Scooters on board a cruise ship

Pawkat

15 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I was run down with one in the buffet.  I had a tray full of food and the driver would not/could not stop after hitting me.

I yelled for him to stop repeatedly and he just kept on plowing into me.  He was making a high speed U turn among all those people and drove right into me without even looking where he was going.  His actions drew quite a crowd and much attention from the other diners.  After he finally got stopped, he took off without saying a single word.  No apology, or offer to help, etc.

My guess is that he was unfamiliar with the scooter and did not know how to operate it safely.  SO...Why don't cruise lines require a brief driver's test before allowing scooters (particularly rentals) on board?

I do use a scooter for long distance and would not be offended at a 'brief skills' test prior to boarding.

It's analogous to turning a 16 year old loose with a Ferrari to see what he can do.  Not very wise, particularly for unskilled drivers.

He should have been reported to security as a safety hazard, and then booted off at the next port.  There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazyank said:

He should have been reported to security as a safety hazard, and then booted off at the next port.  There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

Security:  No way to identify him and he was long gone in a hurry.  How do you get security on the scene within seconds of the occurence?

Booted off the cruise:  I'm sure that wouldn't happen.  They don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  Besides, I'm sure his behavior was a matter of incompetence and  immaturity.

His behavior:  He did not exhibit maturity by expessing an apology and offering help to me.  Instead, he exibited childish immaturity by running away and hiding as fast as he could because he was embarrassed.

A pre-cruise, short driving test, might have identified his inability to drive safely beforehand.

17 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

Whilst a basic driving skills test would be a good idea. It will probably not happen because there will be people who refuse to take the test. 

Undoubetdly!  Then comes the day when we get into liability issues, insurance, lawyers, lawsuits, cruise ship liability, SOLAS regulations, etc. I can see it now:   Massive lawyer billboards at the entrance to cruise terminals:  Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe Personal injury lawyers.  "D,C,M got me a million dollars for my law suit".  Let the Blame Games begin!

And we thought the pandemic was a big problem!

On 10/9/2020 at 3:37 PM, 1980dory said:

Security:  No way to identify him and he was long gone in a hurry.  How do you get security on the scene within seconds of the occurence?

Booted off the cruise:  I'm sure that wouldn't happen.  They don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  Besides, I'm sure his behavior was a matter of incompetence and  immaturity.

His behavior:  He did not exhibit maturity by expessing an apology and offering help to me.  Instead, he exibited childish immaturity by running away and hiding as fast as he could because he was embarrassed.

A pre-cruise, short driving test, might have identified his inability to drive safely beforehand.

On 10/9/2020 at 5:42 PM, 1980dory said:

Undoubetdly!  Then comes the day when we get into liability issues, insurance, lawyers, lawsuits, cruise ship liability, SOLAS regulations, etc. I can see it now:   Massive lawyer billboards at the entrance to cruise terminals:  Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe Personal injury lawyers.  "D,C,M got me a million dollars for my law suit".  Let the Blame Games begin!

And we thought the pandemic was a big problem!

I certainly understand the problem of identifying the scooter driver.  We had the same problem.  An easy answer would be for the cruise line to attach a numbered tag to each scooter at the start of the cruise.  This could be done quite easily at check in.  As for the liability question,  maybe if the abusive scooter users or the cruise line thought they would be held liable for their abuse then something would be done about the few scooter users who are aggressive and dangerous.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

I certainly understand the problem of identifying the scooter driver.  We had the same problem.  An easy answer would be for the cruise line to attach a numbered tag to each scooter at the start of the cruise.  This could be done quite easily at check in.  As for the liability question,  maybe if the abusive scooter users or the cruise line thought they would be held liable for their abuse then something would be done about the few scooter users who are aggressive and dangerous.

Great idea!   How quickly do you you think the cruise lines will get on this?

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

An easy answer would be for the cruise line to attach a numbered tag to each scooter at the start of the cruise.  

How are the cruise line going to secure the tags? 

Another question is how long will it take for some teenagers to swap the tags round?  

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

How are the cruise line going to secure the tags? 

Another question is how long will it take for some teenagers to swap the tags round?  

Easy Peasy!  Just weld the tags on.  That will take the teenagers a little longer to swap them around.

