New Free at Sea

18 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Typical NCL.  The 2 specialty dinner change was in the works well before the pandemic.  I find it funny that they use the pandemic to justify the change.  Its almost as silly as when NCL banned people from taking food back to their cabins for "health reasons."  Or towel animals were discontinued because of "environmental reasons".

They are quite clever with their explanations of their policies.

You forgot, for your convenience, of course.

5 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

I just rebooked a 2021 sailing to 2022.  Here are some of the changes:

# of upscale dining reduced (see earlier posts), but only applies to passengers 1 & 2

You now must take beverage package for ALL in cabin, not just first 2

No longer additional points for booking a suite!

I think the wifi # minutes might have increased, but I don't use those anyway, so didn't pay much attention to that.

Maybe they plan to let you pay extra to get extra suite points.

THey changed it- despite all the games NCL plays and all the nickel and diming I'm really upset today I missed my Encore cruise and am looking at 2022 cruises.

That being said- what will they do for things such as the pool area, vibe and race track? How would they limit people there?

27 minutes ago, donnakidston said:

I noticed this too!  

I had a 10 night Med cruise booked for July and I have rebooked a 7 night and only getting 2 meals now.  Doesn't really seem worth it, might've chosen internet or shore excursion if I'd known that!

I was able to re-book my cancelled cruise during the Memorial day sale that added $280 OBC for the Club Balcony.  Lost a dinner on the SDP, but OBC helps.    

On 6/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, Royals Carol said:

I called Norwegian today and was told that yes, the Specialty Dining has been reduced to 2 meals due to Social Distancing.

They won't be able to resume cruising again until we are safe from this pandemic.  So by then, social distancing will be a non-issue.  

• Like 1

When I booked our 10 day for 10/30 back in 11/19 it is actually giving me 4 meals... ??? I even have it printed out on my amenities sheet. Also, if they are reducing passenger capacity by 40% that should free up a lot of space in the dining rooms and all other restaurants. You would think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donnakidston said:

I noticed this too!  

I had a 10 night Med cruise booked for July and I have rebooked a 7 night and only getting 2 meals now.  Doesn't really seem worth it, might've chosen internet or shore excursion if I'd known that!

Specialty Dining Package

Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
Retail Value 20% Gratuities
3-5 Nights 1 $44.95 USD per person $8.99 USD per package
6-8 Nights 2 $79 USD per person $15.80 USD per package
9-10 Nights 3 $99 USD per person $19.80 USD per package
11-14 Nights 4 $114 USD per person $22.80 USD per package
15+ Nights 5 $129 USD per person $25.80 USD per package

Oh, another change.....my deposit went up.  Was $1,500 for a Haven suite.  Now requires $2,000.

Not very enticing...however, I have to pay the entire price anyway, so I'm not too concerned about paying more now rather than later. Its kinda like I was never intrigued by the $50 deposit, because really, you are paying the entire price, it just changes when you have to pay what.

So now I REALLY have my fingers crossed that NCL comes out of this intact!

9 hours ago, Bronx12 said:

Specialty Dining Package

Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
3-5 Nights 1 $44.95 USD per person $8.99 USD per package
6-8 Nights 2 $79 USD per person $15.80 USD per package
9-10 Nights 3 $99 USD per person $19.80 USD per package
11-14 Nights 4 $114 USD per person $22.80 USD per package
15+ Nights 5 $129 USD per person $25.80 USD per package

Bronx 12, I have been on 7 night cruises before and had 3 speciality dininds included.  It's the fact that they have changed it 'quietly'  that people are bemoaning!  I could always call them but I'm already in enough battles with them!

As of 4/17/2020 Partial article reads; 

The five free offers are: free open bar (20 percent gratuity not included), free specialty dining, as detailed above (20 percent gratuity not included), a shore excursion credit, free Wi-Fi and kids sail free.

Under the old rules, depending on the cabin category they booked, passengers could choose one, two, three or all five offers.

Under the new rules, passengers receive all five offers but the free specialty dining amenity has been trimmed. Passengers booked on short sailings of three to five nights will still receive one complimentary specialty dinner, and those on cruises of 15 nights or longer will still get five included specialty dinners.

This answers my own question why I have 4 SDP instead of the 3 now listed for my 10 day in October. 

I'm not sure why this is a new issue -- they announced it before they shut down and stated that the reason was because so many people were getting the SDP, some of the restaurants would "sell out" and people were unable to get reservations. So they were paying for something (the gratuities,) that they couldn't use.

