Alaska 2021 - NCL Epic versus RC Quantum

I'm looking at a Sept 2021 Alaskan cruise with my sister and my adult daughters.  We're trying to decide between these two itineraries ... any thoughts?  Both are out of Seattle and I'm booking balcony accommodations.  We want to do Sept as we hear that's the best chance for the Northern Lights and reduced number of mosquitos!!

Thoughts on the ships and the itineraries?  Recommendations on shore excursions:

NCL Epic 9/19-26: https://www.ncl.com/cruises/7-day-alaska-round-trip-seattle-hubbard-glacier-juneau-and-ketchikan-SUN7SEAICYJNUKTNVICSEA?destinations=4294961386&embarkationport=4294953396&sailMonths=4294940531&numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=price&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=SUN7SEAICYJNUKTNVICSEA

RC Quantum 9/20-27:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-alaska-glacier-from-seattle-on-quantum/QN07SEA-3458007568?sail-date=2021-09-20&currency=USD&country=USA&dates_maxDate=09%2F30%2F2021&dates_minDate=09%2F01%2F2021

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2020 at 7:09 PM, Plant said:

I know you didn't ask, but I'd check Princess for Alaska cruises.  

Or Celebrity.

As others have said, those ships are too big.  The ports in Alaska really aren't designed for large ships.

We were on a one week by land and one by cruise ship last year,the end of August, beginning of September on the Connoisseur land and Sea with Princess. We packed insect repellent but never saw any mosquitos until we were around a pen of Iditarod dogs. We didn't get one bug bite! We also were prepared for rain and only saw it when we got to Seattle. I wore layers the whole trip. Jeans, 2 tshirts ,and my fleece. Some days I was able to leave off one tshirt and if I was cold, I had a rainproof jacket that fit over everything! It was a great trip and I am so happy that we did that LAST year! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Vicky....as others have suggested, Princess is the line to choose when it comes to Alaska.  If you're looking for September of 2022, since the 2021 season will probably be scrapped, you have 4 ships to choose from doing 7 day itineraries.  The newest is the Discovery, coming out in 2022, it's 141 K tons and will have the bells and whistles that you were looking for in your original comparison.

Other choices would be the Sapphire, which is 115 K tons and was refurbished in 2018, the Emerald which is 113 K tons and refurbished in 2015 and the Grand which is 107 K tons and refurbished in 2016.  The Ruby and Majestic are also there but doing 10-14 day cruises. 

By having 6 ships doing Alaska, Princess is the line of choice for those in the know.