advice to help me make the right decision before I go ahead and book a cruise, then regret not choosing the right package and cabin.

Many thanks

I know this answer does not specifically address your question, but....the best 'balcony' cabins and the best 'experience' by far are the deluxe suites in the Yacht Club. We have sailed YC on 3 occasions, and it is fantastic.

Ate has adressed your question extensively, and I agree with him. There is no way I would choose Aurea rather than Yacht Club given the price differential. Presumably you are looking at one of the September or October 7 nights, or even the 14 nighter that goes down to Malaga and back. It is likely that a high proportion of folks will cancel, in the current climate, so late bargains might be available....generally that doesn't apply to YC but who knows in these times?

We may, depending on how International travel pans out in the next few months, end up doing one of those as a last minute booking.....assuming we will be able to drive freely across all of Great Britain by then.

43 minutes ago, Até said:

I would advocate for the aft facing Fantastica balcony on decks 10 or 11, 12 is also okay but not quite as deep of a balcony.  Beware of the very small two person balcony cabins in the mid/aft "hump" wider section of the ship.  All the other balcony cabins are the same size inside. 

Bella experience is no frills and cabin locations are not usually very good.  Fantastica gives better cabin locations and gives little perks like priority choice of dining time and no charge for room service (the food itself may have a charge, apart from continental breakfast).  Aurea gets the very basic Easy package with considerably limited choices, but unlimited amount.  Many MSC sailings have a promotional rate where Easy package is included at a discount for Bella and Fantastica.  Aurea gets lots of other little perk that vary in value based on the ship.  Aurea gets thermal spa access (fairly weak on Preziosa), one 50 minute massage per adult, a restricted access sun deck (not very nice on Preziosa), an open dining time, priority embark/debark and a few other minor things.  Yacht Club suite cabins are a private, luxury ship within a ship concept with better drinks package, internet, butler, concierge, pool, restaurant, etc....  There's no right or wrong choice, just pick the option that includes what you find of value. In most cases you can add these perks separately, exceptions being Yacht Club perks and the Aurea dining time choice that can't be purchased separately.

Draught beer choice is only Heineken for Easy package, US sailings usually have one other.  It is overall pretty restrictive to me, but some people like it.  Every once in a while MSC UK offers the promotion of Premium package with Fantastica and Aurea bookings, others here can comment on the frequency.  You can search drink menus here and see what is offered for less than €6, not much.  Only look at recent menus prices as older ones are no longer accurate.  MSC offers a Premium package, drinks to €12, and a Premium Plus package that covers all drinks by the glass.  So your can choose a Fantastica or Bella cabin at the usual cruise only rate and purchase the package you desire, or wait for a promotional rate, like the "All Inclusive" that includes Easy, internet and sometimes OBC. 

The aft facing cabins book up fast so you need to be quick.  MSC will usually let you refare to another promotional rate if something more interesting to you comes along after you booked.  I have a little more flexibility by booking in the US so one strategy I use is to book far out to get a very specific cabin then wait for a drinks package promotion and pay the extra price increase to get that side fixed.  If cabin choice is not as important as price it has been better lately to wait as long as you can, usually after final payment.

Thank you. that is some very in depth advice and it will definitely help me to make the right decision. Just hope the cruise I am looking at will go ahead. It's at the beginning of October, so I know that I am being very optimistic, but having already had two cruises and a weekend break in the UK cancelled, I am clutching at straws to try and at least get one cruise in this year.

36 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I know this answer does not specifically address your question, but....the best 'balcony' cabins and the best 'experience' by far are the deluxe suites in the Yacht Club. We have sailed YC on 3 occasions, and it is fantastic.

Ate has adressed your question extensively, and I agree with him. There is no way I would choose Aurea rather than Yacht Club given the price differential. Presumably you are looking at one of the September or October 7 nights, or even the 14 nighter that goes down to Malaga and back. It is likely that a high proportion of folks will cancel, in the current climate, so late bargains might be available....generally that doesn't apply to YC but who knows in these times?

We may, depending on how International travel pans out in the next few months, end up doing one of those as a last minute booking.....assuming we will be able to drive freely across all of Great Britain by then.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, Yacht club is way outside of my price range. I did just have a quick look at the prices and the starting price for a standard balcony is £649 pp, but the starting price for Yacht Club is £2449 pp Total for both of us would be £4898. Even if I went for a mid ships balcony on the Aurea experience it would only be a total of £2098. That's a difference of £2800. Way above my budget. Having said that, I know that I am being extremely optimistic and there is a good chance the cruise wont even go ahead. Like I said to Ate. I have had so many things already cancelled this year, including my 60th Birthday, that I am desperately trying to get at least one cruise in this year. The one I am looking at, is the 7 night cruise to Northern Europe at the beginning of October. Bloody hope this disgusting virus has gone well away by then!!

