First Time on Princess March 2021

emerald3582

If all goes as planned, we will be on the Royal traveling to the Mexican Riviera. I've done a lot of research but I still have a few questions.

Can you use the beverage package in the MDR? If not, can you get a couple glasses of wine and bring them into the MDR.

Can you bring wine from the bar into the specialty restaurants?

How strict is the dress code in the MDR? Are leggings and capris ok? I have specialty dining planned for the formal nights.

How is the food in the MDR compared to Horizon? We are not picky eaters so all types of cuisine are good with us.

Yes you can use the beverage package in the MDR. I have also walked in with a drink from the bar. Leggings and capris are good for lunch but most people will dress a little more for dinner ( chinos or nice jeans with no holes, collared shirt - pants or skirt  and a  pretty top) . The food is good, pasta  and soup very good. You can have as much as you want in the MDR and try anything you want  so  we try not to eat in the Horizon  Buffet except if coming back from a late tour for multiple reasons. We are Elite on Princess and it's our favorite cruise line ( 50+ cruises).

Is the Sanctuary worth the price? Our last cruise was on Disney. The adults only area was not enforced at all, but you didn't have to pay either.

Do you tip the servers that bring you your drinks?

Edited by emerald3582

The Sanctuary is wonderful. Even if you have a balcony. You are waited on hand and foot. The staff will bring you lunch from a spa menu or burgers, hot dogs or pizza for lunch, fruit, drinks for a small delivery fee. We always tip the manager up front and any staff that are particularly helpful at the end of the cruise. Around 3:30 every day, they serve a fabulous English tea with sandwiches, scones , sweets that is included. The lounges have thick mattresses and once picked are yours for the day if you come at nine or eleven or come and go. It’s stress free. The staff will move your lounge in or out of the sun, wrap you in blankets if it’s cool, bring you ice, etc. the only stress is getting up there before everyone else.

You can take alcohol or soft drinks you buy at a bar to anyplace on the ship you desire including the MDR.  That includes drinks as well as bottles of wine.  The beverage packages can be use at any bar or food service area on the ship.  

The dress code is not very strict.  They do not allow swim suits in the MDR or buffet and require shoes (flip flops will do).  Shorts are not allowed in the evening in the MDR although I have seen that rule not enforced on a few ships.  Men are required to wear pants/jeans on non-formal nights and a shirt with sleeves (polo shirt, tshirt etc).  Formal nights requires men to wear pants/dockers and a shirt with collar.  Suits, sport coats and ties are not required.  Women dress similarly.  I had a maitr'd  tell me once that women can wear about anything and pronounce it formal!  I would encourage you to rethink formal nights in the MDR as the food tends to be better those nights. 

The food in the MDR is superior to the buffet in my opinion.  You will not see the evening MDR offerings in the buffet regardless of what others claim.  I spot check several nights on each cruise to see what is being offered in the buffet before going to the MDR just to see the difference.  We always eat in the MDR and several years ago switched back to TD with the same table, time and wait staff.  

2 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

The Sanctuary is wonderful. Even if you have a balcony. You are waited on hand and foot. The staff will bring you lunch from a spa menu or burgers, hot dogs or pizza for lunch, fruit, drinks for a small delivery fee. We always tip the manager up front and any staff that are particularly helpful at the end of the cruise. Around 3:30 every day, they serve a fabulous English tea with sandwiches, scones , sweets that is included. The lounges have thick mattresses and once picked are yours for the day if you come at nine or eleven or come and go. It’s stress free. The staff will move your lounge in or out of the sun, wrap you in blankets if it’s cool, bring you ice, etc. the only stress is getting up there before everyone else.

+1 on the Sanctuary, we always spend a few days there on any warm weather trip. To the OP, if you do want to book the Sanctuary, be aware it's very popular relative to its size and gets booked up very quickly. Get on board ASAP on embarkation day and race up there if you want to grab a good lounger.

8 hours ago, emerald3582 said:

Is the Sanctuary worth the price? Our last cruise was on Disney. The adults only area was not enforced at all, but you didn't have to pay either.

It is definitely enforced that only those who pay are admitted.

When you sign up (only once on the ship), you select the specific lounger location you want and it is yours for the times you have reserved it.

