Cruise Critic Community
FSUNole

Key West Voter Referendum to Limit Daily Passengers and Ship Size

I've not seen this posted on any of these boards.  Looks like the petition drives were successful and this will be placed on the November 3rd election ballot.  Ships can't hold more than 1,300 passengers and the number of daily disembarkations by passengers and crew maximum of 1,500.  And, priority will be placed on ships with the highest environmental scores.  Not sure if these were just arbitrary numbers or if there was any thought put into them.

What ships fit this profile besides Seabourn, etc?

The 1,500 disembarkation max is total to be allowed of ALL ships visiting on a given day.

I should also say this is apparently a non-binding resolution.  It is meant to encourage city leaders to implement the limits.

Interesting.

I found the article but could not read in full with out a subscription to the KW paper. 

I can't say that I blame them - Duval is intolerable when packed with cruise ship gawkers. I'm  sure people living there or staying for a vacation are quite put out. 

I also doubt they spend a lot of money, since KW is just a stop on the way to somewhere else. 

The last 2 times I stopped there on a ship were on the Empress and the Majesty, both times stopping on the way to Havana. 

Those 2 ships would qualify, whenever Cuba cruises start up again with a US regime change.

The same sort of ships that qualify for KW would qualify for Havana harbor, plus or minus 1000 pax. 

This would be a big game changer for us.  We love doing the 4 day cruises out of Miami going to Key West and Cozumel.  Key West is one of our most favorite stops.  We aren't big on Bahamas, and when you don't have time to take a week cruise, those 4 days are just great and what we need to refresh!  Besides more Bahama cruises, what other ports could these ships going out of Miami go?