Norwegian Jewel

Scubadoc

We are considering the Norwegian jewel 14 day Tahiti and Hawaii cruise next April as our 40th anniversary trip of a lifetime. Sure hoping the pandemic is done by then! We have been on a few Norwegian ships but not the jewel.  Maybe some of you can answer one or more of our questions?

We are looking at the aft penthouse suite with the extended balcony. We would also consider the foreward facing suites with a larger balconies but we are worried about the wind.  Any experiences anyone can share?

We really love a quiet private adults only sundeck that has decent shade. If you have a penthouse suite are you able to use the Haven area or not? If not is there another good place for adults only?  Even for an extra fee? 

We also love  The spa and a thermal suite. How is the spa and thermal suite on the Jewel? 

And if anyone has done this specific itinerary do you have any tips or favorite experiences? We are also hoping to stay for a few days before hand in an overwater bungalow in Moorea. 

4 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

We really love a quiet private adults only sundeck that has decent shade. If you have a penthouse suite are you able to use the Haven area or not? 

Not.

We sailed on the Jewel in a Forward Facing Penthouse Suite # 9502, a little over 5 years ago. It was a R/T Western Caribbean out of Seabrook, Texas. The balcony is quite large, and it does get windy sometimes out there. There is a large thick metal door and a smaller regular door to open, for access to your balcony. We didn't have any trouble opening them ourselves to go out. It looks down on a small pool and sunning deck for the entertainment dancers.

We are considering the Norwegian jewel 14 day Tahiti and Hawaii cruise next April as our 40th anniversary trip of a lifetime. Sure hoping the pandemic is done by then! We have been on a few Norwegian ships but not the jewel.  Maybe some of you can answer one or more of our questions?

We are looking at the aft penthouse suite with the extended balcony. We would also consider the foreward facing suites with a larger balconies but we are worried about the wind.  Any experiences anyone can share?

We really love a quiet private adults only sundeck that has decent shade. If you have a penthouse suite are you able to use the Haven area or not? If not is there another good place for adults only?  Even for an extra fee? 

We also love  The spa and a thermal suite. How is the spa and thermal suite on the Jewel? 

And if anyone has done this specific itinerary do you have any tips or favorite experiences? We are also hoping to stay for a few days before hand in an overwater bungalow in Moorea. 

I was on the Jewel last year. I don’t recall an adult only area, but, 14 days to South Pacific you are not likely to encounter children. They will still be in school in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

42 minutes ago, BonnieJeanne said:

I was on the Jewel last year. I don’t recall an adult only area, but, 14 days to South Pacific you are not likely to encounter children. They will still be in school in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JEWEL

There was supposed to be a private adult area for the Haven guests on deck 15 forward -

2 decks above the Spinnaker Lounge deck 13 -

Not much there in amenities - just lounge chairs - not much in privacy - small area

On deck 15 mid-ship above the Haven there is an area port side with cabanas.

As noted by BonnieJeanne you will not find many children on these cruises - school time.

As for lounging in the sun this cruise is in an almost due north-south direction -

North bound the sun rises on the starboard side and sets on the port.

South bound V-V.

The sun would be almost overhead during mid-day -

Aft balconies would perhaps have more sun -

Forward balconies not so much -

Step out to the edge of the balconies and there should plenty of it -

Don't forget the sun protection - this is a prime sunburn area.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

Congratulations on your anniversary!

We have sailed in forward and aft-facing penthouse suites on the Jewel and her sister ships Gem and Jade, on Deck 10 on all of them.  Our forward-facing trips were both through the Panama Canal; each time, we were in one of the suites directly under the Bridge, (10000, 10500), and it was fantastic.  Very roomy cabin, with a bay window, great views on the large balcony coming and going from ports (and of course through the Canal). Yes, there is wind when the ship is underway, but when we were sitting down, it was not a big issue.  Of course, these were mostly very warm/hot weather cruises.  I don't really know what temps you might expect around Hawaii in April.  We would not pick a forward-facing suite on a fall transatlantic, for example  -- too many sea days in likely cooler/cold weather with wind.  I prefer to see where I'm going rather than where I've been, but would make the forward/aft decision based more on the itinerary and average temps. 