59 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, Yacht club is way outside of my price range. I did just have a quick look at the prices and the starting price for a standard balcony is £649 pp, but the starting price for Yacht Club is £2449 pp Total for both of us would be £4898. Even if I went for a mid ships balcony on the Aurea experience it would only be a total of £2098. That's a difference of £2800. Way above my budget.....

There is no way I'd pay that, way OTT. Interestingly, on the US websites the one leaving on 30 September is coming in at $3000 total for YC, about £2500....almost half of the UK price for the same cabin!

12 hours ago, hamrag said:

Shhhhh!! The more people that go, the harder it is for the rest of us to get in!! 😉

Onto the balcony staterooms. One of my very first posts on CC and reviews was about our experience on Preziosa. Being new to MSC, and travelling in a large group, we turned the booking process over to a (now bankrupt!) travel agency (which I almost never do).

Despite us having 6 cabins all allegedly in the same category at the time (Bella), we all had different cabin sizes! This is when I learned about the 'hump' on cruise ships. The Bella balconies in the 'inset' portion of the hump are much smaller than other cabins. So we all paid the same price but had very different cabin sizes which I did not feel was right.

Some of the group were in aft cabins, which were larger than the mid-ship Bella cabins, BUT, we were travelling with an 80 year old whose false teeth would rattle off the bedside cabinet and onto the floor every time the ship came into dock such was the vibration from the azipods not to mention the noise.

To the OP and all - I too remain optimistic (read: desperate) we can cruise again this year and have been taunting myself by seeking out potential trips to keep an eye on should the travel advice change and we can start getting back to normal again.

3 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

To the OP and all - I too remain optimistic (read: desperate) we can cruise again this year and have been taunting myself by seeking out potential trips to keep an eye on should the travel advice change and we can start getting back to normal again.

Me too! Actually, I have been looking at the luxury smaller ship lines e.g. Seabourn....on the basis they have less than 500 passengers, and much more space....my perception is it will be less difficult to remain safe on those ships.

The prices are way more than I'd want to pay, but they may come down in the final two weeks leading to sailing. If we do this, it will be a late, late call.

Good to hear from you Captain.

• Like 1

And you, hamrag. Hope all is well. I tend to dip in and out of these forums, I leave shortly after I've returned from a cruise (it's too sad otherwise!) and come back when I start getting itchy again. 😂

If I were to try a more upmarket line I think I would opt for Viking (Ocean) as I love the aesthetics of the ships, I think they hold around 900? There's a chap on YouTube ('Visitwithus') who does in-depth tours of the luxury cruise lines and it makes for very good viewing, although a bit too formal for my liking on your Seabourn and Regent type lines. Gary Bembridge ('Tips For Travellers') is also good on YouTube I find.

I'm trying to decide if I want to remain fairly close to home this year for insurance and extraction purposes should it all go wrong, I did spot a nice YC cruise out of Hamburg for a not unreasonable price (which with any luck will decrease further) in October.

Weather won't be great but the itinerary is such that we are never 'too far' away from home if we have a resurgence.

Also looking at a Greek Isles cruises on NCL Spirit (I would now consider her after her refurb!), and Greece seems to be one of the first countries to open back up to tourism, albeit not cruising yet.

19 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Also looking at a Greek Isles cruises on NCL Spirit (I would now consider her after her refurb!), and Greece seems to be one of the first countries to open back up to tourism, albeit not cruising yet.

Ouch, that hurt....we were scheduled on the Spirit 22nd March 28 nights from Cape Town, across Indian Ocean, through Suez Canal etc. to Athens. Needless to say it was cancelled, thankfully a week prior and 3 days before we were due to fly to Cape Town! Those on the cruise immediately prior sailed 2 March from Dubai to Cape Town and, in the end, did not stop at a single port (other than to bunker for fuel) because the Indian Ocean and South African ports were terrified.....despite not a single case of Covid-19 across the 20 days cruise. It was all taking off in the media at that time, Princess cruises was a disaster and tainted the whole cruising industry!