4 minutes ago, adjensen said:

I'm not sure why this is a new issue -- they announced it before they shut down and stated that the reason was because so many people were getting the SDP, some of the restaurants would "sell out" and people were unable to get reservations. So they were paying for something (the gratuities,) that they couldn't use.

I've seen people on CC say that, I didn't see it from NCL officially.  Do you have a pointer to where NCL actually said this?

9 hours ago, donnakidston said:

Bronx 12, I have been on 7 night cruises before and had 3 speciality dininds included.  It's the fact that they have changed it 'quietly'  that people are bemoaning!  I could always call them but I'm already in enough battles with them!

Please don't be among those who mistakenly are thinking that when the dining package amenity was lessened for new bookings it was also revised for existing bookings. It wasn't. The OP apparently mistakenly believed that but finally realized in post #21 that only a new booking they made had the reduced number of specialty dinners.

NCL can't change it on existing bookings. It would be  a breach of contract if they did.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Please don't be among those who mistakenly are thinking that when the dining package amenity was lessened for new bookings it was also revised for existing bookings. It wasn't. The OP apparently mistakenly believed that but finally realized in post #21 that only a new booking they made had the reduced number of specialty dinners.

NCL can't change it on existing bookings. It would be  a breach of contract if they did.

Thanks Horseman, my original sailing was cancelled and I rebooked 2 new ones, so technically after the change was 'announced' on April 15th.

28 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I've seen people on CC say that, I didn't see it from NCL officially.  Do you have a pointer to where NCL actually said this?

Unfortunately, I do not -- it was so long ago, I can't even remember where I read it.

12 minutes ago, adjensen said:

Unfortunately, I do not -- it was so long ago, I can't even remember where I read it.

I suspect you read what I read which was people (not NCL officials) trying to justify the change.

36 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I suspect you read what I read which was people (not NCL officials) trying to justify the change.

Could be -- like I said, I don't remember the source. But the bottom line is that it had nothing to do with "Social Distancing," which wasn't a thing when this change was instantiated.

Whenever you book, or re-book, it's best to ask them to send you an Amenities email.  Then  you have a record of what promos go with that cruise.   

I usually have three or four cruises booked at a time.  I keep all of the details (amenities, airfare, pre-cruise hotel) clipped to each cruise Guest Confirmation.    

• Like 2

On 6/6/2020 at 9:25 PM, WeLuv2TravelAlot said:

I believe this was in effect for bookings made April 15th 2020 and later

The free at sea dining is:

Sail Length # Of Dining
Package Meals
3-5 Nights 1 $44.95 per person $8.99 per package
6-8 Nights 2 $79 per person $15.80 per package
9-10 Nights 3 $99 per person $19.80 per package
11-14 Nights 4 $114 per person $22.80 per package
15+ Nights 5 $129 per person $25.80 per package

If your list is correct, it does represent quite a reduction in the number of specialty dinners for many itineraries. 

We booked several cruises prior to 15 April. 

Our 5 night cruise provides 1 specialty restaurant. 

On a 7 day cruise in February on the PoA we get just 2 specialty dinners, but we have received 3 on 7 day cruises before. 

A 10 day cruise in September 2020 has 4 meals. 

A 10 day cruise in May 2021 has just 3 meals, but we re-booked that cruise last week when the fare went down. 

We get 5 meals on an 11 day cruise in September. 

On 6/6/2020 at 6:50 PM, 2bc cruisers said:

It makes no sense to me.  If you’re not eating in a specialty DR won’t you be eating in the already closely packed main DR, where you can barely walk between tables?  

have they stated they will be extending dining hours?  

And the buffet likely to be very different, possible permanent noro mode, so their capacity is lowered as well.

I guess the lines will announce a Brand New Perk:   BYOM

On 6/6/2020 at 12:10 PM, Royals Carol said:

No, I didn't change anything to my reservation. I agree with you, it should be 3. Actually, I booked an aft balcony room for 7 nights. No changes. I paid it in full soon after I booked it. It is disappointing that I didn't get a notification of the change. I guess it is what it is at this point.

They should at least refund you the gratuity that you paid for that third night. 

6 hours ago, fshagan said:

They should at least refund you the gratuity that you paid for that third night. 

If you read the thread carefully you'll see that the OP was mistaken about the number of specialty dinners being reduced on bookings made previously. The reduction was only for a new booking made after the program changed. 

So, there isn't a gratuity that should be refunded. Gratuities would have been charged for exactly the number of dinners the OP will receive.