Very strictly enforced! The staff knows you on sight and your name from the first day. However the Sanctuary does not have a pool. Right outside the Sanctuary is an adults only ( enforced) free area  with a pool that is very popular . It has cabanas but regular lounges. It seems very hot on sea days and you have to go early to get a spot. It does not have the special wait staff or ambiance but free is good.

you can book the Sanctuary for a half day (morning or afternoon) day, or full week. The full week has a slight discount. If you are on a back to back , you can book the second week before the second cruise starts which lets you get a better location .

When we started cruising on Princess in 1990 formal nights were really formal. Men had tux or white dinner jackets or national dress ( kilts or formal Bermuda shorts with high black socks) women wore ball gowns! Over the years it changed drastically. My husband went from tux to dark suit to old blue sport coat to long sleeved shirt. Sigh. There is more dressing up on European cruises than in the Caribbean. Still some families find it fun to dress up if they are having formal photos taken.

Yes you must race up to the Sanctuary. Some people go to the port at 9:30 and sit for two hours before boarding so they can be first on board. Suites supposedly board first and even then there is a pecking order. I have seen people run up the stairs (  top deck forward) while companions cheer them on while guarding their hand luggage so they can sign up first. The very front of the ship in the Sanctuary has the most spectacular views and is partly shaded. Those are coveted lounges.

12 hours ago, emerald3582 said:

Do you tip the servers that bring you your drinks?

Sanctuary. It depends on how much you enjoy sitting in a reserved comfortable lounge. Sanctuary is strictly for adults and for passengers that have paid to enter. There isn't much shade. Cost is $20/half day, am or pm or $30/full day if you book for the entire cruise. This gives you a reserved lounge chair no matter if you are there or not there. The sanctuary on the Royal does not have a pool. You have to exit the area and use the retreat pool or the main pool. The retreat pool is adults only with non-reserved lounges, and not much shade.

Drinks. There is an 18% gratuity added to all beverage purchase menu prices. This covers the servers, bar staff and others. For a $10 drink your folio will be charged $11.80. No additional tipping required. There isn't any receipt. If you wish to check you can watch your folio charges in real time on your smart device or get a print outs at passenger services.

34 minutes ago, skynight said:

There is an 18% gratuity added to all beverage purchase menu prices. This covers the servers, bar staff and others. For a $10 drink your folio will be charged $11.80. No additional tipping required

the OP indicated in the first post that they were inquiring about the Beverage package … are you implying that the PBP doesn't work in the Sanctuary ?? never knew that if that's the case ...Thanks

22 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Yea the beverage package should be good anywhere on the ship.

The cost for the drink is part of the beverage package but I think anytime you ask the staff to bring you food or drink from outside the Sanctuary ( pool bar, buffet, grill etc. I.e.chocolate chip cookies) there is a small delivery fee ($3?) no matter how many items. Of course you can go get it yourself and come back  if you wish. 

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

the OP indicated in the first post that they were inquiring about the Beverage package … are you implying that the PBP doesn't work in the Sanctuary ?? never knew that if that's the case ...Thanks

No, not implying. The beverage package works everywhere on the ship except for specific exclusions, such as room service, as defined in the terms and conditions.The cost of the beverage package includes the gratuity for all ordered drinks. No further gratuity is required and no further gratuity will be charged.  

The beverage package works in MDR but we tend to get our wine at Vines and then take it to MDR with us. It's generally faster and a better selection. Vines won't let you take their good glassware to MDR so be sure to tell them you want the wine to take with you. Sadly it never tastes as good in the other glassware. The good stuff really does make a difference. I sometimes order an after dinner drink in MDR using the beverage package.

Edited by Thrak

19 hours ago, emerald3582 said:

If all goes as planned, we will be on the Royal traveling to the Mexican Riviera. I've done a lot of research but I still have a few questions.

Can you use the beverage package in the MDR? If not, can you get a couple glasses of wine and bring them into the MDR.

Can you bring wine from the bar into the specialty restaurants?

How strict is the dress code in the MDR? Are leggings and capris ok? I have specialty dining planned for the formal nights.

How is the food in the MDR compared to Horizon? We are not picky eaters so all types of cuisine are good with us.

I hope cruising is happening next March!  I like the Royal Princess. Love the Adult only pool, and Bellini's bar. 

The beverage package works in the MDR, but it can be slow getting a beverage there. Some assistant waiters are on it, and some are slower, but that may be due to location in the dining room. We usually walk in with a drink, and order a second early so it arrives by the time the main course arrives. If you get wine from Vines, just let them know it's "to go", so they put it in a regular glass, and not the nicer glasses that they don't let out of their sight. The buffets do have some cool themed nights for dinner that are worth doing a walk through.  Mongolian BBQ comes to mind. They will note it in the Patter. 

