Will cruise ships get back to normal

10 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Was in a local sporting goods store this week.  Probably saw 60-70 customers and employees.  2 masks.

It was a breath of fresh air, literally and figuratively. 🙂

That's exactly what I wanted to say but decided not to bother because it'll just stir up the 'maskers'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

We continue to have new cases here in RI but that doesn't really concern me as the number of hospitalizations and deaths is dropping dramatically. The number of new cases is also way down. Something is changing and it all seems to be for the better. If after all of these demonstrations (riots) we are having things are still looking good in the next couple of weeks I think there will be a very new outlook on this mess even if the media and politicians would prefer otherwise.

Fully agree.  I used to look at number of deaths and number of new cases, with new cases being a leading indicator for deaths.  With the increase in testing, new cases have less meaning for me.  The number of hospitalizations would be a better indicator. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

We continue to have new cases here in RI but that doesn't really concern me as the number of hospitalizations and deaths is dropping dramatically. The number of new cases is also way down. Something is changing and it all seems to be for the better. If after all of these demonstrations (riots) we are having things are still looking good in the next couple of weeks I think there will be a very new outlook on this mess even if the media and politicians would prefer otherwise.

They are testing 20K in Ontario a day and find around 370 new cases a day.  A few weeks ago they were testing around 15K and finding 700+ a day. As it stands the cases are going down, even with more testing.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

I have talked to medical professionals who have said the stay at home orders were to ensure that medical facilities would not be overrun with cases until the curve was flattened.  The only way to stop a pandemic is to either have it run its course (why with all the lockdowns numbers were still going up) or a vaccine, and we all know how effective the flu vaccines are. 

Flu vaccine would be much more effective if more people would get a shot. 2019 saw only 45% of US adults getting vaccinated. As of today a covid vaccine, if they find one, will not be mandatory.

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Fully agree.  I used to look at number of deaths and number of new cases, with new cases being a leading indicator for deaths.  With the increase in testing, new cases have less meaning for me.  The number of hospitalizations would be a better indicator. 

Agree. Testing does not have the restrictions that were in place back in March. Many more tests being done are going to reveal many more infected people. More asymptomatic cases which do not require hospitalization and therefore are not adding to the death toll. This is a good thing. The mortality rate is actually not nearly as high as originally thought.

I'm not concerned at all anymore when more positive cases are reported just as long as the death toll does not substantially increase as well. In fact, I'm glad to hear there will be more people circulating in the population with some sort of immunity to this virus.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1