You need to talk to Krooznut for other innovative ideas since he will soon be on the board of directors.
We can solve this problem if we work together.  What do you think Krooznut?  Let's hear from an executive!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

What about rented scooters? I think the rental companies would have a problem with renters welding things onto their equipment.

Yes of course.  But with a rented scooter you have to be a bit more discreet.  After you leave it on the ship, you'll be long gone and if they subsequently discover it, you can always tell them you knew nothing about it.  It may take a little creative explaining but I'm sure there are many options, i.e, blame it on the cruise line, etc.

Or you could get indignant.  Tell them tht if they are going to get petty about such a small thing, you won't be back to rent for your next cruise.  You'll rent from their competitor and spread lies about their company.  Ther are many options for creative minds.  Good luck!

I swear we saw this same person.  He was using one of those huge bariatric scooters and he was an extreme danger. He crashed into a line of lounge chairs at the pool, backed up, and kept on going, never saying a word.  He ran into another scooter in the buffet, hitting it pretty hard.  But here’s the worst thing.  He somehow hooked up his wife’s scooter to the back of his scooter and they rode around like that for most of the cruise.  When asked why the woman couldn’t handle her own scooter he said her dementia didn’t allow her to go it alone.  They were a danger to everyone. 

14 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

I swear we saw this same person.  He was using one of those huge bariatric scooters and he was an extreme danger. He crashed into a line of lounge chairs at the pool, backed up, and kept on going, never saying a word.  He ran into another scooter in the buffet, hitting it pretty hard.  But here’s the worst thing.  He somehow hooked up his wife’s scooter to the back of his scooter and they rode around like that for most of the cruise.  When asked why the woman couldn’t handle her own scooter he said her dementia didn’t allow her to go it alone.  They were a danger to everyone. 

Wow, that sure sounds like him!  But I never saw him taking his wife in tow.  He was solo when he hit me.

If word gets out, thay may eventually identify this guy.  Maybe Sgt. Joe Friday can put out an APB (all points bulletin) or

a BOLO ( be on the lookouton) for  him.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:15 AM, kitty9 said:

But here’s the worst thing.  He somehow hooked up his wife’s scooter to the back of his scooter and they rode around like that for most of the cruise.  When asked why the woman couldn’t handle her own scooter he said her dementia didn’t allow her to go it alone.  They were a danger to everyone. 

This is exactly the kind of stuff that needs to be stopped.

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

This is exactly the kind of stuff that needs to be stopped.

Agreed. Irresponsible scooter use should be stopped. Along with abuse and irresponsible actions of non wheelchair/scooter uses towards wheelchair/scooter use. 

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to break suddenly because someone thinks it's ok for them to cross in front of me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Agreed. Irresponsible scooter use should be stopped. Along with abuse and irresponsible actions of non wheelchair/scooter uses towards wheelchair/scooter use. 

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to break suddenly because someone thinks it's ok for them to cross in front of me. 

Unfortunately, as I age, I've noticed that my reaction times are getting slower and slower.

Likewise my scooter is getting older and I don't think the brakes work as well as they used to.

Drunks staggering in front of me have become a fairly constant problem on cruise ships exacerbating the problem of hitting others.

As to warning them, I once used a portable boat horn that attached to a soft drink bottle.  Fill it with air and I assure you it will get their attention.  Little else does when they have a snoot full.

Elevator bullies:  I just smile and say,  "Go ahead. You need it more that I do.  I'll just take the stairs (on my scooter/wheelchair)".

It's very important to smile and wish them a good day or a pleasant cruise.  Remember:  This is the age of entitlement.  Courtesy and respect are out the window.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Unfortunately, as I age, I've noticed that my reaction times are getting slower and slower.

Likewise my scooter is getting older and I don't think the brakes work as well as they used to.

Drunks staggering in front of me have become a fairly constant problem on cruise ships exacerbating the problem of hitting others.

At least you recognize that your reactions aren't as good as they once were.  Get your scooter brakes fixed for your own peace of mind.  Staggering drunks are a problem for everybody. Our 8 year old Grandson was knocked down by a drunk on the pool deck.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 6:15 PM, kitty9 said:

What hasn’t been addressed is whether a scooter user still has their driver’s license & why not ? A good friend used a Walmart scooter as we were shopping & kept on hitting things on the right- when I asked her about it, she said her eyesight was bad & that’s why her license wasn’t renewed