The aft-facing penthouse suites on Deck 10 do have very large (deep) balconies.  

Putting weather and wind concerns aside (which of course one should not do when actually booking a cruise), my favorite of all those forward and aft penthouses -- that is, in terms of cabin and balcony -- are the two forward suites directly under the bridge (10000 and 10500).  If you were choosing between those two, we learned the hard way that 10000 is too similar to the phone number of Guest Services, and that too many people on board, even at 3am (or maybe especially at 3am) don't dial their phones carefully!  🤣

This is 10000 on the Jewel:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Happy to answer other questions if I can.

(photos by turtles06)

21 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

Did the Hawaii to NewZealand b3b last November in an aft facing suite. Breakfast and lunch is served in Moderno, but no Haven priverliges, but you get priority disembarktion in all ports and preferred seating in the theater. Tahiti is a lousy port to leave from as there is no terminal, just tents to check in at.

9 hours ago, PinalTraveler said:

Did the Hawaii to NewZealand b3b last November in an aft facing suite. Breakfast and lunch is served in Moderno, but no Haven priverliges, but you get priority disembarktion in all ports and preferred seating in the theater. Tahiti is a lousy port to leave from as there is no terminal, just tents to check in at.

Not many ships leave from there. Maybe NCL could take idea from Paul Gauguin.  You go from bus to lounge on ship to check in.  Maybe NCL could split folks up across lounges.

We love the forward facing suites. To us, they are the best rooms on the ship. The balconies on deck 9 are over 100 sq feet with lots of sun and shade (covered by the Deck 10 balconies). We have done them on scenic routes like Alaska and the fall cruises up the St Lawrence to Quebec. 

The forward facing suites are hull balconies. So, if you are sitting or laying down, the hull sweeps the wind up over your head. That being said, if you are in bad weather, you won’t be able to use the balcony. 

if they are an “S” booking class, you do not get access to the very tiny and sparse Haven. 

The thermal suite is nice, but very small compared to the big ships. There are separate steam rooms, saunas, and plunges in the woman’s and men’s locker rooms. There are a couple of jacuzzis in the coed area. 

AE0D4F17-F2BE-4A92-A47E-7C8AFB48EE65.jpeg

23C22466-B0D3-4A22-AC49-2F86E4883DB8.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

Thanx everyone!  So helpful. Looking to book this trip and hope the virus is done or we have a vaccine. We want to stay a few nights in Moore’s beforehand and I just saw that the Intercontinental has closed permanently because of the virus. So sad. Huge overreaction I believe but it’s the fearful world we now live in. Blessings to all in these days!

I am signed up for that same cruise in both directions. One concern is that Hawaii may still not be allowing cruise ships thru the first half of 2021 according to speculation I read from a Hawaii industry group. Hawaii has been ultra restrictive in spite of few virus cases, maybe due to the disease history 200 years ago. So September 2021 would be a more sure departure.

On picking a boat side, the easterly trade winds may be a consideration. I dearly hope they will still be serving buffets, maybe with sneeze shields. I am vegetarian and want heaps of varied side dishes and no waiter-rationed lump of mock meat or tofu.

Can anyone comment on how handy Jewel cabin 110V power plugs are to chairs or bed? I'll bring a laptop with nearly dead battery which will have to be plugged in while using, and wonder if I need an extension cord. I am tentatively assigned a windowless coffin, er I mean cabin, but aspire to bid for window or balcony.

Edited by dumbth
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dumbth said:

I am signed up for that same cruise in both directions. One concern is that Hawaii may still not be allowing cruise ships thru the first half of 2021 according to speculation I read from a Hawaii industry group. Hawaii has been ultra restrictive in spite of few virus cases, maybe due to the disease history 200 years ago. So September 2021 would be a more sure departure.