No beverage package for room service, but you can take drinks to your cabin. I've gotten a martini from Crooners before and asked for a to go glass. They use a short glass and I can walk with it and not spill. 

Dress code in the MDR: Capris are likely fine for dinner on a non formal night, and you could probably even make leggings look nice. As long as it's not formal night you won't be turned away. Some people dress up for dinner, some don't.  My family enjoys dressing up for dinner, but as long as you are not in a swim suit, tattered jeans or shorts you should be fine. You will find some very aggressive views on the Princess board one way or the other about MDR dress code, try not to let it scare you. 🙂 

I don't like buffets. People taste things, put food back, lick their fingers, cough on food, I try to avoid them. I find food often gets cold by the time I find a seat. We enjoy specialty dining and the MDR. 

Hope you get to go on your cruise and have a great time!

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

No beverage package for room service, but you can take drinks to your cabin. I've gotten a martini from Crooners before and asked for a to go glass. They use a short glass and I can walk with it and not spill. 

When I get a Chairman of the Board to take with me to the theater (we arrive early to get good seats and take drinks with us) I always ask them to put it in a rocks glass. I can't walk and carry a martini glass without slopping it everywhere. I've actually had the theater waiters deliver them to me in a rocks glass and had them thank me for making things easier for them. (Of course I also order my 24K Gold Margarita's in a rocks glass as my normal way of getting them. I really don't care for Margarita glasses.)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

The cost for the drink is part of the beverage package but I think anytime you ask the staff to bring you food or drink from outside the Sanctuary ( pool bar, buffet, grill etc. I.e.chocolate chip cookies) there is a small delivery fee ($3?) no matter how many items. Of course you can go get it yourself and come back  if you wish. 

thanks for the info;  have never been in sanctuary; but good to know info

18 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I hope cruising is happening next March!  I like the Royal Princess. Love the Adult only pool, and Bellini's bar. 

The beverage package works in the MDR, but it can be slow getting a beverage there. Some assistant waiters are on it, and some are slower, but that may be due to location in the dining room. We usually walk in with a drink, and order a second early so it arrives by the time the main course arrives. If you get wine from Vines, just let them know it's "to go", so they put it in a regular glass, and not the nicer glasses that they don't let out of their sight. The buffets do have some cool themed nights for dinner that are worth doing a walk through.  Mongolian BBQ comes to mind. They will note it in the Patter. 

Dress code in the MDR: Capris are likely fine for dinner on a non formal night, and you could probably even make leggings look nice. As long as it's not formal night you won't be turned away. Some people dress up for dinner, some don't.  My family enjoys dressing up for dinner, but as long as you are not in a swim suit, tattered jeans or shorts you should be fine. You will find some very aggressive views on the Princess board one way or the other about MDR dress code, try not to let it scare you. 🙂 

I don't like buffets. People taste things, put food back, lick their fingers, cough on food, I try to avoid them. I find food often gets cold by the time I find a seat. We enjoy specialty dining and the MDR. 

Hope you get to go on your cruise and have a great time!

I love your description of the buffet. I agree completely!  The only exception is on the small Pacific Princess ( like the Oceania ships) where you can get a really nice salad and eat outdoors near the pool grill.

23 hours ago, voljeep said:

not for room service for sure ...

but does include Princess Cay

The beverage package does not include beer buckets anywhere on the ship and does not cover any drinks from room service.  You are free to get beverages from a bar and take them to your room/balcony.  If I have the PBP, I will usually stop at a bar on my way back to my cabin and get an unopened bottle of beer and put it in the cabin refrigerator.  After a day or two, I  generally have a nice supply of cold beer in the cabin.  😃 

• Like 1

On the Royal, the Retreat pool (pool right before entering the Sanctuary) is adults only area.  I don't recall call seeing kids up there but I'm not sure anyone would enforce the restriction. We tend to cruise during the school year and on longer cruises.  There are cabanas around the pool to rent but the remaining loungers are free to use and a bar right there.

Edited by patrickmoran

44 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

On the Royal, the Retreat pool (pool right before entering the Sanctuary) is adults only area.  I don't recall call seeing kids up there but I'm not sure anyone would enforce the restriction.

They will as soon as someone reports it.