The OP on this thread got me looking at YC on Prez, out of Southampton, and there is a 14 nighter on 2nd September going as far as Malaga.....wouldn't be close to our first choice of itinerary, having done all that to death, but might ultimately be expedient and easily done at short notice. And the YC prices on US websites reflects almost 50% of  UK pricing in the YC......watch this space.

Late edit....just checked, and it's a 5+5% discount and also 100 euro pp on board credit....

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

That would have been a wonderful cruise, on what looks to be a beautiful ship (now). My condolences for your loss! I do remember seeing the topics about that on the NCL board... not good.

Yes, it never ceases to amaze me the pricing differentials - combined with the more favourable deposit policies and it's often a no-brainer. Hadn't spotted that one so thanks for the tip. I had been braving a week out of Hamburg but a fortnight sounds good!

With apologies to the OP for the hi-jack - I will chip in with a further bit of advice which I think is important (it has already been mentioned but worth emphasising) - Aurea and above means you can dine when you want. Otherwise, it's fixed dining. Not sure how strongly you feel about that but it's usually a deal breaker for me.

5 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Yes, it never ceases to amaze me the pricing differentials - combined with the more favourable deposit policies and it's often a no-brainer. Hadn't spotted that one so thanks for the tip. I had been braving a week out of Hamburg but a fortnight sounds good!

We could don our masks, and head down to the Solent using public transport!  😷

• Haha 1

No worries Captain, I don't mind you hi-jacking the post, it still makes good reading and I can pick out the bits of interest to me. Such as, booking through the US website if cheaper. Can you give me some advice about how I would go about booking through the US website, or even how it is possible to access this website. Thanks

• Thanks 1

Good to hear, thanks! 🙂

I don't think it's necessarily the MSC USA website Hamrag is referring to. There are a number of independent travel agents that will sell MSC cruises on the US T&C's to UK guests. You would pay the fare in dollars so would also need to factor in any exchange rate fluctuations or foreign exchange fees on your credit card etc. (Halifax Clarity has no such fees).

But, you benefit from refundable deposits in some cases so you can cancel and rebook without penalty if the cruise price drops. Also, the base fare can just be cheaper as MSC will be targeting a specific market (I imagine US cruisers spend much more onboard than we do, so MSC want to entice them with cheaper base fares in the hope they will get the money back on onboard sales).

Depends how you usually book cruises as to what you are comfortable with - I almost always book independently, hardly ever direct with the cruise line and hardly ever 'bundled' with airfare.

You do need to be aware of the pitfalls of doing this, such as no ABTA/ATOL protection and the exchange rate business I mentioned, but I find the savings over the years more than makes up for the drawbacks. However, you do need to be comfortable/confident in doing it.

It may also not be a great strategy at the moment with the possibility of ships getting quarantined etc. - an 'all in' package with the cruise line might give you more protection. Lots to think about! 🙂

1 hour ago, Captain-John said:

Good to hear, thanks! 🙂

I don't think it's necessarily the MSC USA website Hamrag is referring to. There are a number of independent travel agents that will sell MSC cruises on the US T&C's to UK guests. You would pay the fare in dollars so would also need to factor in any exchange rate fluctuations or foreign exchange fees on your credit card etc. (Halifax Clarity has no such fees).

But, you benefit from refundable deposits in some cases so you can cancel and rebook without penalty if the cruise price drops. Also, the base fare can just be cheaper as MSC will be targeting a specific market (I imagine US cruisers spend much more onboard than we do, so MSC want to entice them with cheaper base fares in the hope they will get the money back on onboard sales).

Depends how you usually book cruises as to what you are comfortable with - I almost always book independently, hardly ever direct with the cruise line and hardly ever 'bundled' with airfare.

You do need to be aware of the pitfalls of doing this, such as no ABTA/ATOL protection and the exchange rate business I mentioned, but I find the savings over the years more than makes up for the drawbacks. However, you do need to be comfortable/confident in doing it.

It may also not be a great strategy at the moment with the possibility of ships getting quarantined etc. - an 'all in' package with the cruise line might give you more protection. Lots to think about! 🙂

Yes, lots to think about. I have only been on two cruises so far, although a further two were booked and cancelled. Also, I have only been with P&O, and I have always booked direct with them. Partly because they were offering the best deal at the time. I found this out by shopping around. Not sure that I would be confident enough to book the way you have, mainly because of those pitfalls you mentioned. If the cruise does go ahead I will just have to make a decision and go for it, hoping for a good deal of course. Fingers crossed that we will all be able to get back on the water soon. I personally can't wait cos I have massively got the bug now.