On picking a boat side, the easterly trade winds may be a consideration. I dearly hope they will still be serving buffets, maybe with sneeze shields. I am vegetarian and want heaps of varied side dishes and no waiter-rationed lump of mock meat or tofu.

Can anyone comment on how handy Jewel cabin 110V power plugs are to chairs or bed? I'll bring a laptop with nearly dead battery which will have to be plugged in while using, and wonder if I need an extension cord. I am tentatively assigned a windowless coffin, er I mean cabin, but aspire to bid for window or balcony.

Bring a 10 or so foot extension cord and you should be fine - this in addition to the 5 or so foot factory AC cord.

NOW with that noted beware the cabin steward who might possibly disable the charging of your laptop while you

having an out of windowless coffin (Inside Cabin) experience. NCL wants no electrical experiences while the cabin

is unattended.

Also if planning on more than that laptop for electrical use make that extension cord one with NON-SURGE outlets.

The electrical outlets in the bathroom are for minimal application - shavers etc. but can be used for USB charging.

Absolutely No hair dryers high current draw appliances !

Unless this C19 virus comes back with a second wave Hawaii should be good late in 2021 - as for the remainder

of this 2020 year - cruising is pretty much a full NO WASHY WASHY event. First part of 2021 will have to see

how NCL gets all of it ducks in a row.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dumbth said:

Hawaii has been ultra restrictive in spite of few virus cases, maybe due to the disease history 200 years ago.

Or, perhaps Hawaii has had "few virus cases" because they have been (smartly) "ultra restrictive."

• Like 1

We wanted to rebook this cruise for April as ours was just cancelled for September, spoke with our cc and she said that all sailings on the jewel have been pulled until May.

We're in the UK and everything up until May on the jewel has gone from the website, our consultant is based in the USA though and she gave us this information.

I spoke with a supervisor and asked about the March sailing and he said that it was a go . He also said NCL was swamped trying do itineraries in order to get sailing again . I guess I need to wait to see what is happening as the cruise still shows on the website . Just a few days over 9 months until embarkation.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, Turtles06 said:

Some additional views from the forward-facing suites (this is from Jewel 10500):

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Love your pix from the forward facing suite. Question, who are the people on the bow? Haven guests? Platinum Plus (hoping)? Or is it open to everyone? Hoping to do the Canal and Tahiti in the next few years and that cabin looks like a great splurge.

Thanks,

Tony

48 minutes ago, disneykins said:

Love your pix from the forward facing suite. Question, who are the people on the bow? Haven guests? Platinum Plus (hoping)? Or is it open to everyone? Hoping to do the Canal and Tahiti in the next few years and that cabin looks like a great splurge.

Thanks,

Tony

During the transit of the Canal (which we've done twice on NCL), the bow was open to everyone.   They start letting people out there somewhere around 5:50-6:00am.  The railing is quite high, and, if you are short, you will not see much. The crowds in the bow are greatest during the first set of locks, and thin out as the very long day goes on.   Whatever cabin you have for a Canal transit, you want to be sure you are all over the ship that day, taking things in from a variety of perspectives: high, low, fore, aft, midships. 

Other than for the Canal transit, I've never seen NCL open the bow to guests.

2 hours ago, delaware32 said:

I spoke with a supervisor and asked about the March sailing and he said that it was a go . He also said NCL was swamped trying do itineraries in order to get sailing again . I guess I need to wait to see what is happening as the cruise still shows on the website . Just a few days over 9 months until embarkation.

Last report I saw said The Jewel will begin sailing again in late February.  Did not given an itinerary.

1 hour ago, disneykins said:

Thanks,

Tony

Some Captain's open the bow to all passengers.  I know that was a system in place to determine when specific passengers could go forward to the bow area.  There are usually canopies for some shade and cold water in coolers for you.