I think my cruise agent has bailed

adonisr

Booked a cruise on the Breeze with a cruise agent back in the fall.  Final payment date is Sunday and the agent isn't answering email or calls.  Will Carnival let me drop the agent from the booking?

When using an agent you have to make the payments through them. They then pay Carnival, have you gotten credit for all funds paid so far? I would certainly contact Carnival and have all your information ready and ask that they transfer your booking over so that you can cruise as planned. Keep your fingers crossed that your agent was legit until the day they closed their doors.

50 minutes ago, adonisr said:

Booked a cruise on the Breeze with a cruise agent back in the fall.  Final payment date is Sunday and the agent isn't answering email or calls.  Will Carnival let me drop the agent from the booking?

Is this an agency or a single private T.A.? If is an agency ask to speak to anyone alive.

15 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

When using an agent you have to make the payments through them. They then pay Carnival, have you gotten credit for all funds paid so far? I would certainly contact Carnival and have all your information ready and ask that they transfer your booking over so that you can cruise as planned. Keep your fingers crossed that your agent was legit until the day they closed their doors.

The booking does show up in my CCL profile, so yes, I believe the agent is legit.

39 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

Actually this is the first sign it is a TA you DON'T want to use! My TA takes no money directly. All of my charges are marked as Carnival Cruise Lines, now XYZ Agency. 

I am going to assume the agent does not have an "out of office" message set up. Like was said you have 2 choices, call Carnival and ask for them to take the booking back over, or try and speak to someone else at the agency. The easiest way would be to try and call the agency 1st, and if they are no help call Carnival, but it is up to you. It might just be that RL happened, or the agent you have is only working 1-2 days a week depending on when you tried to call them. 

The large TA I use I had to call recently. I knew my TA I work with wasn't in the office because he works odd days now and I work overnight which makes it hard. The agent I spoke to apologized and said their biggest issue is that before they would have about 10-15 people working the evening shift there until 10pm est. Now they have 3. Doesn't make anything easier for them at all, but it could even be a case that he was laid off, and for some reason (or they were upset about it) that they didn't inform their clients to screw over the man in the situation. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adonisr said:

I had the same experience, however, I have dealt with my agent for 11 years and knew he always returned calls and emails timely. Unfortunately he had been let go by the company and because I knew he was on FB I was able to locate him and read that he had been let go. I was upset with the agency because while I understood he no longer had access to his clients, as we were a group booking, someone should have been assigned to take over his clients. That has since been rectified but it should never have caused me a days worry. I hope you get a resolution to your concerns.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, adonisr said:

You should ask to see if they will push back  your date for you final payment in order to get the situation resolved. I know on our August cruise they allowed the final payment to be moved to 30 days.

11 hours ago, tree.critter said:

None of the TAs I've used work that way.  My payments go directly to the cruise line, they aren't deposited into the agent's account.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roz said:

None of the TAs I've used work that way.  My payments go directly to the cruise line, they aren't deposited into the agent's account.  

When we booked our European River cruise, we also paid it directly to the cruise line, paid where and when she told us.  Our TA just co-ordinated stuff and was there for problem solving.  I have never heard of paying the TA.

baf

14 hours ago, adonisr said:

When you say "cruise agent" what do you mean. Is it a travel agent, a Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner), or what? Makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

When you say "cruise agent" what do you mean. Is it a travel agent, a Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner), or what? Makes a big difference.

Travel agent

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Probably hasn’t bailed but is laid off instead.

I think the firm closed up shop.  No answer of calls.  Website is now defunct.  Emails result in a "delivery incomplete" message.

I think they folded.

Calling CCL today to get it swapped to direct with them.

Edited by adonisr

1 minute ago, adonisr said:

I think the firm closed up shop.  No answer of calls.  Website is now defunct.  Emails result in a "delivery incomplete" message.

I think they folded.

Sounds about right.

3 minutes ago, adonisr said:

I think they folded.

Please let us know how it goes, good luck!

5 hours ago, Roz said:

I am happy to see this appears to be more the norm now. It has been over 20 years since I used a TA and had to pay through them. Everything has been so crazy with current covid situation. I have been so happy with easy PVP, hoping the OP gets through and makes sure he/she is good to go. 

45 minutes ago, adonisr said:

I think they folded.

There really should be no problem with Carnival taking over the booking if the agency has folded. Fingers crossed that everything works out for you. Please let all of us know.

Update - 

I called CCL.  Explained my situation to the rep.  She put me on hold for a while and then returned to tell me that one of the numbers they had on file for the agency answered and said to leave a message.  It was a number I didn't have.  Since they had a "live" number they couldn't take the reservation from the agent.  I pointed out final payment date was today.  She then said she would get a manager to approve extending my final payment date for 30 days to give me time to try to reach the agent.  She put me back hold again - for a long time.  Finally came back and said she did some checking and found they did have record of the closing of the agency.  So she took my final payment and all is well.  Now, we'll see if there is actually a cruise on Sept. 5 😃

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, adonisr said:

Update - 

I called CCL.  Explained my situation to the rep.  She put me on hold for a while and then returned to tell me that one of the numbers they had on file for the agency answered and said to leave a message.  It was a number I didn't have.  Since they had a "live" number they couldn't take the reservation from the agent.  I pointed out final payment date was today.  She then said she would get a manager to approve extending my final payment date for 30 days to give me time to try to reach the agent.  She put me back hold again - for a long time.  Finally came back and said she did some checking and found they did have record of the closing of the agency.  So she took my final payment and all is well.  Now, we'll see if there is actually a cruise on Sept. 5 😃

Yay!! Good job sticking to your guns and having Carnival follow through.👍 Just curious why your final payment was today and mine for a September 3, 2020 cruise is June 20.  I'm set for automatic payment so all is good, just curious...

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, adonisr said:

Update - 

Glad there was a resolution to this and Carnival came through!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yay!! Good job sticking to your guns and having Carnival follow through.👍 Just curious why your final payment was today and mine for a September 3, 2020 cruise is June 20.  I'm set for automatic payment so all is good, just curious...

I have an upcoming cruise on Princess with two staterooms. Both are the same stateroom type/sail date under the same rate program.

One room has a final payment several weeks before the other. Nobody at Princess knows why but it’s not a concern to me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

if you have a 5 day or under cruise it's 75 days for final payment.  6 days or longer 90 days for final payment

Edited by phoneman69
spelling
  • Like 1

We are in the same predicament.  Agency no longer exists.  Website taken down.  3 phone numbers no longer working #’s.  Emails returned as undeliverable.  Our issue is we need to cancel the cruise and CCL won’t allow it.  (5) 1 hr+ phone calls and just this last call did I get CCL to even try to take action.  Assuming CCL does what they say they will (not holding out hopes based on my other calls) CCL will now begin an investigation to determine if the agency truly is closed.  Minimum of 3-4 wks.  They said their investigation will include sending a live representative of CCL to the physical address of the agency in an attempt to verify they are closed.  Seems a bit wasteful and extreme on CCL’s part.  Not to mention it’s yet at least 3-4 more weeks they get to unfairly hold my money.   To be cont....