Sailing to & from Ny & NJ

There has been some discussion on the RCL board. 
According to a press conference held on Thursday in NYC. A spokesperson for the port authority was taking questions from reporters.  A question was asked about when non commercial ports will reopen and someone from the PA standing  by the podium said no passenger ships until 2021 from NY & NJ.”

1 minute ago, philpcruiser said:

Then why is that not posted on the panynj website?????

Not sure myself, hoping it’s not so. Have 3 cruises booked from Bayonne for the remainder of 2020. 

These types of comments that were heard or repeated by somebody are all over CC and frequently have not been the whole story.  Sometimes speculation.  So I personally do not get worried until they come from an official documented source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a Cruiser in New York:  Please try to understand the situation here.

Writing from just outside NYC.  New Yorkers have been strong & determined.  I am proud of our state and proud to be a part of our recovery.

As a whole, there has been incredible compliance with tough restrictions for 12 weeks now and counting.  We have done an unbelievable job of beating back a horrible illness brought to us because ...well, everyone from all over the world comes to New York.

If your area has not had a hard-time with this illness, be grateful.  As everyone knows, NYC has had the worst experience with this illness.  The facts are that 1 in 35 people here in Nassau County have had a confirmed case of the illness.  State-wide daily deaths were as high as over 800 and yesterday were at a low of about 35.These tragic numbers are off-the-charts compared with just about every other area of the country.  

Today all restaurants remain closed except for delivery and take-out.  Limited outdoor dining can begin here (just outside the city limits) on Wed....but not in the City.  The City itself has not even entered its first phase of "reopening" which will begin tomorrow.    

BUT today all our numbers are going in the right direction....down.  Less cases, less hospitalizations, less death.  We are beating this beast and no one here wants that to change.

So, when will cruising out of New York Harbor be permitted by the Port Authority of NY & NJ?  That would require a mass gathering of several thousand people from all over the country (and world) to assemble on a pier and ship and return after days together.

Hint:  Last week the world-renowned Metropolitan Opera here in New York cancelled its entire fall season.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PelicanLvr said:

From a Cruiser in New York:  Please try to understand the situation here.

So, when will cruising out of New York Harbor be permitted by the Port Authority of NY & NJ?  That would require a mass gathering of several thousand people from all over the country (and world) to assemble on a pier and ship and return after days together.

What about the tens of thousands of men women and children that have been and are still gathering in large crowds all over the USA in big Cities like New York and smaller ones like Albany.

Are they being stopped from their activities? Are they required to social distance and wear masks?

I have no idea as to a solution, but how can anyone ban one activity and still allow one more dangerous to continue?

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2

I think the question was whether it's true cruises will be banned until 2021.  The OP did not speak as to the justification of such a ban, were it to be true.  Speaking as one booked from Bayonne in June 2021, I hope it's not true.  I'd like all kinks worked out, and I'd like NYC recovered from virus and violence.  

1 hour ago, marieps said:

I think the question was whether it's true cruises will be banned until 2021.  The OP did not speak as to the justification of such a ban, were it to be true.  Speaking as one booked from Bayonne in June 2021, I hope it's not true.  I'd like all kinks worked out, and I'd like NYC recovered from virus and violence.  

We are booked in June 2021 and hoping ti]hings are good by then.

Laura

7 hours ago, boscobeans said:

What about the tens of thousands of men women and children that have been and are still gathering in large crowds all over the USA in big Cities like New York and smaller ones like Albany.

Are they being stopped from their activities? Are they required to social distance and wear masks?

I have no idea as to a solution, but how can anyone ban one activity and still allow one more dangerous to continue?

No July 4th  fireworks at  famous Jones Beach, ,NY and   any outdoor graduations here are  limited to 150 people. Religious services  still severly limited. Mask still mandated,

But protesters are permitted unmasked by the thousands in many locations.. Kind of absurd!

Perhaps this will speed herd immunity and if  there is no big spike it  will hasten a return to cruising.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

But protesters are permitted unmasked by the thousands in many locations.. Kind of absurd!

Seriously?  Fisticuffs have erupted at Costco's over customer's being denied entry without a mask.  Do you want police to risk escalating violence by attempting to arrest mask-less protesters?

As far as NY ports are concerned, situation at local hospitals was pretty touch and go for a while.  Thankfully ICU and ventilator stats are trending down.  Understand the port authority not wanting to risk an influx of covid carrying cruisers.  Less risky businesses such as din-in restaurants, non-essential stores, movie theaters and broadway shows are still shut down and will only re-open slowly. 

• Like 1

I've looked everywhere for a video of the press conference that was referenced in the original post over on the RC board. I can't find it. No one else seems to be able to either, so I'd take that information with a grain of salt. However, as others have stated.. the metropolitan opera closing for the fall season is pretty indicative of the situation there. 

On 6/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, boscobeans said:

Protesting is a right protected by the constitution, recreational travel is not. I live in a small NJ town 10 miles from manhattan, there was a march here yesterday, over 1000 people, every single person was wearing a mask.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 2:15 PM, mjkacmom said:

Protesting is a right protected by the constitution, recreational travel is not. 

Good point — some of the fanatics on these threads seem to feel that their constitutional rights are being denied by the suspension of cruising.  Others insist that vaccination should not be made a requirement to cruise.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2020 at 2:15 PM, mjkacmom said:

Protesting is a right protected by the constitution, recreational travel is not. I live in a small NJ town 10 miles from manhattan, there was a march here yesterday, over 1000 people, every single person was wearing a mask.

So attending a funeral, graduation, birthday party or just having a family gathering is NOT protected by the constitution? 

The point is not one protest was banned, yet almost any other gathering no matter how small or how many were wearing masks was.

And the large protests shown going on in so many places from Washington State to New York show not many people are wearing masks and social distancing is non existent. 

AND I never said Cruising or Recreational Travel was a Constitutional Right.

I bet the Supreme Court would rule that it was.🙂